roxas87
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

CE SPOILER ALERT!! Don't read this if you're not ready!

[Post New]by roxas87 on Apr 1, 11 9:36 AM
alright..i already finished my CE version for this game,and the only left to play is to get the trophy for the specially exclusive, ZEM game..this thread will include some spoilers,and several reasons that may or may not valued $13.99 to buy this CE game for your money..

first thing off,the standard version (SE) will ended up the story as Anna will be crowned as the new Empress, with the last part/chapter in the game was in Pandora's Castle. at this point of game,the plot really changed and a little bit intense, as you uncovered the unclouded truth of your so-called friend, Jacob. and also the true identity of the Whale and the children you released earlier in the game will be revealed too. after this point of game,the collector's edition of this game takes part.

1. if you found diary's cartridges during your quest, there is a special equipment that somewhat played the cartridges, and reveal the past story of Pandora (Pandora's Diary). 8 cartridges can be played, and if you're a hardcore of this EOTD series, you may want to buy this CE for more in-depth storyline.

2. after that,you will receive 4 pandora's head, and need to back-track to every 4 seasons doors,where you need to put the head on the strange glyph you saw during your quest. after you finished,the door to another bonus gameplay is unlocked. here,you need to play 4 of 'matching small tiles into a larger frame' game, and 4 of HOG. the matching one didn't have much different than the one you played during your quest,and the HOG is no different either,which you need to find several treasures (VERY EASY,even a kid can do it) and gems in specific shapes among other shapes in the treasure box (quite hard,'cause the gems (tons of them) are in the same color and very sparkling.i must say it will disturb your eyes for those who are not used to sparkle/flashing thingy). for $13.99,this bonus gameplay is absolutely not worth it.

3. after you finished all 8 games,here comes the ZEM game! this unique bonus gameplay is much valued for $13.99. why?you can challenge yourself to get trophies (200 for bronze,4000 for silver and 10K for gold). the game is no ordinary M3 game. there are 8 holes where 4 different colored gems are placed (randomly) in a circle. then,you need to pick any hole,and distributed the gems in clockwise fashion until you have no more gems to distribute. *continue below*

Edited on 04/01/2011 at 11:10:19 AM PST

roxas87
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

Re:CE SPOILER ALERT!! Don't read this if you're not ready!

[Post New]by roxas87 on Apr 1, 11 9:48 AM
this process keeps repeating,until you match 3 of respective colored gems in any hole that have it (combined total of 3). after you M3 it,there will be a flying dolphin gem in the hole,where you M3-ed it (1 M3=1 dolphin gem). you will need to repeat this stuff,until there is no more gems left in the hole. then, you will level-up and keep repeating it.

it have imperial power mode,where you can M3 any of the gems regardless of holes, when you collecting enough magic power and reach max. magic bar. you collect the magic power by matching those gems. the time duration is 3 minutes,and everytime you level-up (cleared holes), it will add another 20 seconds. in conclusion,if you want this unique game at your disposal,you really need to buy the CE version.

ok,that's all for my CE spoiler. overall,the CE version of this game only stands up when you want to go deeper into the storyline (diary's cartridges), and playing ZEM game .

PS:for me,i'm gonna get that silver and gold trophy after finishing this post. i tell you! this ZEM game is very hard! for getting 4K and 10K scores. my best till now is only at 750+

Edited on 04/01/2011 at 9:52:34 AM PST

xssa
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by xssa on Apr 1, 11 7:40 PM
i don't think the zem game was worth it.
maybe i should have waited until the se. anyway, good game, the ingame guide would have been nice if i had needed it.
and i totally agree, the sparkling gems at the end are hard on the eyes. try picking out heart shapes or diamonds. ouch.

[Post New]by goodoodreaming on Apr 8, 11 10:35 PM
Does any one know how to work ZEM, I can't get past 2.500 and neither can my friends, the magic isn't to bad but the timer is ludicrous, it's no fun trying to play and learn a game if you aren't professor Einstein if the time limit is set so you don't have a chance in hell to achieve it.

mothermayhem
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by mothermayhem on Apr 12, 11 6:07 AM
goodoodreaming wrote:Does any one know how to work ZEM, I can't get past 2.500 and neither can my friends, the magic isn't to bad but the timer is ludicrous, it's no fun trying to play and learn a game if you aren't professor Einstein if the time limit is set so you don't have a chance in hell to achieve it.

I am so with you there. I really love the concept of Zem, but there is literally no advancement.It would really be cool If they could develop Zem into a stand alone game.

[Post New]by goodoodreaming on Apr 12, 11 10:12 PM
I got over 3,000, don't know how I did it, and haven't been able to do it again, when you try to slow down to get the idea of how and what gives you better scores it times out.
I sent an emailer to the creator of the game, his answer was less than helpful.
I also suggested Zem as a stand alone game would be good.

If you could turn that dam timer off and get the feel for the game it might help.
As for now, ZEM is in mothballs, and I really did like it, and none of my family or friends want another go at it.

anton_c
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by anton_c on Apr 13, 11 2:50 AM
Hi All
I've also posted queries about Zem in the other thread (Zem High Scores) and have not gotten any responses from those who claim to have gotten 100,000. Not surprising. One of the designers did answer me, though and pointed out that when
making a match-3, if by doing it you empty a "hole" it's better and then you can eventually get more points. This was mentioned in the instructions for Zem, but I concentrated on it anyway and got......nowhere!
Can't manage to get above 5000 ...and that only once in a GREAT while. A very frustrating and, ultimately, annoying game.
Good luck all. If anyone comes up with anything else, I'd love to hear it.
Anton

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Apr 13, 11 8:43 PM
I noticed the deafening silence to your requests anton_c. I found that very interesting considering folks were so happy to post their scores, you think they'd be just as happy to show us how clever they are by telling us how they did it! Ah well, maybe they just haven't popped back in lately.

I have absolutely no answer for you, though, sorry. I played Zem long enough to get the first trophy, then quit. Match 3 isn't my thing.

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Apr 13, 11 11:17 PM
My daughter got the silver trophy on her second try. She is young and has fast reactions. I didn't care for it at all because of the timer, I don't have fast reactions and prefer to think before I perform an action. Was strange to see this as bonus content at the end of a very nice H.O game.

[Post New]by goodoodreaming on Apr 15, 11 10:06 PM
Although it tells you you may chose three of any set, it doesn't tell you you may choose 3 of all sets.
e.g: three blue, three birds, three red etc., the more three's you choose the quicker the bowls empty. Many players think you can only choose three of one kind and clicking on the others simply gives you bonus points, click on sets of three of the same, as many as you can. Instructions are minimal and lacking, how can anyone design such a great game, with potential, and ignore what the gaming community is trying to tell them.
HELLO, we might not have one foot in the grave, but we aren't all youngsters, and many of us wear glassses, I would purchase more games, if the 'YOUNG' game designers would listen, does money talk, because more purchases means you get more money.

Timing is also a bit quick, we don't sit and play all day every day, and having families sometimes our minds are multi tasking, how about a bit of respect and appreciation for older players who really do enjoy your games, and the chance to move the grey matter.

Yes I find the lack of return of the forums of all these big score members a trite suspicious.

[Post New]by elemare on Apr 16, 11 11:59 AM
Are you all kidding? This has to be among the BEST CE games I ever bought (and I have bought many). Not only are the graphics gorgeous, the puzzles intuitive, and the hidden objects just tough enough to find to be challenging without frustrating or pumping "hints," but there is genuine replay value to this game if you want to go back and play ZEM. By the way, ZEM actually IS free-standing if you think about it - you access it easily and anytime, long after you finished the main quest.

How many other CEs have only pretty but useless concept art, maybe some music from the score, or - at best - one more chapter that, once completed, means you walk away and put the thing in mothballs? Besides the extra chapter, all of that stuff is meaningful only to the game designers as a virtual trophy case of the hours they put into development. But what does this "extra content" mean to YOU? An extra 14 bucks because you can't use a game credit, LOL.

This game gives you something to go back for. Whether you choose to do so or not is up to you.

But by all means, please stop complaining! If you never again play ZEM after trying it once, consider the extra "gameplay" to get there, the extra background story in the cartridges - it's more than most CEs give you.

This is the ideal design for a Collector's Edition - truly EXTRA content that is integrated yet separate from the main game, and useful and satisfying in its own right.

The ZEM timer? Don't be frustrated, be determined. Think ahead before choosing an outside bowl. My best ZEM tip:
1. Try to create empty bowls as well as bowls with single gems that will match in sequence when you "bunny hop" them (my term for when a single gem "hops" directly into the next bowl). That helps create "pure" matches that are worth more points.
2. When "bunny hopping," always move the single gem closest to "target" bowl first, then move the single gem behind it, until they land one at a time in your "target" bowl. Otherwise if you move the second gem too far, you create a bowl with two gems, and bunny hopping is over.

[Post New]by goodoodreaming on Apr 16, 11 9:07 PM
Elemere, you may be a red hot games player, but not everyone else is, I paid for the game, therefore I would like a game I can actually play.
No one complained about the major game, many have complained about Zem, bully for you, you achieved, but others are entitled to their opinion.
Pity you didn't come in sooner and give a few hints when people where asking about Zem.
Seems we all like it, but would like some hints and tips and to be able to disable the timer for some practice runs.

Mowglikat
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Mowglikat on Apr 25, 11 1:04 AM
I love Zem, and I hate most M3 games. It's kind of like a cross between a Match 3 and Mancala, and that kind of elevates the strategy for me.

The way I seem to be improving my scores is A) matching as many DOLPHINS as I can during the imperial magic phase...they seem to be worth alot more than regular gems, but I could be wrong...it goes so fast! and setting up the empty bowls to separate 1's and groups of 2's by empty slots, so I can just click on the 1 and bump it around the wheel until it bumps into the two. It's much faster than trying to plan it out by counting.

But that's all the strategy I've worked out so far...I've only been playing for about a half hour. I came to the forums to check out what you guys have for strategy. :-)

Go to: