Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

Hints and Tips for Dragon Keeper

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 4, 11 8:35 AM
1) The game doesn't seem to tell you this (yet), but there are 2 ways to get money for gems. One is putting them into jewelry settings, the other is also done in the jewelry section:

Look at the top of the screen where it tells you how many you have of each. Hover the mouse over any type of gem to get the options to sell either one or all of that type. BUT you earn more money for a piece of jewelry than you would for the sum of the same quantity of unset gems.

2) There is another way to make space in the box(es) too: If you have some jewelry that you can only part fill, doing so means that, during the next day, those gems are stored in the settings and don't take up space in your box.

3) Watch out for the Daily Deal. Sometimes there is a daily deal showing at the bottom of the jewelry page, such as 2 coins extra for every small red gem used or 5 coins extra for every ring forged. This extra money is given to you when you start the next day. A message such as 'Daily Deal bonus +12 gold' pops up.

4) Sometimes a quest takes more than one day to complete, so you get the chance to go and make jewelry part way through it. Bear in mind that if you make jewelry from gems you need for the current quest (or sell them) that will remove them from the total towards the quest.

Sometimes you may want to do it anyway, to buy something that will help you to get more of what you need.

4) If you have gathered enough to complete a quest but want to sell or use the gems instead of giving them up for the quest, you don't have to click on the done button at the end of the day. Clicking done says 'yes, take away whatever thing you asked me to collect' (this may be so many of a certain gem or a certain amount of money). If you go to jewelry screen without clicking 'done', you can sell those things if you need to instead of completing the quest. If you use some of them, the 'done' button goes away and you will need to top them up to achieve the quest. ETA You'd need a good reason to hold off on clicking 'done' to complete the quest because it is clicking 'done' that gets you the next new type of creature, upgrade for your cave or more expensive type of jewelry to forge

............................to be contd

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 6:50:24 PM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

Re:Hints and Tips for Dragon Keeper

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 4, 11 8:40 AM
5) To see what extra items you could buy for your cave, such as an extra feed rack (and, later on, extra boxes and maybe other things), click on the stuff tab at the bottom of the cave screen.

6) The number at the top left of the cave screen is how many creatures you have and how many you have room for in total. If you try to buy another when already at 5/5 it will say to expand your cave. You will find out how a bit later on (or see spoiler 7)). In the meantime if you want a different creature you'll need to sell an existing one to make space for a new one.

7) To 'expand your cave' SPOILER you have to wait until the game offers you an imp and buy one. If your cave is already full, you will need to sell a dragon before you can buy an imp. After starting the day, click on something you want the imp to clear (bushes, piles of wood or rocks) and he will set up his little trestle and start working. If you want to move him to a different obstacle, click on his trestle (which stops him working on the current one) and click somewhere else to get him started again. NOTE: He will sometimes take more than one day to clear an obstacle so it may be 2 days before your cave expands to allow an extra living thing. END SPOILER

8) I was assuming the intruders would damage the dragons (as the pests in Magic Farm damage the flowers). That hasn't happened to me but - they STEAL your gems!! I just found that out the hard way LOL. I think the tutorial did mention that they would rob you it but I didn't take it in at the time When they appear, click on them a few times until they drop their armour and release a ball of blue light. Collect the blue light (useful later apparently) and, if there are more of them on the screen, it will send out a flash which makes another one drop their armour and produce another blue ball of light. To make a few extra coins SPOILER pick up their discarded armour too END SPOILER

9) I made some unexpected bonus money by SPOILER clicking on that mushroom at the back left of Cave 1 when it was swelled right up and pulsating at me LOL. It put out a pile of treasure. I clicked on that to collect it and earned 100 gold! ETA I also tried clicking on the thing (I thought it was a bird!) that rushes across the screen and got 15 or 16 gold for that.

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 7:09:04 PM PST

flekoun
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by flekoun on May 4, 11 9:59 AM
Thanks so much for these great Tips!

maricika
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by maricika on May 4, 11 6:50 PM
Thx a lot , was ready to throw in the towel Sold some dragons as I was just feeding them and couldn't collect the jewels. They are cute and wish the goals were made easier to get.
Am sure will enjoy as it seems gentle paced

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 4, 11 6:59 PM
You're both welcome .

I only just noticed that back around 1:30 pm BF time, when I made an edit to tip 7) to point out that you can't expand the cave until the game offers you an imp, I had accidentally deleted a ']' from a colour code which stopped any of the SPOILER part from showing, even as white text!

Sorry about that, I have fixed it now

Maricika, I think it's not meant to be possible to do each goal in a single day so, if that is what you mean by wishing the goals were easier, I think you will probably find that it works out OK .

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 7:15:35 PM PST

[Post New]by Mommie2brat on May 4, 11 7:04 PM
I still can't see the spoiler for tip #7

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 4, 11 7:10 PM
It's there in white writing so you have to use your mouse to highlight it.

Left click at the start of it then hold left mouse button down as you drag over it. You should see it as white text against a coloured background.

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 7:17:40 PM PST

[Post New]by michaelsgurl on May 4, 11 9:22 PM
Thx Daisy for the tips especially the imp part i was pulling hair trying to find out how to get him! I am hoping you can help me with one more thing. This might sound stupid or maybe I am just not use to these types of games but I am kinda of missing the point of the game, After I make these pieces of jewelery do I want to sell them? Or do I need to keep them for later on? Any Tips u can give I would be most grateful. Thx again for your help so far!

Also on the quest it says collect 8 gems and my dragons drop more than 8 i fill my box but i dont get to the point where I get the done button. Am I missing something is there a certain 8 gems|? Im sooooo confused plz someone put me out of my misery

Edited on 05/04/2011 at 9:39:55 PM PST

flekoun
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by flekoun on May 5, 11 12:06 AM
michaelsgurl wrote:Thx Daisy for the tips especially the imp part i was pulling hair trying to find out how to get him! I am hoping you can help me with one more thing. This might sound stupid or maybe I am just not use to these types of games but I am kinda of missing the point of the game, After I make these pieces of jewelery do I want to sell them? Or do I need to keep them for later on? Any Tips u can give I would be most grateful. Thx again for your help so far!

Also on the quest it says collect 8 gems and my dragons drop more than 8 i fill my box but i dont get to the point where I get the done button. Am I missing something is there a certain 8 gems|? Im sooooo confused plz someone put me out of my misery

You collect gems and then you make jewels out of them in jewellery (bottom right button) which are then sold and earn you money.

Yes certain quests needs specific gems. The picture of a gem you need to complete the quest is on a Quest flag next to progress bar. However if you need for example purple gems you will have to buy purple egg and breed purple dragons. So always buy at least one dragon of each color.

[Post New]by StealthBunny on May 5, 11 7:20 AM
Occasionally one of the obstacles that the imps clear will also give a pile of treasure/money.

Edited on 05/05/2011 at 10:17:17 AM PST

[Post New]by StealthBunny on May 5, 11 7:30 AM
Also if you click on the armor the Greedy Heroes leave behind, you get cash for that as well.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 5, 11 10:03 AM
Michaelsgurl, you are welcome

Hi Stealthbunny , on your first post: Yes you can and I needed it in the 2nd cave to help me reach expert, but I treated that bit like a spoiler with white text for that bit because some people like to find that sort of thing out for themselves.

If you know how to do white text, are you willing to do the same please? I'd appreciate it .

(You just need to hit edit on your post, highlight the bit that gives away the spoiler then click on the letter T with the colour palette and pick the white one)

Extra SPOILER on that from me: In cave 1, I used the mushroom on day 1 and managed to get gold from it again on either day 20 or 21 (can't remember which ). In Cave 2, I only managed to get it once. END SPOILER

Update on one of the other ways to get a little bonus cash:
SPOILER The tiny thing which occasionally moves really quickly from right to left across the lower part of the screen (and looked like a little bird to me but is maybe meant to be a worm), gives more cash the earlier you click on it.

I usually catch it as it slows a bit just an inch or two away from disappearing and get 15 or 16 coins but the worst I have done is 13 gold for catching it at the very last minute and best is 19 for catching it nearer the middle.
END SPOILER

Edited on 05/05/2011 at 10:34:06 AM PST

[Post New]by StealthBunny on May 5, 11 10:18 AM
Daisy_May wrote:Michaelsgurl, you are welcome

Hi Stealthbunny , on your first post: Yes you can and I needed it in the 2nd cave to help me reach expert, but I treated that bit like a spoiler with white text for that bit because some people like to find that sort of thing out for themselves.

If you know how to do white text, are you willing to do the same please? I'd appreciate it .

(You just need to hit edit on your post, highlight the bit that gives away the spoiler then click on the letter T with the colour palette and pick the white one)

I've gone back in and deleted that part, since you had already mentioned it. I missed it, probably because I didn't read some of the spoilers That will teach me for posting before I've had my morning coffee!

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 5, 11 10:27 AM
Thanks Stealthbunny . I hope you didn't mind me asking . It's maybe too much for me to expect it stay hidden text for long .

It's just that I was in two minds whether to post that tip about mushrooms at all because it is a spoiler (and this was meant to be about how to do the basic things), but I compromised on white text because I thought everyone could use the money & I have no idea if everyone is as inquisitive as me when it comes to clicking on any old thing just to see if anything happens .

I hadn't mentioned mushrooms in other caves actually, so you didn't miss anything (even pre-coffee ) but I think, having got the idea, folk would try it .

Did you see the other tip about getting money? The bird (or is it a worm?) one? I just edited something about that into my first reply to you?

Edited on 05/05/2011 at 10:35:18 AM PST

[Post New]by StealthBunny on May 5, 11 3:49 PM

Did you see the other tip about getting money? The bird (or is it a worm?) one? I just edited something about that into my first reply to you?

Yes, I did see that one, and actually I had already figured that one out. You also get an award for it in the game.

Did you catch that clicking on the Heroes armor also gets you cash?

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 5, 11 6:00 PM
Yes I knew about the armour - it was in the spoiler tacked on to the end of the bit about not letting them rob you . I probably didn't need to make that bit white because IIRC the game tells you to do it I think, but I wasn't sure so I did it anyway.

I hadn't registered getting the worm trophy so thanks for pointing that out. I visited the trophy room and I only have 3 left to get, which is fine since I am only in cave 3.

Edited on 05/05/2011 at 6:00:35 PM PST

bethjudy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,207 Posts

[Post New]by bethjudy on May 6, 11 9:54 AM
In cave 3 make sure to use the edit button to move the collection box, since it sits right where the thieves enter the screen. Slows them down so they can't steal from you as easily.

[Post New]by StealthBunny25 on May 6, 11 4:58 PM
Here's another hint about cash, but it's a tricky one with timing - has to do with the heroes stealing your gems:

Spoiler: If you smack them after they've snitched out of your collection box, they not only drop the gems they've snitched from you, but a lot more, too!

Also, not really a spoiler, but a tip - if you are forging your jewelry and no "frames" come up that you can use, sometimes if you exit the "jewelry" area and go back in, you get a new set of frames.

[Post New]by StealthBunny25 on May 6, 11 5:00 PM
Daisy_May wrote:Thanks Stealthbunny . I hope you didn't mind me asking . It's maybe too much for me to expect it stay hidden text for long .

It's just that I was in two minds whether to post that tip about mushrooms at all because it is a spoiler (and this was meant to be about how to do the basic things), but I compromised on white text because I thought everyone could use the money & I have no idea if everyone is as inquisitive as me when it comes to clicking on any old thing just to see if anything happens .

I hadn't mentioned mushrooms in other caves actually, so you didn't miss anything (even pre-coffee ) but I think, having got the idea, folk would try it .

I've also found that it will give you cash at other points in the game. Sometimes on the 20th day, but occasionally other times, but I haven't figured out a pattern yet.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on May 8, 11 5:00 PM
I think I have figured out what makes it (the mushrooms in caves 1-3 and bright blue thing in final cave) give cash more than once per cave.

I wish I hadn't because it seems as though the extra times are maybe a bug (or too easy anyway since I could now make it happen every day I think ) so I feel I would be cheating if I took advantage of it . Looks to me as though it should be meant to happen once per cave.

It seems to give cash out every time that you click on it when you have HIGHLIGHT with mouse to read spoiler -->:been out to main menu and back again since you last collected this bonus.

On the treasure hunter trophy (which is for the imps sometimes digging up treasure while clearing the cave): The locations and amounts seem random, different bits of debris each time I play and amounts varying from 70 gold to 300 gold. All randomness is good for replay value IMO .

Edited on 05/08/2011 at 5:32:12 PM PST

Go to: