elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Our Worst Fears: Stained Skin

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Apr 17, 11 12:29 AM
Nissiah wrote:It appears that the demand for downloads at the minute of the release of this title may have overloaded the BFG Server!

The gamesite works, but the Try It doesn't!

This may indicacte the popularity of scary HOGS.

Hey Nissiah--just finished d/l-ing the demo ("Try It")--took about 5 minutes--give it another shot! Good luck!

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Our Worst Fears: Stained Skin

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Apr 17, 11 12:33 AM
LOL, I played til the first puzzle and stopped to buy. Looks like it is a bit different and maybe a good one. Will let y'all know what I think later

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 17, 11 12:46 AM
Hi spiritdog,
I too thought "ugh" when this happened, but in the next few seconds help was at hand, so no real emergency about the gun etc.
Maybe the devs could have set up a different scenario for this, but hey, the guy was...
Well, it is a game after all, but I do understand your impression.
Cheers.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 17, 11 12:48 AM
spiritdog51 wrote:I enjoyed the uniqueness of the first puzzle, but when it showed that he had a gun and wanted to end his horrible tattoo pain with it/suicide..........well that ended it for me.
A no finish the trial and a no buy for me.

I understand your reticence but he does not use it and that is the end of the gun. It is a hand holding game in some ways but then the items can be hard to find.

antiquer
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,386 Posts

[Post New]by antiquer on Apr 17, 11 12:49 AM
Have played for 30 minutes. Seems like a different type of game that I might enjoy. It is now 3:45 AM!! so I am going to bed. I will try again in the morning on advanced since in casual there were sparkles everywhere. It was hard to try and find any items without being told exactly where they were. Will let you know. And yes I did about 4 or 5 HOG scenes in the trial plus very different type of puzzles

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 17, 11 12:52 AM
Game has terrible graphics and is very strange. Now, I really like scary games but this one is really morbid and weird. A lot of references to death in this one. Haven't played too long but so far it is hard to find the items for the puzzles. Something about tattoos killing people. How morbid. Not a high quality game like yesterday's CE. It is so hard to even demo these with the quality of the CE games. Not sure if I will even bother with this one. It has possibilities but the quality just gets in the way. Poorly created. Grade on this one C,

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Apr 17, 11 1:07 AM
One strange game. Graphics are decent and music appropriate. Playing format is not the usual fare. I think this is one of those "you really gonna love it, or NO WAY Jose" So far I'm leaning toward Jose. In all fairness though will try again later in day...who knows it might grow on me.

Martyheinz
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,130 Posts

[Post New]by Martyheinz on Apr 17, 11 1:10 AM
Have played 30 minutes and I like it very much. I did start in Easy mode and after I buy, I will enter new profile and play in Hard mode. Quite a bit of hand holding but interesting IMHO. There are Hidden Object scenes and an option within the scene to use GOGGLES where you place the outline of an object over the object in the scene to find something from the list. Novel game play. Not terribly hard but it is nice to e able to switch between modes for a change. Definite buy for me.

[Post New]by farfromthefar on Apr 17, 11 1:17 AM
I tried it and was so impressed with its compelling story. I think the suicidal thoughts were just a way to indicate the intensity, and overwhelming nature of his pain. It is not an indication of his character. I will have to read more reviews but I am wanting to buy this one.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Apr 17, 11 1:23 AM
I agree, kinda. The story line intrigues me, but I have already had to consult the WT three times...not a good sign, as it means it isn't always clear what I need to do. I too looked at the time on the clock, which said 10:10, or 2210 and neither of those worked. The WT said 1025, and I looked everywhere trying to figure out where that number came from. I am not in love with the cursor...big and awkward to me, but it works ok...just seems strange to be so huge. I hope this is one that gets better the more into it you get...right now, I am going to give it up for the night and try again tomorrow. Y'all know me, I love my hogs, but I do feel this is one you are going to really like or you're going to hate it. It isn't as bad as some I have tried to play, and I think I will feel better about it once I have had some rest. Was awakened early by drug thug neighbor wanting to cut my grass...of course I said no, but my dogs were so on edge, I couldn't get back to sleep...so I just stayed up. That was many hours ago. Went shopping, finished Agency of Anomalies, and played Spring Surprise or whatever it is called. Anyway, this game is a bit different, and I will give it more time after I get up, again, lol. By the way, the subject matter doesn't bother me...but then I am an avid mystery, sci fi/fantasy, and political thriller reader. The real world is more threatening, folks. This is just a game.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 17, 11 1:24 AM
Basic Options.
Music and sound volume. Fullscreen on or off. Black bars at the side on my system.
There is a choice of Casual or advanced. I played advance, no sparkles at all.
There appears to be handholding in the way that it tells you what you need as you go along. The trick is trying to find the items
The story is about various tatoos and the way that can affect the death of each person. I do not want to elaborate. There are no gruesome scenes and cutscenes can be skipped. IMO it is not as easy as it first appears

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Apr 17, 11 1:26 AM
regarding all the talk about our "hero's" contemplation of suicide over having tattoo pain on his arm for a month... yes, he pulls out of it, but after living with head pain constantly for several years, i can say that suicide is not an answer anyone should be seeking... neither is having your neurologist tell you to "deal with it" so yes, my feathers got a bit ruffled as well, but i pushed through to what i think might have been the end of chapter one...

the game is a bit clumsy, but has a cool thing going for it... in the hidden object scenes there is a puzzle option where you play match the piece with picture... they give you a snipit and you figure out where it goes in the big pic! i tried it out and it was definitely cool... when you place all your pieces, the scene resolves to the original hidden object scene, but all your things *sparkle* and you just click, click, click and pick them all up... this also works if you hunt around for half the objects and finish the scene with puzzle method... kinda interesting, i thought...

the sound in the game is okay, but given the hour i had it turned down a bit... and as some fishies have posted the graphics are okay, but a little rough... reminded me more of hidden secrets: the nightmare [which i purchased in '08] than anything i've played recently...

although the game DL'ed without a hitch, i may have run into a problem while playing the game... i have completed every scene in the first chapter, but have to do a rubbing with my pencil to get the tattoo image/text in the file folder... well, my pencil doesn't work - must be broke! someone got a sharpener?? i have tried rubbing up and down, side to side, wildly clicking everywhere; i have rubbed the spot, around the spot, the other side of the folder... jeesh!

it will not be a buy for me, as i did not particularly feel any kind of bond at the end of my 48 minutes... but if anyone else encounters an unruly pencil...

ps - we should start a "stained" thread to discuss tattooing... do you have one? how do you feel about them? yada, yada... good times!

Goop_10
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by Goop_10 on Apr 17, 11 1:26 AM
Oh! Love this one, the best game of this week (I don't like the new CE!). I never like HOG game from this developer but this one seems to be amazing

4/5 Stars

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Apr 17, 11 1:37 AM
Close but no cigar. There's a lot to like about this game. The story is compelling although a bit oversimplified. There's a chapter set in India which is refreshingly unusual. Mini games and logic puzzles are nicely done, many are unique, there's a variety of types and they blend well with the story. H0's are junkpile but some care has been taken so that objects make sense.

I prefer adventure elements in my H0's these days and that's where they went wrong. Inventory items work best when you find them first and then hold onto them until you discover/figure out an application. There will be some items with an immediate purpose (like a key) and some obvious applications (a locked door) but it's more interesting when you have to figure out something odd, like a sandbag. A few scenes later, you need to attach it to a hook, which provides weight to a pulley which then opens the door.

This game tells you what item you'll need and then sends you off in search of it. You always know exactly what it does and don't figure it out. Worse, you can not collect the item until you have triggered the application that needs it. So if there is a key laying there, you can not pick it up until you find the specific door. There is constant backtracking to pick up items that you knew you were going to need. it's not just the occasion key or crowbar, there are many items like this.

The puzzles were good enough that I would have over looked this, except the game doesn't adjust for my wide-screen monitor. Everything is stretched out making it blurry and wasting the effect of some decent art. Really too bad because the alternate H0 game (match a random piece of background to the scenes) would have been a fun little twist if the graphics were clear enough.

I would have overlooked either one of these issues but both together means I'll pass.

JLnn
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by JLnn on Apr 17, 11 1:39 AM
although the game DL'ed without a hitch, i may have run into a problem while playing the game... i have completed every scene in the first chapter, but have to do a rubbing with my pencil to get the tattoo image/text in the file folder... well, my pencil doesn't work - must be broke! someone got a sharpener?? i have tried rubbing up and down, side to side, wildly clicking everywhere; i have rubbed the spot, around the spot, the other side of the folder... jeesh!

ember89: Highlight for the answer: I had the same problem, then I discovered that you have to bring the outline of the inkblot from the inventory and place it on the file folder - then use the pencil and the message will appear.

(edited because I forgot to hide the spoiler, oops)

Edited on 04/17/2011 at 1:41:45 AM PST

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Apr 17, 11 1:40 AM
ember89 wrote: <snip>

Possible spoiler:
In your inventory, there is a paper outline of the tattoo, just a pale beige blob. That needs to go into the folder and then you rub it with the pencil.

ravensgone
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by ravensgone on Apr 17, 11 1:45 AM
I think the pain from the tattoo is like a supernatural misery of some sort. I mean there are ghosts and seances involved, so I assumed that when he was thinking of suicide because of the "pain" it wasn't only physical, but that the tattoo somehow seduces one into suicide. Who really knows, lol. Compelling storyline for me, interesting game play, really didn't care for the graphics. Just finished Puppetshow Lost Town SE, (thank goodness no more problems) and the unfocused quality of the game was a little disappointing, but seriously thinking of using a credit to see how the story plays out.

ravensgone
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by ravensgone on Apr 17, 11 1:53 AM
LOL

NICNACNOO78
Guppy
Guppy
189 Posts

[Post New]by NICNACNOO78 on Apr 17, 11 1:56 AM
I think SOME of you are losing touch with reality and SOME need to realise that THIS IS A GAME!!! Your views on suicide?OVERREACTION!!!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Apr 17, 11 2:00 AM
NICNACNOO78 wrote:I think SOME of you are losing touch with reality and SOME need to realise that THIS IS A GAME!!! Your views on suicide?OVERREACTION!!!

You really do need to let everyone have their say please.

ETA And there is no need to shout LOL!

Edited on 04/17/2011 at 2:04:33 AM PST

Go to: