DrRobert
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,807 Posts

Animal welfare...let's be a little more animal friendly!

[Post New]by DrRobert on Apr 5, 11 10:56 PM
I know this is only a game, but with the atrocities inflicted upon helpless animals every day by deranged people, do you think it is wise to have electrical shock as a way to wake up the dog in the game???

C'mon folks, let's show a little restraint here! Can't you make the game enjoyable without giving some neo-Nazi skinhead ideas?

would all thank you for it.

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

Re:Animal welfare...let's be a little more animal friendly!

[Post New]by oct2447 on Apr 17, 11 8:23 AM
I am always searching for games for the kids in my program to play........... we stay away from cartoon characters and lean toward graphics that are more realistic. I had hopes for this one, but obviously (see the Doc's post) this isn't going to happen for the kids..........and I''m not sure I will be playing it either for the same reason....

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Apr 17, 11 3:56 PM
completely agree. Waking a dog with an electric shock is just sick.

Kids play this game, what if some idiot thinks it would be a good idea to do it. I was shocked when I came across that.

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

[Post New]by oct2447 on Apr 17, 11 10:23 PM
I popped into another thread that went along with this topic...........and at the risk of prolonging the discussion (which seemed ever circular) I would like to add another perspective. Many people cited examples such as Coyote and Roadrunner and other cartoons, the games where people are hurt, kidnapped, murdered, etc. and belabored the fact that this is just a game...........
After thinking about that for a while, I decided that (for me anyway) the difference is that in these other examples you can watch......and JUDGE what another character does. In this particular game, it is the PLAYER that is doing the deed, in fact MUST do the deed to continue in the game.
Somehow Coyote getting smacked by Roadrunner or shooting at the "bad guys" does not equal pushing me into acting out abuse to an animal. We all have our stories and our upbringing and our experiences, and those are what influence our perspectives and opinions.

nocturnadawn
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by nocturnadawn on Jul 5, 11 12:55 AM
I have to put in my two cents here. Let it be said that I am against animal cruelty and help a shelter with abused and neglected animals. It is true that there are some very sick people in the world. That said though...seeing something like that in a game does not register to me as something horrible. You have to realize that is just a game no matter how realistic it seems at the time. Your not hurting a dog in any way. How many of us have played the game battleship. Do we think it would be funny to watch a real ship be destroyed by missiles? Of course not! But we play because it is fun and we know there is no real harm being done.
As for kids playing it and seeing that and wanting to mimick it...If your kids are old enough to play this game, then they had better be old enough to know not to hurt an animal. They see plenty worse stuff than this on TV, the internet, and even at school! I don't care how protective you are as a parent. They have to know wrong from right and I can't see that one little thing in a game is going to trigger some insane streak in the kid!
I am not saying you guys are wrong in feeling bad for animal cruelty, but I think things can be taken too far. These are just games...This is fiction...it's about cursed pirates for heaven sake! Do you think that just because you play this, a pirate is going to swoop in and nab you?

moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Jul 5, 11 2:11 AM
Ohhhh Johnny Deppppppppp

nocturnadawn
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by nocturnadawn on Jul 5, 11 9:35 PM
LOL!!!! You have a valid point..if Johnny Depp wanted to kidnap me, I guess I would not have a problem with it!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jul 6, 11 12:11 AM
Thank you nocturnadawn for being the voice of reason here. I agree with you.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 6, 11 1:19 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:Thank you nocturnadawn for being the voice of reason here. I agree with you.

I second the above.
And I remember a similar thread regarding feeding cartoon mice to cartoon owls in another game when the real thing was happening with eaglets dismembering the same or similar in real life in a webcam post here.
Cheers

stephensol1
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by stephensol1 on Jul 8, 11 9:00 PM
Oh please people, stop being so politically correct. You think a mouse eating a cat will harm you're child's psyche? That's nature, that's life, get over it.

elf07
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by elf07 on Jul 27, 11 11:08 AM
That would have to be some MOUSE. And yes, a mouse eating a cat would harm just about anyone's psyche.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Oct 1, 11 6:00 PM

I have to admit that I was a bit stunned that I would be shocking a dog to complete the level. As an owner of formerly abused Rottweilers (a couple of them severely), this little scenario did NOT set well with me.

Later, you've got a pirate stepping on a cat's tail (at least 5x) to catch 5 black cats that pop out of different areas and that also did not set well with me as I'm also an owner of 17 cats of which 12 of them have been abused (some of them severely) and having to listen to that poor cat howl 5x just REALLY got under my skin.

MEnr56

Go to: