DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:DD for 2Apr2011 - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 2, 11 12:38 AM
Hi there,
Just popped in as DLing the latest TGT.
As a DD it is probably good value but at least a couple of years old.
I can't recall any particular details at this point apart from it was a pretty straight H0 game, but I'm sure someone else will.
Cheers

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Apr 2, 11 12:53 AM
I'm so excited about this game. I have a folder of games I'm waiting to buy. This folder is quit large. I want all the games. lol And I've been waiting for this one. I'm so happy it's here. It's a great game. I really like the game play in this one. It's very challenging. Widescreen,adjustable sounds,music. The hint button isn't fast or slow, I'd say it's medium. The items can be difficult to find, but the hint helps alot. I highly recommend trying this game for sure. It's a great deal at DD prices. I'd say it's a steal at DD prices.

I'd rate this: PIGLET

FINE SWINE:
Great game. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.

‘ ‘
(o)

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vezzettj on Apr 2, 11 1:24 AM
Just completed the first treasure of 5 in my trial hour... which makes this game longer than most of our recent offerings.

Each location has an item list with some "blue" items to uncover (dusting, breaking, burning) and when these items are visible, they will no longer be "blue" (most of our newer games don't even get that right! lol). There is also a "geocache" item that is described by a riddle. When found, these items go into a special room in your museum for later viewing. They do not tell you, but the riddle can be located in the upper right of your screen and can be toggled on or off. But wait, just because you finished a location does not mean you are done! If you go back (i.e. forgot to find the geocache item) you get a whole new list of objects to find. You need to find BOTH object lists and the Geocache item to "completely" finish a location... but you can advance the story with only the first list completed.

Some items you find go into "inventory" to be used in that scene, sometimes to find a "blue" item. And as you progress through the first treasure, some tools are permantly added to your "tool" list. This is where the dusting (with brush), breaking (with hammer), and burning (with lighter) comes from...

Graphics are ... 3 yrs old... but identifiable. If you need a hint, you use the scanner tool and it is a "hot vs. cold" method where the light gets greener as you get closer to the item. Even if you still don't see the item (sunglasses at the bridge), it will "collect" the item for you. I didn't notice the reset time on the scanner... The scanner can ONLY be used for non-"blue" items on your list (i.e. not the geocache item). If you move your cursor over the screen, it will change when you can interact with the scene... and if you click there, Susan will tell you what to do "I think I can break that", or "I need a key".

All in all, this looks like a great deal for $2.99 and I'm off to buy. Hope you all enjoy!

Edited on 04/02/2011 at 1:27:54 AM PST

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Apr 2, 11 7:11 AM
Thanks for that great review. Sounds like a game that's worth my $2.99!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Apr 2, 11 7:23 AM
Sounds too good to pass up, I just bought it sight unseen. Thanks for the great write-up.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Apr 2, 11 7:27 AM
Thank you all for the great reviews.
I loved the preview video so its a buy for me just on that alone!

Sooooooo nice to have DDs I want!

[Post New]by gamey101 on Apr 2, 11 8:46 AM
I also bought sight unseen, but for the 2nd time I do not get the whole screen on the full screen mode and the windowed mode is to small. I have Windows 7 , anyone have any remedies for this?

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Apr 2, 11 9:00 AM
I played thru the demo. This one to me is take it or leave it, and I'm going to pass on it.

I didn't care for the music, although the music quality seems fine. For me, it seems too dark and too hard to find items without using the hint/detector gadget. And I have no idea what the geocache items are about. Decent voice acting. For me, the scenes were not particularly interesting or beautiful.

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Apr 2, 11 10:08 AM
This is part of the Escape the Museum series. I own the first and hope that Escape the Museum 2 eventually comes up as a DD, though I would consider it for a credit. The graphics could be better defined - warning - there are small and well camouflaged items, but not impossible to find without having to use a hint. Still I found it fun and enjoyable. I had played the demo a long time ago on a different computer, so it didn't take me long to recognize. I didn't bother playing more than 10 minutes - because I am more than happy to pick it up as a DD.

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Noralg on Apr 2, 11 11:42 AM
If the graphics had been just a little bit sharper, this would be a great game. As it is, many of the objects are just too hard to find, some nearly invisible. That being said, the tools, hint system and character guidance are all first class. It also appears to be plenty long enough to provide hours of HOG fun.

MoDreams
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,179 Posts

[Post New]by MoDreams on Apr 2, 11 12:03 PM
Hi vezzettj

Thanks for the excellent review of this game!

I also noted on the game page it says "1st Runner-Up Best Hidden Object Game of 2008!"

I've been working on getting all the previous years Best Games of the Year and haven't had a dud yet among them. So based on that and the great review I am downloading this bargain!

~~~MO~~~

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Apr 2, 11 2:31 PM
Well I was going to pick this one seeing as it's DD but... not sure now. Played 9 minutes of the demo and the graphics are ok but they didn't use vector so when the gifs zoom in during the cut scenes as they often do the graphics appear pixelated along the edges. Annoying but it's an older games so that wasn't enough to not buy. BUT I get into the first scene and it's pretty easy... a little challenge but nothing major... until BAM no hints. Sure there's the little geiger counter tool but it only works on the hidden objects in plain site... you know... the ones we DON'T need help with. If you need help with finding one of the blue items, the ones that require you to do something, you have to exit out to a walkthru. So I'm undecided.

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Apr 2, 11 8:20 PM
Well, this is a no buy for me. I thought I had gotten better at playing hidden object/adventure games, but this game is totally beyond me. I stumbled around until I'd accidentally find something or figure it out, but it was really hit or miss. Instead of having fun, I was just getting frustrated. I have lots of other games waiting to be played or replayed that I can figure out with little or no help from a walkthru. With this game I'd need to be referring to a walkthru practically every step of the way, and what fun is that? For those who like it--enjoy!

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Apr 2, 11 11:10 PM
Whoohooo, Distructo Jane is back! I enjoyed the first one, even though the breaking and random acts of mayhem made me cringe, at least it was an emergency. Also, it was more broken up with contact with her daughter and outside rescuers, which made her seem more human.

As a DD, buy it if you like straight search games. Not too much to the puzzles. The first game I had to constantly check the walkthrough, this one not once. I did use the object finder, aka hint button, several times, occasionally because I was getting bored.

Really, what stands out most for me was Janes comments and my own reactions. Burn! Break! Let's bash apart these priceless antiques for something you can easily buy at the Dollar Store! OK, maybe they don't have Dollar Stores in Paris. But why did I break a bowl I could reach into? Why was I burning bushes in a JUNGLE FULL OF DYNAMITE? And due to my reaction to living things having more than 8 legs, I wanted to pick up the handy lizard when it mentioned millepede, not find the darn thing! And the scarab beetle scene, well, ewwee. Hope that's not a spoiler.

I guess this is an old game. Believe what the other reviewers said about the graphics, although it wasn't too much of a problem on my system. Some items were really obscure, but by that time I had no problem grabbing the object finder. I might have tried harder if it had looked like a hint button, but by the third challenge, I doubt it.It's nice you can go back and search more, or find that little extra goody if you missed it the first time. I played for quite awhile before realizing there were clues if you clicked the little button at the top. They made it a lot more fun looking, and much easier too.

Not sure it would be worth 6.99 for me, because the destruction and stupidity bug me. And speaking of bugs, this game is not for the bug phobic. And while I got so it was fun bashing crates, and those obviously fake antique jars, it got old after awhile. I was relived when I was underwater, at least, I thought, I won't have to burn anything. Then I saw "stick insect" on the list. OMG! Sticky and Iggy (my 8 year old daughter's pets) were master of disguise, but not sea going...maybe you COULD burn things under water in this game! Not to worry, stick insects are easier to find when they are aquatic.

Go to: