Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Echoes of Sorrow

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 18, 11 1:47 AM
I posted it elsewhere, but won't let you alone, CasualGran!

3 minutes of play, and it was mine! Alawar

It can be very serious competition to yesterday's CE: clear graphics, visual and undistorted objects, not blended to the background, very helpful hint system, and intriguing plot.

Thanks, developers, thanks BF!

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Mar 18, 11 1:58 AM
I've played for 25 minutes, and thought I'd look into the forums with my initial impressions. I've just completed the house area.

The game started up slowly, which caused me some initial concern, but once it started, everything behaved itself.

The game has black border left and right on my laptop's wide-screen, which I know some people don't like, but I don't have a problem with that. The graphics and artwork are clear and cleanly drawn, and nicely colourful. So far, none of the Hidden Objects have been blended into the background or particularly over/undersized. As for finding the objects, I haven't had any difficulty locating them in the scenes, and none were tiny. There is no difficulty setting, so you get twinkles on items you ought to examine more closely or pick up, and the Hidden Object areas have the sparkles.

The puzzles so far have been simple, usually just collecting pieces and putting them into place – variations on the usual jigsaw type. Those times you need something referred to elsewhere, it's always been fairly close by so you are not walking miles to re-check something. I'm not sure if it'll be similar elsewhere, but so far as you fix/do each mini-puzzle or object, you get another fragment of something you need for the final puzzle of the area.

The music is soft and pleasant, and fitting with the mood and storyline of the game, which has so far been a mix of happy memories and sadness.

I'll certainly be getting the game – which totally messes up my punch-card plans (only 3 to go for another full card, and there's a CE I've been very tempted by).

Edited on 03/18/2011 at 2:00:01 AM PST

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Mar 18, 11 2:13 AM
Ok game...

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Mar 18, 11 2:51 AM
I played for 25 minutes and I bought the game. Seems a good one.

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on Mar 18, 11 3:06 AM
I think I am really liking this game. I hope it is long enough. I am not one for the stories. I am more into the game play.

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on Mar 18, 11 3:19 AM
Elkestra wrote:I've played for 25 minutes, and thought I'd look into the forums with my initial impressions. I've just completed the house area.

The music is soft and pleasant, and fitting with the mood and storyline of the game, which has so far been a mix of happy memories and sadness.

I'll certainly be getting the game – which totally messes up my punch-card plans (only 3 to go for another full card, and there's a CE I've been very tempted by).
\

Thanks for your thoughts on this one............... I'll buy it. Dark Parables latest edition looks great if you haven't checked that one out yet...

ElderJen
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by ElderJen on Mar 18, 11 3:21 AM
I like this game but would like to know how long it is, if anyone can let us know... since the walkthrough is delayed, there is no way of knowing but my first impression is that it might be a little on the short side.

Later... although it was a little shorter than I hoped (5 areas to work with), never-the-less I enjoyed it. The graphics and clarity were great and the music was very gentle on the mind. Everything else has already been said. Worth using my credit on.

Edited on 03/18/2011 at 6:06:51 AM PST

Goop_10
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by Goop_10 on Mar 18, 11 3:36 AM
Great graphics and sounds...interesting storyline - try it for the whole hour, this is another BUY for me

4/5 Stars

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Mar 18, 11 3:38 AM
Elkestra wrote:I've played for 25 minutes, and thought I'd look into the forums with my initial impressions. I've just completed the house area.

The game started up slowly, which caused me some initial concern, but once it started, everything behaved itself.

The game has black border left and right on my laptop's wide-screen, which I know some people don't like, but I don't have a problem with that. The graphics and artwork are clear and cleanly drawn, and nicely colourful. So far, none of the Hidden Objects have been blended into the background or particularly over/undersized. As for finding the objects, I haven't had any difficulty locating them in the scenes, and none were tiny. There is no difficulty setting, so you get twinkles on items you ought to examine more closely or pick up, and the Hidden Object areas have the sparkles.

The puzzles so far have been simple, usually just collecting pieces and putting them into place – variations on the usual jigsaw type. Those times you need something referred to elsewhere, it's always been fairly close by so you are not walking miles to re-check something. I'm not sure if it'll be similar elsewhere, but so far as you fix/do each mini-puzzle or object, you get another fragment of something you need for the final puzzle of the area.

Excellent write up, you've convinced me to use one of my credits. Thank you.

maddee51
Clownfish
Clownfish
689 Posts

[Post New]by maddee51 on Mar 18, 11 3:49 AM
Great game liked the fact that you can change your cursor (always a plus for me - devs please note thank you!)

Good story line and the graphics/music are of a high quality. Have more or less finished the college story soooo methinks this is at least 3 hours long maybe more which in my book for a SE is ding ding a BUY for me!!!! this will take me to a punch card credit so a win win situation.

Yes it is a bit creepy but hey after puppets and clowns I'm creeped out already definitley 4 out of 5

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Mar 18, 11 4:27 AM
Played 10 minutes and will definiely spend one of my pc credits on this one. Good graphics, nice story, you might get bored by the music after a while. Regular mini games. A buy. (Didn't try the hint yet so no opinion about the length).

GameLvr30
Stingray
Stingray
4,785 Posts

[Post New]by GameLvr30 on Mar 18, 11 4:32 AM
The game only took me about 1 hour and 30 minutes to finish and that was using no help. There are five areas to explore. The four around the statue (home, college, prison, church) and one after they are completed.

It was a fun game with an interesting storyline but very, very short.

ETA:

I just wanted to give you all a better idea of length by telling you that when my 1 hour trial ended I was just entering the church.

This way you can judge how far you are at the end of the trial and see if how I play matches up with how you play. I also want to mention that I skipped no dialogue or puzzles so my time is based on the entire game experience.

Edited on 03/18/2011 at 6:18:43 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Mar 18, 11 4:43 AM
Alawar, I'm there! Say no more. Bought before I even downloaded it.

sylmide
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by sylmide on Mar 18, 11 4:54 AM
What can i say, other than after 38 minutes it just didn't grab me like that Dev's games does do for me it is a no buy, but good luck to those that do buy, i am sure you will have fun.

[Post New]by chris122049 on Mar 18, 11 4:57 AM
Is this a FROG? It looks like it in the scene they show?

sheilaclown
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by sheilaclown on Mar 18, 11 5:12 AM
Sorry... I cannot get into this sad and sorry game. It's slower than frozen molasses going uphill. The storyline seems almost non-existent so far. The hints are not too helpful - mostly send you back to where you were with no idea as to what to do. I am very disappointed as I usually like Alawar games. This is NOT for me.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 18, 11 5:38 AM
chris122049 wrote:Is this a FROG? It looks like it in the scene they show?

No, it's not a FROG, at least in the part I played. You do need to collect parts of things (like pieces of a photo, 6 paintings, etc.) but you find the separately in different locations, either from H0 scenes, inside other objects, or just laying around the scene.

The "between scenes" load a bit slowly for my taste, but so far it is interesting and a bit different. Yes, the premise has been done before - main person loses memory, has to check out different locations to get her memory back - but little twists and the slightly iHOG nature of the game make it worth spending my credit on. It's not a true iHOG like Puppet Show, but you do collect inventory items that have to be used in other locations, so I'd call it an iHOG-lite. You don't use the items instantly, and a tutorial hint said that sometimes you use items more than once.

Overall, I think I'll get my credit's worth out of this one. I'm going to finish Puppet Show before I work more on this one (I had a busy day yesterday, so I didn't have time to finish that game) but I should get to it this afternoon. I know GameLvr said it took (her?) only an hour and a half to finish, but I'm not nearly that good, and I usually take at least double her time, so I'm expecting at least 3 hours of game play. Hopefully, a few more gamers will post their times so we can get a good idea what to expect.

Oh where, oh where has our Goofyduck gone? Oh where oh where can she be? With her fins so fast and her brain so sharp, oh where oh where can she be?

Edited on 03/18/2011 at 5:39:12 AM PST

scpotamus
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by scpotamus on Mar 18, 11 6:03 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed the hour, Nice graphics, sound not intrusive, no overclick penalties that I noticed. Very easy hog scenes. But...

I like games that are a bit more challenging. This one has plenty of handholding. At times I felt that I was just there to do the clicking and the game was just throwing itself at me. Also, I had a feeling it was going to be very short, which some of you here have confirmed.

I think this is a great game for any of you that want a nice easy play that will be pretty low on the frustration scale.

For those of us who don't like a lot of handholding though,..maybe not so much. I did like it though...just not sure if 30 more minutes of play is worth buying it for me.

It is really good even if it is too easy!

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Mar 18, 11 6:07 AM
this is an ihog has very clear and crisp graphics. sound effects were not overbearing. you can skip the dialogue if you want. you have the option of custom game cursor or regular cursor. in the beginning you can have an in game tutorial.

within the first few minutes, i thought i was stuck and was scratching my head but i figured out what i needed to do. i like how you are traveling through your mind remembering.

i only came upon one small glitch and it was like the game froze on me, i hit esc nothing happened then i hit ctrl alt del and before the task manager could come up the game asked if i was sure i wanted to exit and lose any unsaved game. after that the game played great.

i have full screen on my 24 inch monitor so yay. i hate those black bars, i am glad that developers are listening. i am not sure how long game will be but i don't care as i feel it is going to be an excellent game.

i give this game 4 1/2 out of 5.

lucyloket
Guppy
Guppy
138 Posts

[Post New]by lucyloket on Mar 18, 11 6:34 AM
I too reached the church with 5 minutes left on the demo. If that's the last area to play then there's no way I'll be purchasing the game - waiting for the walkthrough to check.
The game is easy - Hid Obj scenes need no real skill and I only referred to the lists for the last 1 or 2 items. Some areas are revisited for further hid obj lists.
Easy to navigate the screens & I agree that the load times were a little slow but nothing to be really worry about!
Graphics okay. Sound ok. Storyline unoriginal (mind you, I guess it does get hard to keep thinking up new ideas, so no grumbles about this).
For me, it was simply 'Meh'.......... 2 out of 5.

Go to: