bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Shades of Death: Royal Blood

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 19, 11 12:05 AM
After your father dies, your sister Violet requests your help at the Family Castle. After arriving, things seem to be in disarray. Explore the castle and help Violet get to the bottom of a dark mystery in Shades of Death: Royal Blood. Use your Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure skills to explore the grounds and solve tricky puzzles. Discover what had frightened your father and find the truth behind his death.

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

Re:Shades of Death: Royal Blood

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Mar 19, 11 12:14 AM
Played it on another site and just wanted to state that I recommend this game. A definite buy. Great graphics, lots of challenges and a good hint system.

Goop_10
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by Goop_10 on Mar 19, 11 12:20 AM
So may great HOGs are released these day Echoes of Sorrow, PuppetShow 3 CE and this game

Great game, from the creator of Reincarnations and Elixir of Immorality so it sould be wonderful. I love this game! Another BUY from me

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Mar 19, 11 12:30 AM
I purchased with my last credit and so happy to use them up! This has to be one of the most productive weeks for gaming in a long time. Keep 'em coming BF

I will add more after further play. I only made it inside the castle door and now back to bed.

Everyone enjoy!

GKj

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Mar 19, 11 12:35 AM
This isn't a review as I haven't played the whole game but a heads up for fishies.

Not a big download.
For those that love their IHOGS traditional - you start with how to get gloomy gates open so you can get to castle and chase away evil, this is for you. Got a good dejavu feeling with it.

There are 2 modes expert (no sparkle areas - ) and casual. There is a widescreen option which didn't work on my windows 7 laptop - so black sides for me.

The H O scenes are a bit junk pile and some items hard to find for me

. The puzzles also have a ? in the upper left screen for some obvious hint for the puzzle as well as a skip button. The hint button does do "weird random spirals" if you click too much on H O scenes.
There is a task button to remind of what you are to do.

It looks like a good IHOG and a buy for me, but not without it's negatives - junk pile, hard to find objects in H O scenes and widescreen doesn't work with me.

Edited on 03/19/2011 at 12:38:46 AM PST

nwr1948x
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
15,360 Posts

[Post New]by nwr1948x on Mar 19, 11 1:06 AM
Looks like a hat-trick of H0GS ! sorry bank manager !

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by mmemubon on Mar 19, 11 1:10 AM
Dark and spooky game, a lot to do at the beginning. A buy for me.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Mar 19, 11 1:27 AM
gingergal said:
It looks like a good IHOG and a buy for me, but not without it's negatives - junk pile, hard to find objects in H O scenes and widescreen doesn't work with me.

The option in the Mac version says full screen, not wide screen. Interesting if the PC version is different. Also, even when there is a "Wide screen" setting in some games, the games still view with side bars. I think it has to do with aspect ratio of some (older in computer terms) screens.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Mar 19, 11 3:33 AM
I've posted in the 'other' review thread as weil, but don't know which one will get 'stickied' so I'll add my comments here too.

For a really in-depth review read what Elkestra has to say. I just be repeating it, but I will add: This is NOT a large download, so going on the size I would say not a long game, but it's been intriguing up to now.

The widescreen/full screen option didn't do anything for me either, but I can live with the black bars either side. I did turn the music low, but left the 'sound effects' as they were. I'm playing in 'Expert' mode' so no sparklies, but you still get asked if you want a tutorial.

There are 'no voices' just dialogue to be read, which can be skipped if you want (personally I read it all! Adds to the 'fun') There is also a 'journal' to click on to update yourself on what has happened so far.

I did find some of the H0G scenes to be quite dark, with objects very well blended in, may cause problems for those of you with 'failing eyesight'. Some of the objects you pick up and use, do have to be retrieved, to be used again further along!

I did have to 'skip' the gate puzzle (Knight/Dragon) because I couldn't get them in the correct position, and was getting 'grrrrr' with it! I found them quite 'clunky' to move.

(Could I add at this point though: The WALL has fallen down in parts, and could be easily climbed over! WHY do I have to do a PUZZLE to unlock the GATE!!) Just another little gripe from me.

The puzzles up to now have been OK, but I will say this SLIDER ALERT. I know some of you don't like them, but there is a 'Skip' button even in Expert Mode. Don't know about cursor overclicks - or how long the hint takes to re-charge as I haven't done or used either.

So far, I am a happy little bunny (3 goodies in 3 days, YAY!), and I used a Punch Card credit to get this one, so I'm going back to the creepy castle in darkness, with the ghosts floating about, and the nasty evil things, doing their nasty unspeakable 'dark deeds'!

Happy gaming everyone

Kel

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 19, 11 4:35 AM
It's a "buy" for me since I had one free code left due to expire end of month and mainly because I LOVE Vogat games ever since their first Reincarnations Awakening, creative and well crafted. Haven't been much in the market for any lately with such a backlog of CEs and dark dreary games and I wait for some light entertainment, especially this depressing week.Title was a turnoff and screen shots very dark, but many times when I demo them they display much brighter on my screen than on the game page. Have my pc monitor bumped to 100%.

I really like their HOGs, altho on the pile style, taking my time most objects are well delineated, and challenging, sometimes colors are not what expected, like a frog may look like a toad, but nothing of the same ole. Just take my time and use more hints than normally to get on with the story and gameplay.

Their games usually have some nice animated surprises to amuse, and since I am slow and tend to get lost or forget where to go back to it's plenty long for me. The graphics are tasteful and well rendered. We've sure had our share of ghosts and castles or old haunted mansions. But so far it's been entertaining once I got inside the castle.

It isn't a long file, and only takes 256 Ram, so running fine on my old pc XP, don't expect any tech problems, never have with Vogat. Haven't even tried it on my widescreen l7" laptop but expect I'll get the black bars on W7 64bit, and a smaller picture than on my 15" full. On reg monitor I clicked Full and it said windows mode is not an option (?) don't know what that's all about but fills my reg screen.

Skipped some of the puzzles, did some in the hour, I'm sure I'll need a WT on some that confuse me how to manipulate the objects. Some you have to wander around to get more pieces (and remember where to return to the puzzle to use them). Maybe I should turn off the TV and focus. Well, at least it isn't located underwater, just got through Phantasmat with Japan on all night, not in that mood!

Second game in 2 nights with a missing or dead sister, one before searching for lost boyfriend in peril, didn't buy. Just finished Spirit Seasons Little Ghost Story today, yep, drownings too. Sorry, just want to lighten up, but free Vogat game, can't complain, maybe work on it another day if a downer.

Too much of a good thing this week?
Well, better get back to the castle and hide out where there is some good music and pictures. Thanks Vogat and BF for the bonus game

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Mar 19, 11 10:42 AM
shorenuf wrote:gingergal said:

The option in the Mac version says full screen, not wide screen. Interesting if the PC version is different. Also, even when there is a "Wide screen" setting in some games, the games still view with side bars. I think it has to do with aspect ratio of some (older in computer terms) screens.

Now that's interesting that mac doesn't give you that option! Yes in PC it is fullscreen or widescreen. It depends on the developer of the game if widescreen works with me or not. Phantom of the opera works in widescreen for me, while 13 skulls didn't. And I have changed my resolution.
And maybe it is my aspect of 'set' resolutions I can change it to. But a nearly 2yr old high end laptop with widescreen still should work
Sorry it is a pet peeve of mine, that not all games have a TRUE widescreen option and work!

VOGAT
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by VOGAT on Mar 20, 11 7:36 PM
Dear players,

Thank you for your choice. We are very happy that you enjoyed our new game.

Sorry for some slightly dark scenes in the beginning of the game. The next scenes are lighter. Moreover, there are also very bright locations (in the world of ghosts / dead). Hopefully, after the first few scenes the game will be enough light for you.

Please write here your thoughts about the game. It is very important to know your opinion. What do you like? What do you want to improve? Together we will make our new games even better! That's all for you, we appreciate you very much.

Thanks in advance.

Askold
CEO
Vogat Interactive

P.S.
If you like Shades of Death, you may play our other games, I hope you'll like them too:
- Elixir of Immortality
- Reincarnations: Uncover the Past
- Columbus: Ghost of the Mystery Stone

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Mar 21, 11 10:04 AM
Great game! I enjoyed it! Played in Expert mode (no sparklies). Lovely graphics, I didn't find HOGS too difficult or dark. Mini games were challenging but not too difficult. The only one I had trouble with was the piano. SPOILER: I kept trying to read the music the way you would read music (silly me) all the way across the top then move down to the next line. I didn't think of hitting the first note then dropping down to the next line and the note there! That one frustrated me and I ended up skipping it! The only complaint I have about the HOGs is my standard one, giving more than one option for a list item. SPOILER: For example, in one scene the list object was drum stick, and there was a little drummer in the scene with a stick in his hand!! yet, no, that was no the one they wanted you to find. There was another larger drumstick hidden in the pile. *sigh* Fine. And lastly, I too found the game too short. Took me 2 hours 40 minutes, I played in expert, read everything, looked around a lot, and only skipped the one puzzle mentioned above. Never used walkthrough or the forums.
But overall, enjoyed the game a lot!

rtrooney
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by rtrooney on Mar 26, 11 7:39 PM
Goop_10 wrote:So may great HOGs are released these day Echoes of Sorrow, PuppetShow 3 CE and this game

Great game, from the creator of Reincarnations and Elixir of Immorality so it sould be wonderful. I love this game! Another BUY from me

Just have to say that I've been scrolling through potentially playable games, and have come up short. This game and EOS didn't even reach the end of demo stage. Started playing the original two Puppetshow games. Think they will make the cut.

queencate
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by queencate on Mar 27, 11 3:21 PM
VoGat , I played all the games you mentioned but the Ghost of the mystery stone locked up on me several times , i heard music but nothing else , i saw where others had same complaint , i wanted to play that game so i thought i would wait and reinstall ..what do think

kcasey57
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by kcasey57 on Mar 27, 11 9:44 PM
VoGat...I have played quite a few of your games...for the most point I have thoroughly enjoyed them..always beautiful back grounds and scenery..I have played the puppet show series and loved them, elixir of immortality, reincarnations and quite a few others....I enjoyed the scenery in this one...the only problem it was too short...it took about 2 1/2 hours straight play time...now was the game worth the purchase? yes it was. would I recommend it? yes. keep up the good work guys...

AliceFranz
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by AliceFranz on Apr 8, 11 7:32 AM
from the very first scene it looks like a good developed game!
loved the minigame with the knight and dragon, it was soo fun to move the parts! keeep on in that way, guys!

Go to: