bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Voodoo Whisperer: Curse of a Legend Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Apr 28, 11 12:52 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Voodoo Whisperer: Curse of a Legend Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Voodoo Whisperer: Curse of a Legend Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dylansmom1979 on Apr 28, 11 1:03 AM
I only played 8 minutes of the demo but it has cool audio and beautiful graphics but the mouse cursor doesnt stop when you tell it to.

It keeps moving up and up even after you've stopped moving the mouse.

It makes it hard to click on the correct areas.

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Voodoo Whisperer: Curse of a Legend Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Crystalscove22 on Apr 28, 11 1:16 AM
One of those sleepless nights so why not check into TGT? And was I ever thrilled not only to see a great looking game (and a CE)! but a SUPER REVIEW by DragonLadyOz! Lately the reviews have been very short & vague & not too helpful...DLO's review was a sight for sore eyes! Many thanks to her! Especially mentioning that she plays in hard mode and that there ARE no sparkles...makes this a buy without question for me. I will double check that once I download I have no problems getting into the game...if that goes as planned..I'll buy & then play! Happy Spring!

[Post New]by dylansmom1979 on Apr 28, 11 1:20 AM
Most arent having issues, For me the game works ok and scenes go smoothly just the only issue is the cursor. I wonder if anyone else has this issue.

It just is harder to relax and have fun playing a game when the cursor wont stay still when you want it to and stop when its suppose to.

I am tempted to start the demo again and try to ignore it because it does seem like a fun game. It is already very interesting in the little time I did play it. But I think I might go to bed so I dont play it again because I will more than likely play a few minutes again then get frustrated with the wondering cursor and quit again.

Thats no way to play a demo, a few minutes here and there. Since some are an hour and some stop at a certain part in the game even if you havent used your hour, you get more pulled into the game if you play the demo all the way through in 1 sitting.

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 1:24:35 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Apr 28, 11 1:23 AM
Good graphics. Interesting plot. Hint recharges a little bit slow. Adventure HOG, with all the known signs by the player.

The Strategy Guide is accessible only from the main menu (when will they learn?), doesn't keep the advance of the player.

As the black force turned all the citizens into ghosts, there are lot of meeting with ghosts (Yipee!)

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

Edit:

Streinfenbarb: "Rebeca_Lily, if you click on the book in the lower left corner you have direct access to the SG."

Thank you very much!

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 3:48:36 AM PST

[Post New]by dylansmom1979 on Apr 28, 11 1:26 AM
I LOVE scary games, the scarier the graphics, sounds and music the better. I even enjoy some pop ups at the screen from time to time (Mishap)

Scary games and Scary HOGS are the MAIN games I buy from Big Fish or anywhere. LOVE, LOVE them. This game will be mine once I notice the mouse cursor plays nice.

I think the voodoo woman in the game put a curse on my CURSor, LOL.

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 1:27:40 AM PST

[Post New]by Streifenbarbe on Apr 28, 11 1:31 AM
This game is definitely a buy for me (next month )!
Rebeca_Lily, if you click on the book in the lower left corner you have direct access to the SG.
Thanks BFG, and happy gaming, fishies

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 1:36:46 AM PST

ples244
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by ples244 on Apr 28, 11 1:32 AM
I liked this game, didn't have much trouble finding objects in hidden scenes and when you were done in an area you were told area clear, I like that. The one thing I didn't like was, it gave you the option of custom or regular cursor and if you went to regular cursor it wouldn't change to a magnifying glass. If it won't work both ways, why give you the option?

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Apr 28, 11 1:33 AM
Beautiful graphics, lovely music and sound effects, fascinating story, good hint system (in addition to the integrated strategy guide). Maybe I am just slow, but it took about 57 minutes for me to finish the demo. (Yes, I do read all the dialogue.) The dialogue makes sense and I found no problems with the names given to the hidden objects. The hidden object scenes are clear, because the graphics are very precisely drawn; and the objects are cleverly concealed. Many scenes achieve a sense of something old, forgotten and/or abandoned in a variety of effects: sepia tones, a slight haziness from dust, etc. The overall effect is really wonderful. The mini-games all contain clear instructions. (Thank you, developers!) An extra helpful feature is that when you have found and/or done everything in any location, you will see a banner across the top of the screen that says, "Area Cleared". The game ran perfectly on my system (Windows 7 Professional 64 bit); but everyone has slightly different hardware and software combinations. I have almost stopped considering CEs, but I will give this one serious thought. I took a look at the Strategy Guide and it appears that there would be four more chapters. (I guess one of those would be the extra chapter that is part of the bonus material.) This is great fun, a bit of exercise for the gray cells, and a marvelous use of the imagination.

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 3:36:24 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Apr 28, 11 1:36 AM
Crystalscove22 wrote:One of those sleepless nights so why not check into TGT? And was I ever thrilled not only to see a great looking game (and a CE)! but a SUPER REVIEW by DragonLadyOz! Lately the reviews have been very short & vague & not too helpful...DLO's review was a sight for sore eyes! Many thanks to her! Especially mentioning that she plays in hard mode and that there ARE no sparkles...makes this a buy without question for me. I will double check that once I download I have no problems getting into the game...if that goes as planned..I'll buy & then play! Happy Spring!

Well, thankyou Crystalscove22 for your kind words - I hope the game plays OK for you, but regarding the sparkles.... spoiler...highlight below if you really want to know
....in the expert mode, there are sparkles, but they are ....now that would be telling!!!
Cheers.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 28, 11 1:40 AM
Is there not an Options to switch to system cursor rather than custom? I did a beta of this game and had no tech problems. I only remember that with no SG or WT I spent 2 hours going in circles around and in the house and other buildings, that was just the sample, probably same as demo. I only requested we get a map for that first chapter. Wasted a lot of time returning to same places with nothing to do there. But that is probably player weakness, poor memory. With a guide I thought it was an interesting game, along lines of Deadtime Stories. I liked the vintage or antique objects to find, then got nitpicky when dates invented or brands were way later than end of 19th century. But they looked good

I'll probably buy it to see where the story goes. Anti-occult gamers the title should be an alert, altho historically voodoo was part of the old New Orleans culture. Still is to a small degree, so called voodoo shops for tourists and a minority of believers, curing diseases etc of anti pharmaceuticals. After all, before the invent of a microscope, all unknown bacteria and viruses were "Evil spirits" or curses. Rats, rabies Black Plague and all were believed to be curses, not contagious diseases. Seems there was potion making in this, so forewarned unless you just take it as history misunderstood.

Not a review, just commenting on what I remembered, appeared to be a high quality production and trying to save New Orleans from a terrible curse while just a novice in voodoo having to learn, save her family too. Oh, and you have the gift of speaking with the deceased or those cursed to bring them back.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Apr 28, 11 1:42 AM
After playing the demo I bought the game. I like it very much. The items are not difficult to find. I am still in chapter one, so I think it's take me a long time to play.

I love to find out what to do next.

Thanks BF.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Apr 28, 11 1:44 AM
OMG! I have been waiting & waiting for a game that would just WOW me & here it is. Its about a young girl who is trying to save the town of new orleans from evil voodoo by making potions/spells from a voodoo magic book your nanna gave you & even though it is an evil theme, it doesn't change the fact its a GREAT game. There are voiceovers in the beginning but they don't go into the actual game which is my only disappointment but I'll deal. I started playing in regular mode but found it to be too sparkly so I was able to switch over to advanced mode without having to change my profile or lose my place. I love that option in a game. The advanced mode reminds me of how Mystery Case Files games used to be like in Dire Grove or Return to Ravenhurst. I found my way around quite nicely, sometimes getting stuck but not in a frustrating way where I didn't want to play anymore. It was delightful. I could explore and pick up a bunch of things I had no idea what to do with. I love having random things in my inventory that don't work places I think they would. The hidden object scenes were a little on the easy side BUT they did have a magnify glass in case you needed the extra help to see the items bigger which I never needed to actually use but its nice the option is there. I also like the sound the items make when you find them so it didn't bother me they were easy to spot but on advanced mode its hard to even find where the hidden object part is so thats the real challenge.
I finished the demo with 3 minutes to spare & it was long, way longer than any game i've played recently. It has 6 chapters including the bonus game & since the demo took me an entire hour to play, id say its a great length. I cannot wait to buy this game. I give this 4.5/5 & Im very hard to please.

I am editing this because during this wonderful CE sale, I was going through the games trying to decide what to get and I remember reviewing this one thinking it was fabulous and this is the biggest waste of money I have ever spent on a game. I wish I could trade this one in for a new one or get a refund. The bonus play wasnt enough bonus play as it was in the middle and allll of the hidden object scenes looked the same throughout the entire game. It took me weeks to get through this not because it was long but because it was boring. The sample version was so deceiving!

Edited on 08/28/2011 at 10:19:14 PM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 28, 11 1:54 AM
Dylansmom - re cursor speed. You may be able to slow it down by going to Control Panel, Mouse, Properties or Options. Should be an arrow to dial down cursor speed. That worked for me on some arcade games when my mouse was moving way beyond too fast for me to control. Should work on your sys cursor, not sure about their custom one. On system one you usually lose some of the features like gears, eyeball etc. I use Logitech and controls are in my bottom tray with speakers etc. Maybe ask on the CCC tech forum.

Proxyman
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by Proxyman on Apr 28, 11 2:09 AM
Perhaps something helpful about the cursor. There is an option to switch to the windows system cursor under Options in the main menu (the middle button). Also, if you have resolution bigger than - say 1024x768, you could try to switch to windowed mode (also Options). Seems that lower resolutions are not supported to do that. See if that makes your cursor behave better.

And to Rebeca_Lily. I see a button on the left side of the inventory, that calls the Guide.

goddess280653
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by goddess280653 on Apr 28, 11 2:32 AM
Gorgeous graphics - no lagging between scenes - no floaty cursor. I am a sucker for this type of game and storyline - another goodie for my list next month !! Happy gaming fishies

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 28, 11 2:40 AM
The custom cursor can be turned off in the Options Menu along with the Guide Tooltips and the Music and Sound levels however I don't know if you would still get the walking feet to exit the scenes using the system cursor as the custom one is working perfectly for me today .

Things that I liked ...

Two options of play, Regular and Advanced
The built-in Magnifying Glass
Large Inventory Bag
The puzzles I have encountered so far
The ability to explore at will thus having to wear comfortable walking shoes
The use of old rather than modern objects
Finding objects that I have never ever seen before... I now know what a collar press looks like
The way the objects levitate and then vanish in the H0 scenes
Madam Leveau's voice

Things I didn't like:

Needing wood for two different places and not being allowed to use any of the tree I had just chopped down or any from pile at the bottom of the stairs as I had an axe I could have chopped it down to the required size .
Wasn't so keen on Lillian's voice ... what accent was it ?

Can you tell I am clutching at straws to find anything I don't like .

Things I didn't take a lot of notice of :

The music however it must have been acceptable for me not to mute it .

So I am a happy Cherb at the moment and I am hoping that the length of the game will be worthy of it being a CE as that is what I now look for more than having a SG included.

Cherb

ETA ... Forgot to mention that the graphics are quite good and the items reasonably easy to see

Also found something else for the "didn't" list ...In the swamp you can still see the statue head by the alligator even though it has long been fitted back onto the statue base .

Edited on 04/28/2011 at 11:31:27 AM PST

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Apr 28, 11 2:40 AM
dylansmom1979 wrote:I LOVE scary games, the scarier the graphics, sounds and music the better. I even enjoy some pop ups at the screen from time to time (Mishap)

Scary games and Scary HOGS are the MAIN games I buy from Big Fish or anywhere. LOVE, LOVE them. This game will be mine once I notice the mouse cursor plays nice.

I think the voodoo woman in the game put a curse on my CURSor, LOL.

I agree with you 1000%. I am the same exact way. It keeps the adrenalin going lol. Especially when you are so immersed into the game and something makes you jump out of your chair. It's fun!

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on Apr 28, 11 2:41 AM
I quite like the game, play till the demo finished and i bought it! Beautiful graphics, spooky atmosphere and interesting story. The HOG scenes are quite hard to find but overall its a good game.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Apr 28, 11 3:01 AM
Major deja-vu when I started this demo; I must have beta'd it as it seemed so familiar. Anyway, excellent graphics, very atmospheric, lots of wandering around in places that are decidedly creepy, got as far as finding the Mother when time ran out. Didn't notice the SG but it will be helpful as I had no idea how to proceed once I'd found her!

I also had the 'wandering cursor' problem when I chose system over custom; I reverted back to custom and the cursor was fine after that. Only slight gripe was the black bars down either side; didn't fill my widescreen monitor but that's a minor issue for me if the game is good enough.

Will probably not be able to resist hitting the 'buy' button for this one!

Go to: