DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Voodoo Whisperer - Update when finished

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 28, 11 12:25 AM
Hi there,
No forum for this game yet so thought I would start one.
I have been waiting impatiently for this game ever since I did some sort of beta test for it. When I found it released yesterday on the dev's site I just had to trial it again to see if it was as great as I remember it - and it was. And it's finally here - a straight buy for me.
However, if you are not into the darker side of magic, then this game probably isn't for you - the name should give you a clue for this - though there have been no animal sacrifices (so far!!).
So here is my comment/opinion on this game.
Well, the graphics are stunning and filled my widescreen laptop. Music/sound effects are appropriate, I have had no problem with the game using Vista, and the items in the H0 scenes are both date and scene appropriate. (I haven't been asked for an hourglass yet though!!!)
There are two modes - I played the expert mode and would recommend it to all gamers who like a challenge. There are no sparkles to assist you, so move the cursor over everything, you can pick items up as you find them (and wonder what they will be used for). You need to have a good pair of sneakers on and a handy head-scratcher!!
I also ran my beta version in the easier mode to see how it compared and for those of you who would like more assistance, well you won't be disappointed, but you will still have to work out some things for yourself.
You can carry lots of items, so remember to use the <- -> arrows at the ends of the inventory box.
There is an inbuilt Strategy Guide (so no Walkthrough available at this point on BFG), but I can't report on this as I haven't used it - I found the "conversations/prompts", the inbuilt tools that appear on both sides on the bottom of the screen, and the "Hint" button extremely helpful when I was truly "stumped".
And of course extra game play - I should have checked the SG to see how it compared to the rest of the game, but I didn't want to spoil my fun by "peeking", so someone else will have to tell you about this. Personally, I don't care, the game play and enjoyment I have received so far has been enough for me to want to purchase it straight away.
<Continued>

Edited on 04/30/2011 at 6:53:42 PM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Voodoo Whisperer

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 28, 11 12:26 AM
<Part 2>
The length? Well, I haven't finished the game (actually downloading it myself now), but during my second hour trial of the game I had only reached the second "Place" to go (even though I already kinda "knew" what to do). And if the map is anything to go by, there should be a lot of other places to go, things to do etc (unless of course this is going to be Part 1 of the game and we hit a "To Be Continued".)
That said, I am an astute, but steady as she goes player who likes to take in the atmosphere, read all of the prompts, watch the cut scenes etc, and take in the beautiful/scary/amazing graphics of a story if so inspired. I do not attempt to beat any world record in playing games, so there will obviously others who will play faster than I.
And yes, as with a lot of these sorts of games, you have to find keys, screwdrivers, oil, toilet seats, false teeth, gumboots, feather dusters, knives, crowbars etc etc blah blah blah and move backwards and forwards before you achieve the goal. However, some of these games do this better than others - and this is one of them in my opinion.
Well, I have managed to fill in some of my time compiling this hoping this will be offered today (Thursday is CE Day after all) and I know I have left something out (and it is very long), but I hope I have at least inspired some of you to enjoy this game as much as I have (so far).
....Oh and yes, this version is a CE - 3 PC credits - yay.
Enjoy.
Cheers.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Apr 28, 11 12:30 AM
I bought on your recommendation DragonLady!! The opening cut scene was great and I am beginning to roam - it looks like a winner at first blush. I really should not have bought a CE but Mother's day is coming up and my dogs haven't figured out how to use a credit card yet!

I will pop in to see if they have the game forum up and running in a while to start the chit chat and rant thread.

Happy gaming everybody!!

ETA: Woof-woof!! ROFL

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 12:33:53 AM PST

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Apr 28, 11 12:33 AM
Hi fishies,

Going to give the system another 15 minutes or so to create the forum before I manually do it so we don't end up with duplicate forums

I'll check back here when a forum goes up or I rustle one up in the kitchen myself.

bfgImbrium

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on Apr 28, 11 12:35 AM
It's sounds like a dream. I am downloading it now also.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 28, 11 12:42 AM
Hi there all,
Thanks for the "attention". Lets hope an official forum is set up soon - and I would really like this post to be a part of it if this is possible bfgImbrium.
Hope you all enjoy this game - either in the easier or expert mode - well worth it IMHO so far.
Cheers.
Edited to add: Well Shadowfax, at least your dogs will be sniffing you instead of chasing you now!! Meow, woof!!

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 1:19:46 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Apr 28, 11 12:46 AM
bfgImbrium wrote:Hi fishies,

Going to give the system another 15 minutes or so to create the forum before I manually do it so we don't end up with duplicate forums

I'll check back here when a forum goes up or I rustle one up in the kitchen myself.

bfgImbrium

Hey Imbrium--thanks so much for being up after midnight your time! Yep, I think we'll need a forum pretty soon, 'cuz this game is gonna be a classic, and there will no doubt be lots of Cs & Rs! BTW, as long as you're in the kitchen, how about some bacon and eggs?

T/Y, DragonLadyOz, for getting us started--great review!

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 12:50:37 AM PST

kimvy
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by kimvy on Apr 28, 11 12:48 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Hi there all,
Thanks for the "attention". Lets hope an official forum is set up soon - and I would really like this post to be a part of it if this is possible bfgImbrium.
Hope you all enjoy this game - either in the easier or expert mode - well worth it IMHO so far.
Cheers.

Yes, that was an excellent early review. It would be a shame to lose it.

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Apr 28, 11 12:54 AM
Hi fishies,

Forum is up and running!

Moving this thread over into the newly rustled up Voodoo Whisperer: Curse of a Legend Collector's Edition game forum.

This discussion can be continued here.

elldee2728 wrote:BTW, as long as you're in the kitchen, how about some bacon and eggs?

T/Y, DragonLadyOz, for getting us started--great review!

How about mine though ? Sunny side up for me!

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 12:55:20 AM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Apr 28, 11 1:01 AM
I tried, I bought, and going to bed as it has been a long day Looks like this one is going to be really good, and liking what I have seen so far, I am looking forward to continuing on. Glad someone started this thread, as I got excited when I saw it...but didn't want to say so, lol.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Apr 28, 11 1:02 AM
Thank you DragonLadyOz for the great review.

I have 28 min. left of play on the demo and I am purchasing now. The graphics are the clearest yet, turned up the music and volumne (dont usually do that) and it really gives the a spooky feel. LOL

Love the storyline so far and of course I am playing in the casual mode and the SG keeps up with you which I love, dont have to page thru a ton of pages to find help. The hints in casual mode recharge very quickly.

Just love Gogii and BFG as you can see I am dong the happy fishie dance big time.

The Madames voice sounds familiar, sounds like the last Louisiana game we had, and its a great voice.

Super happy game day to all fishies

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 1:03:58 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 28, 11 1:03 AM
Oh, you naughty fishes, I missed being able to add all of the emoticons etc to my review - but had to get it posted without the graphic embellishments to get it on-line.
Bacon and eggs? Evening meal for me here in Australia.
Enjoy this delightful game.
Thank-you BFG for making my previously Yucky Thursday a real treat - and thankyou to the devs for offering such an enjoyable game.
Cheers.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Apr 28, 11 1:06 AM
Why wasnt this tranfered to the comments and review????

tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by tillybaby on Apr 28, 11 1:14 AM
Wow just finished the trial and have bought the game, I always do games in the more difficult mode these days and this one is certainly getting me thinking.BRILLIANT,

Here in the U.K. every single thing on the television at the moment is the Royal wedding and although I'm interested in it, this game is a lovely distraction for me.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 28, 11 1:14 AM
care___916 wrote:Thank you DragonLadyOz for the great review.

I have 28 min. left of play on the demo and I am purchasing now. The graphics are the clearest yet, turned up the music and volumne (dont usually do that) and it really gives the a spooky feel. LOL

Love the storyline so far and of course I am playing in the casual mode and the SG keeps up with you which I love, dont have to page thru a ton of pages to find help. The hints in casual mode recharge very quickly.
Super happy game day to all fishies

Hi there,
Thanks for posting this information about the SG to help fill in my gaps.
Enjoy,
Cheers.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Apr 28, 11 1:17 AM
Don't know about y'all...but I am staying away from C&R, lol.

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on Apr 28, 11 1:20 AM
Me too Wolfen. I put my review for Amanda Rose in the chit chat thread. I don't need people telling me why my opinion of a game is wrong.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 28, 11 2:25 AM
Hi there,
No "wrong" opinions, just different perspectives.
Cheers

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Apr 28, 11 2:28 AM
The chit chat thread is a safe haven. It is an open free-for-all, anything goes (so long as we are civil! LOL). All opinions count and none are better or more important than others. Everybody is right in the chit chat thread! LOL

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 28, 11 2:29 AM
Hi there tillybaby,
Yes, "the wedding" is big time news here in Australia as well. However it is a sacrilege to have it at the same time as my team will be playing football!!
Didn't they check the AFL schedule before setting the date?
Cheers.

Go to: