bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for The Agency of Anomalies: Mystic Hospital Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Apr 15, 11 12:15 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of The Agency of Anomalies: Mystic Hospital Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Agency of Anomalies: Mystic Hospital Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bella81762 on Apr 15, 11 12:22 AM
yeeaahhh.....its ce thur...errrr friday.......i betad this a while back and enjoyed it a lot, very green hillish, am dl now, hope you all enjoy...funny i woke up at 3 am on the dot (thats what my time is when its 12 at bfg....

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Agency of Anomalies: Mystic Hospital Collector's Edition

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Apr 15, 11 12:29 AM
Played 19 minutes...it is a buy for me. Eerie, creepy, oh yeah, it looks like a good one.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Apr 15, 11 12:30 AM
Well, male fishies may like it - I don't. I don't think either that it has the high quality to be CE. Blurry screens, depressing background (really depressing), and a lot of "human abuse". Most of all, the movement is slooowww (and I have 1.8 Giga CPU).

Not my cup of tea. Bring me ERS "fairy tales" (I drool when playing them!).

[Post New]by adventure777 on Apr 15, 11 12:47 AM
Seems like a buy for me . It looks and feels like Green Halls Sanitarium but in my opinion, it's less disturbing.

Some Spoilers ahead!

The story: In attempt to make the ultimate invincible solder, the bad doc performs experiments on WW1 veterans and as you have expected, everything goes wrong. The military hospital is located above a center of paranormal energies and they are chanelled through each and every subject of the experiment. Our job as detective is to go through the deserted hospital and try to collect the energy of the experiment victims (such as an electric man, live torch-guy, warewolf, ice-man,etc) in a device called Nexus. Nothing that original from the story but seems decently intriguing

The interface: Great, clear graphics, for the fact there are really two modes and the Advanced is without stars, sparkles and fireworks. You can change your cursor, standard options for sound (very good, eerie noises) and effects.

The action:
Everything we expect from a CE so far, many places to explore, large enough inventory, interesting HOG scenes. The HOGs are two types: standard finding items by names in a list and original: list of real objects which must be put in their corresponding places in a scene (like a dart on a darts[b]board). The objects are not so easy to be found but I think they are clearly drawn, so it's just a challenge. As far as the animals are concerned, without some bugs or skulls, this wouldn't be a HOG but don't worry too much - for now there is the ocassional spider crawling very rarely, so nothing disgusting (I have a big phobia also ). We all have different buttons of fear but I think this game is not that disturbing or scary, so you should at least give it a go.

When I know the length, I will advise.

It's medium length for a casual game but the bonus gameplay is well worth it - it's one of the longest bonus chapters I remember and with lots of HOG scenes

Happy gaming and thanks

Edited on 04/15/2011 at 8:14:58 AM PST

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Apr 15, 11 12:51 AM
This game scared me so much and made me so uncomfortable that I had to stop playing. The First World War was nightmarish enough, but add in human experimentation, an evil German doctor and a crumbling hospital in which people have been imprisoned and transformed into monsters--this may be taking place ten years after the First World War, but I'm getting a billion Holocaust and Josef Mengele vibes from this.

I'm sorry, but I can't deal with this. The game itself may be fine...but the atmosphere is just too much for me.

dootney
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by dootney on Apr 15, 11 12:54 AM
Hi fishies, Just my style. Got my nurses uniform ready altho i havent seen any yet. LOL. Did 30 minutes of demo. Its a buy for me. Have a Nice Day all. Thanks Big Fish, thanks for CE Friday. I m gonna savor it.

sandyterryb
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by sandyterryb on Apr 15, 11 12:57 AM
The demo lasted about 40 minutes for me and it`s a defiante buy. I found the graphics to be crisp and very clear. Objects in the hog scenes were of a good size---not too small---nor overly large. I like a good creepy every now and then so this looks to be a good one. Only thing a bit annoying was every once in awhile when leaving one scene to go to the next I`d loose the cursor only to find it in the bottom left of the screen???? It did always show up but had to keep looking for it. I`m guessing this is part of the game so will just have to get used to it doing that.

Rose151
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by Rose151 on Apr 15, 11 1:00 AM
Thanks Adventure777, you presented a wonderful capsule of the game! I played about 30 minutes and will go back to be sure that it will begin where I left off, but this is a buy for me.
The only problem I had was that the cursor provided by the game seemed to be "oily" on my screen; that's the only way I can describe it. Changing to the good old fashioned arrow works just fine.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Apr 15, 11 1:05 AM
Rhysdux wrote:This game scared me so much and made me so uncomfortable that I had to stop playing. The First World War was nightmarish enough, but add in human experimentation, an evil German doctor and a crumbling hospital in which people have been imprisoned and transformed into monsters--this may be taking place ten years after the First World War, but I'm getting a billion Holocaust and Josef Mengele vibes from this.

I'm sorry, but I can't deal with this. The game itself may be fine...but the atmosphere is just too much for me.

i found it more "Island of Dr Moreau" then mengele, , but we all have our opinions, and i respect yours

Ucwatuget
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by Ucwatuget on Apr 15, 11 1:15 AM
I've liked what I've seen so far. I found the objects easy to find. Sometimes I had to really look, but they weren't miniscule or blurry so far for me. I liked the interaction in the HOG scenes wherein I had to perform an action to get the object at times and the scenes in which I had to place the objects appropriately. The adventure portion so far is really interesting and logical. The Creatures are scary and mystifying. The music was allright but not great and so I turned it down. I did not experience any problems with the pointer and the widescreen option didn't seem to do much for me. Glad to have a good game for a suddenly cold weekend.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Apr 15, 11 1:17 AM
Thanks for the good review, Adventure777! This game will either repel or attract: if you liked Green Hills Sanitarium, you will probably like this one, although it's even more eerie. The graphics are not as crisp, but they have a nice "period" sepia tone.

Personally, I don't like all of the inaccurate eliding of historical events (World War I and World War II), but I'm willing to view it all as science fiction since scientists in neither war experimented with paranormal forces--at least not like this.

I've only played about twenty minutes because I need to get to bed, but the game is interesting and intriguing. It also has hidden objects scenes that require you to combine objects, which is always fun!

I look forward to reading the reviews tomorrow night!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 15, 11 1:20 AM
Hello all,
First the options.
Music and sound controls can be turned up or down or off completely.
It has a full screen and wide screen option. The full screen did not work for me as it told me my resolution was wrong and the widescreen did change but only back to what it started with You can choose to use the custom cursor or not. In this game the custom cursor worked ok for me. I do sometimes have to change it, if the game is herky jerky.
All controls were smooth. I chose hard mode, as usual, no sparkles anywhere! Great! The cursor does change of course when you can interact with something.
The H0 scenes were very clear and there are some different objects to find, so far, other than the usual crowbar.
Adventure777 did a nice precise of the game, so that is all from me for now.

tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by tillybaby on Apr 15, 11 1:23 AM
Absolutely brilliant and of course it's already bought, downloaded and I'm off to play now.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 15, 11 1:27 AM
Thanks for the input early risers. I figured from the promo it isn't right for me. Call me a wimp, but I skipped Green Hills too for subject matter. Regardless of the supernatural angle, it hits too close to real history, and childhood memories of WW2. I don't handle that or torture very well, especially playing at night before bed.

Give me an "occult" as some call them anytime, make believe in a fantasy environment, enchantment, potions, crystals, defeating the "evil one", beautiful graphics, fairy tales for fun. I was raised on Cinderella with magical happenings, Wizard of Oz altho the flying monkeys scared me. Leave out the thought of torture, blood, abuse and I'm entertained. I loved Deadtime Stories, the theme was far removed from my experience, and I recently betaed another Voodoo game

Waiting to jump on another RCrusoe Cursed Pirates and Golden Trails, hungry for something funny.

That's my COMMENTS without even hitting Try in case some others are disturbed too. You have company.

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Apr 15, 11 1:30 AM
Good morning fishes

Well, this seems an excellent game & I may well buy as a CE for reasons I'll explain later.

I agree that the graphics are great, the objects tricky due to cleverness rather than obscurity and even on easy mode, the sparkles are not in your face.

The hint is a cool gadget thingy that refills at a reasonable speed & as there is no timer should not be needed too often.

You also have 20 postcards to find along the way.

The story may be a little dark, but there again it is science fiction and not history.

There is no map & this is a notebook job for me so I can remember where things are when I need to go back to them, although the diary keeps track of your progress & offers a "to do" list.

Now for THE STRATEGY GUIDE

Yes it is available during the trial.

I did not read it so I can not say how helpful it can be but for purposes of length, here goes.

Ch 1 = 16 pages
Ch 2 = 20 pages
Ch 3 = 8 pages
Ch 4 = 8 pages
Ch 5 = 9 pages
Ch 6 = 4 pages.

Bonus Chapter = 34 pages !!!!!

So although the game itself may not be as long as the first chapter may make us think, it is a buy for me as the bonus content seems very worth while.

Happy gaming fishes

Jojo

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 15, 11 1:33 AM
puzzledone wrote:Thanks for the input early risers. I figured from the promo it isn't right for me. Call me a wimp, but I skipped Green Hills too for subject matter. Regardless of the supernatural angle, it hits too close to real history, and childhood memories of WW2. I don't handle that or torture very well, especially playing at night before bed.
Give me an "occult" as some call them anytime, make believe in a fantasy environment, enchantment, potions, crystals, defeating the "evil one", beautiful graphics, fairy tales for fun. I was raised on Cinderella with magical happenings, Wizard of Oz altho the flying monkeys scared me. Leave out the thought of torture, blood, abuse and I'm entertained. I loved Deadtime Stories, the theme was far removed from my experience, and I recently betaed another Voodoo game
Waiting to jump on another RCrusoe Cursed Pirates and Golden Trails, hungry for something funny.
That's my COMMENTS without even hitting Try in case some others are disturbed too. You have company.

Fully understand your point of view. All cut scenes can be skipped, the **** scenes are beautifully clear and the game is not as dark and dreary as some may imagine. Just my opinion.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 15, 11 1:44 AM
This game reminded me of Green Halls Sanitorium too and I have just purchased it .

I like the graphics and the fact that, while the hidden objects are clear to see, they are not so easily found and you have to actually look and not just go click click click. The music and sound effects add to the eerie atmosphere of the game .

I also like that there are interactive items in the hidden object scenes and having scenes where you have to put items back into the scenes makes a nice change. The minigames I have come across so far are easy and apparently can all be replayed once the game is complete.

You also earn achievements such as "Eagle Eye" for finding everything in the first H0 scene without using a hint and there are others such as "Pathfinder" and "Minigamer" and there are 20 of the same item to find (I have found 5 in the 50 minutes I played).

When you play a H0 scene in the garage there, in plain view are, at least 2 items that you know you need but when the scene has finished it won't let you get those items and just tells you that:

"Nothing else here looks useful" ...

so Devs here is a pair of glasses just for you.

.......... / /| ........................................................... / /|
......... / / | .......................................................... / / |
........ / / ........................................................... / /
....... / / ..................... ..................................... / /
...... / /____________ ........... ____________/ /
...... | ........................ |______| ...................... |
...... | ........................ |______| ...................... |
...... | ........................ | .......... |....................... |
...... |_____________| .......... |____________|......................

Only teasing , it's a good game .

Cherb

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 15, 11 1:54 AM
Cherb,
I just LOVE the glasses, brilliant! Could you make me some, with jam pot lenses for those games that have teeny tiny objects in? Unlike this game, which as you said it is reasonably easy to see most things.

orijojo
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by orijojo on Apr 15, 11 1:56 AM
I agree with all the positive comments, ie., good graphics, plenty of places to investigate, similarity to Green Hills. But I don't think it is a good as Green Hills, it's too easy, I prefer a challenge, picking up an item in scene one to use in scene 2 isn't a challenge for me and for the hour trial, I found everything just a little too convenient, and the puzzles too obvious.

Maybe it gets harder as the game progresses, if it does can someone let me know as I have finished the entire hour. Otherwise I will wait for the S/E $14.99 is too much to pay for a walk through the old hospital.

Is Orneon a German games developer? I noticed that the cross and star in one of the hidden object scenes were distinctly German, and one of the poster on the wall had a German Salute.

Jo

Go to: