To buy or not to buy ?

Jaymes007
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

To buy or not to buy ?

[Post New]by Jaymes007 on Dec 14, 08 9:03 AM
I like the mini games, and I like build games, and this seems the best of those worlds, and I'm thinking of buying, but would like to know what others think of this game ?

Thank you.

c4xx
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

Re:To buy or not to buy ?

[Post New]by c4xx on Dec 14, 08 12:42 PM
I agree with Jaymes 007 - good entertaining game and quite a lot of fun!

[Post New]by akane80 on Dec 14, 08 2:21 PM
I just finished the demo, and decided not to buy it. It was fun enough for an hour, but I don't see myself continuing to play it after the novelty wears off. I've bought a lot of BFG games and am getting better at distinguishing the keepers (repeat playability) vs the ones I'm only going to play once or twice.

The game itself is ok, re: concept, design, graphics. No complaints there. Maybe its just not challenging enough for my personal taste, or just not my kind of game? I gravitate towards the turbo, frenzy, or mania games, or the chocolatier/tycoon/tradewind economics games.

I noticed during the demo that there are 15 palaces to build - something to keep in mind if you buy it. I'd prefer something with more levels, for the long run.

peutetre
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by peutetre on Dec 14, 08 5:03 PM
It's cute, it's utterly and completely mindless, it's as low pressure as you can get.

Those are either good things or bad things . . .

If you are looking for any challenge at all, you will bore with this game very shortly. What you see in the demo is all there is to it.

However, if you're looking for a relaxing, zen is game experience, then you'll enjoy zoning out to the various very easy minigames, delight at the castles that are built and laugh every time the villagers bop around to celebrate . . .

Boring or relaxing is in the mind of the gamer, I guess.

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Dec 14, 08 6:36 PM
Yes I finally worked that out I thought I had to go on and one now onto my eighth palace and agree it can get boring the concept is quite good, and the mini games okay but great for kids, not any challange once I worked out I only need to fill up util I had enough, otherwise I could have nearly completed on the trila instead of buying Oh Well

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Dec 14, 08 9:55 PM
I bought this game and sort of wish I hadn't. I like it, but it only has 15 levels - very few for games any more. I thought it would have more levels, considering the size of the download. Make sure you like games that a 9 year old can finish in no time. My granddaughter played for 3 hours this afternoon and had 9 of the 15 levels completed. Well, I guess I'll find out how many levels the sequel has before buying it. (And I'm sure they will make a sequel from the dialogue at the end of the game.)

bcbuddy
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by bcbuddy on Dec 15, 08 1:42 AM
Maybe, just maybe, the moderator who opens up the game forum the day after release could add a peice of friendly advice to the top message. I appreciate it is their job to sell the game but with games being sold every day surely a touch more sound advice goes a long way to providing a better customer service. Even one sentence such as, 'what you see in trial is what you get, game doesn't change', would help those who like a more [or less] challenging game, and it wouldn't be expressing an opinion, merely stating a fact should that be the case.

Edited on 12/15/2008 at 5:31:09 AM PST

[Post New]by mattslamom on Dec 15, 08 5:27 AM
liked the game, but was extremely disappointed that it wasn't longer. finished it in less than a day. i'm just sorry i wasted a game credit. wish it would have more levels.

[Post New]by gameprofile on Dec 15, 08 7:59 AM
I didn't even make it through the hour demo. A ho-hum game with little challenge.

Demo Diva

MichGal
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by MichGal on Dec 15, 08 4:38 PM
mattslamom wrote:liked the game, but was extremely disappointed that it wasn't longer. finished it in less than a day. i'm just sorry i wasted a game credit. wish it would have more levels.

It seems like a lot of the games are way too short! Big Fish is really getting over on us!

[Post New]by str8grl on Dec 16, 08 5:07 PM
for me...Not to buy!

This game is very simplistic and frankly, boring. If you want something to help you sleep this may be the one.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Dec 17, 08 12:46 AM
This would be only the 1st or 2nd time I bothered downloading a trial then not buying the full version. I dont know if it was a cheap knockoff of First Colony or if it was made by the same people & thats why they're so similar but since it seemed like they were trying to be just like FC but failing, i'd guess it's an imitation. Not sure.
There just wasnt enough to do. On the other hand, that 1st Colony game...my gawd I cant stop playing that! I don't even know why. I just keep playing, beating the game & restarting the entire thing. What is up with that??

[Post New]by CheerfulDragon8 on Dec 20, 08 4:32 PM
I bought this game. I'm disappointed that it doesn't get harder as you progress, but it also gives me something mindless to play when I want to kill time and don't want to have to think too hard about what I'm doing.

[Post New]by Cabbagepatcher on Dec 27, 08 5:47 PM
I didn't really get a good shot at the trial because it ran as slow as molasses on my computer. In the time they were building the first castle I managed to sort and put on a load of washing, have a smoke and clean out the cats' litterboxes. When I came back they were still building the castle. I tried to re-set to small screen which sometimes speeds things up but some games won't let you do that in the middle of a level and this, alas, was one of them.
A big disappointment especially after taking about an hour and a half to download in the first place.

Russinindy
Clownfish
Clownfish
625 Posts

[Post New]by Russinindy on Feb 28, 09 1:05 PM
Gotta say that I hesitated to purchase this, but when they gave it away foe a buck I caved. I just finished and thought it was a great time distraction. The story is a bit cheesie, but the multiple games are pretty cool. I liked it and would recommend it. The game play is easy for all.

[Post New]by snoozanwillow on Oct 17, 10 12:16 AM
What is with the packing all the crates??? Looked like an enjoyable game but when it came to packing crates of food...I spent the last 40 mins of the demo hour just packing crates..got quite good at it too...but what is the objective?? the demo ended before I could complete the crate packing...how long do you have to pack crates in order to move on in the game...really anoyed so i have deleted it and wont be buying not even for the $4.99 deal..

Go to: