bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Brain Training for Dummies

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Apr 13, 11 12:24 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Brain Training for Dummies? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

yasure
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Brain Training for Dummies

[Post New]by yasure on Apr 13, 11 2:40 AM
Are you kidding me?
This is just not right. I have a Nin. DS and this is very bad compare to it.
Maybe my brain does not work in the morning.
Or maybe I'm just to tired, either way:
NO THANK YOU

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Apr 13, 11 2:56 AM
Very simple old-time graphics. Interaction is mostly point and click response time is a little slow.

The main menu has 6 types of games such as Math, Memory, Logic or Shape. Under each type are 5 games to choose from. I thought that meant there would be 30 different games but not so. Some games (maybe all?) appear on more than one list.
I found this deliberately misleading.

The games I played were very simple. Maybe these get harder as you progress, but I saw no difference after 3 levels and was too bored to play further.

This might be a wonderful teaching tool for kids but is not for me.

Happy Gaming.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Apr 13, 11 5:46 AM
JessF wrote:Very simple old-time graphics. Interaction is mostly point and click response time is a little slow.

The main menu has 6 types of games such as Math, Memory, Logic or Shape. Under each type are 5 games to choose from. I thought that meant there would be 30 different games but not so. Some games (maybe all?) appear on more than one list.
I found this deliberately misleading.

The games I played were very simple. Maybe these get harder as you progress, but I saw no difference after 3 levels and was too bored to play further.

This might be a wonderful teaching tool for kids but is not for me.

Happy Gaming.

Thank you so much for letting me know about this "misprint" (I'll just say to be diplomatic, LOL). I was very excited to see a new brain teaser game come out as a soft release because, frankly, there's not too many here at and I do like brain teasers. However, when a games says there's 30 games there should be 30 different individual varied games...not as you have just described so I think I'll not waste my time.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Apr 13, 11 6:27 AM
Hi all.

I did actually buy this as I enjoyed my daughters DS version, but rarely got a look in never mind see the thing LOL.

I was not misled at all. On the very first menu, it is there under game telling you what it is about. There is even a very straight forward diagram showing you how the games are matched. Obviously if you have played a maths & logic game, you are not going to get a logic & maths game, well it seemed logical to me.

Yes it is simple..... to start with, but who wants to fail totally in the first couple of rounds, that is guaranteed to put you off.

As with the DS, you need to play daily. I thought I'd try it whilst drinking my morning tea awaiting for 8am & the TGT.

Admittedly I used a punch credit, but I am glad I did.

Jojo

SilverBranch
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by SilverBranch on Apr 13, 11 6:33 AM
I normally enjoy brain teaser and trainer games, but I found this game rather boring. Tutorials while in play would have made it a little less dull than reading instructions outright before seeing the game boards. The game response time was slightly lagging my speed, so either I'm very smart or the game needs a tune up.

Not a game I'd enjoy playing. Thank goodness for demos.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 13, 11 7:45 AM
I have tried the free trial time, but don`t like this game really. No buy for me

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Apr 13, 11 10:28 AM
I just thought I'd stick up for this a little bit, because I think the comment about being 'misled' has the potential to be much more misleading for potential buyers than the game menu ever could be. (And the follow-up comment seems to have unfortunately compounded the problem, by interpreting the first comment as meaning that it was explicitly claimed that there were 30 games. That claim isn't made in the game and the Bigfish page for it just says there are a "variety" of games.)

There are six categories, and each game tests skills from two separate categories, so that means there are 15 games in all. This is a lot more games than you'd find on the DS equivalent and I think they're more inventive than those as well.

I agree that they start off far too easy. There's easing you in and then there's off-puttingly simple. You don't have to do too many circuits to reach the harder difficulty levels but it would have been nice to have an option to over-ride the mechanism that links the difficulty level to a percentage system and just play at whatever difficulty you'd like.

I'd recommend this for anyone that is looking for something simple to play for maybe five or ten minutes a day. I think it's more inventive than the DS equivalent and certainly a lot more competently put together than the few other similar games I've seen on BigFish.

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Apr 13, 11 3:17 PM
I never intended anyone to read my comment and think BFG said there were 30 games.

It was my assumption and I personally felt mislead. And I did follow up my negative comment with a positive one.

My apologies to those of you who feel I mislead you.

I will go back to lurking and leave the reviews to others.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Apr 13, 11 4:28 PM
JessF wrote:

I will go back to lurking and leave the reviews to others.

Don't do that! I really appreciated your opinion and quickly reading the description it I did think there was 30 games. And the rest of your review was very good.

Somanycrimes also brought up a good technical point re BF claims (as did you as well), which is why it's so good to have a variety of opinions as each poster will take a diiferent slant on a subject.

I think big wolf is better and has the same kind of puzzles in 'gain hints' section and I got it for $3 on the DD and also has more variety of game.

Edited on 04/13/2011 at 4:30:32 PM PST

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Apr 16, 11 2:13 AM
I agree that the instructions were a little boring...and I skipped all of them in the beginning. But it was fun.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Apr 30, 11 8:54 AM
Interesting, but a bit lacking for a computer game. Perhaps on a handheld this is more exciting. I found the games to be rather simple and easy. I tried all the games and found that none of them blew me away.
There are other brainteasers that are more interesting and less limited.

This game is a B-.

derekthedj
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by derekthedj on Jun 21, 11 10:37 PM
This is a lot better than Brain Challenge (which is horrible) but this game is sooooo easy it must be designed for young kids. When am I going to get out of the easy "Difficulty Level 1" questions and move up the skill ladder? Not much of a slog to remember two items or the answer to 3+1.

To help explain the "30 games" problem - there are six different skills the game tests you on such as Spatial, Math, Reasoning, etc. In each of the six skills there are five different challenges for a total of 30 games. A few of the games aren't explained very clearly so you may fail the first couple of times until you figure out what they expect out of you. Most are easy to learn, though.

If the game ever starts progressing up the skill tree it could be fun for a little brain massage. The problem is the instructions, while good about explaining how to play a game, are sparse about progression and there is no indication I'm ever going to see "Difficulty Level 2". How does one progress in this game other than Practice Mode?

Edit 7/13: Finally realized you have to do a "Full Circuit" of 15 tests (about 20 min) for the skill levels to improve. It won't count individual circuits. It's really easy in the beginning so anyone doing the 1-hour trial will probably think it's hohum. Rest assured it gets challenging once you get to later levels. It'll exercise your brain and I'm starting to put a half an hour into it almost every day. Recommended.

Edited on 07/13/2011 at 7:28:50 AM PST

Go to: