Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Nov 18, 09 4:31 AM

Alright, I'm not going back and re-reading all the posts; I have tried to keep up but it hasnt' been vital for me regarding the tons of speculation.

Let me understand..the "special" edition or whatever will be available earlier and cost $19.99?

You can't use game credits?

Will it be available for $6.99 at all?

 
bedheadkg
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by bedheadkg on Nov 18, 09 4:32 AM
Fiobo wrote:.

I could swallow all of this grudgingly, but for the fact they wait until the week before launch to announce it.





They haven't really though have they? The game was due out early December. The game will still be released early December, and cost $6.99. This is a bonus, if you want it early, and with the extras, you can pay more, if you don't then you can still have the game in early December and pay the normal price for it.

I can't wait! I play a lot of games on my Wii and DS so even $19.99 is a bargin for a game I've been looking forward to as much as this. The new Zelda game for the DS is going ot cost me £29.99, nearly twices as much!

 
Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by Laflamme on Nov 18, 09 4:37 AM
Having read that Electronic Arts made $1 million with DLC (downloadable content) for Dragon Age: Origins leaves me uneasy about this game.

Yes, I will most surely get it. But is the bonus stuff worth the price premium - and seen from the other side: are regular customers getting pulled over the table?

Let me explain and connect it to the first paragraph. Dragon Age had bonus content available on the first day of sale for additional price, which was already in the game, but was cut out in order to make extra money.

For Dire Grove you get bonus content, an achievement system and "unique minigames" (whatever that is - a spinning word wheel does not seem unique to me) which is in the game. But it looks like that for regular customers those parts are getting cut out. So yes, they are paying less, but have to wait longer for less game content. I leave it up to you to judge if that is fair treatment.

Also, as I've already stated in another locked thread - you have to decide if those three mentioned features are worth the premium. Because art and videos are most likely watched once, and I surely won't change my wallpaper. A Strategy Guide? Well, thanks, tabbing out to read a guaranteed free guide beats having to buy one for 7 bucks, so that's totally worthless to me.

Bottom line: I have a feeling that this game is a test balloon to open a floodgate that we all might not want to have.

 
sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Nov 18, 09 4:54 AM
Laflamme wrote:
For Dire Grove you get bonus content, an achievement system and "unique minigames" (whatever that is - a spinning word wheel does not seem unique to me) which is in the game. But it looks like that for regular customers those parts are getting cut out. So yes, they are paying less, but have to wait longer for less game content. I leave it up to you to judge if that is fair treatment.

Bottom line: I have a feeling that this game is a test balloon to open a floodgate that we all might not want to have.


I don't see it that way. The people who wait and get the $6.99 version are getting exactly the game that BF promised them....no more, no less. The people who buy the "collector's edition" are getting something extra for paying more money. NOw the question becomes are those "extras" worth the extra money; for some people it is and for some it isn't.

I compare it to collector's/special edition DVD's...I can pay more and buy the collector's edition and get bonus footage, maybe some funny outakes, interview with the directors and actors. Or I can just buy the "plain Jane" version and get the movie and nothing else. It's all about choice, same as MCF Dire Grove is all about choice.

 
Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by Laflamme on Nov 18, 09 5:02 AM
sillyfeet wrote:
Laflamme wrote:
For Dire Grove you get bonus content, an achievement system and "unique minigames" (whatever that is - a spinning word wheel does not seem unique to me) which is in the game. But it looks like that for regular customers those parts are getting cut out. So yes, they are paying less, but have to wait longer for less game content. I leave it up to you to judge if that is fair treatment.

Bottom line: I have a feeling that this game is a test balloon to open a floodgate that we all might not want to have.


I don't see it that way. The people who wait and get the $6.99 version are getting exactly the game that BF promised them....no more, no less. The people who buy the "collector's edition" are getting something extra for paying more money. NOw the question becomes are those "extras" worth the extra money; for some people it is and for some it isn't.

I compare it to collector's/special edition DVD's...I can pay more and buy the collector's edition and get bonus footage, maybe some funny outakes, interview with the directors and actors. Or I can just buy the "plain Jane" version and get the movie and nothing else. It's all about choice, same as MCF Dire Grove is all about choice.


Okay, let's compare it to your DVD anology what I want to say. And I mean primarily the bonus game content we're talking about (bonus levels, achievements, minigames).

Yes, the wallpapers, videos etc. can be compared to the bonus disc on CE versions of DVDs. But cutting out the bonus levels would be as if you are buying the "plain Jane" version of the movie - minus ten minutes of movie run time.

 

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Nov 18, 09 5:07 AM
Alright, just read the details on FB blog, so got the info. I was confused before.

I'll prob wait until the $6.99 version comes out; all the so-called extras don't appeal enough to me to pay the $19.99.

Nice to have something to look forward to though!

 
cathy1200
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by cathy1200 on Nov 18, 09 5:12 AM
I agree with Sillyfeet.

Also, no one criticizes the other game sites for offering their games for more before releasing to BF. If you want the game sooner, you purchase from them or wait for the cheaper price at BF. With the game prices coming down, to make the investment to produce something spectacular and not run-of-the-mill might need some more creative marketing and an initial higher price. BF didn't even do that. The 6.99 price will be there and game credits can be used, just a couple weeks later.

As for the argument about the haves and have-nots, it is the people who can pay the higher price for goods they want that enable R&D costs to be recaptured and manufacturing processes to be streamlined that enable prices to eventually become affordable for everyone. It wasn't that long ago that a VCR cost $2500 and the blank tapes were $50 each. I worked in a store then and never dreamed I could afford one of those someday.

 
Sinsaint
Clownfish
Clownfish
635 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by Sinsaint on Nov 18, 09 5:15 AM
emmyjayne wrote:Regarding the screenshot of the hooded person with a walkie talkie in their hand in the frozen bathroom... the words in the journal seem to say:

"...you (missing words) discovered in the lake, the girl in the bathroom is, (missing word), still alive within some kind of possessed or altered state."


I'm about six pages back so forgive me if this has been figured out already:

"young man discovered on the lake, the girl in the bathroom is, frozen yet still alive within some kind of possessed or altered state...."

Notice we aren't seeing the entire journal page. Could be the start of the sentence is "Unlike (or like) the young man...."

 
Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 18, 09 5:25 AM
bedheadkg wrote: The new Zelda game for the DS is going ot cost me £29.99, nearly twices as much!


You tell them! That's about $50.38 at today's rate!
We so get ripped off on games (not d/l) over here.

 
Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 18, 09 5:28 AM
Laflamme wrote: But cutting out the bonus levels would be as if you are buying the "plain Jane" version of the movie - minus ten minutes of movie run time.


Not at all. We are getting the "Director's Cut" of the movie, and you do pay more for those.

 
sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Nov 18, 09 5:28 AM
Laflamme wrote:
Okay, let's compare it to your DVD anology what I want to say. And I mean primarily the bonus game content we're talking about (bonus levels, achievements, minigames).

Yes, the wallpapers, videos etc. can be compared to the bonus disc on CE versions of DVDs. But cutting out the bonus levels would be as if you are buying the "plain Jane" version of the movie -minus ten minutes of movie run time.


Not true. I own a few "special" editions of movies in which I got extra actual footage...scenes that may have been left on the cutting room floor for whatever reason when the movie was released, but were added back in for the "special edition". People who watched/bought the original version didn't LOSE anything...they still got the movie. And I got a little extra.

 
tat2s
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
441 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by tat2s on Nov 18, 09 5:30 AM
it's Wednesday!! One more week! Wooo-hooo!

Edited on 11/18/2009 at 5:30:22 AM PST


 
Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 18, 09 5:35 AM
tat2s wrote: it's Wednesday!! One more week! Wooo-hooo!


WAHHHHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

 
ImLeza
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by ImLeza on Nov 18, 09 5:43 AM
Aside from being able to use your collected game club credits, I don't see what the big hoopla is all about. Playstation and X box offer this kind of thing all the time, as do car makers, and movie studios and toy manufacturers..etc. My son just paid over $100.00 for a video game that he could have bought for 59.00. However, the version he purchased had a collectors book and some coolio night vision goggles with it. The game was exactly the same, but the extra content was what he spent the additional cash for. Not everyone wanted it, so the option to buy the basic version was still there.

If you don't care about wallpapers, concept art, or mini-games, then this version probably isn't your best deal. You can still get the game for 6.99 and it will be exactly the same game as the 19.99 version. I happen to enjoy the extras, so I was happy to have the option.

Edit:Wow, while I was typing this, y'all said exactly the same thing. I guess great minds do think alike..lol

Edited on 11/18/2009 at 5:48:00 AM PST


 
bedheadkg
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by bedheadkg on Nov 18, 09 5:44 AM
Purplerabbit wrote:
bedheadkg wrote: The new Zelda game for the DS is going ot cost me £29.99, nearly twices as much!


You tell them! That's about $50.38 at today's rate!
We so get ripped off on games (not d/l) over here.



more than twice as much then!! $19.99 is looking more and more like a bargin by the second

 
dogmama
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,998 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by dogmama on Nov 18, 09 5:45 AM
Here's the way I see it. BFG is releasing a Collector's Edition which is perhaps similar to a pre-release. The game will be released a week or two later at the normal price of $6.99. Those of us in the game club have the OPTION of buying the Collector's Edition IF WE SO CHOSE. We will pay more for the early release and the other additions including a strategy guide. If I want to pay more or not and receive the extras, that's my choice. Do note this edition is only available to game club members so the general public will not even be able to chose this option.

I don't know if I will need a strategy guide, but I wouldn't be surprised if a walkthrough is not available until the regular release date. In that case, a strategy guide just might be a handy thing to have.

This game is not short and I imagine it will take most of us in excess of eight hours to complete.

We all know that BFG goes over backwards for their customers, so I think we need to give them a little slack here.

 
Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 18, 09 5:46 AM
bedheadkg wrote:
Purplerabbit wrote:
bedheadkg wrote: The new Zelda game for the DS is going ot cost me £29.99, nearly twices as much!


You tell them! That's about $50.38 at today's rate!
We so get ripped off on games (not d/l) over here.



more than twice as much then!! $19.99 is looking more and more like a bargin by the second


Just under £12 (plus taxes and exchange charge).

 
bedheadkg
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by bedheadkg on Nov 18, 09 5:55 AM
*does a little dance while wondering why she is so bad at working out exchange rates*

 
Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Nov 18, 09 6:01 AM
It's about $1.68 to the £1 at the moment, but it may even go higher, which means we spend less money!

 
jbentley
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove info and speculation!

[Post New]by jbentley on Nov 18, 09 6:29 AM
ONE MORE WEEK......YEAH BABY !!!! I can't wait

I wish people would chill out about the 2 prices here. You have 2 choices,
buy next Wednesday and get it all for $19.99, or wait till December and play for
$6.99. I want it all!! I will be one of the ones downloading as soon as it comes available!!

Personally, I would have LOVED to get bigger versions of MCF Games!! I mean think about it.....don't you think there was more to discover on the other games??

Picman you have outdone yourself. Thank you for giving us a choice.

 
 
 
 
Go to: