bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Samhain Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Mar 10, 11 1:53 PM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Hallowed Legends: Samhain Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

If you are experiencing technical issues with the game, please refer to our Technical Issues thread here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Hallowed Legends: Samhain Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cme550 on Mar 10, 11 2:04 PM
A repost from the previous thread.

Great game! The objects arent too hard to find, the hint and skip buttons refill easily. It's pretty creepy. It's a buy for me!

That being said, I am going to wait until the SE version for this one. It just didnt grab me the way most of the CE's do.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Mar 10, 11 2:57 PM
Since this is the "stickied" C&R game thread now, here's the rest of my game-related comments after finishing Sample Play.
I think this is a fun game, but the one thing I miss is voices, such as in the amazing Phantasmat!
That said, this game is definitely a BUY .
The only question is the CE now? or SE later? I will wait to decide until I've seen some reviews based on the complete game including the bonus content.
I closed my eyes and skipped through some of the mini-games so I could get through the sample, so I can't wait to start under another profile and play it for real, soaking in the art work and sounds (I knew it wasn't an owl but didn't see why it would be a kookaburra in Cornwall LOL).
Eagerly awaiting more info about Bonus Gameplay so I can decide if going for the CE.
Thanks in advance to all who post that info.

moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Mar 10, 11 3:28 PM
I think the bird is a blasted night hawk. Ask me how I know. I just don't know if they have them in Cornwall.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Mar 10, 11 3:33 PM
bonus play was just kinda meh for me...about a little more then a hour.....didnt really grab me....but the length of the main game made me

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Mar 10, 11 3:36 PM
I don't think this one is for me. I played about 20 minutes and the farther I got the more uncomfortable I became. It's full of evil spirits, etc., but why am I not surprised? Such a shame because the game ran well on my computer and the graphics are supurb. However, because of the evil content and the fact that's a CE, it's a no buy for me. ( I wouldn't buy the SE, either, though, because of the content).

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Mar 10, 11 3:41 PM
@ Moonlightgrey: Okay, I'll bite (figuratively speaking, lol).

Why is it not a kookaburra? Remember now, you are talking to an Aussie, lol.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Mar 10, 11 4:08 PM
Reposted from the 'other' thread

Review on Sample Demo

I found this demo to be extremely enjoyable. The Hint recharged quickly enough and I must admit that I 'skipped' the 'combination lock' puzzle, as it was taking up too much of my valuable demo time. I didn't take note of the combination however, so that if I purchase and replay I can take my time working it out. The hidden objects were (for me anyway) easy to spot, and I particularly liked the 2nd H0 (the pond one). Having to find something to get them out of the bottom of the pond, was, I think quite unique. I kept the music low, but the sound effects on, and I didn't find them intrusive or annoying. I could hear a 'crow' or a 'rook' but didn't notice a kookaburra! But I'm good at 'tuning things out' so maybe it was there! Was slightly surprised at the 'boomerang' though, although it did come in handy. And the snow on the ground in October didn't bother me at all!

I liked the achievements that kept 'popping up' during play, and I can't comment on the strategy guide as I didn't use it, but it was nice to know that it was there 'just in case'. I had just found the 2nd Celtic symbol that needed to be destroyed when my time on the sample ran out. The story I found (so far anyway) to be one that I will enjoy. The artwork is nice, the music was OK, and the 'extra' that will probably make me purchase is the promise of 'Bonus gameplay'

I had no Technical difficulties in either download or play. All in all, I found this to be a good game and I will purchase and happily play on from where I left off. I was looking to find how long it was, but it's probably too early to find that out at the moment. Oh Well - off to dl the rest of it and carry on playing, or I may even start again with a new profile (just for the hell of it) Great Game

Kel

[Post New]by wyldedragonfly on Mar 10, 11 4:17 PM
On the previous C & R forum, this post appeared:

by Kalavinka on Mar 10, 11 8:37 AM

Buddha has nothing to do with Pagen beliefs. Buddhism is a religious entity in and of itself. Please do not generalize and lump the Buddha into any religious tradition that happens to be non-Christian. Indeed the Buddha walked the earth at least two hundred years before Christ walked the earth. He taught the principles of wisdom and compassion- and has nothing to do with current trends involving hunky vampires and should not be placed in the same category.-Kala

Just as you do not want Buddha "lumped" in with Paganism - do not assume we are all vampire lovers and that they have anything to do with our religion or spiritual beliefs.

As for the game, I won't buy it - due to the fact that Samhain is one of the high holidays in the Pagan/Wiccan religion and I won't see it made out to something it isn't. I'm sure the many other religions represented on this forum wouldn't buy a game that involved one of their sacred days (really, can you see a Passover or Easter HOG?). A poster in the previous thread said religion should be left out of the games and I agree.

And, for the record, I don't buy vampire games either.

Happy gaming!

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Mar 10, 11 4:24 PM
I enjoyed the 25 minutes of the demo I was able to play. I had no problem with the graphics. I noticed that the words on the word list were a little small and for those with eyesight problems this could be an issue, but I didn't have a problem with it so I went ahead and got the game and I'm looking forward to playing it. Having bonus gameplay is important to me in a CE along with the another "standard CE goodies" Strategy guide and all the other pluses.

moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Mar 10, 11 4:29 PM
Mamajay:

If you ever come to Northern BC, Canada, you have a standing invitation to visit my cousin's cabin 70 miles due north of Vancouver (the somethingth parallel, but I can't remember which one).

There you will be treated to the sweet voice of the blasted night hawk who will shriek you to sleep about midnight and wake you about 3:am.

Said cousin has been known on occasion to shoot off shotgun into the air, to little effect.

It's depressing to think that there are two such birds on seperate continents, but I am willing to give you precidence, never having had the good luck to visit OZ or hear a blasted Kookooburra. You have my sympathy.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Mar 10, 11 4:44 PM
Moonlightgrey, if I ever have the money (and lots of very warm clothes, lol) I just might take you up on the offer

However, just to reassure you, our 'Kookas' are daytime birds, belonging to the Kingfisher family, if memory serves correctly, and I can assure you (having never heard a night hawk, lol) that the bird you hear early in the game is a kookaburra.

I just checked on youtube. There is one called Laughing Kookaburra. See what you think. I couldn't find night hawk (other than planes and stuff)

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Mar 10, 11 4:52 PM
it seems i'm lonely here,for i don't like this game!it is not bad(very beautiful graphics) but i don't like the story !i have some difficulties to understand the celtic allusions,it is not my cup of tea,and not my country;it begins very abrubtly in celtic story and then following strange beast,we walk in snowy land ,then in forest and at least on a dock so....vulgar;i can't come in the game,i don't feel any atmosphere here!i don't finish it,it is boring for me!perhaps to morrow,if i have not better choice....

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Mar 10, 11 6:28 PM
I keep seeing "On a Previous Review Thread" - YOu mean that TGT is an OLD game that is coming out AGAIN as a TGT AND A CE??? WOW BFG WTF??

I think our favorite reviewers have given up on BFG Casualgran, Dr.Good and Goofyduck you are always among the first to review a game like this and such an AWESOME job you all do. But as I haven't played the game (I have stopped even demo/playing CE's because #1 I can't afford them which is why I joined BFG (for quality games for a great price) & #2 because it takes sooooooooooooooo long for them to come out in SE and then they are full of glitches this very well be my last post - we'll see... Come on BFG you WERE the best what in the world is happening - any other fishies feel this way?

Again, just MY opinion and I am a realitive newbee at 5 yrs!

Lean

Edited on 03/10/2011 at 6:34:05 PM PST

JoJoLavin
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by JoJoLavin on Mar 10, 11 6:36 PM
I LOVE this game! Please keep the CE's coming. I so look forward to the diversity and attention to detail in each of these games and the low cost is well worth it.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Mar 10, 11 6:46 PM
Hi Lean, the "On a Previous Review Thread" refers to the original Comments & Review Thread where some of us posted our original game reviews.
This new thread was set up to make it easier to see posts relating specifically to this game rather than to other more generic issues. For another 5 hours or so, this is still the TGT. Hope this helps.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Mar 10, 11 7:15 PM
Well all I can say is WOW! I LOVE this game - and it's really something of a relief to me; lately nothing has really been catching my fancy - I was starting to think I'd lost my taste for H0Gs. Guess I just needed something different, and this game is certainly that . A very unusual storyline, gameplay with just the right level of difficulty, and graphics that are not just incredibly crisp and clear, but beautiful as well. There are a couple of scenes looking out over mountains that are just breathtaking. I've been playing now for just over 3 hours, really taking my time and enjoying the ride. I have skipped several puzzles (the "remove the pegs", "complete the tile picture", and the combination lock - never can do the first two types, and someone said it best earlier about the combo lock; I don't do algebra ), but aside from those I've been able to work out everything with some thought and logic. I would guess that I'm a little better than halfway done, but I could be more than that - the chapter headings in the SG TOC aren't always clear to me, and I'm reluctant to check too closely as I don't want to find something out by accident. That much regular gameplay plus a bonus chapter adds up to good enough value to buy the CE (which I do NOT do all the time, by any means). Add to that some bonus artwork that is actually worth looking at and I am one happy player. Elephant is fast becoming a favorite dev! BTW, did anyone else notice 1) stenciled on a box or crate - "Electric Elephant" and 2) that REALLY creepy little teddy bear from "Mystery Trackers". I love devs with a sense of humor! (of a possible 5).

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Mar 10, 11 7:16 PM
ok, well I just finished the game in hard mode and it took me app. 6 hours. i did not finish the bonus game though yet, i will do that later. it really is a good game, and pretty long compared to some of the others collector's editions that i have bought in the past. I play alot of HOG's, and i must admit i buy alot of collector's editions, probably more than i should, but it seems that lately all the best games are CE, and if i am going to buy a game it might as well be good.

this is your usual HOG, with puzzles interwoven throughout. there are alot of inventory puzzles, walking around, finding things, etc. compared to some other collector's HOG i am satisfied for the bang for my buck. the price is worth the amount of time you will spend on this game.

the artwork is incredible, the locations stunning. I miss voice work though, it would have been nice to hear voices from the characters, but the music and sound effects are great, they don't quite make up for the lack of voice, but they are not annoying or too scary.

i did not have to use a walkthrough except for a few puzzles that stumped me, and i usually don;t get stumped by puzzles. the strategy guide basically tells you all the answers so i try not to use it unless i absolutely need to. there are also a good variety of different kinds of puzzles as well: pipe, safes, codes, put-the-tiles-in-order, line up shapes, etc. i definitely wasn't bored with the game.

the hidden object scenes are well done, with some objects being easy to find, others not so much. i enjoyed looking for the items. they were well integrated and made sense in the scenes.

obviously there is alot to like about this game, but like all HOG's, they become similar after awhile. i guess i have played so many lately that i am getting tired of them? i don't know, maybe i need a break, but there really haven't been any other good games lately but HOG's so i don't know.

all in all, i really liked the game. it's worth the money, and if you like this kind of HOG( supernatural elements and solving puzzles using everyday realistic items) you will like this one too.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Mar 10, 11 8:03 PM
Maybe I'm tired after a long day of work but I'm finding the hidden object scenes fairly challenging. Intriguing story, logical game play, pretty graphics... the only very nitpicky thing that's stood out for me is the artwork is just a tad 'flat' aka there's no depth, no play of light like we've seen in a few other high quality games lately. But that's a minor quibble.

I'm happy with my purchase and I'm looking forward to playing it tomorrow after getting some sleep. ZzZzZzZz

ibn1984
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by ibn1984 on Mar 10, 11 8:17 PM
Goofyduck77, where are you!!!!

Go to: