bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Empress of the Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Mar 31, 11 12:15 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Empress of the Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Empress of the Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale Collector's Editi

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Mar 31, 11 12:18 AM
I didn't play Empress of the Deep so although I am lost, I am sure I will catch on.

The graphics are beautiful. The voice overs are pleasant. The mini games seem a little too easy but they are interesting nonetheless.

I am excited about this game. It surprised me!

Edited on 03/31/2011 at 9:14:51 AM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Empress of the Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 31, 11 12:33 AM
Downloading - looks great! Well, I'm just gong to finish the rest of the root beer I forgot and left on the table next to my computer. It's 3:30 in the morning here. I actually went to bed at a reasonable time (for me) at 1:30 in the morning, then woke up at 3:04 a.m., which translates to 4 minutes after midnight in Big Fish Time.

So I don't feel like making coffee or tea just yet!

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Empress of the Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale Collector's Edition

[Post New]by rhorho on Mar 31, 11 12:36 AM
Ok, I gonna try it also. Do post like these count toward the changing of your fish status? I so, I can see why there are so many like these.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Mar 31, 11 12:54 AM
Wow, what a beautifull game!!! It's clear en colorfull. The puzzles are not difficult.
I love that dolpfin. It's wonderfull to look around.

The sad thing is I can buy it tomorrow because I have already 4 full punchcards.

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Mar 31, 11 1:01 AM
i only played for about 15 minutes before i bought the game, i just wanted to make sure it worked with no glitches.

the graphics are clear and the voices are great, i loved the talking dolphin. first mini game i encountered i had to use the ? to see what i needed to do and it was very simple. this game is an ihog just like the first one. the first h o scene i encountered wasn't junkpile but very nicely spaced out and most things fit the scenery.

looks like there are high scores and there are 3 empty spaces above your profile that i don't know what they are about yet. there is no option for custom cursor.

i am giving this game based on my gameplay so far

5 out of 5

[Post New]by jumpoffjoecreek on Mar 31, 11 1:02 AM
Not fair. I only needed one not 3. I loved the first one. Hope this is just as good

gillydi53
Clownfish
Clownfish
703 Posts

[Post New]by gillydi53 on Mar 31, 11 1:07 AM
Now I'm stuck be cause I wanted a game today to fill my second punchcard .Won't buy this one as i'm not keen on water themed games the DD is not to my taste at all but don't want to leave my punchcard with 5 games .As someone commented earlier I wish BF would let us carry cards over .Will have to decide whether to buy puppetshow CE !

orijojo
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by orijojo on Mar 31, 11 1:14 AM
WOW! I only opened this up and looked around and I’m already hooked.

I bought the first Empress but it was so long ago I have forgotten most of it although I did enjoy it.

I promised myself I would not buy C/E games anymore but this is so beautiful, I doubt I can resist, but I will have to wait till April, as my punch card is full at the moment.

I loved that the Strategy Guide is available for the first chapter only, and it looks as if there 8 plus chapters. I doubt I will use the Strategy Guide but I love that it is there.

The voice overs are very good and the story line sounds interesting. I’m going to finish the trial, then play the original game while I’m waiting for April in the US. It will be April here (Australia) in under 5 hours.

Have fun everyone! I can’t wait to hear what you think of this game.

Jojo

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Empress of the Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale Collector's Editio

[Post New]by kdubs on Mar 31, 11 1:25 AM
After 20 minutes of the trial, I came to buy. Usually I'm very cautious on CE's because I need to keep a balanced budget so I wait until players I've come to trust report on the finished game. This time, caution to the wind. I have several Silverback and Gogii games. Haven't been disappointed yet.
The first game was very good but I think graphics in this one are way better. The great voicework is back too!
It's an IHOG in every sense of the word, lots of things to find and do. Mini's come with instructions and can be skipped after a short wait.
The built-in Strategy Guide is partially available for the Sample Play. It looks pretty good.
There are trophies to earn, a gem matching game called ZEM but I couldn't see how to demo it. The Extras mentioned "Royal Treasures in Exclusive Hidden Object Scenes".
Nice way to end the month for me. The 3 punches fills my 2nd card.
Happy Gaming Everyone!

Edited on 03/31/2011 at 1:47:22 AM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Empress of the Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale Collector's Edi

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 31, 11 1:39 AM
I bought it. I needed it to fill my punch card, along with last week's CE that I hadn't purchased yet. That gives me two more entries into the March contest and another full punch card.

BTW, the Developer has a rep who is posting in the forum today, in the "Hi again everybody!" thread.

On to the game:The Options menu is simple, with sliders for music, volume and effects, and a check button for full screen. No option to change from the custom curser.

There are nice voice overs in the game, not just in the introduction. I could do without the near "wardrobe malfuntion" of the heroine. I understand she just survived a shipwreck, but they could have made her clothing tattered and dirty to convey that message rather than have her top nearly falling off.

There is a nice "How to Play" screen, which minimizes the boring tutorials that pop up during play, There were a few, but not nearly as much as normal.

Cute little flying dolphins (Crystal Dolphins) to collect, to give you special powers. And there is a trophy room (achievements,) but I haven't gotten into it too much.

The Strategy Guide is accessible during the demo, and shows that there are 10 chapters. The SG is good, nice and clear instructions, good screenshots, but I don't like the way it closes. In order to close you need to go back to the index and close from there - that means you need to find your place every time. I prefer to just open it back up where I left off, not have to remember where I was or what chapter I was doing.

The hint recharges in about 30 seconds. There is a click penalty, but I had to purposely click quite a bit before it triggered. The penalty is a cloud of black smoke and the cursor changes to a universal "No" symbol - the red circle with the slash across it.

The first minigame I encountered was a nice twist on plugging wires in.

When you complete an area, you get an "Area Clear" message. I like that - I hate wasting time looking around an area with nothing in it, doing a pixel hunt in case I've missed something. The graphics are superb, but there is a grainy quality to some of them - not because of bad graphics, it is obviously intentional and enhances rather than detracts from the atmosphere.

Overall, thumbs up (or fins up?) on this game. No game is for everybody, but this might suit most of us. As always TRY BEFORE BUYING to make sure it works on your computer!!

Edited on 03/31/2011 at 1:44:17 AM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Mar 31, 11 2:02 AM
This one is absolutely beautiful, and I spend a lot of time just admiring the scenes. Game play is rather simple, puzzles are doable, I love his voice, but hers just doesn't quite fit, but that is a minor thing. There is some hand holding...items you need do sparkle so you can't miss them. I am sure there will be some that won't like this game for that reason, but I am enjoying it.

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on Mar 31, 11 2:12 AM
Just finished the trial and it's a MUST have! Will have to wait until tomorrow as I have exactly 4 punch cards filled too.

Match the animals in the pigeon holed wall was an adorable change to a common minigame . Excellent puzzles and the HOG scenes are better than usual and there isn't a continuous stream of them.

Well done developers

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Mar 31, 11 2:15 AM
I did the beta of this game a few months back it is a great game!
Too bad it has been released on the last day of the month, but enjoy fishies.

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Mar 31, 11 2:45 AM
Cruel cruel Big Fish!

How could you do this to me?

I'm already way overspent on my monthly games budget and now I'm going to have to go without food for a whole month because I simply HAVE to have this game!

I absolutely loved the first one, and apart from Mademe Fate and RtR it's my favouritist game of all time.

Oh well, I need to lose a bit of weight anyway!

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Mar 31, 11 2:53 AM
the demo is the beta!i finished in 3/4 of an hour taking my time to see every details;i'll buy it,but tomorrow!(for a good management of my punch card!!!!

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Mar 31, 11 3:03 AM
Played 15 mins and bought it. I have the first game which I liked, with lots of things to do and sci-fi sort of feel. This game is very similar. I like the different game play, i.e. not the usual spookey, mystery, vampire, etc type game. Beautiful graphics, excellent character voice, although the characters of the animals around her are irritating (but they don't talk much so it is fine).

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Mar 31, 11 3:06 AM
Decided I would stop buying with 2 punch cards filled BUT with this one and Shiver a third one is on it's way !! Loved the first one, and (great for me) this one seems easier. I hope I won't get lost, though there's a map in this one too, as I did in the first one.
SG is included in the demo, didn't use it so far but I can't swear I won't. Lovely, clear graphics, mini games not too difficult up to now, love the voices and the animals.
Sinshack said more or less everything worth knowing. Did he say the hint refills pretty fast ?
A buy, played the whole demo and was surprised when it ended....
Who said in the other thread about the game that it seemed a short one ? The first one took me hours (if not days) and I guess this one will too.
Five out of five.

Kelvarda
Stingray
Stingray
5,173 Posts

[Post New]by Kelvarda on Mar 31, 11 3:10 AM
The Sample version download does not seem very big, but it is more than enough to know whether you want to buy or not, and if you have played Empress I you will know! At the main screen, there are the usual slider options of Music, Voices, Effects and Fullscreen option. I don’t think it filled mine but I didn’t notice very much. The Music is beautiful and the voices are melodious, and I found no need to turn any of these off. The main cursor is the system cursor until you need to interact, then it changes to magnifying glass or hand.

The Strategy Guide is inbuilt, and can be accessed from the Demo, but only for the Prologue and to the end of the First Chapter entitled ‘Spring Aqueduct until you actually buy the game. From the SG I could see there were 10 areas to explore and each area looked to be quite long. On first introduction you get a re-cap of the end of Empress I, with an option to skip the cut scene, I didn't do this as the artwork made this impossible to do, it is beautiful, and the spoken dialogue tells the story. Your task is to journey to the cloud city in the sky to free the Four Children of Light and heal the animal slaves.

You awake on the beach with a destroyed air balloon and a dolphin wearing some sort of machine-like head gear. Your first task is to repair the balloon and remove the machinery head gear from the dolphin, whom you must also heal with your magic power. Once healed he/she will give you the medallion of ‘Spring’ to continue your quest. Your magic is replenished by collecting ‘crystal and ‘flying fairy’ dolphins’ which you find scattered about various scenes.

The H0 scenes were do-able for me, but for those with sight limitations some objects may be difficult to find, but the Hint refills quickly (30 secs) and if you over click, it’s a dark swirly cloud with a red “No” symbol, but this disappears quickly. When an area has been searched an ‘Area Clear’ appears in the top corner, so you know you’ve finished there and can move on.

The first Chapter entails searching the accessible areas for 12 Shards of the Water Crystal, which when you have found them all, you put it together as a ‘mini puzzle’ The other mini puzzles were do-able and quite fun, and I had just got to near the end of Spring when my demo finished. (Curses!!) I would imagine the Match 3 options comes into play after completion of the initial game play.

A buy for me tomorrow

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Empress of the Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale Collector's Editio

[Post New]by Poutoule on Mar 31, 11 3:11 AM
rhorho wrote:Ok, I gonna try it also. Do post like these count toward the changing of your fish status? I so, I can see why there are so many like these.

You should have a and you will see the brighter side of things and that forums are friendly places where you can share a little joke once in a while ! Boy ! Another post and I don't want to swap my clownfish for another one as I love him.........

Go to: