cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 25 April 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Apr 25, 11 1:26 AM
Any comments or reviews fishes?

wunder
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

Re:Todays DD 25 April 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by wunder on Apr 25, 11 5:15 AM
If you like Match3, IMO it's worth $2.99. Graphics are good, H O items are not hard to find and only appear at the end of each Stage, not after each level in a stage (in other words, don't buy this for the H O games). Match levels get more difficult as you progress, and as you upgrade, you get more power-ups that appear on the match board. Some things I didn't like:

- No option for untimed - puts some pressure on to finish. Gave a warning that time was running out, but when I finished that level there was still about 25 seconds left on timer. I ran out of demo time before I reached a level I couldn't finish, so not sure about replaying a lost level. Other posters have said you get the chance to try again, and you may also be able to "buy" extra time to extend the play a little longer.

- Lots of flashes, and seems that a couple of the match items seem to "run" together and are hard to see, especially after you've made a big match and everything is exploding, flashing, etc.

- May just be my computer, but once I "named" my profile, the custom cursor disappeared. After some trial and error, I finally disabled the custom cursor and the regular cursor ran fine.

- During the game, there's a bonus that comes up which allows you to earn more gold. It's okay to play that bonus, but it's irritating when you're on a roll with the match 3, and all of a sudden you're interrupted to play the gold bonus. Wish they had held the gold bonus until after you've finished the round of Match 3.

Will wait til later in the day to determine if I buy; got to see Mudrock's weekly post to see what may be coming later in the week.

Happy gaming all!

swmetz
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by swmetz on Apr 25, 11 5:50 AM
Will wait til later in the day to determine if I buy; got to see Mudrock's weekly post to see what may be coming later in the week.

Thanks for the review. I'm new at this so please explain what Mudrock's weekly post is and where the post can be found..I would love to know what is coming up for punch card reasons.

Thanks

[Post New]by TopazMystique on Apr 25, 11 8:02 AM
I demoed this in 2009. Gave it a "C" (ie, free or $0.99 only). These were my comments at the time:

positives:
- not hard-coded for right-handed people
- outstanding graphics

negatives:
- timed only
- would be A+ if not for terrible timer (failed once even after adding time in 55 min of play)

cstdenis
Salmon
Salmon
2,948 Posts

[Post New]by cstdenis on Apr 25, 11 8:51 AM
Well, I tried to like this one - I really did!

Main Problem: It was cumbersome to move the gems. The pointer just seemed to stick all the time.

I like powerups as much as the next guy, in fact I LOVE powerups, but these were just in the way. I also didn't like that I had to click the "tasks" button to see where I was in completing my tasks for the board - really cumbersome and a time waster.

Also, all the "Long match" messages were over the top of the gameboard as you were trying to make matches, and who could tell the difference between a coin, a blue gem and any other kind of gem to get the powerups? In addition, the fogginess factor was extra over the top. The smoke and cloudiness just made my eyes get tired really fast.

The story could have been cute, but the talking was taking way too much time and the building was just dull. I also didn't want to do the HOG scenes in the middle - a waste of time. I liked Four Elements (even though I hated the frog parts) because the game was challenging and flowed nicely.

I was hoping to get a punch for my card with this one, but guess I'll just go back to fishdom for some straight match three action. Or maybe I'll play Heroes of Hellas 2 for about the 100th time to get my fix. This certainly isn't it.

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Apr 25, 11 11:30 AM
Mudrock lists the games coming up for the week,

Look under forums, forums home, then under chit chat. Should be near the top.

Edited on 04/25/2011 at 11:31:02 AM PST

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vezzettj on Apr 25, 11 3:33 PM
I'm mixed on this game.

Pros: it is BEAUTIFUL (I love fantasy art), you can choose the upgrade order (or to not upgrade and "save up") after the first two buildings anyway, Trophies

Cons: M3 intrupting mini game to catch gold... bleah!, board never changes: it is always square, some of the tiles are hard to tell apart.

There seem to be 2 tile sets: one is basic colors (red, blue, green, purple, orange) and the other is ... off colors (silver, white, greenish-yellow, brownish-orange, etc). The 2nd set is the one where the colors get hard to define... especially when there are coins, upgrades, and sparklies on top of the tile.

I really wanted to love this game... I'm not worried about the timer (get your time tower early and then upgrade as fast as you can) and I didn't notice the "sameness" of the game boards until I read some of the other posts but that catching gold bonus mini game is really horrible... I still don't know... it's soooo pretty! But I do have plenty of M3 games and this doesn't really add anything new to my collection (ok, I don't have a game that looks like this anywhere)... Still thinking about this one...

Update: I was 1/2 through the 2nd zone when my demo ended and hadn't had any time problems but I was kind of glad it ended when it did (just as I was going to that stupid mini game).

Edited on 04/25/2011 at 7:56:01 PM PST

hookt
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by hookt on Apr 25, 11 6:42 PM
After reading the reviews, decided to try the demo and the hour flew by! This game gets better the farther you get into it and I'm not usually a fan of M3 games. I'm terrible at helping the leprechaun gather the gold.

Great graphics, pleasant music, nice little storyline and good power ups.

For the DD price, I'll buy and give it a go!

gpj53
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by gpj53 on Apr 25, 11 9:42 PM
I enjoyed this enough to buy at DD. I really like the fact that I don't have to wait until the board becomes still before clicking away on the next match - unlike Jewel Quests, so frustrating - so I just go madly at it and so far the timer hasn't been a problem. Mind you I have upgraded twice so that probably has helped. Where the timer is irritating is on the mini games of "companions" where my aged hand-eye co-ordination is woeful and it's taken many goes to get the required number of falling items in the time allowed. However these are optional and the only thing I can see gained is a trophy at the end which at this stage I am attempting to attain. No problems with the HOs though I'm not fond of them in M3s.

Go to: