cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 6 May 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on May 6, 11 12:01 AM
Any comments or reviews fishes?

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

Re:Todays DD 6 May 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by kdubs on May 6, 11 12:27 AM
I bought this game a couple of years ago and it.
Yes, it is Timed mode only, no option for relaxed. That made me nervous because I prefer not to be timed in M-3.
However, I found once I learned not to use my powerups in early play and to hoard them for the toughest rounds near the end, everything went fine.
Just be sure to watch for the pieces you need to lower from the board and don't let them get to the bottom until they are in a clear position to drop from the board. And be sure to collect all powerups before you lower the final piece of the artifact to the bottom.
I really like the graphics and the music. Each city has a level they call Hidden Object where you collect pieces of artifacts. There's also a part where you put completed artifacts in their correct places. Finally, you collect pieces of each crystal for the altar. Hints do apply for all of those mini-games.
Hope this information helps.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 6, 11 12:43 AM
I liked playing this when I had it on my pc a few years ago. Was a member of that site where you don't buy, just play, was very tempted to buy it when I quit my term and didn't renew.

I don't think I was ever able to finish it, timer on final games. Good tips kdubs, it was those pieces you have to work to the bottom to fall out I'd get stuck and replay replay. Decided I like more traditional clear the board m3s since. It is a nicely mounted game, graphics, hogs etc, but like 7 Ancient Wonders of the World I could never finish either. Just fun while I lasted.

May d/l the trial and see if I'm any better at it, I know it was quite addictive back then. Not sure if I can get 60 min if those old files are still in pc. I found Paradise Quest there too which I got more hooked on and bought it. There is another similar M3 to this, The Rise of Atlantis, timer too. I think this is a sequel or same dev, Call of Atlantis which I didn't care for at all. This one has more features, HOGs etc. Good buy for a DD.

edit, remembering from kdubs, not hogs but frogs with pieces. Not big on frogs, maybe why I decided not to buy before. Just personal preference, it's a good game.

Edited on 05/06/2011 at 12:46:56 AM PST

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vezzettj on May 6, 11 1:09 AM
This looks like a fairly good M3 game... but I'm probably passing on it.

It is VERY similar to Around the World in 80 Days, which I have enjoyed and completed. However, this one seems a little easier as I recall that 80 Days didn't let you move the tokens that needed to be dropped to the bottom. This game does have much better graphics than 80 Days does. I really appreciate the voice acting and the story development that went into this game too... And I do like the screen savers, even though I rarely end up using them (my 80 Days ones don't work so well any more; I think they are too... old!).

I like that they tried to spice things up with HOG scenes every so often but I HATE that they are FrOGs. My other complaint is that you can't make matches while the tiles are falling.

Maybe I'll give 80 Days a quick trial to see the differences and then decide (but I really HATE FrOGs...)

Edited on 05/06/2011 at 1:15:09 AM PST

[Post New]by hemi1968 on May 6, 11 6:33 AM
Yes I totally agree that it is very similar to Around the World in 80 Days and that it's a little easier. But I will say that for the DD price this is great re-play value. I got hooked on both games and shared them with my parents and now they are totally hooked! We have all replayed the game countless times and it's still lots of fun. Challenging at some points but that only just makes you keep wanting to play. I'd highly recommend it but be warned....it's addictive!!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 6, 11 8:23 AM
This is one I can pass up. My least favorite feature is the FROG scenes, which do not appear to be skippable. As for the Greco-Roman theme, I've seen it enough to last me till the next decade I think. (- Not that I'd automatically pass up every game with that theme, just that it's not really an attraction for me.) The match 3 gameplay is okay, but seems redundant to better games I own.

Edited on 05/06/2011 at 8:25:08 AM PST

tuskel
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by tuskel on May 6, 11 4:28 PM
I was pleasantly surprised when I did the trial. After all, M3 was what introduced me to casual gaming, and I have since gone off it. I mean, there are only so many M3 games you can play before you have seen it all.

But - nice music (Only Egypt one is a bit annoying to me), great graphics - and I like that pausing the game lets you see the background picture - and nighttime! and rain!! HOG (FrOG) scenes are a refreshing break from the M3 levels. I am not sure how accurate are these "facts" though.

For this price - yes, definitely, a fun little game.

Edited on 05/06/2011 at 4:28:39 PM PST

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on May 7, 11 11:07 AM
I really loved the concept of this game and all the extras in it. Not your usual "played one you've played them all" M3 game. BUT the timer stressed me out and with RA and carpel tunnel, even in my demo hour I got close to running out of time once. Its also very busy looking board with small pieces, which makes it not only hard on the eyes but my hands as well with clicking each tiny piece to swap.

I would buy it if it had a relaxed mode, but after an hour (thats with taking time to read all the info and watch the scenes, so I didn't even get to level 3) my fingers are killing me, nerves are shot and both my eyes and hands are hurting and strained. So its a CAN'T buy for me.

Its a shame, very fun addictive interesting M3. DEVELOPERS READ.. redo or make another with bigger board pieces and a NO TIMER/RELAXED mode!!!!
When will they learn that the majority of casual gamers are disabled and seniors? Yes I know this is an older game, but some are still putting timers with no untimed option.. and again as I posted in another thread. You want to make selling your older games? REDO them with a UNTIMED option! Many of us would gladly pay full 6.99 price (or are credits we have to spend now with so many CEs) for that, than these timed games for 2.99!

This fact gives the game a big for me and now I'm off to rest my fingers that are in horrific pain!

Go to: