bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Novel

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Apr 11, 11 12:16 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystery Novel? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Rose151
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Novel

[Post New]by Rose151 on Apr 11, 11 1:00 AM
I've played the game for about 30 minutes. Noticing that in another post the graphics seemed to be "fuzzy" I paid particular attention to that aspect of the game. With WIN7, I had no problems at all - the graphics were clear.
It is obvious that the developers' first language isn't English, but I kind of enjoyed trying to figure out what the word meant in relation to the item. For instance SPOILER ALERT----> the "money box" is a piggy bank.
I like this game simply because nobody is missing, kidnapped, lost, or in dire need of salvation. Just a very relaxing way to spend time after work.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Apr 11, 11 1:02 AM
Good morning all & happy Sunday.

i have played 40 mins of this game & I have had my fill.

The story is gruesome enough about a state execution or legalized murder if you like & while the bloke was being electrocuted his chair caught fire, but TBH, so far into the game it is irrelevent.

You play a camp looking guy who ages 30 years after fixing a medallion worn my the mayor before he was killed by the guy they fry.

Although even on full screen my game is boxed between large blacked areas, but the graphics are clear & the objects easy to find, even if they have obscure names. (A Jimmy bar & not a crow bar)

The premise of the game is promising & I don't want to diss it, but some aspects are just too stupid and that is why my attention went.

For example, there is a tree (branch size) across the road where you need to go but you have to find a saw first instead of just stepping over it.

You have a crow bar (Jimmy bar) in your possession & yet you can not open a rotting chest or dilapidated door with it.

YOu just walk into a police station , break open a locked cupboard & nick evidence, just like that.

I am all for gaming & having fun, I love using logic & often fail, but I found this game assumed I was an almighty moron, it might be right, but it was too off puting.

I hope many fishes enjoy this as it does have good points, just not for me.

Jojo

Edited on 04/11/2011 at 1:05:52 AM PST

tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by tillybaby on Apr 11, 11 1:11 AM
In the U.K. we call a money box a piggy bank

fstar
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by fstar on Apr 11, 11 1:28 AM
SPARKLES, SPARKLES & more SPARKLES. Half the time I had no idea why there were sparkles. If they just want you to look at something they used sparkles. In one room there were 5 or 6 different areas at one time all sparkled. And I'm not even sure there was a HnO scene there.
The game was all over the place.
I guess the developers of this game never checked out these forums to see how quite a few people here feel about SPARKLES.

BP532
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by BP532 on Apr 11, 11 1:29 AM
Good morning fishies! This is a fairly straight forward game - bits of HOG, bits of problem solving. Nothing too difficult. The graphics are clear, the progress fairly intuitive. I have to say, when a Walkthrough is not available, it is a pretty strong clue the game is not upper eschelon. That is the case here. For US players, there is some vocab that requires translation (or poking around on pictured items) If you have a freebie to burn it might be worth a try - however without the walkthrough there is no way to know how long this one is. For me, it is a no buy. Just not compelling in any way.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Apr 11, 11 1:32 AM
I honestly don't know what to think about this one. It's a gloomy, wet morning here, and the game begins with the same kind of gloominess--black-and-white still scenes setting up the storyline. Our "hero," a guy for a change, has been hired as a crime reporter and is apparently the only person on the planet who can solve a possible murder mystery! I thought his likeness paid homage to Patrick Swayze.

The intro explains the plot pretty well, but it reminded me of old-style, B & W newspaper comic strip art. The Options menu is minimal--music, sound, full-screen (game cursor only). I found the graphics to be decently crisp and colorful. There's no voice acting, but the dialogue, while occasionally losing something in the translation, fits the story OK. No choice of "Casual" or "Challenge" modes, and yes, there are "sparklies." There's inventory interaction, which I guess makes this game an IHOG. Some of the items will test your "Huh?" cap, as Jojo noted. One piece of the plot that really escaped my logic--how does a newly-hired reporter (editor?) warrant his own special laboratory at a newspaper office? Must have been hired as an "apprentice" by Donald Trump!

Some aspects are and some are . Might make a good DD or a Punchcard code candidate. And apparently, it's not "worthy" of a walkthrough! (Why are there TWO threads for the same subject, both started by Mods?)

Edited on 04/11/2011 at 1:36:02 AM PST

2dogsx2
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by 2dogsx2 on Apr 11, 11 1:38 AM
played 30 mins , and am quiet liking it, its an adventure hog with clear grafics, none hidden on black walls! the hint tells you if there is nothing to do in an area yeah! although in **** scenes the hint does take nearly 2 mins, but items can be found
i have never been asked to find a besum or a samovar, but this just adds to the fun, i suppose, got to learn something! this game is easy to navigate, no hair pulling! anyway im going back to play the other 30 mins as it left me wanting to know more
cheers all

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Apr 11, 11 2:03 AM
Interesting story line that has no archeology digs or grandfathers, brothers or anybody else missing. Sort of a paranormal murder mystery.

There are hidden object jumble scenes and inventory objects to gather and use but no other people are encountered. A seemingly deserted city...no explanation.

Could have been alot better with more production effort. Too bad...

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 11, 11 2:08 AM
What happened to the right sidebar on the game promo page that tells (or gives a hint) what genre it is? Is it just me, the past week or so it wasn't there like on soft release Vesuvia, no Match 3 list on the side. Maybe BF is tired of us arguing which is what type game, misidentifying or cross overs. Some with no videos. Cost cutting?

I'll be trying this one out just because someone said widescreen, although most the time I get the black bars anyway on my laptop, this one I could run on my old clunker with bigger screen. These types of games probably do well off the shelf, in bargain bins but no free demo, no idea how long, no walkthrough or tech help, Final Sale. So I won't complain I get to try it free, may be something for me in it which I doubt, but a free hour of gaming

No, I doubt most devs read and study our comments or do surveys. But, if this one tunes in, they can get some critiques, part of the creative process if they want to catch up with the seasoned pros who probably sell most right here. Meantime, I'm going to browse through these free bins looking for sleepers. I've seen cults form around "tacky" just for the laughs.

Edit to make a sentence make sense, or does it? Maybe more sense than most games IMO.

Edited on 04/11/2011 at 2:13:01 AM PST

jeffory
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by jeffory on Apr 11, 11 2:17 AM
You know there are some people who like the sparkles instead of wandering all over the place and having to click on everything in site to know what to do next, if you do not like the sparkles that is fine but quit griping about them because a lot of us that are not that great at these games (and I presume the ones who hate sparkles are geniuses) like to have some idea of what to do next, have been reading about the hate of the sparkles for weeks now and just had to finally say something!!!!!!!!!!

clutchola
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by clutchola on Apr 11, 11 2:22 AM
Yes, I hate having the genre missing! It simply must be an oversight because it makes no sense to omit this info. It is actually the first thing I look for!

As for this game, I really like it! It does not overwhelm with ****'s, but there is still enough and the interaction is pretty easy, but that is good when you want to relax. I like that the objects are easy to see.

It would be a definite buy if I could see that it is long enough, but without a walkthrough I just won't take a chance. In case anyone buys it and finishes it please post how long it took you to play. Thank you ahead of time!

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by yasure on Apr 11, 11 2:24 AM
I really needed a good game today. . Yesterdays game was no good and now today. Oh well, it's suppose to be about 85 degrees today and sunny. Guess I'll get the bike out and ride while I get the chance.

clutchola
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by clutchola on Apr 11, 11 2:24 AM
You know what, Jeffory? I sort of consider myself a genius and I like the sparkles, too!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Apr 11, 11 2:33 AM
I like this game. I think the graphics are great. The story is scary to me so far. I love the wide screen,layout of the game,music,story. Overall it's a great game. I think alot of people will be missing out if you don't try this one. At least try it and see for yourself. I'll be getting this one for sure.

I'd rate this: PIGLET

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog. For true lover's of these types of games

‘ ‘
(o)

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Apr 11, 11 2:33 AM
My good old crowbar became a jimmybar, and while looking for a petty cash box (orth ?) it turned out to be a piggy bank... Never mind. Tried to step over the tree but, obviously, wasn't allowed even though I could still manage it despite my old age, so I didn't bother to look for a saw and came here. Not a bad game, just not worth spending money or a credit on it. May be as a DD on a rainy day.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 11, 11 2:43 AM
I'm a Sparklets fan myself. And I like being told there is nothing more to do here, then go to next room where it says in stars "Over here, dummy " I play to relax mostly, if I really appreciate wonderful graphics and/or some humor in dialogue, or cleverly placed objects to gaze around for in a trance It's a nice passtime for me. I'm educated, pretty bright in what I do best, but I don't know how many games i've bought that I wished the end would come and I can finish them and go on to another new one. I don't care to waste hours wandering lost in circles cuz I happened to not click on every pixel and missed an object. THAT is what makes a game feel longer. And with health issues, I just can't sit hours and hours to "play" a game just to see how smart I am. Then resuming night after night I've even forgotten the story by that time and tired clicking hand.

I suspect many avid gamers have graduated out of what is available in casual games, expecting more and getting bored with the mainstream that us average players still can enjoy, at least at these prices! That's my 1.5 cents

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Apr 11, 11 2:46 AM
I am also on the fence about this one. First, I do not find the graphics bad, matter of fact I find the **** scenes very easy to spot objects, maybe too easy.
The game does fill my whole screen which since I got a new system with W7 it has not done.
Some of the item names are culturally specific not only counties, but in the US by state or north, south etc.

I do have a complaint though that when you click on something and the dialog goes to fast you missed what is said and there is not record of what is happening. I find that to be really annoying, for instance why did I go to the water again!

I do not mind the sparkles though.

But, either way I have started getting caught up into the story, but my last question is how long is this game?

So far i give it a 3.5 out of 5, but need to see a WT

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Apr 11, 11 3:16 AM
I enjoyed the demo - crystal clear graphics/nice scenery. I am also on the fence. I find the game very strange. I'm sure I didn't finish all I had to do underground but can't get back there. The jimmy bar was later referred to as a crowbar. I don't think it's worth a credit. I'll probably go for it when it's a DD.

[Post New]by outhval on Apr 11, 11 3:37 AM
jeffory wrote:You know there are some people who like the sparkles instead of wandering all over the place and having to click on everything in site to know what to do next, if you do not like the sparkles that is fine but quit griping about them because a lot of us that are not that great at these games (and I presume the ones who hate sparkles are geniuses) like to have some idea of what to do next, have been reading about the hate of the sparkles for weeks now and just had to finally say something!!!!!!!!!!

Well said Jeffory. I am lost without the sparkles and hope the devs keep putting them in, otherwise I won't be able to play these games and just hate wandering around just clicking aimlessly not knowing where to go next. So hope they at least keep them in for Casual Mode and let the "geniuses" have none in Advanced Mode.

Go to: