Senior Citizens sign in!!

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

Re:Senior Citizens sign in!!

[Post New]by marie1931 on Nov 23, 17 10:57 AM
OOo_jules_oOO wrote:HI Marie. Hanging Rock is a large rocky outcrop in Central Victoria, it is a really beautiful place but very haunting and eerie. Look it up on the internet, you will find some wonderful pictures. A famous Australian novel was set there, called Picnic at Hanging Rock. Its become almost folklore but the novel is brilliant, the movie was haunting and unforgettable, and its an Australian classic. It was set around the turn of the century, (1900, not 2000) The theme music from the movie is a wonderful instrumental piece of pan pipes, it’s very beautiful and haunting, as was the story. Its all on the internet, have a look, its fascinating.

Jules
Now I remember the movie. It was directed by Peter Weir and have it on DVD with others of his films ( the cars that ate Paris, the last wave)
He is one of my favorite directors.
I didn't make the connection when you talked about Hanging Rock.

kailuaauntie
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by kailuaauntie on Nov 23, 17 5:01 PM
Re moving forward w/out building the monument ** that may have gone bye bye with the latest update. Tried to move to level 71 in Istanbul it but made me build the monument first. It was good while it lasted.

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Nov 23, 17 5:49 PM
Lovely to know some people out there have seen the movie. Its a very different one, but lots of Aussie movies are quite quirky and different. Snowman, I would just like to point out, that Koalas are NOT bears. Australians also seem to get this fact wrong, but they are simply Koalas. Its a tag that has stuck to them, but they are marsupials, have pouches and all the other things that go along with this, bears do not. We have NO bears in Australia, apart from the beautiful ones at the various zoos. And as for Kangaroos, if they do put more in Melbourne, I sincerely hope they are more realistic than the ones hopping around Sydney. The 'hop' is wrong and their ears are horrible, the ears make them look more like a Caracal or Bob Cat than a Kangaroo. And as for a can of fosters, you can have that all on your own. I am not a fan of beer at all, I prefer a rum, we make that here too, really good stuff. Another 'supposedly' Aussie icon in the food line would have to be that revolting stuff Vegemite. I get totally sick of everyone in the world thinking that all Aussies live on it, that is so far from the truth its not funny. Many people do NOT like it. Its just a thing that is popular with its fans, but its not universally liked by every single person. But G'day everyone! I don't always say that, but it seems to be an Aussie thing. Like COOOOEEE, that sounds fabulous if you are in a cave or somewhere it can echo. Another wonderful sound from Australia is the sound of the Kookaburras calling. Look that up on the net guys, there will be videos of it am sure, the sound is gorgeous out in the bush.

Edited on 11/23/2017 at 5:52:39 PM PST

Jolliejackie
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by Jolliejackie on Nov 24, 17 12:20 AM
Santas workshop has just popped up on my iPad
Also special on increasing lives from 3 to 5 . It's 50% off so it's $4.99 and an added bonus of 2 hours infinite lives !
I did post about the lives on a separate thread. I'm hoping that those who don't read our excellent informative sometimes quirky posts will notice and avail of the sale if they so wish.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Nov 24, 17 3:59 AM
I like Sam's Christmas outfit!

And I was impatient to get my first level of the day played. I started downloading Christmas, then saw it was slow and tapped my daily event city. Saw it was slow so tapped Christmas again and it loaded right up. Then after playing a while there I went to my daily challenge city and that loaded right up.

This means that you can queue city downloads (at least one or two) to load in the background while you play! So those of us who ship can likely queue up several cities and not be quite as aggravated about new releases that need to re download all the cities.

Edited on 11/24/2017 at 3:59:54 AM PST

snowmanvt
Clownfish
Clownfish
566 Posts

[Post New]by snowmanvt on Nov 24, 17 6:26 AM
Jules: Thanks for the sweet input on Australia. I guess I will have to visit to confirm all my new knowledge. I had forgotten about Vegemite...I tried it once while in london. Vile stuff indeed. Beer is not my favorite, but not rum either. But a good dry martini is another thing...... Today is Black Friday in the US, a truly horrible day of consumer excess and worship of the material. I make it a point to wait until tomorrow which is "local, small business Saturday" to go out.

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Nov 24, 17 7:32 AM
Vegemite ....
it is a very bad souvenir ...
And I can say that's the same in France. Many poeple do not like cheese

Edited on 11/24/2017 at 7:39:50 AM PST

fishfinder246
Minnow
Minnow
271 Posts

[Post New]by fishfinder246 on Nov 24, 17 8:23 AM
Never heard of vegemite! I'm in southeastern U.S., and I agree with the other poster, it's black Friday here and I never go out!!!
Support the locals as much as you can!!

Fish

GamingGrampa
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by GamingGrampa on Nov 24, 17 10:01 AM
Hi everyone, I'm gonna try to address a few of the latest posts all at once, because I'll be out of touch for the weekend, better half and I are heading up the coast to Santa Barbara and Solvang! First, lordkalvan I totally agree, Sam looks great in her winter outfit, turning into a real fashion diva! Snowmanvt and fish, Black Friday has reached levels of stupidity that I couldn't have imagined 20 years ago, now they've dragged it into Thanksgiving afternoon! And finally jules, congratulations on GD coming back to Australia, I would like to offer you the honor of posting the monuments for Melbourne, I know Trav3lbird will agree with me! And the only time I've ever heard of vegemite was in a song back in the early 80's (Men at Work- Down Under)

Pavanne
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Pavanne on Nov 24, 17 11:24 AM
Black Friday seems to last a week in the UK. British stores imported it from the US several years ago and it’s spread every year. Many of the offers advertised don’t appear to be any better than special offers that appear at various times throughout the year. Gummy Drop provided the best offer for me - £4.99 for the life lifter and a bonus 2 hours free play. Thank you Big Fish!

kailuaauntie
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by kailuaauntie on Nov 24, 17 11:47 AM
“Grampa”. While in Solvang, have an Ebelskiver (or three) for me. My golly, but those things are good. Are you going to stop by Pea Soup Anderson’s while you are up in that part of God’s country? (Some times I really do wish I lived further south,)

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Nov 25, 17 1:27 AM
Black Friday is in France too.

Don't go shopping this day.

Does Black Friday exists because of Thanksgiving ?
If yes, I really don't know why we have it in France since we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here. But I guess that its great for US families who live in my country.

Edited on 11/25/2017 at 1:28:49 AM PST

[Post New]by globetrotter217 on Nov 25, 17 5:10 AM
Black Friday came to Germany too, along with Halloween and Valentine's Day. But fortunately it is mostly done online, so nobody us trampled and one can go out. Thanksgiving is celebrated on the first Sunday of October, without turkey dinners and shopping sprees, sometimes with a parade and mostly with decorations made of wheat or some other grain.

keitht53
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
461 Posts

[Post New]by keitht53 on Nov 25, 17 10:45 AM
Regarding Black Friday. Report in our local paper of the massive queue outside Toys R Us - 1 person!!

Various surveys have also shown Black Friday to be a major con trick. In many shops the prices have either been lower in the months prior to BF, raised for 28 days in order for the 'reduction' to be legal in ads, or the price drops further shortly after BF.
I don't understand how people get sucked into it. If I want something I buy it when I want it, or when the price drops to something I'm willing to pay. I have never bought something simply because it's supposedly reduced unless I want it anyway.

Edited on 11/25/2017 at 10:49:15 AM PST

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Nov 25, 17 5:45 PM
OK, I am back from another weekend away, no wifi, therefore, no treasure chests still, yet, the really weird thing is, the scratch tickets came up twice while away, but as I had no wifi anyway, I still could not send the gift to a friend, and had no choice but to just claim it myself, which is not a big deal, just a fact. I so wish we could hit a button on the ticket that says, come back LATER when its CONVENIENT!

Thanks Grampa for asking me to do the resources needed for Melbourne when it comes up, but honestly, I am not in the habit of even thinking about whats required when I get to build any monument and hardly ever take notice, so you guys, all do it anyway, as Its highly likely I will just build them without thinking about it as I ship vast quantities of resources. I downloaded Copenhagen just before I left for the weekend, as I didn't have to do the driving, I managed to get to level 95 in just over 24 hours (not all in the car of course) and I blasted through the monuments still without taking notice of how much they all were, just kept shipping on. I find also that if I am playing and use up my 5 lives, taking time out to go through all the cities to ship takes more than regenerating one life (as there are 60 of them to do now) and so I can at least continue playing a little bit more once thats done, then when I do get to the 10th one and have to build the monument, the resources have arrived and I just do it.

And the Men at Work song you are thinking of is called, 'downunder'. Its a great song and yes, its from the 80s, which had both some amazing music and some just dreadful stuff.

And as for Black Friday sales, I have noticed them online for many years, mainly from companies I get email newsletters from in the USA, but I agree, they seem to have expanded almost worldwide now and I have this year, even noticed shops in our local area with sales for this event. Its crazy. Like Halloween.

Edited on 11/25/2017 at 5:46:27 PM PST

OOo_jules_oOO
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by OOo_jules_oOO on Nov 27, 17 10:31 PM
Hi everyone. I just remembered to post this info in case anyone was wondering. This is to follow up from the original post by Lizziebgood, about being able to move on in the game without building the monuments (see page 72 of this thread), I did the whole of Abu Dhabi without building a single monument, but just kept shipping in resources as I knew I would have to later anyway. But I wanted to see what would happen if I got to 120 if it would move on. NO, so I built the last monument, still NO, nothing happened. It would not open up Copenhagen at all. The passport also of course had nothing in it. Noticed a post somewhere since the new update that that loophole had been closed, but even it it were still able to be used, it doesn't really get you anywhere anyway as I had to go through and build every single monument in order for it to close off the city and move on. Just wanted to post this info for anyone interested.

fishfinder246
Minnow
Minnow
271 Posts

[Post New]by fishfinder246 on Nov 28, 17 12:02 PM
Jules,
Good info, thanks for letting us know!

Fish

Gummynut
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by Gummynut on Nov 29, 17 8:00 AM
Yet another “improvement to the game” with this last update.
All passports reflect a change in nomenclature, (ha, my big word of the day)!

We no longer have architect, intern and master builder levels, we have tier 1,2,3.

FYI

GamingGrampa
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by GamingGrampa on Nov 29, 17 10:06 AM
Hi everyone, just throwing my two cents in, gummynut that's definitely an improvement and hopefully the new designation will help the newbies when they're asking for level help! And jules thanks for your quick response, no worries trav and I will just flip a coin, ha-ha! And finally I want to thank all my Gummy Drop friends for the warm wishes and kind thoughts this past weekend when my better half and I went away for a long weekend, I had almost two dozen PM's waiting for me and only three were for resources posting, you all are an incredible group of people and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Edited on 11/29/2017 at 10:06:49 AM PST

Loonz111
Clownfish
Clownfish
876 Posts

[Post New]by Loonz111 on Nov 30, 17 7:14 AM
Just found some weird things in Tokio... Had the daily challenge there, suddenly saw a box near level 83, tapped and received 3 kite boosts. The dog near level 110 told me to get the 10 items in levels 111 to 120 for 15 green gems.. did that one a long time ago!

Go to: