bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Stray Souls: Dollhouse Story

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 12, 11 12:05 AM
Welcome to a town where something that should not exist runs free; where a desperate wife will risk her beating heart to find her husband; and where a terrible secret lies buried behind an orphanage. Search for clues, solve puzzles, and unlock new areas as you visit spine-chilling locations, play stimulating mini-games and locate Hidden Objects. Stray Souls – A Dollhouse Mystery will take you to a dark and spooky world!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Stray Souls: Dollhouse Story

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Mar 12, 11 12:48 AM
Hi there,
I purchased the CE version of this game as I was enjoying it immensely.
I recommend that you play on the harder mode as realistically most of you could cope with this anyway as the game is very logical and the H0 scenes are still shown with a sparkly area.
I played a second time on the easy mode and found that there was a lot more "hand-holding" and the game was exceptionally easy...which tended to lead to a number of comments about its brevity in the original forum.
Suffice to say, this is a well-developed game with very good graphics (on my system at least), and a good story line...with a few "shocks" along the way to keep you on your toes.
Well worth considering in my opinion.
It seems that CasualGran (in the other comments post and I are both of the same opinion.
Cheers

Edited on 03/12/2011 at 12:55:51 AM PST

kimvy
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by kimvy on Mar 12, 11 1:58 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Hi there,
I purchased the CE version of this game as I was enjoying it immensely.
I recommend that you play on the harder mode as realistically most of you could cope with this anyway as the game is very logical and the H0 scenes are still shown with a sparkly area.
I played a second time on the easy mode and found that there was a lot more "hand-holding" and the game was exceptionally easy...which tended to lead to a number of comments about its brevity in the original forum.
Suffice to say, this is a well-developed game with very good graphics (on my system at least), and a good story line...with a few "shocks" along the way to keep you on your toes.
Well worth considering in my opinion.
It seems that CasualGran (in the other comments post and I are both of the same opinion.
Cheers

Thanks for the review! Might bump this one up on the list.

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Mar 12, 11 2:29 AM
I demoed the CE and liked it and put it on my "to buy when SE comes out" list (I don't normally buy CE's but won't bore you with the reasons!)
I've just downloaded the SE demo and provided there are no problems I will definitely be buying it - there were none with CE so not expecting any.
Thanks for the review

[Post New]by Happy_Gardener on Mar 13, 11 11:21 AM
NOTE TO SELF: Do not buy games without a Blog Walkthrough! This game was EXTREMELY SHORT and perhaps that would have been evident with a 'walkthrough'. While it was enjoyable, the length of time it took me to play was not worth expending my free coupon!!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Mar 13, 11 10:22 PM
Happy_Gardener wrote:NOTE TO SELF: Do not buy games without a Blog Walkthrough! This game was EXTREMELY SHORT and perhaps that would have been evident with a 'walkthrough'. While it was enjoyable, the length of time it took me to play was not worth expending my free coupon!!

Hi there Happy_Gardener,
If, as you said, you were in fact waiting for this game, this would indicate that you had some prior knowledge of it and maybe should have noted that it seems very short in game play - especially if you are on the easier mode. Even the more difficult mode was seemed the same..as I noted in the original premise of my post.
And, to be perfectly blunt, you did not in fact pay for it as you used your free coupon and will still get the stamp for your next month's Punchcard.
And (another and), were you enjoying yourself whilst playing? A number of us in the CE forum also "noted" the brevity of the game, but still admitted that we had had a good time playing. Maybe this is more important with a GAME.
Cheers
ETA The first two posts for this game (and only ones for the first 20 minutes or so) were set up by people who had purchased and played the CE and both CasualGran and I had the same idea...most enjoyable game, but a little on the short side. Maybe it would be worth popping into the forum for some advice before you make your next purchase.

Edited on 03/13/2011 at 10:30:37 PM PST

[Post New]by Happy_Gardener on Mar 14, 11 4:46 AM
Thank you for your input. I will become a more savvy buyer and review posts in the forum before further purchases. However, your post represents a 'false economy' when you suggest that "you did not in fact pay for it as you used your free coupon and will still get a stamp for your next month's Punchcard." Regardless of whether or not it qualifies for 'next month's punchcard', I exhausted a coupon that had value, needlessly. I had to buy 6 games to get the 'free' coupon' and the fact that I could 'use' this purchase along with the purchase of 5 more games to 'qualify' does not diminish the fact that I PAID for this game - or exhausted VALUE when I picked this game. I would have been farther ahead waiting until it went on the $2.99 special!! Perhaps you should re-consider the fact that you are actually 'spending' money when accumulating games. I love this game site, just disappointed by how SHORT the gameplay was in Stray Souls.

melissasignal
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by melissasignal on Mar 14, 11 2:00 PM
To Happy Gardener:
That was a very mature response to a pretty snarky post masquerading as helpful advice; kudo's to you!
As for the game, I also felt it was too short, even with other fishies mentioning its "brevity", I would have been a lot more informed with a peek at the walk-through. It's a really good game- but I can't say it's a GREAT game.

Edited on 03/14/2011 at 2:04:21 PM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Mar 15, 11 12:27 AM
Hi there Happy Gardener,
Yes I can see your point about a "false economy" regarding the use of your Punchcard Credit, and that you/we/I have actually earned or paid for these by purchasing the games.
I suppose it depends on how you view this. Whilst I know that it has cost real money to purchase games, the Punchcard reward is a bonus for me and enables me to (hopefully) purchase a game for free (meaning without actually paying any "real" money for that game).
I was not actually being "snarky" about this, it was just my way of looking at the bonus credits.
To me the false economy is actually purchasing DDs or offers with a special code to reduce the price that still require me to use my "real" money. I have been known to pay the full price on some of these occasions by using either a Punchcard Reward or a Game Club Credit as they have already been "paid for" and need to be used.
And as far as checking the game's forum goes before purchasing, it has been a regular activity for me over the past couple of years since I mistakenly purchased a game that I thought was average but hoped it would get better... it didn't. So yes, sometimes it pays to be a bit more savvy about our selections and check the reviews first.
That said, two of my favourite games in the past 12 months were lambasted on this and another site as very second rate, but those of us who worked their way through them had a great time both playing and helping each other in the game's forum. So, sometimes other's opinions may not really point you in the right direction.
Me? If I have had an enjoyable and somewhat challenging time in the first 45 minutes of the trial (I always play on the harder mode if given the choice), I check the forum to see what my "favourite reviewers" and others had to say, and then go with my own feeling.
Cheers.
PS At the risk of seeming provocative, I hope you find this response mature and without any hidden agendas or snarky comments. None intended.
Cheers again

melissasignal
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by melissasignal on Mar 16, 11 7:24 PM
DragonLadyOz:

Go to: