Positive Comments

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

Positive Comments

[Post New]by dollyflower on May 3, 11 11:43 AM
I usually go by what my fellow fishies say in the forum, but on this one I have to differ. I read all the negative comments, but the screen shots were so beautiful that I thought I'd try it anyway. I'm loving it. The music gets a little old, so I just turned it down. I would have liked some explanation for the different buttons, but i'm figuring it out by trial and error. I just don't think it's as bad as most of the commenters do. So I guess there's a game out there for everyone. Have a good day!

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

Re:Positive Comments

[Post New]by DeadRiver on May 3, 11 11:58 AM
There is a game out there for everyone. I'm glad you liked it. I liked the screen shots, especially the opening scene.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on May 3, 11 12:49 PM
I'm swimming upstream against the current too, Dollyflower . I played the demo for 45 minutes and really enjoyed it So I BOUGHT it. I am looking forward to finishing it. I know these are unpopular Devs, I have passed on a couple of their games too! But I feel each game should be taken on its on merit and I personally found this game enjoyable. Is it for everyone, probably not! But you don't know 'till you try. Have a good day and Happy Gaming Fishies

[Post New]by OceanBlueShells on May 3, 11 1:24 PM
I don't like to go by other people's reviews on things like games, movies, and music. I need to go by what I like. I absolutely love this game. The art is fantastic.
I will be getting this game!

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on May 3, 11 1:30 PM
Ocean Blue Shells, I love your log in name.

[Post New]by OceanBlueShells on May 3, 11 2:21 PM
You 're sweet! Thanx!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on May 3, 11 5:29 PM
At the risk of annoying people here, I've got to say I've never seen more "followers" anywhere online. One of the "popular" posters writes a negative review and then their fans pop up with comments like "it sounds horrible, I won't even try it now!"

It's the same with this HdO hysteria, just the name of this developer has sent the forum into another tizzy. And it's not bad enough that it's all over the comments and review thread, it's EVERYWHERE.

I'm glad you all liked the game. I've enjoyed and bought games that were almost universally panned, but like I said, I think it's a kind of mob mentality at work and everyone starts enjoying their outrage. Kinda weird.

[Post New]by TuffTadpoles on May 3, 11 5:37 PM

snapnhiss wrote:
At the risk of annoying people here, I've got to say I've never seen more "followers" anywhere online. One of the "popular" posters writes a negative review and then their fans pop up with comments like "it sounds horrible, I won't even try it now!"

You don't annoy me. I agree with you.

Oh, and who's the popular poster?

Edited on 05/03/2011 at 6:03:41 PM PST

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on May 3, 11 7:06 PM
I played 40 minutes of the demo, and so far, I like the game.

Yes, the items are small and hard to see if you've got any kind of visual difficulty - which I do. but you can brighten your screen and there did seem to be a magnifying feature to make things seem larger. The mini-puzzles to this point were simple - just re-arranging picture tiles.

I liked their attempt to portray the sense (or non-sense) of the original story. I haven't played an HdO game before, so I didn't go into the game with any preconceived dislike, and because I haven't played any of their other games I don't know if this game follows a standard template of theirs. I actually like games that want you to collect multiples of items, so that was no biggie for me.

I'll play through to the end of the demo and then decide whether or not to buy it.

yvonnehoho
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by yvonnehoho on May 3, 11 11:00 PM
I bought the game too (my first reaction when I saw it was HdO was as 99,99% of the fishies here) but I gave it a try and I'm glad I did that.
And I like these puzzles and there are a lot of them...and if you're stuck or have no idea how the picture should become...there is always help!!

And I love Alice...

[Post New]by juliebugs79 on May 4, 11 12:22 AM
I almost didn't try this game because of all the negative comments. Then I saw this thread and decided to try it. I'm glad I did. Good lesson for me because I DO like the game. Gonna add it to my long list.

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on May 4, 11 12:25 AM
I played the entire demo and I will say that even if it isn't the best game that I ever played, I do think this is better than any of the others that I have tried by this developer.

These HdO games do fill my screen. - A lot of the popular games with "amazing graphics", I really cannot play because no matter what I have done on my end. Large Monitor, etc I still cannot see the small items to identify what they are and many don't allow the game to be stretched at all. I am simply unwilling to play any game holding a for real magnifying glass to the screen until my vision makes it absolutely necessary. Likewise, if I have to use a ton of hints, I don't feel like I am even playing.

The magnifying glass feature combined with being able to grab the screen and move it around makes it easier to find those tiny items. With it, one can even see that it is a lizard not a turtle that people were talking about.

Of course the ideal would be not to make any item that small to begin with.

The puzzles start out easy and progressively get harder. I liked that, too. The real annoyance is the buttons one needs to manipulate for them. It would help if at a minimum there was a pop up with short explanation what they are when hovering because the icons still confuse me from time to time.

I think some work on their interface would do wonders for them but who knows if they are willing to do that. Anyway, if they were listening that would be my advice.

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on May 5, 11 8:58 AM
Still playing and I STILL love it!!!

ducle
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
422 Posts

[Post New]by ducle on May 5, 11 9:41 AM
I liked the game, too. The graphics are beautiful. I didn't mind finding sets of different objects in the same setting, because I enjoyed "being" there. Most of all, I thought the angled, odd-perspective screens captured some of the absurdity of the book. It was my first HdO game too and I'll probably buy it with my coupon.

suzyoz
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by suzyoz on May 5, 11 12:10 PM
Chortled all the way through the trial. Frabjous!

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on May 5, 11 1:16 PM
I was liking it but got to the pantry and had to quit. I will give it another try, I just hope the pantry scene with all the jams is over soon.

Slowpokie
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by Slowpokie on May 5, 11 8:27 PM
I love this game. I too saw all the negative reviews and was ready for a bad game. I am sure glad I tried it myself. This is a buy for me.

sunny64
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by sunny64 on May 6, 11 2:59 PM
A fun game. The graphics were the best of any Alice game that Big Fish has released and are gorgeous. This version of the story is the closest to the original from what I remember of the original book.

ataloss
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by ataloss on May 7, 11 10:52 PM
I am playing this game and enjoying it. I like the hdo games as they are not really that difficult; like some of the hog's where you have to go back and forth a dozen times to find objects. Think there are too many switch and rotate puzzles, but that it only my opinion. Overall, I like the game.

Slowpokie
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by Slowpokie on May 17, 11 9:50 PM
I finished the game and I am glad I got it. Actually now I am going to recommend it to my sister.

Go to: