bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Mar 28, 11 12:41 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Mar 28, 11 1:03 AM
Although all Hdo games have the same controls and graphics for adjustments, I found the story in this one much better than other games of there's. It is very simplistic in it's game play and does seem like an older hog. I think it's o.k. for DD or punch card. But I wouldn't pay full price. I think I like it a bit more than other's because I am a Captain Nemo fan. I'd say give it a try to see if the story catche's you. Truly the only thing I can say I like about this game it the story.

I'd rate this game.

PORK BELLY

PORK BELLY:
Likable game for some, but not for everyone.

‘ ‘
(o)

gmmace
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by gmmace on Mar 28, 11 1:07 AM
Gameplay simplistic and boring, waayy too much dialogue. I pass on this one.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Mar 28, 11 1:15 AM
A straight vanilla ****. The graphics got a little clearer looking after a few screens. It has timer and timed options. On one of the ****'s had to go into options to darken up the brightness (white on white objects).

Easy play and few different mini games. Not a game for me at any price.

Happy game day

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Mar 28, 11 1:16 AM
Hi all.

I have played for 45 mins & popped out as I hate to run out of time mid puzzle etc.

Well, what to make of this game ???

To start with the beautiful welcome screen is different as the captain Pugwash style waves move with your curser.

There are crisp, clear instructions and a very nice basic & unobtrusive tutorial. (ie making you click on objects or making you waste a hint.)

So far I have come across a lot of dialogue through out. I certainly don't mind story telling in games & I feel it adds to the ambience although I know it will irk some. Some times the dialogue is story telling others it is conversation.

The click penalty is a dark screen for a few secs.

There are two modes of game play normal & timed. If you play the normal (adventurer) you can find special bonus stars to gain more hints ot in the timed version you gain more time..

The game recommends you turn your systems setting to brightest but I did not find this necessary.

The graphics can be just a touch grainy but all the objects are very clear to find and there is a magnifyer option too.

I can play this game with out my glasses which I never thoought would happen again LOL..

There are hidden objects, shillouettes and minigames in abundance although I found it all very easy.

I love the idea of the game. It says it is an extened version but I have no idea how long it is. I would buy it if I didn't have full punch cards already but also because of its ease I will wait for a DD. (Thats the plan)

7/10 form me.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Mar 28, 11 1:37 AM
Well, we can certainly say that HdO is consistent: they always produce the most primitive, ridiculous excuses for games that anyone could possibly imagine. My question is, 'Why does BFG distribute these pieces of junk?' In addition very weak storylines, extremely awkward game play, and some of the worst English language translations, their games show no imagination, creativity or innovation. A great example of the poor English language translation is in this game: try searching for "Rope Instruments", and find that they are a mandoline and a bass fiddle; or how about "Plate" for a painting hanging on a wall?. The mini-games are tedious and repetitive. Perhaps other sites might get away with foisting these duds on their members, but BFG has a more sophisticated, cerebral following, for the most part. Felix, you need to take a look at your Quality Control department. (Is there a way to give negative stars?)

Edited on 03/28/2011 at 7:01:01 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Mar 28, 11 1:57 AM
(posted from another thread--just want to spread the word!)

Either BFG is swiping another portal's thunder (if you can call it that), or is resorting to a rerun. I know I've had experience with this game sometime in the recent past--a no-go then, so a no-go now--elementary graphics and an overabundance of dialogue.

What a shame--a real Monday-morning bummer! We were waiting for F.A.C.E.S., I'll bet! Maybe Mudrock will have an update later today.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 28, 11 2:14 AM
Well I must say this is an improvement on the other games I have played from this developer and I stuck this one out for the full hour.

The graphics are quite good but some of the objects are still small and some have the minutest bit sticking out from behind something else, eg looking for a statue and you cannot see any part of the statue whatsoever just 1/5th of an inch of a pedestal .

The hints recharge soooooo slowly and I won't tell you how many times I was penalised by the screen going dark for misclicking especially when clicking on the only table in the scene ... apparently the tables were actually pictures on the walls . I hadn't a clue what rope instruments were and just clicked on the two musical instruments I could see and which turned out to be correct. The thing that got me though was the partition as I was looking for some sort of room divider ... I didn't know that it is actually a musical score as well and I wonder how many other people do but at least the devs used the right word in this case.

What there is of the story is not very interesting so far and I just can't see where they are actually going with it .

... OK is everyone sitting down ... I actually liked the music and sounds especially at the beginning and thought they fitted the game well ... Yes I did say I liked them, you do not need .

Cherb

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Mar 28, 11 2:50 AM
Not ANOther HdO game!

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on Mar 28, 11 2:53 AM

SPOILER ALERT THIS IS AN OLD GAME

Yes this is an oldie alright they must be digging in the bottom of the barrel, I down loaded it and my trial time was up, I must have had a reason not to buy it then. So Big fishes BEWARE this has been around the circuit before

Edited on 03/28/2011 at 2:57:23 AM PST

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Mar 28, 11 4:09 AM
An Hdo game? Pass! I've learned my lesson from the last two Hdo games....hopefully F.A.C.E.S will be out this week!

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Mar 28, 11 4:17 AM
This was the best HdO game I've ever demoed. Of course, since I hated all the others, that's not saying much. It's not...horrible. The graphics were interesting, the music, OK. I didn't find the reading cumbersome, because you can click the > button to go through it quickly. Some of the "hidden objects," were certainly NOT hidden. I'm referring to the table of food and the library books which were just silly. So, although I didn't hate it, I'm not purchasing it. I might, just might, consider it as a DD sometime when I'm desperate for a new game. Maybe...

[Post New]by alpacatom on Mar 28, 11 4:21 AM
This one is a older one and I have it as it came as a package of 5 seek and find adventures at a big chain w--- m--- that was 9.96 for all.

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Mar 28, 11 4:22 AM
Well first of all there are games that we have brought which are a couple of years old and we still enjoy playing them, so have no issues that this is not a "brand" new game.

Saying that, I cannot see myself buying this game, it just did not have this engaging factor, just trudging on to where they're telling you to click, no sense of achievement. I suppose its like if your trying to break through a stone wall-its not enjoying to do it, but your waiting, waiting for the moment when your free and accomplished it, so there was no enjoyment of trying to escape Nemo.

The Yard Sale games for example and least you were building upto finishing the project, by accomplishing mini projects of redecorating -so you had the sense that you were doing something, not just going around collecting and waitng for the home to look good at the end, and I have recently played this old game again.

So I would certainly advise people to try it as "gameplay" it was OK, as someone may like it.

Edited on 03/28/2011 at 4:23:54 AM PST

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Mar 28, 11 4:26 AM
This may be a silly question, but I keep on forgetting to ask what does hdo stand for??? Or is that the company initials?

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Mar 28, 11 4:31 AM
CasualGran wrote:@Elldee2728 and @Maggieannie43

As I said in my earlier comment, I do agree this is not a new game. It has been released in March 2010. But... I think it was released elsewhere and not at BF.

Could you tell us please what you mean? Did you try out here or maybe elswhere and forgot about that?

Hey CasualGran--I did not directly accuse of offering a rerun--the game could certainly have been available through another portal (GH?). My little gray cells aren't what they used to be, but I KNOW I've played at least the demo b4. My comments about it still stand. (But I'm thinking! )

Stariannah
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Stariannah on Mar 28, 11 5:02 AM
HdO? Again? Come ON BigFish!! Do y'all have some sort of contract with these cretins? A contract that y'all for some bizarre reason you're unable to get out of? Did Picman sign something in blood? Is THAT why y'all keep foisting this garbage upon us? You CAN'T be making a profit on these games. So what is it? Why do y'all keep torturing us this way? WHY BigFish, WHY????

S.

kat1117
Clownfish
Clownfish
956 Posts

[Post New]by kat1117 on Mar 28, 11 5:10 AM
I think I have already tried this game. Don't think I'll bother today.

gaylele
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by gaylele on Mar 28, 11 5:54 AM
HasNazir wrote:This may be a silly question, but I keep on forgetting to ask what does hdo stand for??? Or is that the company initials?

I believe they mean Hidden Objects Game....a HdO instead of a HOG

Edited on 03/28/2011 at 5:55:00 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Mar 28, 11 5:54 AM
Stariannah wrote:HdO? Again? Come ON BigFish!! Do y'all have some sort of contract with these cretins? A contract that y'all for some bizarre reason you're unable to get out of? Did Picman sign something in blood? Is THAT why y'all keep foisting this garbage upon us? You CAN'T be making a profit on these games. So what is it? Why do y'all keep torturing us this way? WHY BigFish, WHY????

S.
O dear, you are really

Go to: