DD comments and reviews

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

DD comments and reviews

[Post New]by cll1950 on Apr 23, 11 1:14 AM
Can't sleep, so downloading now. Have at it fishies!

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

Re:DD comments and reviews

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Apr 23, 11 1:27 AM
Soooo... there is 5 hints total for the entire game. I am not kidding. If there is a way to replenish them PLEASE inform me because I did not see a way to click on anything in the hidden object scenes to replenish them nor did I read anything in the insructions that told how you could replenish them.

The game was timed! If you clicked too many times it took time off the timer! The timer gave you about 10 to 15 minutes per hidden object scene at first but as the hour demo progress it got more and more stingy with the time leaving you with only about 5 mnutes or so with the time and by then I've used up all my hints because the scenes have widened up to HUGE areas like a BIG train platform and I'm asked to look for tiny objects like dice...yes a little bitty pair of dice on a HUGE train platform...I just might need to use up one of my measly hints for that...but NO I've already USED up the hints by then! LOL! so what do I do? I start clicking randomly all over the freaking place and it starts docking time off the stingy little timer YES the stingy little 5 minutes it's given me to find the tiny dice on the huge train platform so what do I have to do?? START OVER with a brand new list and of course it leaves the ONE freaking object I couldn't find on it! Grrrrrr...

Then the storyline...it was interesting enough...and it's in cartoon style..like the kind you have in your Sunday paper with no voice overs.

So, if you are a glutton for punishment and YOU LOVE timers and looking for tiny objects with hardly any time or hints...GO FOR IT! This game is for you!!! It's only $3!

ETA: I just read someone's review from when the game was originally released here at It seems that the HINTS ARE REFILLABLE by playing the minigames/puzzles which I personally thought were so lame I was skipping them all, LOL! THe puzzles have skip buttons that are filled instantaneously so there is NO WAITING! WOO HOO! That is a plus, but you need to do them if you want your fricking fracking hints refilled. They were strange lock picking puzzles...the kind that show you if you got the color sequence code right...I couldn't figure out where to put the little color capsule down so I just skipped it...(Plus it's 2am here so I am too tired for things like this) and the other puzzles were those irritating (to me) repeat the color sequence thing...Guy! I hate those things...if you like them then this is the game for you! Maybe after I sleep on it I will like this game come daylight!

Edited on 04/23/2011 at 1:37:21 AM PST

fingretart
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by fingretart on Apr 23, 11 1:51 AM
Not sure why you think there are only 5 hints, I finished a screen, did the puzzle at the end and earned another hint...

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vezzettj on Apr 23, 11 1:58 AM
yourshannygirl: I see you found that hints are earned by the mini games. There is also an UNTIMED option for this game... you have to select the "timeless" box from the main menu. Oh and the "little dice" you were looking for... I saw one GIANT die at the top of the screen that was disguised as an overhead light...

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Apr 23, 11 1:59 AM
I have been waiting for this game to be available at dd or cotw price. I'm so happy it's here. It's a vampire theme game. As I have said so many times before, love me some vampires. I have played the full hour and I really like this game. It does have a button on the main screen to turn off the timer. It has widescreen,sound,cartoon like graphics for reading about the charaters. You get 5 hints per each scene. I really like this game. Be sure to at least give it a try.

I'd rate this: PIGLET

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog. For true lover's of these types of games

My "Terms" for Hogs,IHogs,Frogs & Other types of games.

FINE SWINE:
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog. For true lover's of these types of games

PORK BELLY:
Maybe a likable game for some, but not for everyone. It’s just mediocre.

TROTTER:
Pig's foot, don't run away with buying it. lol

PIG DOWN:
Rolling in the mudd, don't go near it or you'll get soiled.

‘ ‘
(o)

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vezzettj on Apr 23, 11 2:12 AM
This game has actually been on my "if it is ever a DD I'll get it" list. But now that it IS the DD, I'm undecided.

I do like the story and I'd like to finish it but I am not fond of the graphics that tell the story... I have no problems with the comic book style but the art just isn't that good IMO. And some of the other posts mention that there was an abrupt ending and that the sequel that was planned never happened. Do I really want to get involved in a story that won't be finished?

The H0G scenes are pretty clear for me and I haven't had any problems identifing the items I'm looking for... some of the items are very well hidden but that is why we have hints! You do need to actually play the mini games to get more hints. I've always liked the little "logic / mastermind" games that they use for the lock picking here but I remember not being able to figure out where to put the pieces the first time I tried it (hint: they go in the empty boxes at the BOTTOM! I kept trying to place them in the top boxes.. doh!). And I can take or leave the "simon" game... I'll probably skip that one more as long as I have enough hints. I've read about a 3rd "concentration" mini game but I haven't encountered it yet.

This is a straight H0G so if you are looking for more, I'd skip this. There are mini games between EVERY H0G scene but as others have said, they are instantly skippable; I think they keep things interesting. Again, the biggest draw for me is the story. They even try to make the randomness and looking for "junk" part of the story line which always helps with the ... "baby bottle in the sky" problem (NOTE: I didn't see that here!). And there is replayability as the lists are randomized. Now, if I only knew how long the game / story was, that would help! (and if I didn't have so many unplayed games already purchased...)

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Apr 23, 11 2:42 AM
vezzettj wrote:This game has actually been on my "if it is ever a DD I'll get it" list. But now that it IS the DD, I'm undecided.

This is a straight H0G so if you are looking for more, I'd skip this. (Quote)

Thanks Vezzetti - you've saved me a download

[Post New]by hideobjectaddict on Apr 23, 11 4:12 AM
Just to let you know, I happened upon a site that already has "Dream Chronicles: The Book of Water Collector's Edition (Final). When will BFG set it loose on us? Can't wait! But if it's really the final Dream Chronicles, I will be so very sadddd!

chillygirl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by chillygirl on Apr 23, 11 5:55 AM
lmaooooo.....Yourshannygirl!! Your post was the first thing to greet my eyes (well~besides making coffee so I could open them) and it cracked me up. I can soo feel your frustration! I haven't dl'd it yet but I know I'll play the whole demo thinking about your post! lol
I hope you got some sleep & that the game goes easier on ya today! Have a good one!

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on Apr 23, 11 6:05 AM
Thanks fishies for the info on the untimed mode. Now I will try the demo, I love Boston so was interested but I can not play in timed mode!

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Apr 23, 11 7:28 AM
Hints are limited, and not 5 per scene. You start with
5 and can indeed earn more from completing mini-games.
My problem, just cannot do well with Simon says game and
I am using hints in the dark areas and no way to replace
when the next mini is a Simon. At the end of my demo time
I was out of hints and stuck looking for one more item.

If I buy the game, I would have to start over which is okay
once or twice, but I have to wonder how many times this
would happen.

Hate to pass on a HOG at DD price, but also hate to
own another game I can't/won't finish.

Also, picky cursor, I knew it was a spring, but took 4 clicks
for it to take and this wasn't the only item that way.

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

[Post New]by sandebeach on Apr 23, 11 7:48 AM
Really wanted to like this game, need just one more game to fill a punchcard and the DD games are a great price to do that. However,I just can't get the mini-games and I need more hints, I had a really hard time finding items. And I did get penalized (minus 5 points) for clicking in dark areas in a hunt to find them. So unfortunately this is not a buy for me. Will try TGT to see if that is a better game - I like that title "Fallen Shadows"!

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Apr 23, 11 8:53 AM
fingretart wrote:Not sure why you think there are only 5 hints, I finished a screen, did the puzzle at the end and earned another hint...

not sure why you think you can't read a person's entire C&R post. It plainly states in the ETA portion of my post that you replenish them by doing mini puzzles...or are you just too lazy to read that far? UNLIKE you I will give you the benefit of the doubt...perhaps, like me, you were just plain too tired and just didn't feel like reading that far.

vezzettj wrote:yourshannygirl: I see you found that hints are earned by the mini games. There is also an UNTIMED option for this game... you have to select the "timeless" box from the main menu. Oh and the "little dice" you were looking for... I saw one GIANT die at the top of the screen that was disguised as an overhead light...

Yes I did see that and I also saw that there was untimed but I ran out of room on the character limit and was falling asleep! LOL! I am still sitting on the fence if I want to get this game or not..I may give it another chance now that I have had some sleep and try it on the untimed version! I was seriously falling asleep and cranky and not liking the game at all~ Icky I don't like the mini puzzles enough to do them they were seriously lame, but that is my opinion and I am entitled to that but I also respect other people's opinions as well provided they let me have mine! Happy gaming!

chillygirl wrote:lmaooooo.....Yourshannygirl!! Your post was the first thing to greet my eyes (well~besides making coffee so I could open them) and it cracked me up. I can soo feel your frustration! I haven't dl'd it yet but I know I'll play the whole demo thinking about your post! lol
I hope you got some sleep & that the game goes easier on ya today! Have a good one!

LOL! Chillygirl! You are sweet! I have gotten sleep but am still quite tired since it was a night and is a morning of pain with my fibromyalgia. I have learned my lesson: NEVER do a review when you are half asleep and cranky! LOL! I just may go ahead and fork out the $3 to give it a go since I know now that there is an untimed version and if any better mini puzzles come along that I want to do I can replenish the hints...They sure were repetitive though! Not a very good sign in my personal book of HOGs I mean...two different types of puzzles that kept repeating themselves over and over..ugh. Happy Gaming chillygirl!

Edited on 04/23/2011 at 5:56:52 PM PST

Noralg
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by Noralg on Apr 23, 11 9:35 AM
If the graphics were better, this would be a really good game. Just as I thought the mini games were getting repetitious, they changed. Good story line. Option to play without times and mini games recharge the hints. But, the graphics are just too fuzzy. Even with a hint, it's hard to tell what you've just picked up. I was still on the line because of the DD opportunity, but after 20 mins. of play the poor graphics sent me to the "no buy" side.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Apr 23, 11 10:06 AM
I'm back (I was 1st post). Only had 20 min. left which means I liked it enough to leave demo time if it became a DD. I used 1 hint per scene as I wanted to hurry before my time was up. I didn't find the items that hard to find and I'm one of those with bad eyes who often has problems seeing things.

Didn't have time to read everything but I liked what I did read.

I love the mini game inbetween searches so far. lots of chances but pretty easy.

I will be buying and think this game is a bargin. Enjoy fishes.

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Apr 23, 11 10:40 AM
Sorry folks, this game does not get my vote. While I like cleverly hidden objects that give me a challenge, I did not like the overall graphics. The cursor is fussy. I clicked on an object (it was the climbing hook though at the time I thought it was something else) and it came up as a "missed click". After collecting all the other objects I used a hint to find the "climbing hook" and guess what? It highlighted the same object I had clicked on before. Your cursor has to be really dead on or you will get a "missed" click. The door key mini puzzles are extremely easy - If you know how to do it you can get the three colour ones in 3 tries and the 4 colour ones in 4 tries etc. or less and every time. If anyone wants to know the trick you may PM me. I was hoping that the mixing of the elixirs would break the tedium of the straight H.O. scenes and doors. It did not. All in all I found it boring - the story couldn't save it, but I still would not have paid $3 for the sake of the story had it been good.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Apr 23, 11 11:16 AM
It's ok but at the end of the day I'm not buying. Not even as a DD. Basically a straight hog with mini games. Sad thing is I LOVE Mastermind type mini games but they didn't make them right... it is WAY TOO EASY. Mastermind you're supposed to put the lights in a row and then green means it's right color, right place, red means it's right color, wrong place.

Possible spoiler if you don't know how to play Mastermind... so stop reading now if you dont' want to know.

But this one?? It gave you a green if it was right and red if it was wrong. SO even though it offers about 8? lines (didn't count them) to get it right you will NEVER need more than three lines since there are three colors. Basically you'll need the same number of lines as you have colors to place so it's possible they make them harder later but it's still so simple it's like counting 1 2 3 or A B C. Why not make the Mastermind the way it was intended?? I would have bought it just for that!!

But as it stands. This game is despite the semi interesting storyline. No buy.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Apr 23, 11 11:55 AM
I wouldn't pay 50 cents for this game. The reasons: At least 1 or 2 items are to difficult to find per scene. Many very dark areas in the scene. The only way to get more hints is to finish the mini-games. The first 3 mini-games were all the same. Trying to guess which color of fuse to add to each row. There is no way of correcting to try another color other than to completely re start. I found this game to be no fun at all.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Apr 23, 11 12:01 PM
In my opinion it's worth the DD price to kill time while waiting fo a decent game to come along. If the timer could not have been shut down, it would have been a no-go

MySadie
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by MySadie on Apr 23, 11 1:17 PM
This is a no-buy for me. I didn't have any problems finding additional hints through the mini-game, but the ****'s were way too small for me to find without putting my nose 2 inches from the screen! Not relaxing at all.

Go to: