bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Wild West Story: The Beginning

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Apr 4, 11 12:11 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Wild West Story: The Beginning? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Wild West Story: The Beginning

[Post New]by 9elmroad on Apr 4, 11 12:29 AM
Have just played for 15 mins, it's very clear, quite dazzling in fact. Not your usual match 3, you have to clear the path for the cowgirl to get to the store. Haven't got round to the hidden objects yet but am gathering gold very fast! Love the chubby cheeked little indian!!

fluffyalso
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by fluffyalso on Apr 4, 11 1:12 AM
Great graphics and really fast action. Don't understand the purpose of the building stuff but at least it doesn't interfere with the match 3 game play. The few hidden object games are easy and also fast. So if you like this type of game it's a good one. Don't know how long it is. Nice for something diferent.

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Apr 4, 11 1:21 AM
I played the demo all the way through and enjoyed it although not enough to pay full price. It's a nice combination of match 3 and hidden object that you can play relaxed or timed. As of now it is on the top of my list for my next credit, or if something else comes along that I like better it would definitely be considered to fill a punch card or as a dd.

havasulady
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by havasulady on Apr 4, 11 1:23 AM
Most likely preferred by pre-teens. Childish, but well done.
Very hard to watch game reset, hard on the eyes and a bit dizzy.
Hated the sound effects. Along the lines of Alladin, which I really enjoyed.
This one, not so much.
For those that like it..............ENJOY!!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Apr 4, 11 1:52 AM
I played the hour demo in relaxed mode. (The first thing I did was adjust the sound - upped the music volume and lowered the game sound volume a bit - just fine then.) All the levels so far, including the hidden object ones, have been very short and easy, if you don't mind using a hint every now and again to find objects.

Around level 10 some board features begin to be introduced, like boxes to break, chained pieces (- roped in this case), iced pieces (static, not advancing, ice), and a couple short bottleneck type areas. So it shows promise, but hard to know after just an hour if this is one more "mindless M3 game" or offers some challenge eventually, or any unique gameplay features.

The game ran perfectly for me, with no load time issues between scenes like Farmscapes has. From the gameplay video, I was concerned there might be too many exploding things going on on the gameboards, but I did not feel that when playing. My eyes are as ok with this game as with Tibet Quest and Lamp of Aladdin, it seems like, although the way the tiles are marked takes some getting used to.

I might buy this with one of the punchcard credits I earned last month, once I get them.

Edited on 04/04/2011 at 1:55:29 AM PST

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 4, 11 2:12 AM
Wild West Story: The Beginning has all the things I look for in a Match 3 - Casual (untimed) Mode, enjoyable graphics, some goal to work towards (rebuilding the town) and acceptable sounds/music. IMO the HidOb stuff is a bonus as is the "clear the path" structure which I always like. I'm frustrated that we do not yet have our Punch Card codes or I'd be buying it now, since I was sucked into the Sweepstakes thing last month and have far too many on the way to justify purchase out right.

I enjoy listening to an audio book and playing match 3s and this one will definitely fit the bill once those codes come in.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 4, 11 2:41 AM
I quite liked this game but my biggest problem with it was that I found the size of the objects you were matching a bit too large for the squares as it made the path that you needed to follow to be a bit difficult to see. Also the other squares that had to be cleared to gain 100% were not quickly spotted for the same reason, mind you I missed several of those thanks to that Coyote Cub kid being "unhelpful" grrrr and clearing squares on the road so the screen moved on before I had finished clearing the area I was working on.

Cherb

ETA ... Yes the "brat with the bow" is definitely a hindrance in getting 100% but, if you keep an eye on the circle of light around him, you will see that if you make matches where you don't clear one of the required squares that circular light moves backwards instead of filling up and it is only when full that he fires the bow.

The way I ended up working is that I didn't touch the road until I had cleared all the other required squares that I could see, particularly those to the left of the screen which would vanish out of reach when Bella advanced along the road and ...

I did manage to actually get one flawless round ...

and then the demo ran out

so I might just use one of my free credits to buy this just to see if I can get more.

NB ... I have been playing the relaxed version.

Edited on 04/04/2011 at 11:43:59 AM PST

ajuma
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,142 Posts

[Post New]by ajuma on Apr 4, 11 3:23 AM
Cherb! Thanks for the bit about getting the 100% cleared! I've only played 3 rounds of the M3 so far and couldn't figure out why I didn't get 100% cleared!

So, in other words, the "bonus" that you get with the Indian is actually a "drawback"????

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by yasure on Apr 4, 11 3:27 AM
I played for 45 minutes. I wanted to like this game, but it's just "not right". Something about it, just seemed wrong to me. I got the girl to her star and never got 100% and the money you get, is so low. Sorry, but not a game for me and I like games that aare match3 and hidden objects together.

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Apr 4, 11 3:31 AM
The only negative so far with the game, as far as I can see, is that brat with the bow. I'm sitting patiently building up a formation of pieces to clear something and he'll suddenly let fly and randomly smash things ... it has made for some interesting and educational words

Apart from the brat ... the game is an enjoyable match 3 ... I'm playing relaxed mode as always. The H0 scenes are rather cartoony but actually clear enough to find the items quickly. I did enjoy the FROG one ... as I always do ... and using the items when complete was a nice touch.

I'm waiting for my credit email to arrive and then will buy this one. I'd have bought it already but I know those codes will be here soon

[Post New]by daniabraham on Apr 4, 11 5:41 AM
I stopped playing after 15mins, very basic, more suited to children / teens. Was not as enjoyable as I thought.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Apr 4, 11 6:14 AM
Poodlebear wrote:Wild West Story: The Beginning has all the things I look for in a Match 3 - Casual (untimed) Mode, enjoyable graphics, some goal to work towards (rebuilding the town) and acceptable sounds/music. IMO the HidOb stuff is a bonus as is the "clear the path" structure which I always like. I'm frustrated that we do not yet have our Punch Card codes or I'd be buying it now, since I was sucked into the Sweepstakes thing last month and have far too many on the way to justify purchase out right.
I enjoy listening to an audio book and playing match 3s and this one will definitely fit the bill once those codes come in.

WELCOME BACK, Poodlebear; have missed reading your reviews.

MEnr56

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on Apr 4, 11 6:15 AM
Played the demo for 30 minutes, I don't usually play M3 games but wanted to try one, so this was a different type of game for me. The graphics are bright and cheerful, and there is a relaxed mode. I was able to figure out what to do (goals of the game and M3 play) from the instructions. However, it seemed to take forever to earn enough "gold" to start rebuilding the town! Oh well, will put this on my Maybe for the Future list.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Apr 4, 11 6:20 AM
Staril wrote:The only negative so far with the game, as far as I can see, is that brat with the bow. I'm sitting patiently building up a formation of pieces to clear something and he'll suddenly let fly and randomly smash things ... it has made for some interesting and educational words
Apart from the brat ... the game is an enjoyable match 3 ... I'm playing relaxed mode as always. The H0 scenes are rather cartoony but actually clear enough to find the items quickly. I did enjoy the FROG one ... as I always do ... and using the items when complete was a nice touch.
I'm waiting for my credit email to arrive and then will buy this one. I'd have bought it already but I know those codes will be here soon

Educational words, eh? I might know a few of them Thank you for your input and am downloading now; hopefully, I won't need to use any of those "educational words" myself.

MEnr56

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Apr 4, 11 6:20 AM
I played the demo about 38 minutes and I got bored with it. It has allot of good stuff in it but it isn't something I would buy.

txtabby
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by txtabby on Apr 4, 11 6:24 AM
I'm on the fence on this one. I enjoyed playing the first 30 min of the demo but there is not much break up and I don't know if I'll get bored it being so repetitive. I might finish the demo and decide or use one of my credits. I just can't put my finger on it why I didn't enjoy it more it was a good story and the graphics were great, I guess I'll play some more to decide, at least a good m3 came out so enjoy.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Apr 4, 11 6:42 AM
Yes Yes Yes! I am in heaven! This is Cave Quest meets Golden Trails/Rangy Lil'!!!

I am crazy in with Cave Quest (praying the Developers don't really change the sequel by taking out all monsters/battle boards as they said they are) and have gone through soooo many M3s looking for a game like it! Cuz sadly there were none! I hope this is a trend and the new style of M3's because its sooooooooo fun.

I love that this game also has untimed option, path boards, chains, ice, items, H0 scenes, story etc etc. I was just taking about CQ yesterday.. then BAM.. We get this gem. Not childish to me.. not as good as CQ mind you but just as fun!

If you like M3s with adventure and HOGs you will love this! Again today I hope we see a lot of constructive reviews, no "boring sucks lame" posts please. I think games like this need to be molded a tiny bit, offer hard/easy modes and I would love to see more battle boards to "shoot down" the big guys! They definitely need supportive helpful feedback if we want to see more like Cave Quest and this game!

5 and 5 for me will be buying soon!

I am changing my rating to 3 1/2 s after playing to level 36 of 100.

ETA Although I still like it, it lacked the town being interactive and I seem to have bought everything I can waaaaaaaay before reaching level 100. I still like this as a nice untimed path M3.. but they could have added so many more things to buy/do and tons more story to this game. Its almost "straight M3" and not near as much to do or see do as Cave Quest has.

Edited on 04/09/2011 at 10:01:41 AM PST

mamacarole629
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by mamacarole629 on Apr 4, 11 6:53 AM
I am really undecided about this one. I like the concept of **** and M3 but this one is lacking something. The path appears to be the same color as the green tile and also the path is hard to see once cleared. What do you clear to get 100%? It can't be the path because the cowgirl (which you can barely see) couldn't move if the path wasn't clear??? Will wait on other reviews.

GrandWeeze
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by GrandWeeze on Apr 4, 11 7:20 AM
MEnr56 wrote:
Poodlebear wrote:.WELCOME BACK, Poodlebear; have missed reading your reviews.

MEnr5

I second that!!

Excited to try this game after reading the reviews (errands to run this morning, so I must wait til later ) It sounds like my kind of match 3 - moving along a path like Tibet, Alladin, and the Hidden Depths series. Plus Hidden Object scenes!
I have a feeling I know wherre my punch card credit is going.

OK, I have totally messed up this quote thing. I'll learn it someday!!

Edited on 04/04/2011 at 7:24:54 AM PST

Go to: