peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for The Insider Tales:The Stolen Venus 2

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 20, 11 12:14 AM
The first Stolen Venus came out 2 years ago. This should be interesting. I am DL now, could we have 4 H0G's in a row that are worth playing? I think that this is the 3rd. Insider Tales, please feel free to correct me if not! LOL!

Edited on 03/20/2011 at 10:18:31 AM PST

kimvy
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by kimvy on Mar 20, 11 12:17 AM
peglegann wrote:The first Stolen Venus came out 2 years ago. This should be interesting. I am DL now, could we have 4 H0G's in a row that are worth playing? I think that this is the 3rd. Insider Tales, please feel free to correct me if not! LOL!

Just about to ask "there was a #1?" so thank you for being on the ball and having a great memory!

Was #1 any good, or at least good enough to warrant a part 2?

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Mar 20, 11 12:20 AM
kimvy wrote:
peglegann wrote:The first Stolen Venus came out 2 years ago. This should be interesting. I am DL now, could we have 4 H0G's in a row that are worth playing? I think that this is the 3rd. Insider Tales, please feel free to correct me if not! LOL!

Just about to ask "there was a #1?" so thank you for being on the ball and having a great memory!

I thought there was another Insider tales and I thought I remembered that I enjoyed the demo...can't remember if I was in a position to purchase it at the time. I cannot believe we have a 4th HOG in a row? Is it really true. I am D/L it now also! Can't wait to play and it's 1:20 am...can't sleep! Good thing it's Sunday! LOL!

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Insider Tales:The Stolen Venus 2

[Post New]by saphhire on Mar 20, 11 12:33 AM
So far enjoying the game, but since it's 3:30am getting a little tired. scenes are clear objects are not so tiny that you need triple xxxxxxxxxxxx glasses to find them thats a plus for me. Keep it up big fish this maybe the 3rd **** that I purchase this month. Your on a roll don't let that stone gather any moss.

Blackie61958
Shark
Shark
12,595 Posts

[Post New]by Blackie61958 on Mar 20, 11 12:36 AM
Insider Tales: The Secret of Casanova
Insider Tales: Vanished in Rome
Insider Tales: The Stolen Venus
Insider Tales: The Stolen Venus 2

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 20, 11 1:03 AM
Blackie61958 wrote:Insider Tales: The Secret of Casanova

Thank you Blackie61958. I remember now that I was not keen on the Vanished in Rome. LOL!

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Mar 20, 11 1:04 AM

Thank you, Blackie, for that list--now I remember! If this newest one plays anything like (or better than) Vanished In Rome, I think we're in for a treat! And can you believe it? Four credit-worthy/purchase-worthy games in a row!

(P.S. Hey peglegann--guess we met at the intersection, but looks like we're going in different directions on Vanished In Rome! LOL)

Edited on 03/20/2011 at 1:07:17 AM PST

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Mar 20, 11 1:12 AM
I rarely delete a trial game after five minutes because I like to give games a chance, but I did so with this game. The play was sluggish (at least on my computer), so it had that "slo-mo" feeling. The first Hidden Object scene had a pair of scissors that were to cut something to find a coin: I tried for several minutes to cut everything in sight, but no luck and the hint button (which I also don't like to use) was no help. So, I asked myself, "Do I really care about the stolen Venus?" and realized I didn't.

Maybe I was influenced in my impatience by having replayed tonight Vogat's Elixer of Immortality: now that's a good game--creative, innovative, mysterious, and challenging!

2dogsx2
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by 2dogsx2 on Mar 20, 11 1:27 AM
very **** hum, its interactive, but not challenging, could be for some though, recent games have been very good, especially another puppet show game, which im off to play again, but this one, no, not even on a rainy day

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 20, 11 1:28 AM
kimvy wrote:

I cheated I am afraid I looked at my purchase history, to get the info. LOL!

This game has no cursor option. Just sound options and full or windowed mode.
No choice of advanced or casual. So very basic, compared to some games lately.
I made the mistake of not doing the tutorial and I did struggle a little. As far as I can see there is no handholding and some fishies may struggle without a walkthrough.
I will leave the rest of the reviews to those who are good at it. Enjoy all!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 20, 11 1:32 AM
elldee2728 wrote:

Thank you, Blackie, for that list--now I remember! If this newest one plays anything like (or better than) Vanished In Rome, I think we're in for a treat! And can you believe it? Four credit-worthy/purchase-worthy games in a row!

(P.S. Hey peglegann--guess we met at the intersection, but looks like we're going in different directions on Vanished In Rome! LOL)

Love it! That is what the pond is all about! LOL! Hope you enjoy this one, then we can agree/disagree after?

PS. Is anyone having a problem with the forum pages being slow to load? Really sorry to go off topic

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Mar 20, 11 1:35 AM
Well, once again I've played the game for around 25 minutes, and I'm here to give my initial impressions. If I come up with anything more when I continue playing, I'll add it.

The game started up quickly, and I was pleased to find the welcome screen filling my laptop's wide-screen display. A quick look at the Options didn't reveal a wide-screen check-box, so it detects it automatically. There was no option for turning the custom cursor off either, which I know some people look for. Finally, there are the usual two sliders for music and sound effect volume, and a check-box to Mute All if needed.

There's no difficulty setting, so you'll get languid drifting sparkles on hidden object scenes, and twinkles on items that can be examined more closely. Unfortunately, on reaching the actual game-play, although there aren't any black sidebars, there are black curtain drapes limiting the active area to smaller size. Ther's a notebook which pops up whenever you collect any evidence, and also a list of current tasks. You don't get your hand held much when working out what to do, though so far the steps have all been logical. Some locations are larger than the visible area, and scroll when you move the cursor close enough to the edge. I don't mind this style, but I did find it a bit sluggish to scroll. It should be noted that if you turned off the tutorial, there's no hint that the scrolling mechanic exists, which might throw some people.

The Hidden Object scenes themselves are displayed in a pop-up window, and are very cleanly and clearly drawn. All the items so far have been appropriate for the location without the junk pile aspect of some recent games, and are realistically scaled - which can lead to one or two being rather small, unfortunately. Some items in the list are marked to show you need to do something first to find them – cut a string, or open something else – nothing too taxing, though not always obvious. The scenes themselves have been bright where it counts, and the locations double up as both Hidden Object searches, and active areas when a task has to be done. The hint takes about 20-30 seconds to recharge, so its quick, and puzzles also have a Skip button – not available immediately, though looking at the rate it fills, I'd say it becomes active after a minute.

* Continued*

Edited on 03/20/2011 at 1:39:25 AM PST

Elkestra
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,825 Posts

[Post New]by Elkestra on Mar 20, 11 1:36 AM
* continued*

I didn't find the music to be anything special, generally discreet enough to run in the background without really noticing it. It's certainly not bad, just bland. So far there haven't been any repetitive environmental sound-effects, but there again we're not dealing with dark spirits here.

All in all, I found the game looked and felt bright and clean, which will please people getting tired of shadows and evil. It's been an enjoyable experience playing it so far... but, that said, I didn't find it particularly grabbing me either. I'm going to play the rest of the demo time to see if I change my mind, but I have a feeling this will go on the 'rain day' pile, rather than the 'must buy'.

(Apologies if this review isn't quite as good as the previous two... the words just didn't seem to want to flow this morning )

Edited on 03/20/2011 at 3:14:44 AM PST

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Mar 20, 11 1:41 AM
peglegann wrote:
kimvy wrote:

I cheated I am afraid I looked at my purchase history, to get the info. LOL!

This game has no cursor option. Just sound options and full or windowed mode.
No choice of advanced or casual. So very basic, compared to some games lately.
I made the mistake of not doing the tutorial and I did struggle a little. As far as I can see there is no handholding and some fishies may struggle without a walkthrough.
I will leave the rest of the reviews to those who are good at it. Enjoy all!

I have the Casanova one but had not heard of the others. I'm not really sure why! I'll have to check them out. I did not do the tutorial on this one. For some reason I did not even notice that this one didn't offer casual or advance mode. I found it rather easy and I always pick casual or easy mode. I did not have any problems for some reason... I am still trying to decide if I want to wait for this one to come out on daily deal or if I want to use my last punch card coupon on it in order to get another entry into the Super Felix sweepstakes! LOL!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 20, 11 1:51 AM
Ok. yourshannygirl. So after my birthday a couple of weeks ago, I am officially getting slower with the HOG's. LOL! What I found a little frustrating was Highlight below

with the glass pieces you did not know if you had collected enough of them, until you had to put them together and touching a screw on the wiring place to close that off! Quite strange It could just be me though, as I DID consider myself to be a seasoned H0 player. I think I like this enough to buy.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Mar 20, 11 1:52 AM
Oh, I think I am dreaming...I demoed this one, and didn't buy yet, but only because I was going out of town. I played the others and I enjoyed them...decent hogs...gotta admit, BF is shocking the everliviingheck out of me...I do find it hard to believe that they are actually listening to us...but there is a part of me, that is still hopeful...we may not make you billionaires, in the short run...but we are your regulars that you can count on. You bring it, we will buy it, but we don't do trash...know what I mean? We do understand that not every game is totally excellent, but we do expect good. I think someone has seriously underestimated the fan base here. Yes, most of us like HOGS, and we will pay for decent ones. Some of us will buy other genres at times, but most of us have worked all of our lives....we don't want to serve someone burgers, or drinks, or any of those other TM things. Sure, you do have some that do, and I understand throwing them a bone. I don't mind sharing, and I do believe in fair. But I can tell you, there are few sites that cater to hoggers, and many that have all of the other games. I am loving these games from BF this week...but gotta adimit, I am afraid to get my hopes up. Could just be a temporary aberration, or maybe the "new guy" is on vacation, but I am hopeful that SOMEONE is actually taking notice.

poopysue
Shark
Shark
10,858 Posts

[Post New]by poopysue on Mar 20, 11 1:52 AM
I think the cursor went out and got tipsy last night. I could'nt get past the sluggish movements and floatiness!

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Mar 20, 11 2:00 AM
Is it just me that hates being told where to click next all the time? Why do they do it? Every single move is preceded by something twinkling. I am not an idiot, I can work it out, I'd at least like to try. Even after clicking that I don't want any tutorial help it keeps twinkling! Sorry but I can't comment on any other aspect of the game, the fact that it is completely ruined by incessant hand holding overrides all else for me. The delete button doesn't have to sparkle, I found it by myself.

[Post New]by oildriver on Mar 20, 11 2:17 AM
I can't figure out what to cut with the scissors. Tried everything.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Mar 20, 11 2:23 AM
Thought the graphics were super clear and so far in demo I have not found any dark on dark. I miss not having voices.

Will finish demo later when I am not so tired to give it a fair chance. Not sure if I will purchase. ( I do have some of the previous Insider Tales games).

Happy game day

Go to: