cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 8 May 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on May 8, 11 12:39 AM
Any comments or reviews fishes?

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

Re:Todays DD 8 May 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by vezzettj on May 8, 11 1:09 AM
I'm not sure how to classify this game but it looks like other fishies are calling it Resorce Management.

You control the prince who runs around town collecting resources... each level has some wood, stone, and gold lying around at the start but those do not renew during the level. There are also "magical components" to gather and these do renew.

So, you need buy blueprints to build buildings: lumberjack produces wood, farm produces food, and so on... and then you have to buy blueprint upgrades and each level will have "quests" to build a certain level of buildings. You also have to build cottages to keep the villagers happy and the cottages need to be upgraded to "have children".... and so on some more...

And if the villagers have any problems, you make potions to fix the problems. In 50 minutes I learned 3 potions but only 2 were "quest related". I actually like the potion making: there are 4 "Raw" ingredients and each can be "crushed" or "powered" and the recipies do show you a picture of what the ingredients look like. And then you drag the items to the pot to make the potion.

In the other reviews, it was recommended to change the camera setting to "free camera"; I didn't even make it 5 minutes at the default setting: the camera would swivel to follow where the prince moved. In free camera mode, the camera is more fixed but you do have the option to spin the camera around using the "scroll" to zoom in or out and the "hold right click" to move the camera.

Note: this is by the same developer as yesterday's Daily Deal and the tutorial is very similar... But this is a completely different game. It looks cute so far but it also says I completed 25% in 50 minutes... There are achievements but the only one I earned was "complete the tutorial".

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vezzettj on May 8, 11 1:20 AM
Continued...

My biggest complaint is that there is also a "merchant". Since you do not (ever?) get the ability to mine for gold, you must sell items you collected or produced to the merchant for gold: used to buy blueprints and potion recipies and for some building upgrades. You can always sell and buy from the merchant but he only has so much gold and so much supplies per day... oh yeah, the day time / night time thing...

So, during the "day" your villagers produce goods at the buildings you have. At "night" they go to sleep (and if they don't have a cottage, they lose happiness) and you are encouraged to gather magical resources and make potions. The Merchant is accessable all night long too so it looks like you are the only ones who don't sleep... And I think at night the villagers also "take food" from your stores... this might be important later (hint, hint!). If a child was born, you will find out at day break. Yes, the lighting does get dimmer but I didn't have any problems seeing at night and the resources sparkle nicely...

Oh and so far, a timer is not to be seen! Yes, the villager's problems have a little timer but you can take as many "days" to complete a level as you want. According to the forums, there will be maybe 3 total "timed" achievements but you can complete the game without worring about a timer.

My impressions: The buildings / blueprints / villager happiness / making babies / gather resources, etc part all feels like it has been done sooo many times before... even the potion making isn't that unique but I did like the mechanics involved! The story wasn't really pulling me in and the graphics, though cute, are dated. The 3-D camera option will be appreciated by some and hated by others... but there are ways to fix that. I really didn't like relying on the merchant so much... I'll have to think about this some more. I don't actually have any of the other games this remindes me of but again, I do already have sooooo many games that I haven't played yet.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on May 8, 11 6:02 AM
Great review vezzettj ! Thanks and Happy Mother's Day to you!

NormaNorman
Minnow
Minnow
224 Posts

[Post New]by NormaNorman on May 8, 11 7:22 AM
I had 26 min left on this game, so when it came up for the DD I thought I'd review the game again and probably buy it. It was total crash zone. Wouldn't even fully start. Then I read in the bug report section it may have viruses embedded in it. Well, I'm not even going to try to fix it at this point. I may be being overly cautious, but I've had some virus problems already the last few weeks, and my system is still no fully functional, so the game is a no go for me. It's too bad because BFG has had less and less the last few months that interests me.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 8, 11 8:50 AM
Personally, I have every faith that there are never any viruses in games released by Big Fish.

However, that doesn't mean games can't crash and cause damage when they do. (I run Windows XP, as to the following instructions....) When that happens, I click on Start, My Computer, right click on the local drive I use (C: drive, in my case), and Properties. In the Properties box select Tools tab.

In the error-checking section, of the Tools box, click the Check Now box. The first option box says: Automatically fix file system errors. I always check that box.

The second option box says: Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. That option takes quite a while to run, so is best to do, like, overnight, or if there's enough good tv on to keep me from missing my computer for an hour (never timed it).

Then click Start button. My computer tells me that I have to restart my computer in order for the error-checking to run. So I restart my computer. While starting up, it then runs the error checking before showing me my desktop. It shows me the progress of it in text on a blue background as it runs. As I said before, this can take awhile.

This has helped me recover from lots of problems. It's not always a perfect fix, cuz some crash damage can be permanent it seems, but I've always been able to keep on keepin' on using this and the usual general maintenance stuff like running an anti-virus regularly and keeping up with Windows Updates and driver updates.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on May 8, 11 10:05 AM
Enjoyed playing the demo, so I bought this game.

Enjoyed the music, so that makes me patient with the navigation and learning curve.

I enjoyed the thoroughness of the tutorials and not feeling too rushed with the goals, aside from a little stress to do the health potions and to fireball potion the enemies. So far the game is not bringing these things as surprises, so that's nice.

Edited on 05/08/2011 at 10:12:57 AM PST

ggxgp
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by ggxgp on May 8, 11 6:58 PM
I don't have time to play the demo today.
Is the gameplay anything like Gemini Lost or is it more like Virtual Villagers?

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vezzettj on May 8, 11 8:06 PM
ggxgp: I only played the demos of those games, and it has been awhile... but the biggest differences (that I like) is I don't have to assign tasks to the villagers, they just do what needs to be done and it is the prince (you control) that is gathering supplies. So, the villagers work in the production buildings and those auto-generate goods every "cycle". You also are not "pairing up" couples... they do that on their own too! You (the prince) just need to keep everyone happy.

Hope that helps (and sorry if it doesn't).

Go to: