bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Seekers: The Secret of the Haunted Mansion

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Mar 8, 11 12:36 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystery Seekers: The Secret of the Haunted Mansion? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Seekers: The Secret of the Haunted Mansion

[Post New]by mycatluna on Mar 8, 11 1:41 AM
I had high hopes for this game but 40 minutes into the demo and I am disappointed. There are some good qualities: Achievements are included in the game and there are extra items to keep an eye out for: gems and letters that explain more about the haunted house. I also like the ability to move around freely and the interactive qualities as well as being able to shoot or bomb ghosts; however, the game just doesn't hold my interest. The graphics are so-so; granted I have a wide-screen so they may look stretched on my monitor.

Another gripe is that you do not get to choose the volume for the music or sound effects. Under 'options', you can either turn them off completely or listen at a pre-set volume. I like being able to set my own volume for both music and sound effects.

Also, the story lacks any significant depth. I found myself getting bored rather quickly. It's not necessarily that it is another haunted house theme: just a haunted house story that lacks imagination.

Some may like this game, and perhaps it gets better later on, but 40 minutes into the demo I just couldn't keep playing any longer.

In short, this game could have been so much more if a little more imagination had gone into developing it. I did not look at who the developer is, but if it is one new to game development, they did a good job for their first game. If it is a developer that has produced more than just this game in the past, my suggestion would be to really take into account the reviews that are to follow and utilize that advice going forward. I have a feeling that quite a few fish in the pond will not be all that pleased with this one.

Oh-and fishies-if you do buy the game and play it all the way through, please let me know, whether here or through PM whether or not the game improves the longer you play. After 40 minutes without much improvement though, I won't hold my breath.

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Seekers: The Secret of the Haunted Mansion

[Post New]by heatherington on Mar 8, 11 1:55 AM
Well dang, I was pretty sure this was a sequel so you would think they would know better. But I checked the hidden object list and we had never had a "Mystery Seekers" game before, just sounded familiar I guess. I'm downloading now, will give it a try.

WTF? Another game where you wonder what the heck the developers were thinking. #1 The cursor sucks! #2 What is the use of options if you won't let us choose an option?! Toggles? Really?

#3 And this is no way blames this particular game, but why must every door be locked!?

#4 Please games developers Please do not mix arcade with hidden objects play I don't want to shoot anything.

Dr. Good, I'm with you man, maybe the side of the road.

Another NO BUY!!

Edited on 03/08/2011 at 2:54:34 AM PST

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Mar 8, 11 1:56 AM
Where in the world are you finding these games? Flea market? Dollar store? Along the side of the road? or????
I know they all can't be five star but man! You been throwing some serious junk our way quite frequently! But hey, at least we're being provided an automatic Direct-X check!
Dr.good
p.s. Oh yeah, I forgot. This is the C&R thread. The game is horrible! (comment only)

Edited on 03/08/2011 at 1:58:28 AM PST

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Mar 8, 11 2:07 AM
doctorgood wrote:Where in the world are you finding these games? Flea market? Dollar store? Along the side of the road? or????
I know they all can't be five star but man! You been throwing some serious junk our way quite frequently! But hey, at least we're being provided an automatic Direct-X check!
Dr.good
p.s. Oh yeah, I forgot. This is the C&R thread. The game is horrible! (comment only)

I have got to agree with this 100%. The only games that are good lately are the CE's and this is getting pretty pretty sad!

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Mar 8, 11 2:12 AM
There's been a lot of games lately where I read the negative reviews and I try it for myself and I end up liking this because,honestly, the graphics are not ALL THAT BAD...but this game's graphics really are TERRIBLE. It looks like they were in such a hurry to get this game out that they just decided to add some color real quick-like to the "concept art" and dash it out to the production line. It's really horrid... then in order to navigate through the game there is some really lame pop up box that says "outside left" and it's really confusing...you click on the pop up box...this game looks like it was made 5 years ago and they dusted it off and decided to put it out there anyway instead of improving upon it! Then there's no options....well, there's options for music volume but it's "on and off" no in between...you're STUCK with the volume they give you and THAT's IT! Ummmm... Yeah... ALL OF THAT and SO MUCH MORE that I have no words for is just not going to work and that's all in less than 5 minutes of gameplay and I immediately backed out of the game...deleted it from my game manager and promised myself I would NEVER GO THERE AGAIN! The horrors!

I guess this week's hidden object game is trying to find a good HOG!

Edited on 03/08/2011 at 2:14:00 AM PST

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Mar 8, 11 2:16 AM
I think I'm spoiled rotten. I may have considered this game a year ago, but not now. Found all the clicking text etc tedious. Wasn't interested in the story - was there one? I think I must have skipped the intro. No buy for me.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Mar 8, 11 2:17 AM
doctorgood wrote:Where in the world are you finding these games? Flea market? Dollar store? Along the side of the road? or????

...the MORGUE!!! They have dragged this game up from the UNdead!

molla311
Stingray
Stingray
4,680 Posts

[Post New]by molla311 on Mar 8, 11 2:25 AM
aaarrrrg rolling strained eyes.... Bf I can only agree with Doctorgood.
I do really miss some good ihogs/adveture for my cupons please.

Edited on 03/08/2011 at 2:26:26 AM PST

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Mar 8, 11 2:42 AM
yourshannygirl wrote:

...the MORGUE!!! They have dragged this game up from the UNdead!

Too funny! Yes, it's "The Thing That Wouldn't Die!"
Dr.good

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Mar 8, 11 2:43 AM
*posted in other thread*

I was so hopeful that this would be a really good game. But all I can say is it's horrible.
It was very boring. Not made very well IMHO.
Dev's, if your reading this, you should of put more into this game if you wanted it to sell.
BF, what is going on with you of late?! What's with all these poorly made games your putting out?
I'm a very fair person when it comes to games but the pattern I'm seeing these past couple of weeks, it's not good.

ETA: I'm starting to think quality and customer satisfaction is being put on the back burner. And I know they do need to make money. But how can BF make any money with these games?
I feel really bad saying that because I luv BF. But we have alot of serious PC gamers here, me included that just aren't seeing that quality that puts them above the rest.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Mar 8, 11 2:56 AM
Oh my! This game is so fuzzy and hard to see. Or is it just me? and I need to get a brain scan immediatelly? lol It's so grainy and blurry, I couldn't see anything. You can't adjust anything,sound,music,cursor. Where do I begin or maybe I'll leave it up to the people who are really detailed at describing a game. I am speechless. This game is not for me. So, I'll give it my rating system and leave the rest to others. I have never seen a game that I didn't like, as much as this one. I'm sorry, but I have to be honest.

I'd rate this: PIG DOWN

PIG DOWN:
Rolling in the mudd, don't go near it or you'll get soiled.

‘ ‘
(o)

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 8, 11 2:59 AM
Dr.good

No I ain't gonna I needed that laugh. The sad part is it's possible that there aren't even 365 games made in a year anymore for pc downloads. I think the money is going into iphones. And I ain't gonna give up my analog landline when I can't even see half the games objects on a laptop anymore. By next year we may be reviewing arcade and gem drop m3s. I feel almost compelled to lay money on the duds as collectibles or for heirlooms if they are a thing of the past.

But hey there really are some great SEs here that were CEs, game credits welcome. Then we get a couple blockbusters a year from BF studios, and those great artists in East European countries or outsourced.

Sure, I'll demo this one like yesterday's. That one I really did like (Pirate Mystery) and hope to finish (Comment) if I can get things straight with CS. It grabbed a game credit in the cart instead of my free punch when I said it was really worth a freebie. Guess it wasn't. Oh well, if the games aren't fun at least chatting with other players can be. Getting kinda lonely out here playing alone, worse when nothing to play so (Preview of things to come ) free demo of Mystery Seekers it shall be. Thanks for the warnings (previews and comments) Maybe 2 dogs in a week can win me an ipad. For $6.99 a month I get to pull a game out of the grab bag. As long as I'm having fun I'm in.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Mar 8, 11 3:09 AM
Dr.good

Dr Good, you make me laugh! LOL LOL...I tend to agree with you, the games for the past while have been reallyyy bad, what is the point in trying to fill punch cards when you can't use the credits anywhere anyways? Like alot of fishies said, the only good games are the CE's and not everyone can afford to get them, especially every week..This game today reminds me of I Spy, geared to youngsters, IMHO....I am starting to believe that HOGS and IHOGS are fast becoming a thing of the past....I wish that wasn't true but I remember when we could buy alot of great HOGS and now.......not very often ......Please, BFG, try to pull those wonderful games, apart from CE's, out of hiding and out to the world

[Post New]by rokinrobin0599 on Mar 8, 11 3:19 AM
I only got 10 minutes into the game and had to call it quits! The graphs are so muted I found it difficult to play. This will not be a buy for me.

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by yasure on Mar 8, 11 3:23 AM
Oh gosh, that was bad. Doctorgood was right!
I only lasted 9 minutes and couldn't take it anymore. I have Credits I am just itching to use and there hasn't been a good game out for so long

Edited on 03/08/2011 at 3:24:14 AM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 8, 11 3:29 AM
Downloading now to check it out myself, but where, oh where, is Goofyduck? She dozed off yesterday before giving a review, and none so far this morning. I hope you're feeling OK, Gooofyduck!

ElderJen
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by ElderJen on Mar 8, 11 3:31 AM
It's a miss for me too. Very disappointed and also do not like shoot'em up mixed with hidden objects. Found the hidden objects blurred at times and not easy to find. Did not like the penalties for skipping a game either. What is that about? Are we children to be punished? I play to relax, not to be under pressure.. got enough of that in RL. Can't seem to find anything to spend my credits on lately. There should be an alternative number of points to collect, say 5, so that one could spend it on a CE game... they are the only ones worth looking at lately so it is almost impossible to spend the current credits.

Edited on 03/09/2011 at 1:28:30 AM PST

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Mar 8, 11 3:40 AM
hi all.

I tried it, I really did try it & I wanted so much to like it.

But it was so undirectional, so pointless & I hated than ginormous curser.

I am hoping that everybody in the PC gaming development world is working overtime to get us the next Dying for Daylight ASAP, but I doubt it.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Mar 8, 11 3:55 AM
I had high hopes when I saw the title but once I started playing it was a major disappointment. The cursor for one thing is way too big and it can't be changed. The graphics are what I consider 'old school' and the constant clicking to move around or complete a task is annoying. I didn't get that far into the demo before deciding this game is not for me.

Faylyn

Go to: