vkacademy
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

When is a shovel not a shovel?

[Post New]by vkacademy on May 2, 11 12:51 PM
When you're playing this game! That's when! On one of the first HOG screens, it lists "shovel" and right in the middle of the scene is a shovel! But is that what you click? Noooo! Click on the small spade at the bottom left instead. Apparently anything used for digging in dirt is now a "shovel." Sorry but that is a major peeve of mine and means instant deletion and no buying. (Also, it was fairly boring anyway, so no big loss.)

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

Re:When is a shovel not a shovel?

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on May 2, 11 1:45 PM
Ohhh, LOL

The mis wording is part of the fun of these games.

I am from the UK & a shovel is a spade.

Here a spade ( hand spade) is also a trowel.

A scoop is something you use in the pay & weigh, not a trowel LOL.

Recently although I know a clothes peg is sometimes called a clothes pin, but when I was looking for a pin, ( as in long thin dress/hat pin it turned out to be a peg LOL )

There was a game not so long ago though that was so bad, it was funny. It was pot luck, A clock might have been a teapot, a shoe a top hat, a lemon an umbrella LOL

i myself admitted to looking for a mortar as in the kind my Hubby used to shoot rather than a pounding implement LOL

It all just adds to the fun

Jojo

vkacademy
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by vkacademy on May 2, 11 5:22 PM
I've seen a list calling for a "safety pin" and what it turned out to be was a straight pin (a hat pin, perhaps) Not exactly the same thing, is it? LOL

[Post New]by irishclass2 on May 3, 11 2:03 PM
I agree, and since when is a watch a clock....and if you are going to have spoon on the list, dont have 3 or 4 spoons in the scene...crappy game!

jojo170968
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by jojo170968 on May 4, 11 9:02 AM
Agree with all of your comments here, shovels/trowels, watches/clocks even secateurs became shears.

Never mind deleted the game after 30 minutes, found it boring. I know its a HOG but endless HOG scenes can be very tiresome.

Not spending my money on this one.

JoJo

[Post New]by santiquebabe on May 10, 11 3:22 PM
[b]LOL ... How did you like the "secutaur" (SP) which turned out to be "hedge trimmers"

yvonnehoho
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by yvonnehoho on May 12, 11 11:23 PM
and what if english is not your first language?
then you even have to think harder (or click more)

I learned a lot from these games, but sometimes it's too hard

eedebeep
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by eedebeep on May 25, 11 10:45 AM
yes, the game's authors should have included a dictionary! watches are clocks, napkins are toilet paper, I'm supposed to find a key, there are several in the scene but apparently only one is REALLY a key. pretty sloppy editing I'd say.

LuckyKK
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by LuckyKK on Mar 2, 12 4:57 PM
When you play some of the BFG HOG's. I can see where some of the names used kind of fit - stretching it a little, but they do fit somewhat. However, there are occasions when the name of an item if Completely Different - Off the Wall, from what the actual item is. It can be a challenge. What gets me is the fact that there are no clues/hints/tips as to what you're supposed to do with the mini-games/puzzles. Some can be figured out, but some are just too difficult, or they're real bears to try to figure it out. Someone mentioned about having more than one spoon in a scene, when you need a spoon...well that just makes it more challenging, although I must admit I've gotten a little peeved at times about that sort of thing also. Well Happy Gaming All you Fellow Fishies.

Go to: