stevieferr
Clownfish
Clownfish
770 Posts

is it just me...

[Post New]by stevieferr on Mar 12, 11 7:34 AM
or is it taking longer for the SE version of a CE game to come out during which time we are offered a load of rubbish so we end up buying the CE game just for something to play...ive gone off the BFG site today and found Guardians Of Magic..Amandas Awakening its not brilliant but instead of loads of HOGs which gets very wearing after a time especially when you keep going back to the same areas time and time again it contains interesting puzzles.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

Re:is it just me...

[Post New]by bella81762 on Mar 12, 11 7:51 AM
could you pm me where.stevie

and yes...it is taking longer

Edited on 03/12/2011 at 7:51:52 AM PST

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Mar 12, 11 8:01 AM
The collector's edition came out on Feb 11, so this one was only 4 weeks. Shadow Wolf took 51/2 weeks, so Stray Souls is an improvement.

lisam63
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by lisam63 on Mar 12, 11 8:28 PM
yup, shadowwolf was a long time..this one came out sooner i have to take this opportunity to thank BFG for maybe listening to its faithful fishies in the pond..
i am happy ..

hippyfishie
Minnow
Minnow
295 Posts

[Post New]by hippyfishie on Mar 13, 11 12:55 AM
I shot an email off to CS last week about this very issue. They emailed me and told me that SE's come out every 4-6 weeks now.

I told them they should tell everyone because people still think it's 3-4 weeks, but I never got a response back.

bamlink
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by bamlink on Mar 13, 11 9:18 AM
hippyfishie wrote:I shot an email off to CS last week about this very issue. They emailed me and told me that SE's come out every 4-6 weeks now.

I told them they should tell everyone because people still think it's 3-4 weeks, but I never got a response back.

Why sell a game as a SE when it is selling as a CE? They'll wait until CE sales have dropped off. In the future, that could be longer than 6 weeks.

[Post New]by Happy_Gardener on Mar 13, 11 11:27 AM
I was waiting patiently for this game to come out. I used my 'free' coupon to purchase it this morning and was HUGELY disappointed that this game was EXTREMELY short!! I feel I wasted my six-game purchase coupon. From now on, if the game does not warrant a Blog Walkthrough, I will make the assumption that it is of rather short durationn and probably straightforward enough that it won't be much of a challenge.

It had great graphics, but way too short for my dollar!!

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Mar 13, 11 3:05 PM
The reviews posted in the CE forum all said it was a pretty short game, but very well done. They don't have a walkthrough until after the standard edition comes out because a strategy guide is included in the collector's edition. I usually put a high value on length when deciding what games to buy, but lately I've been experiencing a shorter attention span so I thought a good, short game would be a nice change for me.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Mar 13, 11 10:05 PM
Happy_Gardener wrote:I was waiting patiently for this game to come out. I used my 'free' coupon to purchase it this morning and was HUGELY disappointed that this game was EXTREMELY short!! I feel I wasted my six-game purchase coupon. From now on, if the game does not warrant a Blog Walkthrough, I will make the assumption that it is of rather short durationn and probably straightforward enough that it won't be much of a challenge.
It had great graphics, but way too short for my dollar!!

Hi there,
Yes the game did seem to be rather on the short side, however, it costs me a lot more than $6.99USD to see a movie that could be even shorter, and I would have to pay the same again if I want to see it again...I can replay Stray Souls as many time as I like without paying extra. Even purchasing the DVD of a movie is more expensive here for at least 2 years if it is a "hit".
There were many comments in the CE forum as well as this one as to its brevity.
And in regard to it "not warranting a Blog Walkthrough", well it has only been a couple of years since they were published on BFG, as sometimes they are only available after the game has been released. And realistically, the Help system in this game directs most players sufficiently to enable them to proceed to the next action.
Suffice to say, if you finished the game in quick-smart time without needing the WT, why do you feel that this is worth including with your criticism of your perceived disappointment with the game?
Did you enjoy it? Did you want more? Did you have fun playing it?
If you answered "Yes" to any of the last three questions, then maybe you actually got your money's worth after all!!
Cheers

[Post New]by Happy_Gardener on Mar 14, 11 5:06 AM
The benefit of the Walkthrough is that I can gauge how far I have gotten in the game in the trial period and gauge whether the purchase of the game is worthwhile to me. If I manage to get over halfway through a game in the trial mode, then typically I wait until there are specials, or the game is for sale as a "daily special" before purchase. And comparing this to a movie or a DVD purchase, in my opinion is irrelevant. I prefer comparing the purchase price to buying books - I believe movies are a total rip off and pretty mundane, in general. However in my budget, the price of $6.99 goes a long way toward buying a book and a more sustained period of enjoyment, than the hour and a half this game took me to play. Was it enjoyable, yes, but TOO SHORT and the VALUE of enjoyment was NOT EQUAL to PRICE!!

Love Big FIsh Games, however, this one 'missed the mark' for me and in today's economy the value of the dollar in all purchases needs consideration!!! The duration of the game and the feeling of having wasted the coupon diminished the enjoyment of the game for me.

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Mar 15, 11 12:14 AM
I don't think the game was short at all. Can't possible see how anyone could possibly complete this game in 1 1/2 hours

Maybe some people rush through games to maybe break a time record and end up calling it a short game.

This took me over 4 hours to get through! I take my time, read all the dialogue, look at the scenes completely.

I don't feel it was a waste of my game credit at all.

There have been so few decent SE games lately, when one does come along...there are still gripes. Oh well.

[Post New]by Happy_Gardener on Mar 15, 11 3:19 PM
I read all the dialogue, looked at all scenes thoroughly (to capture all the changing objects) and did not intentionally race through the game. I completed the game in the difficult mode in a little over 1 and a half hours!! I thought there was better value in Phantasmat, Serpent of Isis: The Journey Continues and the Charlene Harris game. They were more fun and of a greater duration which made them a better value in my opinion. And, my comment wasn't intended to "gripe" as it was to forewarn others from making the same mistake I did in purchasing this game on the day it was introduced.

Of course some people choose to see the negatives in everything........... (when they are not struggling to find hidden objects.....)

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Mar 15, 11 9:43 PM
rhonayotte wrote:I don't think the game was short at all. Can't possible see how anyone could possibly complete this game in 1 1/2 hours

Maybe some people rush through games to maybe break a time record and end up calling it a short game.

This took me over 4 hours to get through! I take my time, read all the dialogue, look at the scenes completely.

I don't feel it was a waste of my game credit at all.

There have been so few decent SE games lately, when one does come along...there are still gripes. Oh well.
I know I got at least 4 hours out of it, too. I remember when 'The Stroke of Midnight' came out and everyone was complaining it was too short, they finished 5 of 7 chapters in the demo hour. I decided to play it as fast as I enjoyably could and see for myself. I read all the dialogue, but I used a hint for the last object in every H0 scene. I did all the puzzles in what I thought was a reasonable time. I played in easy mode with all the sparkles. I finished 2 chapters in 50 minutes. I still can't understand how people could have gotten through 5, but a lot of people were saying they did. It made me feel pretty slow and stupid for a while, but now I realize I don't have to worry if people are saying it's a short game because I will have at least twice as much playing time as them, and probably 3 times as much if I take my time. I definitely get my money's worth out of a game.

Edited on 03/15/2011 at 9:45:11 PM PST

hippyfishie
Minnow
Minnow
295 Posts

[Post New]by hippyfishie on Mar 16, 11 12:08 AM
Bamlink wrote:

Why sell a game as a SE when it is selling as a CE? They'll wait until CE sales have dropped off. In the future, that could be longer than 6 weeks.

When SE's first came out BF posted that every 3-4 weeks they would come out. I believe that is what I responded to. BF changed that policy, and it was a policy.

SE releases are not randomly released. They were posted on BF and they kept that policy until now.

medic1960
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by medic1960 on Mar 22, 11 5:48 AM
If people want all the extras that CE offers they will buy it. Personally I just want the game and so I wait. Surely no one is that desperate that they would fork out more cash for a CE and get stuff they don't want.
Why can't both editions come out at the same time and allow us to choose which version we want?

ingram02
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

[Post New]by ingram02 on Mar 27, 11 10:03 PM
Personally, I thought it was a great game. I'm no beginner and it took me several hours to complete. Can't say exactly, because I rarely have the time to just sit down and play without interuptions. But I started last night, played for awhile, then came back to it and finished it tonight. I would say it took me at least three hours (not counting the free hour).

But more than the game play, I was thrilled to have an actual conclusion to this storyline! Usually you place an object in a scene, and the cut scene starts to end the game. This game (spoiler alert!) looks like it's finished, but continues for another short puzzle, then has an satisfying conclusion. I was very happy with this game!

Go to: