bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Post any Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden Collector's Edition technical issues here only

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Apr 21, 11 12:20 AM
If you are having problems getting the game to work correctly, we highly recommend going to our Help pages. Using our Help pages is always the quickest way to get technical problems resolved. Here are a few suggested articles that have helped many people correct these types of problems in the past:

Frequent Crashing of Game
Game Compatibility

While we can offer a known solution for technical issues in the forums, or other tech savvy pond residents can swim by with good tips and suggestions, we cannot provide the same excellent level of support provided by our Customer Support team. The forums are not very well suited for the kinds of information gathering and troubleshooting that get these types of issues corrected quickly. If there is a problem with the game, our Support Team can also gather necessary information on what types of computers are being affected by the problem and deliver this information to the developer for a fix.

If you are not able to get a game working properly using our Help pages, please get in touch with our Customer Support team, you can find a link to contact our Support team on the front page of our Help pages.

*Please reserve this thread for tech issues only. If you are seeking game play assistance (i.e. hints and tips), the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the game's Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion.'

petrinov
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

Re:Post any Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden Collector's Edition technical issues here only

[Post New]by petrinov on Apr 21, 11 2:48 AM
I can't seem to select the regular or expert mode at the beginning. This is on the 1 hour trial. I don't get it unless my pc is too old to download correctly. It is a large game download but it should still work. any ideas?

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

Re:Post any Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden Collector's Edition technical issues here only

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 21, 11 3:35 AM
I couldn't either, but then I think after you enter your name it asks you again. Maybe just as Player that is the default.

I couldn't get the full screen to cover my widescreen laptop, it had bars on sides plus top and bottom. I closed the game, changed res back to my 1600x9, it had reset itself to 1000x700 something, went back and pic was bigger but had the bars on the side again. Oh well, I put it in Casual and tutorial once I typed my name, no other glitches except on one puzzle it wasn't responding right but probably me, pressed for time on sample.

mouseclick2
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by mouseclick2 on Apr 21, 11 4:49 AM
Is anyone else experiencing slowness in the game when changing scenes or selecting hidden object or items in "hot spots"? The game started out very responsive at first and then seemed to slow right down as described above. It seems you wait 90 seconds at least after selecting a hidden object that would normally be acknowledged in less than 5 seconds. I even went back for a second attempt to play the game with no improvement. I'm surprised others haven't had similar issues.

[Post New]by mamamadre on Apr 21, 11 4:58 AM
I'm having the same problem the game will play,then just slows down

yve501
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by yve501 on Apr 21, 11 5:11 AM
What system are you using? I downloaded it on my old xp and it was very slow, freezing all the time. So I tried it on my windows7 comp. and it worked fine.

ginny46
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by ginny46 on Apr 21, 11 5:34 AM
Slooooooooooooooow! Game freezes, and there are too any slow hot spots. I thought I would never get out of the scene where the girl gives you a recipe, and a chalice. What a disapointment.
Was waiting for this game. Can't play, means no buy.

nwr1948x
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
15,360 Posts

[Post New]by nwr1948x on Apr 21, 11 5:40 AM
Like most ERS games,which I love......this game sticks and is very slow on my computer.I wasn't going to buy the CE but this excessive slowness bodes ill for the SE,
just have to wait and see.

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Apr 21, 11 6:00 AM
Really liked the game until I got to a part in the demo where my computer completely froze. I had to do a hard reset to get the desktop back.

This computer has Windows XP with SP3, 3GB of RAM, the latest graphics driver and version of Direct X. Nothing resource intensive was running in the background when I tried to play. I can only conclude that this game uses a tremendous amount of RAM to run and/or has some compatibility issues with XP. I'm going to try it out on our Windows 7 pc to see if I encounter the same problems. I have found, however, that if a game simply does not "play well" with a computer, it does no good to wait for a fix or try to tweak things to fix it.

Moesha88
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by Moesha88 on Apr 21, 11 8:43 AM
Way too slow - especially the seaside cliff scene w/ the girl and the chalice. Took at least 4 minutes to get to next screen. Windows XP.

arkaussie
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by arkaussie on Apr 21, 11 9:12 AM
I have windows Xp but the game won't even download. It gets to the saving file and is 100% but just won't finsih and finally shuts down.

joyzebra
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by joyzebra on Apr 21, 11 9:45 AM
ginny46 wrote:Slooooooooooooooow! Game freezes, and there are too any slow hot spots. I thought I would never get out of the scene where the girl gives you a recipe, and a chalice. What a disapointment.
Was waiting for this game. Can't play, means no buy.

I was glad to know I am not the only one with this exact problem! I was beginning to think something was wrong with my computer (Puppetshow crashed my puter this week). I had to end game using ctr alt del. I am using XP. I wish those who played successfully tell us what system they are using.

phisherman
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by phisherman on Apr 21, 11 10:23 AM
I refuse to play another game in slow motion. Hope they get the bugs worked out before the SE comes out.

granny754
Herring
Herring
304 Posts

[Post New]by granny754 on Apr 21, 11 11:35 AM
ERS makes good games but this is the third one in a row that will not open. I have tried all suggestions from CS. CS can't find anything wrong with my computer. I am running Vista with everything up to date.

On the bright side I'm saving 13.99. LOL I would rather spend the money and play the game.

[Post New]by LaraWright on Apr 21, 11 12:00 PM
On the demo version, once I break the rock on the cliff pathway I try to follow the owl on the pathway and the game shuts down. I was enjoying until then.

janetc57
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by janetc57 on Apr 21, 11 12:20 PM
i purchased the game before the slowness set in.....was a bit hasty. please tell me they will fix it............

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Apr 21, 11 12:47 PM
If it's not fixed, BFG will credit your account if your computer cannot handle the game. I have had to do this twice, once with "Secrets of the Dragons Wheel" and with "The Treasures of Mystery Island: The Gates of Fate". With the first one, game play slowed to a crawl and finally froze completely, and with the other, the game would freeze at the same point every time (towards the end of the game). Others had the same problems, patches/fixes were never released. Luckily, BFG is very good about realizing that some games have problems and won't keep your money for a game you cannot play.

johnsharon
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by johnsharon on Apr 21, 11 1:22 PM
Really wanted to play this game! But it took me 27 minutes and I never got out of the house! The pendent game was so slo--------w! The game movies worked well, don't know what has happened to ERS, I bought Puppet Show Last town, during the $5 weekend. Worked great till I got to the town, then all the movies were painstaking slow. This won't be a keeper for me, Shame--- looks like fun!

ros13
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by ros13 on Apr 21, 11 2:17 PM
I decided to take a break from the oh so slow Puppet Show and downloaded Amber Maiden for a bit of light relief. What a silly idea that was-another really slow game! I certainly won't be buying the C.E. and will only buy the S.E. if thhis problem is fixed. The kick I get from solving a puzzle is completely ruined by having watch objects float in suspended animation. In future, if I see that a game is by ERS I think I'll give it a miss as I am fed up seeing wonderful games which I cannot play properly.
I run Windows XP.

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Apr 21, 11 3:02 PM
I haven't encountered any problems with other ERS games and really like them (including this one).

While waiting to see if the issue is addressed, I disabled the custom cursor in options and the game sped up considerably and I didn't have any further issues with freezing. However, I am reluctant to purchase until the issue is addressed. I chatted with BFG customer support and the rep I spoke with said Vista and Windows 7 users had been complaining of the same issues along with game crashes, but since the game is a "TGT", they are waiting to see if more users report difficulties.

Do try disabling the custom cursor, though. Hopefully, you will see improvement afterwards as I did.

Go to: