Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill Remastered

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Mar 15, 11 12:41 AM
No demo! I buy not a game without a demo.

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on Mar 15, 11 12:47 AM
No demo, no purchase. I cant understand why there would not be a demo for a game. What if I dont like it? I dont shop at stores that dont have a dressing room and this is no different

suratsiber
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by suratsiber on Mar 15, 11 1:27 AM
No demo no worry. Believe me this game is awesome. Played some old ND games and they all were fun. This is a must for all adventure games lovers

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Mar 15, 11 1:46 AM
CasualGran

Many thanks for your review. I always read your reviews as well but I too miss Goofyduck - she always covered the points I wanted to know about a game before trying it.
I had noticed that she had not been around for a while and eventually sent her a PM not being sure whether she was on holiday, ill or just not around any more. That was a few days ago and I've not had a reply and whenever I've checked she has been offline.
I'm hoping that she is just away enjoying a hoilday but it is worrying.
But please keep up your own reviews, I find them so helpful in deciding whether a game is one for me.
Thanks again BellaD

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Mar 15, 11 2:51 AM
Hi fishies,

This thread has now been stickied for your convenience!

We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 15, 11 3:23 AM
I can understand the "No demo, no sale" policy by many gamers, but until just a couple of years ago this was standard on all large file games. We never got demos on them, because in order to get a demo the developers have to create a completely separate "game" that only has the first few chapters. It's very rare that we don't get a demo now, so this one really sticks out.

On the other hand, you don't get a demo if you buy this game "in the box" in a physical store, and you're paying $19.99 plus tax if you buy it that way, so for $6.99 I'll take the risk. With Nancy Drew, it isn't much of a risk - I've never been disappointed in an ND game.

As CasualGran stated, the Nancy Drew series is for true Adventure game fans. You don't get sparkles, you don't get an interactive map that lets you jump from place to place, you don't get a helpful pocket dragon or fairy sitting in the corner telling you what to do next.

What you DO get is hours and hours of fun, a chance to really THINK, and for those of us who grew up reading those yellow hardcover books, a chance to be 10 years old again.

Can't beat that!

ETA: Oh, goody! Coins to collect! I'm not sure what you get if you collect them all (an Achievement, I think) but if you go to any closeup and see a slight sparkle, click on that area and you get a coin. I'm not sure how many there are, either. SO far, I found 3.

Edited on 03/15/2011 at 4:10:07 AM PST

honorelle
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by honorelle on Mar 15, 11 4:23 AM
This game is the first reason I have seen for rejoining the BFGC, mostly because I've been replaying the ND games I already own. I'm thinking I'll give it a week, and then reevaluate leaving.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Mar 15, 11 5:12 AM
Couldn't trust my eyes when I saw that there's a new Nancy Drew game out today. Just wondering why it's just a soft release and not a bonafide advertised first rate game.

So cross one off the list, and bring on Shadow Ranch, Twister and the new one.

It's only downloading at the moment, so can't say anything about gameplay yet. (Just hope it dls without problems, I more or less stopped buying games since I had problems with that.)

sparkle76
Marlin
Marlin
9,781 Posts

[Post New]by sparkle76 on Mar 15, 11 5:32 AM
yay!! this is awesome! i am really enjoying this one, it is the 1st in the series i think, but has been completely remastered so the game play is like one of the more recent nd's, so very easy to navigate etc. there are plenty of notes and things to decipher and as sinshack noted, there are coins to collect. you can spend them on sodas, at the jukebox or on an arcade game in the diner.... but i have only played a few hours so i have a lot to go yet i hope!!
have fun everyone!!

Boomer47
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Boomer47 on Mar 15, 11 5:51 AM
Hooray another soft release LFAG.

I am not a big fan of Nancy Drew (the character not the games) but I am a big fan of large file adventure games and when I can score one that I know from past games is a good one for 6.99 (not 19.99 or more) I am definitely going to buy it. I spend lots of time on the AG sites looking for good games at a good price. So nice when they are offered right here.

As noted by previous posters this is not an HOG it is an Adventure Game and it will give you hours of play and enjoyment for your $$.

Thanks again BF and happy sleuthing to all!

[Post New]by SandyBasket2000 on Mar 15, 11 5:51 AM
And I even have a game credit left for this month. Good time to try a Nancy Drew!

WOW

exdir
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by exdir on Mar 15, 11 6:09 AM
What's a "soft release"?

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Mar 15, 11 6:13 AM
exdir, a soft release is the non-advertised sneaked in release below the normal release on the left side of the main page.

Usually there is one game released per day, but on some days there are 2 or even three. The first game in the list is usually the main, shiny in the spotlight game, while the other one or two are just bonus releases, or "soft" releases.

slyeyes
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by slyeyes on Mar 15, 11 6:39 AM
I dont post much but today is a good day a ND with a game credit!!!! I've loved all the rest of ND games. luv to read all your posts but still missing goofyduck. thank you casualgran and the rest of you that keep us informed.

[Post New]by MarySATX on Mar 15, 11 8:14 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:No demo! I buy not a game without a demo.
Ditto!

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Mar 15, 11 8:59 AM
I don't have any Nancy Drew game, and I don't think I've ever played one, that I can remember.

Is it one of those games where you have to make them walk and turn around etc?
I'm not very good with those.
Jo

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Mar 15, 11 9:04 AM
As one who is a long time ND sleuth, and has purchased EVERY single game of ND they put out (from the 'HER Interactive' -- Nancy Drew site), all I can say is, they are great adventure-strategy games indeed.

One of the first games I played of theirs years ago, was this one 'Secrets Can Kill', but this was while it was in its original form. Because I have not played the 'remaster' version as depicted here, it is going to be a buy right off the bat, and I don't care there is no demo. That is how much I enjoy the ND games, and I'm looking forward to seeing the new changes, as well as new story ending. ND games keep one on their toes, and their thinking caps on, to solve the great puzzles. I prefer the Senior Detective level, as there is less hand holding.

Off to download it now, because paying the $6.99 here versus the more expensive price I have paid for all (30 something with S/H), at the other site mentioned above, is another plus in my book. I just realized though, that I still have 3 game credits left out of the five earned last month.... so this will be a free download for me.... could it get any sweeter then that!? I think NOT, and the whole family will enjoy another ND game--an oldie but goodie, with a new graphic twist and ending.

Another great aventure series is the 'Myst' games. I would love to see BF carry those as well.

Edited on 03/15/2011 at 9:29:28 AM PST

[Post New]by hideobjectaddict on Mar 15, 11 9:21 AM
MarySATX wrote:
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:No demo! I buy not a game without a demo.
Ditto!

Double ditto, still have 3 cards from last month & can't find a single game this month worth using, considering the money spent to fill those three cards! Now all this raving about a game I can't even try is almost as bad as not being able to use our credits on C.E.'s. All that's available & worth purchasing are the regular editions of the games I've already spent $14.00 on to begin with. Just tired of trying to rationalize keeping my membership going, so far this month, I can't. From what I've been reading, I won't be the only one dropping this membership due to poor choices of games. Can someone please suggest a good adventure &/or HOG game to spend my credits on? Thanks in advance, hideobjectaddict (includes adventure games)

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Mar 15, 11 11:09 AM
I am not a LF Adventure game fan...hence making me not a Nancy Drew fan. However! For those of you who don't want to buy without a demo, I can say that you would not be disappointed. I have a couple of Nancy Drew games, and I loved them at the time. (I just don't happen to enjoy that style any longer) The artwork is always great. The storyline are always very interesting and pull you into the story. You have to be willing to think things through and yes, there can be a lot of dialogue and going back and forth between scenes. You won't be spending just a couple hours on a game like this. If you are one who likes LF adventure games and understand what they are about, you are sure to enjoy this one.

Happy gaming fishies...I am happy for you all cause I know there has been a lot of call for another ND release.

[Post New]by sugarcitygirl on Mar 15, 11 11:12 AM
lilTweet7 wrote:
Another great aventure series is the 'Myst' games. I would love to see BF carry those as well.

Wow! It has been a long time since I have seen a Myst fan like myself! I own every Myst game that has been developed and I have played them at least 3 times each.

I have purchased at least 15 Nancy Drew games at the full store price (19.99) in the past and never been disappointed. That is actually the reason I signed up with BFG, although I have also become a HOG fan as a result. I am dying to play the new Nancy Drew titles that have recently shown up on store shelves, but I am trying hard to be patient until they come to BF!

Go to: