Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Agency: Secrets of the Orient

[Post New]by adventure777 on Mar 21, 11 2:03 AM
I am an IHOG/FROG fan and this game seems too plain for me. This is more like the old-fashioned straight HOGs with a glimpse of interactive elements such as puzzles we have all already seen (put the pieces of the map together, etc). The graphics are good enough for me, although some objects are rather small. There are no voiceovers and the dialogues are a bit lame, so you have to click through to get to the next task. The only thing that really made an impression to me, was the music - nice, calm Oriental tunes, like you are in a spa .

To sum it up, it's not a bad game, but I doubt it will appeal to a lot of fishes, considering the good games we have had so far. Maybe an year ago it would have been more impressive. But since you don't need to pay to demo it, give it a try

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 21, 11 2:07 AM
Thank you CasualGran
I chose the hard mode as usual but I definitely do not like the timer!
This appears to be mainly H0 scenes with jigsaw puzzles, STD and M3.
Not interesting enough for me.

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Mar 21, 11 2:11 AM
Hi fishies,

This thread has now been stickied for your convenience.

We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

poggyapoo
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by poggyapoo on Mar 21, 11 2:14 AM
well I thought I'd be clever and play in "hard mode" as I do enjoy a challenge!
However you are on a timer of just over 3 minutes and some of the objects are hard to find when you're in a hurry to beat the clock, and panicking because you are down to 10 seconds and still got about 5 objects to find!! LOL. I did the first two hidden object scenes. I then had a map to put together which took flippin ages, the clock was going UP this time from zero but not on a timer as such.

I think, unless you buy it, this game should be played in "easy mode" in the demo version, as if you don't find all the objects in the given time.............you have to start again! I did get rather bored with it anyway, as it does seem a rather "been there, done that" sort of game! Anyway that's my opinion

ElderJen
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by ElderJen on Mar 21, 11 2:22 AM
Thanks CasualGran... no way am I even going to look at a game that smells of prejudice or discrimination. Thanks for pointing that out to us.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Mar 21, 11 2:28 AM
I play the demo again, but it's not a buy for me. I found it boring.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Mar 21, 11 2:40 AM
C'mon casualgran. . . if you don't like the male characters misogynistic attitude why don't you just say so! . . . I agree, it shows very poor taste and is probably indicative of the rest of the game. I still need one punch and now. . . I still need one punch. Good job peglegann and casualgran!
Dr.good

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 21, 11 2:46 AM
Well those like me with a widescreen laptop, here's one that displays beautifully, 1600 x 900 res. Crisp clear graphics, colorful mostly except a lot of grey or beige objects mixed between. I only discovered the widescreen when I first had downloaded it on my pc withXP and reg flat screen monitor, 1024x768 and had black borders top and bottom. Couldn't even find Menu to exit so had to use task mgr.

Seldom find a game that looks right on widescreen laptop W7 64 bit, so played hour. I did not notice on Settings (options) the bar at the top of that window says 1,2,3, so maybe screen res is on 2 or 3. I think all I saw on 1 was sound.

First HOG on second d/l was a different list of objects, if that rings anyone's bell for possible replay value. I said "possible" for others, one hour was enough for me. I chose untimed, casual whatever. Objects weren't too hard to find but after that how to play is anybody's guess. One HOG was finding some metal jugs and a lantern by grey silhouetts on bottom. I found them but then what? they didn't drop away. So I clicked around and hit some pieces that looked like they may be part of same objects and noticed the grey objects found started coloring in gold. Except the lantern that took a hint, it was not gold. Soooooo after finding objects you find fragments of them, would be nice if some instructions how to play that one.

Then I couldn't get the first few jigsaws to rotate trying any possible clicks and left, right, but did get a few pieces together that seemed to be upright anyway. Then one of the pieces DID rotate, so maybe only those that are turned can be rotated. Then on the jeweled disks puzzle none would rotate for me either, could drag and drop them around but not turn. Again, maybe I just don't understand how to do things. Hit Hint and it skipped and on to next HOG with same banal dialogue and thin storyline looking for clues to a ghost suspected of killing poor people in slums, and a belly dancer is frightened.

That's about all I can say after wasting over an hour on pc and laptop trying to decide if I like this game. I've bought a few games before just because they filled my wide laptop, but looks aren't everything, probably wouldn't struggle with this on a DD. It is relaxing though as far as music, other than a barking dog. I took my time and nearly fell asleep.
I pass.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 21, 11 3:01 AM
btw if you art looking for Menu to escape faster than task mgr, it is a secret tiny icon down on left bottom. Looks like a mini mini calculator or small note with dots. I clicked on it just to see what it does and wow, solved that Menu mystery. Also, bottom extreme left is a semi-circle with 2 faces of the main characters. I had the feeling the whole circle was off the screen. Maybe those are the only 2 so they color or fade depending on who you are playing. Possibly if the bellydancer has a role it will become a full circle with more faces? Who knows, just very disturbing graphics with nothing familiar to the main streem icons or words and gives the impression something else is missing. Besides a game I mean.

I'll go now and look for a real game.

ps already hate FTD (find, not a disease S LOL) but this one wasn't bad with the big objects, except on widescreen my eyes got even more dizzy looking back and forth on such a wide area. Need to hold a pencil close now and try to focus eyeballs back to forward

nandog
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by nandog on Mar 21, 11 3:11 AM
It is late or early up here in Canada,I played 29 min.of demo.
1 Small screan
2 very hard to rotate pictures to solve puzzel
3 music ok
4picture clear
My best discripton Slum Dog Millionaire (great Movie) meets Hog,I would rather watch the movie!
For those who like it happy game play .At least we can demo and choose for our self.Happy first day of SPRING.
Nandog

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Mar 21, 11 3:17 AM
Well ... I suppose I wouldn't classify this as a bad game ... just as one I wouldn't consider buying. The graphics and music were OK. I didn't like that you couldn't click quickly on items ... I had to wait until it had finished picking up one item before I could click on the next ... that always irritates me. I love FROGs but only when they break the objects into sensible bits ... I don't like a lantern being cut diagonally in half ... just doesn't make sense. And it took a while before I realised that H0 scene was a FROG. The mini games worked OK for me but I skipped at least one as couldn't solve it ... and I hate STD/FTDs with a passion. I have enough migraines without inviting one.

And I'm totally with CasualGran ... I wanted to slap that tw4t of a boss into next week. I'm not sure that that wasn't part of the "story" was really wasn't interested enough to find out. Any game that has me contemplating violence before my first coffee is a game I ain't playing

Edited on 03/21/2011 at 3:17:44 AM PST

gmmace
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by gmmace on Mar 21, 11 3:17 AM
Pass on this one. Gameplay is pretty boring and the dialogue between the character is tiresome. There have been some really great games recently so this one really suffers in comparison.

ledheadmelli
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ledheadmelli on Mar 21, 11 3:43 AM
Yes, thanks for mentioning the misogynistic boss, Gran! That attitude always ticks me off.

Hey developers - get with 2011, would ya? The females buying your games are not the Hollywood versions who sprain their ankles and stay down while the killer is chasing them, nor do we suffer fools like these male characters you keep throwing at us. In fact, we have big, mean lawyers and union reps to make sure bosses like that get bounced back to the 50's where they belong.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T, that's how you'll earn my loyalty....

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Mar 21, 11 3:49 AM
Oh, I don't think so. The guy goes to a slum and can't even give a hungry person a few coins for food? And, these women are supposed to be in India? And the belly dancer only has one set of clothing, so she has to go to a business office in her dancing garb? On top of the dumb story line, when I got to the first FROG (I hate FROGs) scene, the graphics were so pale, I couldn't tell which pieces I had found and which I had not which is when I gave up entirely, 13 minutes into the game. Not for me, not now, not as a DD, never.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Mar 21, 11 3:51 AM
Lol CasualGran, they're not real you know. I mean would you refuse to play Call Of Duty just because it had Germans in it who during WW2 were not politically correct? Only messing here but does it matter? I personally never take any notice of the story, characters anyway so if they are a little, say, old fashioned so what?

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Mar 21, 11 4:26 AM
I played the demo, I thought the game was ok, I would use a credit on this one, so far I enjoyed this game I know it is very different then most of BFG games..Loved the music and graphics..

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 21, 11 4:35 AM
I just can't believe we've had five - count 'em! - five HOGs in a row! I'm downloading now (I actually fell asleep at a reasonable time last night) and I'll give it a try (trying is free, and I'm always in favor of Free.) The reviews so far don't sound promising, but I like to make up my own mind (we don't all like the same things.)

(I'm editing this here but I have a longer review later)

Don't let the negative reviews sour you on today's TGT, "Mystery Agency, Secrets of the Orient." Try it yourself and see. The main objection seems to be that it's not PC, but after playing a while you realize that one character is not PC, the rest show him up to be an idiot. Those that play only the first few minutes really miss the point of the game.

Yes, the boss is an a$$, making snarky comments to his employee and behind the backs of his clients, who he treats with respect to their faces. No, I would NOT categorize it as promoting racial sterotypes, unless you are counting the fact that the white guy is a racist. It's pretty clear from the storyline that the white guy is the idiot and his employee is the one with all the brains. Typical games that perpetuate racial sterotypes have it the other way around, so I'd say this one promotes awareness of how racial sterotyping is soooo wrong.

It's a straight HOG, so don't expect anything else. It does have a story, though. The boss "rescued" the employee from the slums a year ago, and hired her because she was so smart (see??). A client comes in and tells them that there is a ghost in the slums, making people disappear. They go to the slums (the nicest looking slums I've ever seen) to solve the mystery.

There are straight H0 scenes, FROG scenes (see my UPDATE review on page 2 of this thread), and puzzles. The puzzles I saw in the demo included an interesting Match 3 with a nice twist, an STD (I hate those, but this wasn't too bad), a jigsaw, and one of those where you arrange disks with marbles around the edges so the edges match (but I didn't quite understand that one).

See my detailed review of the gameplay on page 2 for more info. I MISS GOOFYDUCK!!! THIS IS HER JOB!!!!!

Edited on 03/21/2011 at 7:21:47 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Mar 21, 11 4:47 AM
I appreciate the reviews Fishy's. I'm downloading, who would have thunk it to have so many hidden object games in a row. We went through quite a dry spell there for a while, I was wondering if I was going to make my usual three punch cards for the month. I'll have to wait and see on this one because I don't think any of us like STD's, when will developers learn that! Probably never!

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Mar 21, 11 5:18 AM
The only good thing I found about this game is the graphics are clear. Other than that it is boring, the puzzle parts don't rotate, too much in and out dialogue. Not for me.

Faylyn

9gamer5
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by 9gamer5 on Mar 21, 11 5:20 AM
Played this game and uninstalled it after 5 minutes. Too much dialogue to click out of. Too simple. Won't buy this one. Still waiting for SE's on the better games.

Go to: