bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Mystery Agency: Secrets of the Orient

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Mar 21, 11 12:05 AM
People are disappearing from the slums of an Indian city under mysterious circumstances! After spotting ghosts, a young belly dancer turns to the Mystery Agency for help. Help Saraja and Scott investigate these disappearances and find a magical talisman in Mystery Agency: Secrets of the Orient! Go on a dangerous adventure and find the ancient artifact before a sketchy gangster boss does!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Mystery Agency: Secrets of the Orient

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Mar 21, 11 12:56 AM
Hi there all,
OK, 50 minutes after this game was available and still no comments or reviews? (Or Guiness book of Records completion time less than 22 minutes and 8 seconds?)
I am Dling this game now (on a go-slow for some reason as opposed to the last 3 nights).
So I thought I would just get the ball rolling.
I trialled the first of these games and found it "blah", so am anticipating that the devs took all into account and have produced a better quality game this time.
Waiting for the DL to finish - almost there - and hope someone else will have the chance to pop in earlier than I to give you more of an indication of its "worthiness" and value.
Cheers.

Edited on 03/21/2011 at 1:03:12 AM PST

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Mar 21, 11 1:17 AM
I did about 45 minutes of the demo. I had no technical problems. Is widescreen. The intro instructions are very good and self explanatory. You can play in Casual or hard mode. It does time you. But if you dont care about time it doesnt matter. I didnt get any click penalties but as you will see you wont be clicking too much. There are actors but you read the speech yourself from the screen. The story seemed to be nice for as far as i got. There are FROGs and IHOGS. I didnt see a place for inventory, or have any inventory at the point where I stopped. The puzzles are time consuming the couple I did. I quit when I got to STD. I will look fior reviews from other people who get further along in the game. I wanted to see the scenery at least but I couldnt take anymore for now.

twentz
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by twentz on Mar 21, 11 1:24 AM
I played for 10 minutes. That's all it took for me to know that it is not for me. Too plain. Mainly Hidden Objects.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Mar 21, 11 1:24 AM
Hi there,
I must admit that I have not completed all of the trial, but am sitting on the fence regarding this one as with yesterday's offering. Seems somewhat dated in style and I have yet to be sufficiently engaged to want to continue on with the game.
Maybe those of you who have played for longer than I can add more to entice "us" into either playing further or purchasing.
PS I dislike timed games, but this didn't seem to be a problem as the timer seemed to increase as you either found an item or added a correct piece to a puzzle.
Cheers.

ledheadmelli
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ledheadmelli on Mar 21, 11 1:25 AM
I played forty minutes and stopped - just not my cup of tea anymore. Dialog balloons with puppet characters sliding in and out (a la Mysteryville), dull and snotty banter between female and boss, ordinary puzzles (FTD, jigsaw, match 3).

I used to really enjoy this type of game, but my tastes have changed along with game developers and after IHOGs, FROGS, and adventure games such as the Dark Parables, Ravenhurst, Puppetville, et al, a game such as this one does nothing to hold my interest.

Not saying the game sucked, because it was okay as far as graphics, and objects were not a strain on the eye. While I wouldn't recommend it to hardcore IHOG gamers, this game might be a decent intro to hidden object games. I've just gotten to the point where I'm sick of looking for snails, spiders and butterflies that do nothing to enhance the story or help me solve a puzzle.

Not trying to be snotty here, just saying that in the world of hidden object games, this one rates "bunny slopes" as opposed to a "K5" such as Dark Parables.

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Mar 21, 11 1:31 AM
So here comes another Mystery Agency game...Seems like just yesterday when we were disappointed with the last one...

Back to the point, I have 32 minutes left on my demo and feel comfortable saying...Another disappointing HOG from Mystery Agency.

SPOILERS:

-- The story line and characters talk a lot about nothing so I just click-click'd through most of the babble.
-- Old-Fashioned HOG - no thoughtful interactive logic
-- For me, there were definitely sluggish areas
-- Typical mini puzzles (which have repetitive backgrounds)
-- Low Quality Graphics (flies that 'fly' that are really a group of 10 random moving dots)

Now for the positives, as few as they are:

-- It is not dark.
-- There are many options in the Main Menu (audio, easy/hard mode,etc)
-- The Hard Mode is HARD. It's time limits are definitely challenging and if you don't make it, you are sent back to the Main Menu...eep!

I agree with Melli (above). There could be some people who would enjoy this but by in large with such intriguing IHOGS/FROGS, this type of game seem like it would be unpopular with most Fishes. This is definitely not a purchase for me.

Edited on 03/21/2011 at 1:37:14 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Mar 21, 11 1:35 AM
I played for 35 minutes and I don't no what to think. Maybe it's not a buy for me.

nandog
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by nandog on Mar 21, 11 1:47 AM
It is late or early up here in Canada 4:38 am. I played 29 min. of demo.
1 small screan
2 very hard to rotate pictures to solve puzzel
3 music o.k.
4 picture clear.

my best description Slum Dog Millionaire (GREAT MOVIE) meets hog I would rather watch the movie.
But for those who like it happy game play.
Thanks at least we can demo and choose for our self.
P.S. Happy first Day Of Spring
Nandog

tinyzac
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by tinyzac on Mar 21, 11 3:59 AM
what a awful game its a no go for me terrible graphics awful music and those characters i thought we were back in the 70s because of the aforementioned problems sorry big fish this gets 5 thumbs down

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Mar 21, 11 7:33 AM
ledheadmelli wrote:I played forty minutes and stopped - just not my cup of tea anymore. Dialog balloons with puppet characters sliding in and out (a la Mysteryville), dull and snotty banter between female and boss, ordinary puzzles (FTD, jigsaw, match 3).

I used to really enjoy this type of game, but my tastes have changed along with game developers and after IHOGs, FROGS, and adventure games such as the Dark Parables, Ravenhurst, Puppetville, et al, a game such as this one does nothing to hold my interest.

Not saying the game sucked, because it was okay as far as graphics, and objects were not a strain on the eye. While I wouldn't recommend it to hardcore IHOG gamers, this game might be a decent intro to hidden object games. I've just gotten to the point where I'm sick of looking for snails, spiders and butterflies that do nothing to enhance the story or help me solve a puzzle.

Not trying to be snotty here, just saying that in the world of hidden object games, this one rates "bunny slopes" as opposed to a "K5" such as Dark Parables.

@ leadheadmelli

Agree 100%, but this one is slightly different in that your looking for amongst the usual cr*p, an Armadillo and a Sausage!! I also hate looking for 5 X whatevers (sloppy)

I've posted my review, thoughts and feeling's in the 'other' stickied thread.

Kel

[Post New]by jenniferjenice on Mar 25, 11 3:47 PM
I'm slow to respond here as I just got out of the hospital, and after playing 30 minutes of the trial, I'm ready to be readmitted back into the hospital. Can someone please tell me what is the garbage?! This game truly SUCKS and I would not recommend for anyone to purchase this game even if you're new to HOGS or Frogs it’s definitely not worth wasting a game credit on. The puppet-like characters are very annoying especially the condescending dialog and attitude of Scott towards Saraja (by the way, does anyone know what nationality is she’s suppose to be?) I thought that since we are now in the 21st century, we would have progressed and stop with the stereotyping, but I guess this company never got that memo. I want to believe that they just didn’t have their thinking caps on while creating this game. I would hate to think that they are so insensitive to this type of interaction between a white male and an ethnic female and believing it would be considered humorous by the overall HOGS market and we would just overlook this type of dialogue. I for one can assure DPT Entertainment and Cranberry Productions that I cannot nor will I overlook this type of interaction between the characters.

This is definitely a no buy for me and I give it 2

Edited on 03/25/2011 at 3:50:08 PM PST

Go to: