dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Revenge

[Post New]by dootney on Mar 23, 11 1:10 AM
Good morning Gran. I wanted so much to like this game. I played it for 30 minutes and am so disapointed. Play is awkward and its hard trying to figure out what the game wants, If the whole game go like this no thanks. For those who like it Have a good day.

Vickiec
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by Vickiec on Mar 23, 11 1:23 AM
Good morning all you early birds. Well I to did not like this very slow game ,some things in the **** part are very small, color is nice but it is a kinda of a fairy tale that you might read in a book, almost childish maybe thats what I am trying to say.Looked great but not a buy for me.

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Mar 23, 11 1:25 AM
Moving this here...I didn't fall asleep after all

SPOILER ALERT

This is a HOG...There may be more variation later but definitely not an IHOG.

I am going to start with the positive, I guess. The Hidden Object areas are time-frame specific - No cell phones or plastic jugs that conflict with the story time. The search objects constantly change. This is a nice change that shows some creativity from the devs.

Negatives - 2 dimensional graphics. The music is horrible! The track is only a few minutes long and there's an obvious loop. This doesn't seem like a big deal but it will drive you crazy. The instructions to certain tasks are unclear and the hints are vague. The Hidden Objects have strange descriptions...(ie. Lady Bug - Black Bug with Green Stripes?)

Dark Game...Dark Review...So Sorry All...See you tomorrow

Oh...This is a 'no buy' for me...

DeeBeth
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by DeeBeth on Mar 23, 11 1:39 AM
This is definitely different then your average game. The story is very fairy tale-ish. Graphics are gorgeous. Picture filled up my widescreen monitor. There's some instructions on what to do but some of it I had to puzzle out myself. The main menu bar also has an instruction sheet. I recommend glancing at it before playing the game.

This is a (lite)? ihog with lots of hidden object scenes and a little bit of frogs thrown in. I haven't run into any puzzles yet. The hidden object items are appropriate to the setting and different then we usually find. Some items are small but not impossible.

I'm enjoying this. It's different and took a little getting used to but I think it's well done. I recommend trying it and seeing for youself. And don't give up in the first 5 minutes. Give it some time.

gmmace
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by gmmace on Mar 23, 11 1:39 AM
*Spoilers*
I have to agree with other reviewers. I liked the initial look of the game, but the gameplay is awkward. Had no idea what a couple of the hidden items were, and also found the gameplay awkward. In the first hidden object with the sword pieces, I had found all the game would allow me to find, but I could still see pieces in the scene. Left the scene and went back, and the pieces were gone. Then I figured out I had to go around to other scenes to find the rest of the pieces. It would also be nice if there was a description of the items in inventory when you selected them. I had an iron ball piece, but couldn't tell exactly what it was. Not a purchase for me.

tishythree
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by tishythree on Mar 23, 11 1:41 AM
definately no go for me i dont mind a challenge but if i know what i am looking for it does help what the heck are cheppals, already had problems with a green striped ladybug and a gout stool sorry just didnt like this one trish

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Mar 23, 11 1:43 AM
Absolutely "NO SALE" for me. When will developers grasp the fact that we understand that no one is fluent in all languages; but with today's technology, you should be able to locate someone who is capable of checking not only the literal translation of each word, but the grammar, as well. The storyline is so-so, and the gameplay is a bit stiff and awkward, but the English grammar (or, lack thereof) is an assault on the senses. Some of the terms used are comical; "goutstool", is an example. If that term is going to be used, it should be two separate words; gout stool, but simply, "stool" would have sufficed. Probably not too many of us are familar with a piece of furniture that is a bit like an ottoman, but designed for someone who is suffering from gout in their foot (feet) to rest their feet on. You will find frequent mention of these in Charles Dickens' writings, but not too often since. Developers - check your language translations, please!

Edited on 03/23/2011 at 1:44:26 AM PST

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Mar 23, 11 2:00 AM
Hi fishies,

This thread has now been stickied for your convenience.

We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Mar 23, 11 2:07 AM
This is a very strange game ... in many ways. The English looks as if it has been fed through an online translation tool ... sideways It never seems to be clear where you should be going or what you should be clicking on. Sometimes clicks don't seem to be recognised at all. On the other hand ... I quite like the idea of collecting moving or changing objects. The objects to find are not the standard ones but do seem, so far, to belong to the time of the story ... by the way "gorget" is actually the correct term for the item they want ... it is a piece of armour for the neck area ... but is not exactly a word in daily use But other object names just seemed to be totally wrong ... maybe they were using that strange translator tool again.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Mar 23, 11 2:07 AM
I played the demo for 1 hour. It's a different game, but a bit to dark. I like it. It's not a really HOG. There are things to do like smash the statues. That was fun.
I don't no if I buy it.

Only one thing to say: Give this game a change!

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Mar 23, 11 2:23 AM
Well, I lasted a whole 3 minutes - barely! Sure the graphics do look great, and I probably could have overlooked the poor translations, but it was very jerky, and no music at all Also, there was no real explanation for the beginning of the game, as in explaining just why Zoraida was bricked up in the first place, how she managed to survive for 100 years, nor how she got out again! Sorry, but this definitely is a 'no buy' for me.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 23, 11 2:30 AM
This is an IHOG with a reasonable story ... a witch was walled up alive for being a witch and she vowed to get her revenge in 100 years and that time has now come so she strikes down your husband and steals your baby and it is your job to rescue the little prince.

The only options available are Music, Mute, Full, Custom Cursor. The music got muted . If you fast click anywhere the cursor does a little shake and falls to the bottom of your screen and is not as annoying as one looping the loop.

The graphics are ok, not brilliant but on the whole you can make out what the objects are although a few of the items are quite small but there is a 30 second rechargeable hint available which takes the strain out of your eyes so I just found what I could see and used the hint for the odd item like the coconut and letter holder.

Clicking on the sparkles that show the hidden object scenes does not always take you into the scene, you have to click the right spot.

A Gorget is a piece of armour for the throat ( no idea what the met bit means) but I found it by thinking what shape would throat armour be.

As I am in a hurry I haven't come to the goutstool yet but I would hazard a guess that it is a type footstool for people who have gout.

If you click on the Object Bar on the left it will change to read Inventory and vice versa, I thought I had lost my potion items too but they reappeared when I got the honey which was my last item to find.

On the fence about purchasing at this point and will see what the situation is with my punchcards first.

Cherb

ETA ... bought it .

Edited on 03/25/2011 at 9:21:48 AM PST

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by yasure on Mar 23, 11 2:38 AM
This is terrible!! I have to agree with most everyone else.
This is a NO SALE for me. To bad for Big Fish, but I saved some money today.
Guess I'll go finish one of my other games. Time to uninstall this one, I lasted 10 minutes.

[Post New]by robertflorish on Mar 23, 11 2:42 AM
Its really a fun hidden object game that I liked a lot . With beautiful story line and engaging object finding gameplay, all wrapped up in a lengthy and entertaining game.The overall experience that this game provides is great. Its really fun and challenging game that HOG fans shouldn't miss out on.

teapotty2
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by teapotty2 on Mar 23, 11 2:42 AM
after playing the trial for a few minutes 10-15 I thought I would check the forum to see what other gamers think.

I like the look of the game and being a mild IHOG is appealing. However I am finding the play of the game awkward and sticky. To navigate in directions is slow and it is like my computer is churning away. I have had a blank screens as it "thinks" and loads the Hidden Object scene for example.

It is not the computer...it is the game. Not up to the high standard that I am used to and expect.

Edited on 03/23/2011 at 2:44:19 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 23, 11 2:58 AM
CasualGran wrote:

What on earth are 'cheppals'??? And what's a 'goutstool'

Oh boy!! I cannot wait to finish work to try this one out! ROFL
Maybe the first one Gran should be "cheap pals" and the second one, a stool for someone with gout?
Thank you, you made me laugh this morning

Edited to quote as CasualGran had written it. Not as I had done in bold and large.

Edited on 03/23/2011 at 11:57:57 AM PST

minipal
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by minipal on Mar 23, 11 3:02 AM
I actually liked this game. I agree that there were some grammar issues but the graphics were beautiful and very colorful. It may be a dark story but it's like a fairytale (Sleeping Beauty was pretty dark also) It's mostly a HOG with a few interactives thrown in. I didn't come across any mini games either but I hope there are some as I get further in the game. I liked the way the cursor acted when you click too much, better than going squirmy like in most other games. I played almost an hour and the game wasn't sluggish for me. I did purchase this game, I love fairytales.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 23, 11 3:13 AM
Posted already on other early thread so will move to here for comments.

I had sound altho I had toned it way down, then discovered there was voice over narration during the intro, missed part of that. Then it was more enjoyable when I muted it and listened to Jon Stewart and Colbert instead while looking for whatever for my potions. At least it looked good

Different yes, slow to get into, confusing for me what to do and where, there are sparkles but they don't respond to the pointer in the same spot. A few times I clicked Hint and it said You cannot use a hint here. Huh?

Some items on the list are found in other locations, and they can change color so wait til the color gets back around to what it is you are looking for. I didn't have a cup for honey but it turned up in a hog later.

The graphics did surprise me, very pretty, clear, colorful except a lot of bronze or brown or gold or rusty looking ones in your face. But listed items near impossible to recognize, small in dark areas, or foreign to me.

Maybe I'll try it on widescreen laptop as someone mentioned it fit wide (?). Maybe I should have done the tutorial I almost always do but here I didn't take the time so just was confused what to do. Very low key, so low I nearly dozed off waiting for the red jellyfish to appear to catch them all. Then didn't think I'd be fast enough to spot and catch the honey drops but did in the end. Most the things I found or locations were just dumb luck or random guesses.

Gout stool I knew having been in the antiques biz, as one word it threw me awhile. We ask for era items but then don't know what the heck the others are, cheppals, gorget met etc. As a fairytale not sure what era it was supposed to be but does have its charm even if you need hints on half the hidden objects.

May take a second look on laptop tomorrow, always looking for a relaxing game, but wrestling with the language felt like a chore. I can't say it is a bad game, but maybe one you have to have at least an hour just to catch on to how to play. We are looking for a lost child so maybe the outcome has redeeming qualities and ding dong the witch is dead.

Opinion pending.

aenvit
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by aenvit on Mar 23, 11 3:16 AM
looked like a good game but had issues from the start. first of all couldn't move from the soldier laying by the fire - went to exit and then back in and all of a sudden I could move. Loved the way the objects youre supposed to find changed - that was a new and exciting feature but after I found all my ingredients, they disappeared and I couldn't find them anywhere. Again, seemed interesting but will not buy this game until the glitches are fixed

DeeBeth
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by DeeBeth on Mar 23, 11 3:28 AM
aenvit wrote:

...after I found all my ingredients, they disappeared and I couldn't find them anywhere...

I think maybe your ingredients went into your inventory list and your probably showing the object list. It's the same button - click on it and it'll switch you to the other one. See if that works.

Go to: