bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Avalon Legends Solitaire

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Apr 19, 11 12:12 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Avalon Legends Solitaire? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Avalon Legends Solitaire

[Post New]by amj0963 on Apr 19, 11 12:39 AM
i just love these types of card games. it is similar in play to fairway solitaire, fairy solitaire and a few others.

you are on a quest to recover some magic runes and along the way you have to accomplish different things to proceed (i didn't want to say what the first 2 were as i didn't want it to be a spoiler).

it looks like it will be a long game as you also collect magic cards and there are 52 in all, i was probably half way through the first quest before i received my first card. there are also wild cards that you can collect and use at any time plus there is a store where you can purchase bonus items.

there are no voice overs, so you do need to read the story which makes it that much more interesting than just a plain old card game. the music so far is not too bad as i hardly knew it was playing lol.

the game play is similar to tripeaks which i just love. the graphics are not bad.

all in all because i love this type of game i am going to give it

4 out of 5

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Apr 19, 11 1:17 AM
Thanks for the great review, amj0963! I don't normally try card games on here, I usually just play hidden object/adventure games, but your review is making me want to give it a try.

cll026497
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by cll026497 on Apr 19, 11 1:41 AM
I usually play hidden object and adventure games but I fell in love with this game during the demo time and could not resist, thank you for a game that I will play over and over again

MoDreams
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,179 Posts

[Post New]by MoDreams on Apr 19, 11 1:51 AM
I am normally the one that lets others play first and I read their reviews, but I have been looking for a good solitaire game and no one had reviewed it yet, so I gave it a whirl. With 21 minutes left to play in the trial, I have decided to buy it.

The trial version is only 50 Mb so the download doesn't take long. The full game is only 58 Mb. The game immediately opened in full screen mode and filled my 20" LCD monitor screen. There is an option for windowed mode. There are controls to control the volume of music and a separate control for sounds.

The graphics are lovely. The music is serene and peaceful. The opening scenes are cartoonish with written dialogue. There are a total of 13 achievements you can attain. I was able to earn 5 of them in the first stage. The achievements range from Neophyte for completing the first stage to Elder Druid for completing all of them, and from Wanderer to Adventurer for finding the Magic Cards (there are 52). And also "nature" achievements for making various combos. Combos are how many cards you play in a row without having to go back to the turn pile (6 or more).

The game play is similar to tri-peaks in that you match cards one up or one down, but the layout is different and varies from hand to hand. After you have achieved at least 1500 points you can purchase power ups from the store that can be used to increase your score. Your first goal is to achieve 3000 points and I did this in the 6th game of the first level. You play 10 hands per level, and I didn't see it say how many levels there are but there must be a lot. By the end of the first stage I had 2/52 magic cards. I had played not quite 40 minutes. There is an option at the beginning to choose to have the playable cards highlighted in the first three hands. This would be a helpful option for those not familiar with tri-peaks game play.

There is also a free play option you can play without trying to complete stages.
All in all I thought this was a well-presented solitaire game that I could enjoy on those times when I have a hefty download or just feel like a game of solitaire. With the free play option it has a lot of replayability. I give it 4/5 for the type of game it is.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Apr 19, 11 2:16 AM
Very nicely detailed review MoDreams . Thanks to all for the comments and reviews. I agree with all the good points, music, game play, etc., and I had no Tech Problems at all. My only con is the bright white,flashy screen between hands. Not a fan of sudden flashy lights ! But I really enjoyed the game and it is a buy for me despite this. I have several of this type of game and have played the faces off some of the cards in Fairy Solitaire and Fairway Solitaire. Even my husband plays that one and he doesn't care for all that many of the games I choose ! So if you like this type of game I believe you will enjoy it. As always the best way is to give it a try and see! Happy Gaming Fishies

fairlaine
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by fairlaine on Apr 19, 11 2:35 AM
Have just bought this game.I love it.Nice and relaxing

James_Kit
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by James_Kit on Apr 19, 11 4:08 AM
Just bought it I love the game. I usually play match-3 games, **** games from time to time, but this game plays so nice that I might add solitaire games to my favorite genres.

The art is very well done, music is very good (only on title screen and story). During play you hear birds, animals, wind, ambient sounds generally. It adds a lot to the game.

There seems to be a lot of levels. 10 hands per level and 20 or more levels gives at least 200 levels.

OK, time to get back to the game

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Apr 19, 11 5:06 AM
Played the demo and the hour flew by. I am normally a HOG/Adventure gamer, I have never played a Solitaire game like this before (I've played Solitaire, but not a game like this that combines Solitaire with a story), and I am hooked. I bought the game and couldn't stop playing. I thought that a game that revolves around Solitaire might get monotonous, but the developers have found ways to make each round vary. There are different card layouts and there are some cards that you can't use until you clear a certain area of cards and/or find a card that frees those cards up for you. For example, you need to find a hammer card to use the cards that have stone on them. I think this is clever. I also like that you have objectives to achieve each round, like scoring a certain amount of points and/or getting a certain number of card combinations in a row, and that adds to the fun of the game. I also like how you can buy items to help you with your card playing by using the points you have earned. I definitely think this game is very well thought out.

It seems as if this game can provide many hours of enjoyment. The length seems very good. You have to find 52 special cards that are mixed in the deck while you play, and I think I only found 5 or 6 of them after a few hours play. I am a novice though, so other people might find them faster than that, but even if the game doesn't last as long for you, I think it has replayability, since if you start over you can try to earn more points than you did before and buy more items to help your playing. I think it's nice that they thought of a story for it too, but you can ignore the story if you choose and just focus on the card playing. As mentioned, I played for a few hours, it didn't even seem that long and it was hard for me to tear myself away from the game. I highly recommend this game, especially to people who want to try something new and fun. Even if you don't think a Solitaire game is for you, you might want to give it a try. I am glad I did.

Edited on 04/19/2011 at 5:14:59 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 19, 11 5:09 AM
This is a very good card games, similar to Fairway Solitaire and Fairie Solitaire. I have enjoyed my trial time and couldn`t stop - I bought it lol

Here is a discription from the developerssite about the game:
- Addictive game play
- 200 levels
- 13 awards to unlock
- 12 power ups

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Apr 19, 11 7:12 AM
I really like it & it's making it hard to stick to may game budget. There have been some excellent, detailed reviews so there's no need for me to add. It's a relaxing game. I will be buying it eventually.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Apr 19, 11 7:27 AM
I love solitaire, but not just one type. Why can't anyone make a game with several different solitaire games? I like a variety. I had to buy one from a site known for it's product of selling playing cards. I would never buy a game with only one type of play.No wonder the game downloads quickly. It's small, simple files. I would get sick of it in one day. BFG used to have one with 100 games but it no longer plays on my newer computer. I'll stick with the game I bought from the site that makes playing cards whose name is a two wheeled mode of simple transportation.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Apr 19, 11 8:19 AM
barbee44 wrote:I love solitaire, but not just one type. Why can't anyone make a game with several different solitaire games? I like a variety. I had to buy one from a site known for it's product of selling playing cards. I would never buy a game with only one type of play.No wonder the game downloads quickly. It's small, simple files. I would get sick of it in one day. BFG used to have one with 100 games but it no longer plays on my newer computer. I'll stick with the game I bought from the site that makes playing cards whose name is a two wheeled mode of simple transportation.

Barbee, there are several games out there with multiple kinds of solitaire. One of the most fun: Hoyle Miami Solitaire. There's also Dream Vacation Solitaire and Heartwild Solitaire.

Give 'em a whirl, see what you think! Hope you have fun.

Avalon Legends is a solid "buy" for me. Beautiful graphics, good storyline, and good powerups. It's very much a Fairway Solitaire type of game, and I like the way they created this game. Good take on an old classic!

barbaralbb
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by barbaralbb on Apr 19, 11 8:24 AM
I agree with barbee44 that I'd like more variety within a Solitare game. Just like there are often several different match formats within Match 3 games. But, that being said, I'm okay with this one. It is what it is.

Other sites do have more games grouped together but those games are much more expensive (usually 19.99) and there are only two or three games within the group that I like - so, for me, it's a toss-up.

This one is nice and I may use one of my credits from last month.

Happy gaming, fishies!

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Apr 19, 11 8:31 AM
This was a nice and relaxing game...The achievements and awards keep you at it. Thank you fishies, your reviews were helpful.

[Post New]by turtleberg on Apr 19, 11 9:09 AM
Thumbs up from me. The only other game like this I own is Fairway Solitaire which got very challenging at the end. It is different enough from FS that I am enjoying it. When you play a magic card you get double points so I'm sure as the game gets more challenging that will be an important strategy. I own a few other solitaire games that are just straight card play. I find they get boring quickly even though there are many many different games to choose from.

txredhead
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by txredhead on Apr 19, 11 2:36 PM
ATTENTION FAIRWAY SOLITAIRE lovers. This is the game you have been waiting for. I love Fairway Solitaire and have not found another solitaire game as challenging. This is it. It is beautiful, challenging and I did not even wait to finish my free trial before I bought it. I have other solitaire games that I enjoy, but I have played Fairway Solitaire over and over again and never tire of it. I think this one will be the same. Although it is not developed by the same developer as Fairway Solitaire, it is very very similiar.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Apr 19, 11 4:28 PM
This is quite an enjoyable game to play. As a fan of Faery Solitaire, Fairway Solitaire, and Heartwild Solitaire... this is a definite purchase for me. It's a game I can sit and play for hours or just now and then to break up my day.

Edited to fix mispelling.

Edited on 05/25/2011 at 3:25:37 PM PST

dewieee
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by dewieee on Apr 19, 11 6:16 PM
Does the flashing of the cards to show you what to do ever stop? I don't like hand holding and I feel like this game does that.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Apr 19, 11 6:17 PM
barbaralbb wrote: I agree with barbee44 that I'd like more variety within a Solitare game. Just like there are often several different match formats within Match 3 games. But, that being said, I'm okay with this one. It is what it is.

Other sites do have more games grouped together but those games are much more expensive (usually 19.99) and there are only two or three games within the group that I like - so, for me, it's a toss-up.

This one is nice and I may use one of my credits from last month.

Happy gaming, fishies!

Not knocking this game... downloading it now. But the site that Barbee44 mentioned has a game with 52 varieties of solitaire for $9.99. Not sure how many in the group you'd like but you might want to check it out since it's half the price of the other ones you've looked at.

Go to: