bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Dragon Keeper

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on May 4, 11 12:13 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Dragon Keeper? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dragon Keeper

[Post New]by Kamali on May 4, 11 1:24 AM
The game itself worked fine - no technical problems - and the graphics are nice. The baby dragons are cute, but the game seems pointless when you've played it for a few minutes.

You buy eggs, put them somewhere on the screen, hit the eggs, and a baby dragon hatches. Then you feed the dragon (there are pirates every so often that you hit and collect things from, including the money to buy the food you feed to the baby dragons).

When you feed the baby dragons they give jewels. You collect the jewels it gives in return for the food in a box, and when night (end of level) comes you use the jewels to make rings.

I got to the point where I had so many jewels I couldn't collect any more, and I couldn't use them to make rings because there were too many of the wrong sort of jewels. (The jewels are different shapes, and the rings have different shaped holes in).

I couldn't get rid of the 'wrong sort' of jewels, so I couldn't collect any more - basically, I was at stalemate. So I clicked 'sell' and clicked on the box of useless jewels thinking I could sell them. It DID ask me if I was sure. I said yes, thinking I'd have an empty box to collect more jewels in, but it sold not only the jewels, but the box as well.

After that I couldn't collect any jewels at all, because I had no box and there weren't any boxes for sale. That was when I quit the game, with 41 minutes remaining of the trial. I won't be returning.

Edited after three kind fishies explained to me how to sell the jewels - the game is awesome and I've bought it!!

Edited on 05/05/2011 at 2:52:01 PM PST

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on May 4, 11 3:02 AM
I love this game, another great TM game you have brought to us. This game is quite similar to PF's The Fifth Gate but change from flowers to dragons. It's addictive, definitely a BUY from me!!!

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 4, 11 4:05 AM
YAY I love Fifth Gate and Magic farm so I jumped straight on this and although I have only played a few minutes of this demo so far, I love it already and I know that all it needs to do to be a buy for me is get through the demo hour without technical hitches. ETA It did and I now own it

Kamali, admittedly the game hasn't told me this yet but, having played similar games I tried mousing over the gem counters at the top ETA when you are in the jewelry section (where there is a count for how many of each gem you have). That brings up the option to sell some of each. If you click 'sell' in the cave area that is about selling things from the cave so yes it would sell the box itself. I can understand you not realising that if you haven't played similar games though . ETA you do soon get the option to buy extra boxes, for me it was after day 6 but I think it is dependent on which quests have been completed not on days elapsed.

Similar games work the same way, that the selection of, in this case rings (in Magic Farm bouquets and in Fifth Gate perfumes), to be made may not always match the gems you have so it's a strategy decision whether just sell a few unset or save them for a ring the next day (which ought to make them worth more I would think - haven't checked that out yet). What gems you get will depend on which colour dragons you have and what level they are at. As they mature they offer more than one shape so you get fewer of each shape.

I'm going back in . More later..................

ETA I have posted a few hints and tips in a new thread:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/158005.page

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 8:42:20 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 4, 11 5:42 AM
I love this game. It reminds me also on "Fifth Gate" (one of my favourite tm-games and a very long one). Its a buy for me

I have searched a little bit and found this information: The game is from the developer "Running pillow" and they have also made the games "King Smith" and "King Smith 2"

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 5:46:59 AM PST

[Post New]by rowanm1948 on May 4, 11 6:35 AM
Hi y'all I am trying to expand the cave in Dragon Keeper, any helpful hints. Also how do I get the Creature to clean up the cave.

Thanks for any help

EnvirolBek
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by EnvirolBek on May 4, 11 6:36 AM
I was really enjoying this game, then I realized I was somewhere between level 22-25 when my hour trial ran out. This worries me because I have most of the dagger pieces, and the expert ends at day 30? Would I really only have about a half hour of game play left or does it go into more questing and more levels?

Someone please let me know. I would spend my credit on it if I knew it was going to last longer than it appears.

TeamSD
Clownfish
Clownfish
621 Posts

[Post New]by TeamSD on May 4, 11 6:56 AM
EnvirolBek wrote:I was really enjoying this game, then I realized I was somewhere between level 22-25 when my hour trial ran out. This worries me because I have most of the dagger pieces, and the expert ends at day 30? Would I really only have about a half hour of game play left or does it go into more questing and more levels?

Someone please let me know. I would spend my credit on it if I knew it was going to last longer than it appears.

You've just nearly finish the first cave, there are 4-5 caves so the length will be around 4-5 hours, I think so

julie03904
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by julie03904 on May 4, 11 7:02 AM
I love this game. It will be a buy for me. It is very much like magic farm. The tutorial was not that thorough so I can see how someone would get confused. I understood it okay since magic farm is one of my favorite games. You can click on the gems along the top of the basket screen to sell individual gems.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 4, 11 7:49 AM
rowanm1948 wrote:Hi y'all I am trying to expand the cave in Dragon Keeper, any helpful hints. Also how do I get the Creature to clean up the cave.

Thanks for any help
Hi Rowan, you click on a bush (or maybe pile of wood or rock but I tried bushes first) that you want him to clear. Sometimes it takes him more than one day to clear it, so it may be two days before you can buy anything else without selling something first. ETA When you start him on something he sets his little trestle up and gets to work. If you change your mind, click on the trestle to make it go away and reassign him somewhere else.

I take it you already realised that you have to buy him first so may need to sell a dragon to make room for him?

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 8:25:27 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 4, 11 8:44 AM
TeamSD wrote:
EnvirolBek wrote:I was really enjoying this game, then I realized I was somewhere between level 22-25 when my hour trial ran out. This worries me because I have most of the dagger pieces, and the expert ends at day 30? Would I really only have about a half hour of game play left or does it go into more questing and more levels?

You've just nearly finish the first cave, there are 4-5 caves so the length will be around 4-5 hours, I think so

LOL I was still on single figures at the end of my demo but that's the way I play these kinds of games . When I learn a new trick I am likely to start again and try to play differently. I expect it to last me at least a week

EnvirolBek
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by EnvirolBek on May 4, 11 9:20 AM
Thanks for the info TeamSD. I appreciate the quick response

flekoun
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by flekoun on May 4, 11 9:27 AM
What a lovely game! Its kinda similar to 5th gate but with dragons it is even more fun! Definetely buy for me. Everyone who love relaxing TM games must buy this. After long time another brilliant game. Thanks BFG I give to this lovely and cute game.

Kamali wrote:The game itself worked fine - no technical problems - and the graphics are nice. The baby dragons are cute, but the game seems pointless when you've played it for a few minutes...........

Sorry but you dont know how to play this game. You can sell individual gems in Jewelery. Selling whole chest wont sell gems in it. Dont sell your last chest because you cant collect gems. Further in game you are able to buy more chests.

kokot2
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

Very addicting game

[Post New]by kokot2 on May 4, 11 11:15 AM
This game is sooo addicting. It truly is similar to Fifth Gate or Magic Farm but from different settings. Those little dragons are so cute and taking care of them is very rewarding and satisfying. This game is a buy for me
It might even become one of my favorite games of all times. And yes there are at least 4 caves - not just one!

[Post New]by TuffTadpoles on May 4, 11 5:01 PM

Kamali wrote:
I got to the point where I had so many jewels I couldn't collect any more, and I couldn't use them to make rings because there were too many of the wrong sort of jewels. (The jewels are different shapes, and the rings have different shaped holes in).

I couldn't get rid of the 'wrong sort' of jewels, so I couldn't collect any more - basically, I was at stalemate. So I clicked 'sell' and clicked on the box of useless jewels thinking I could sell them. It DID ask me if I was sure. I said yes, thinking I'd have an empty box to collect more jewels in, but it sold not only the jewels, but the box as well.

After that I couldn't collect any jewels at all, because I had no box and there weren't any boxes for sale. That was when I quit the game, with 41 minutes remaining of the trial. I won't be returning.

This game is similar to Magic Farm and The Fifth Gate. You can in fact sell the jewels individually if you need to. On the ring screen you'll see all of the jewels you have in stock at the top of the screen. The top number indicates how many of that particular jewel you have in your basket and the bottom number indicates the selling price for each jewel. If you hover the mouse cursor over one of the jewels, you'll have an option to sell one at a time or all of them at once. You can partially fill as many rings as possible and come back to finish them after the next round. If you partially fill some of the rings and you still have some jewels left over, you can then sell the jewels individually if you want, or keep some of them to make rings after the next round.

I don't know why you couldn't buy a basket. I purchased one additional basket in addition to the one I already had.

Edit: There are three tabs along the bottom of the screen (Dragons, Stuff and Creatures). Click on the "Stuff" tab and you'll be able to purchase jewel containers IF you have enough money.

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 5:56:36 PM PST

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on May 4, 11 5:34 PM
I loved The Fifth Gate, but at first I couldn't understand why so many people were linking the two. As I played my way through the trial, I felt like I was just spinning my wheels. I was supposed to expand the cave, but I had no idea how to. This game really needs a help button. Fortunately, I came back to the forum and read some of the threads here. Armed with new understanding of how the game functions, I went to my other computer and downloaded a second trial. I am so glad I tried again. Now that I understood what to do, I found it very addictive and saw the similarities to The Fifth Gate. You do need to use your brain as well as your clicking finger. I have happily purchased this game.

Zephriel
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Zephriel on May 4, 11 8:14 PM
Dragon Keeper was a delightful way to fritter away about four hours. It was a lot of fun, but way too short. If it was longer, like Fisher's Family Farm, it would be more worth the money spent.

If the game's creators take suggestions, it would be nice if they'd add a sandbox/free play mode, and/or another island and some more levels. It would increase the replay value.

ojennifer
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by ojennifer on May 4, 11 11:05 PM
I bought this game because it is cute, and fun. I liked the Magic Flower games and this is similar. My only problem was how short the game was. There are only 4 or 5 caves, and it seemed that I was done in no time at all.

I hope there is another one in the works. Maybe longer.

Down with HOG's!!!

[Post New]by CathrineStar on May 5, 11 1:17 AM
Finally another great non-HOG game here on BFG.
Gameplay is similar to 5th gate where days and nights change. During the day you need to feed your dragons who lay gems for you. During night you use those gems to forge various jewels. You also expand and customize your cave during the night. Days are short enough so they are not tiresome. Even pesky heroes invading your cave are not so frustrating like bugs in 5th gate. You still have to click on them but thanks to those "fireflies" you just need to ward off only the first one.
I also like the shop upgrades. They stay with you in all caves and upgrading creatures makes them much better and changes their colors
I highly recommend this game to anyone. There won't be a better TM-game here on BFG again for some time.

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on May 5, 11 3:34 AM
Lovely game. .I'm not too good with TM games but I can manage this one. You can still finish the level if Expert time runs out, so I have to redo 2 of the caves but I don't mind at all!. The baby green dragons with pink bonnets, in the last cave, are soooo cute. Just LOVE friendly dragons.

Thanks all involved for a delightful evenings gaming

Go to: