Boomer47
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

SPOILER Warning for Animal Activists

[Post New]by Boomer47 on Apr 11, 11 7:15 AM

This is a definite spoiler but I notice many object to animals in games being mistreated. The following could be viewed as such.

In this game (highlight to read):

You will be asked to set a rat on fire to get him to move out of the way so you can enter a room.

I

Islanderhh99
Manatee
Manatee
3,924 Posts

Re:SPOILER Warning for Animal Activists

[Post New]by Islanderhh99 on Apr 11, 11 7:19 AM
I just don't understand by devs have to include something like this. Granted a lot of people don't like rats, but sheesh, there are other ways to get rid of them.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Apr 11, 11 7:28 AM
I love animals as much as the next person, but we have a option to read the form before we play a game that bothers people,,The games is just a fantsey..Happy Gaming..

nwr1948x
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
15,360 Posts

SPOILER Warning for Animal Activists

[Post New]by nwr1948x on Apr 11, 11 7:34 AM
Boomer47 wrote:
This is a definite spoiler but I notice many object to animals in games being mistreated. The following could be viewed as such.

In this game (highlight to read):

You will be asked to set a rat on fire to get him to move out of the way so you can enter a room.

I[/quote

Thanks Boomer,wasn't going to buy the game,but will now not even finish the trial.
Don't count myself as an "activist" but I do CARE.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Apr 11, 11 7:38 AM
Islanderhh99 wrote:I just don't understand by devs have to include something like this. Granted a lot of people don't like rats, but sheesh, there are other ways to get rid of them.
I agee with you. There are other ways.

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Apr 11, 11 8:42 AM
Thanks for the heads-up - I appreciate it.
It's disgusting and I wouldn't take the game even if they paid me.

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Apr 11, 11 9:01 AM
Why do you have to be an animal activist to object to cruelty to animals? I don't understand? I'm just an ordinary senior citizen who wouldn't go on protest marches or anything like that but i deplore cruelty to animals in any shape or form.

Anyway, I'm pleased for the heads up. Thanks. I definitely won't be buying this even though I know its a game. Even animals such as rats, spiders, snakes etc, deserve not to be cruelly treated.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 11, 11 10:19 AM
I have just got to this part. The animal is NOT set on fire, the fire scares the rat away!

Boomer47
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Boomer47 on Apr 11, 11 10:54 AM
peglegann wrote:I have just got to this part. The animal is NOT set on fire, the fire scares the rat away!

Wow perhaps we are playing different versions of the same game.

In the game I played in that scene: you pour the fuel all around the rat and he/she is standing in it with their little rat feet directly in the puddles. You don't pour it near them or in front of them, you pour it on/under them. Then you light the fuel. Now if that rat escaped the accelarated flames from the liquid that they had their little self standing in, they are really very lucky. Frankly I hope they did.

It is most certainly only a game and this scene could be seen as really no worse than watching vampires or other ghoulies feast on or kill humans in other games. I only mentioned it to alert those who might find it upsetting.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 11, 11 11:13 AM
Boomer47 wrote:
peglegann wrote:I have just got to this part. The animal is NOT set on fire, the fire scares the rat away!

Wow perhaps we are playing different versions of the same game.

In the game I played in that scene: you pour the fuel all around the rat and he/she is standing in it with their little rat feet directly in the puddles. You don't pour it near them or in front of them, you pour it on/under them. Then you light the fuel. Now if that rat escaped the accelarated flames from the liquid that they had their little self standing in, they are really very lucky. Frankly I hope they did.

It is most certainly only a game and this scene could be seen as really no worse than watching vampires or other ghoulies feast on or kill humans in other games. I only mentioned it to alert those who might find it upsetting.

I agree with your warning. I now have the darn thing running all over the place! It wasn't running before! LOL! Though it has become a lot smaller!ROFL!

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Apr 11, 11 4:07 PM
It's make believe people, you aren't killing a rat, you're killing a drawing of one.Next time you burn newspaper in the fireplace, make sure it isn't the dogs and cats for sale section cause there are pictures of cute little doggys and kittys there.

Nevan
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by Nevan on Apr 11, 11 5:41 PM
I'd rather have rats than cigarettes, cigarette butts and ashtrays in virtually EVERY game.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Apr 11, 11 6:50 PM
We are suppose to be worrying about a rat when Mayor Lambert sacrificed humans. If it came down between a sickly rat or human to which is more important, definitely human.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Apr 11, 11 8:09 PM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:Considering that rats were responsible for millions of deaths (thanks to infected fleas that carried the disease) from various plagues throughout the centuries, I fail to see why even animal activists would object to getting rid of the vile creatures by any means necessary. They're rats, for pete's sake. Had they been feral bunnies, or cats, or alpacas, then I could see the point. But rats? Nasty, nasty things. Much as I love animals, even I can't muster up enough compassion for things that have been responsible for so much death and disease. Sermonette over.

Errrmmmm people give other people diseases all the time... should we set them on fire as well?? Plus you said it yourself... it was the FLEAS that caused the disease.

Anyway...the point was that there are other ways of getting a rat to move out of the way besides torturing it and burning it alive. This game will be a pass for me as well. If enough people say it with then maybe devs will get the idea that a lot of people don't want to "play" by killing animals especially for no reason.

PS: Best never come to my house... or maybe actually you should... pet rats are very snuggly.

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Apr 11, 11 8:17 PM
I have hammies myself, but I like all rodents. Rats are highly intelligent and affectionate as pets. And if they are in your home in a nice habitat, they aren't running around the sewers carrying diseases. Doesn't matter....I hate any type of animal abuse or neglect and I have actually done activist work, but that was years ago when I was much younger.

I appreciate the heads up, because the game doesn't sound like I would want to waste my time.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Apr 11, 11 9:24 PM
sassylassie wrote:We are suppose to be worrying about a rat when Mayor Lambert sacrificed humans. If it came down between a sickly rat or human to which is more important, definitely human.

Oh, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, sassylassie! No one is getting their panties in a bunch over the human sacrifice aspect of this game, but they're worried about a rodent?!??
Murder and mayhem abound in HOGs and everyone seems to know it's fiction.
Whyohwhyohwhy does the subject of even the suggestion of animal abuse in the same game warrent so much attention? It's a puzzlement.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Apr 11, 11 9:29 PM
I would just like to point out, that while I am not a game developer I am pretty safe in saying

No ANIMALS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS GAME!

I am an animal lover...I'm just saying. You or I can choose to buy the game or not, but no animals were hurt...it's a depiction in art...drawings. Even in films they are very careful not to hurt the animals depicted in the stories that are filmed.

Cordia
Flounder
Flounder
2,009 Posts

[Post New]by Cordia on Apr 11, 11 11:20 PM
pungstress wrote:
sassylassie wrote:We are suppose to be worrying about a rat when Mayor Lambert sacrificed humans. If it came down between a sickly rat or human to which is more important, definitely human.

Oh, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, sassylassie! No one is getting their panties in a bunch over the human sacrifice aspect of this game, but they're worried about a rodent?!??
Whyohwhyohwhy does the subject of even the suggestion of animal abuse in the same game warrent so much attention? It's a puzzlement.

I haven't tried this game, but does it make you, the player, a participant in the human sacrifice? If not, what you're saying is apples and oranges. Some people don't like violent games (things like Halo, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto), but I wouldn't tell those people that they should play those games because they're just pixels on a screen, not real people dying.

If I'm understanding this correctly, part of the progression in the game involves the player (spoiler, highlight to read) pouring lighter fluid (or some flammable liquid) underneath a rat and then lighting it on fire. This makes players active participants in something they abhor.

There's an entire questline in World of Warcraft (In Borean Tundra, in which a prisoner is interrogated) that I won't do anymore because I don't want to "play" like that. It makes me uncomfortable. It's just a game, yeah, and I'm well aware of that fact, but luckily for me, there are other options for how to progress. And if I had read anything about the questline before playing it when I did, I would have skipped it without having to learn firsthand, which is the point of this thread to animal-lovers.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 12, 11 6:02 AM
I could understand the furore about the rat if the story was based on reality, if it did in fact really happen. I won't play games that are based on true stories of murder and there have been some of those on BFG.

But this isn't a reality game, you're not being asked to recreate something that actually happened. And far worse things than this have been portrayed in several games; I've seen more death and destruction playing games then I ever would in real life (I hope!).

It's all a matter of personal taste of course and no offence to anyone.

devolyn
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by devolyn on Apr 18, 11 5:53 AM
pungstress wrote:

Seriously!!!! I cannot believe this is even an issue! It amazes me what we will be concerned about. Each to his own! It really is just a game though.

Go to: