mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

Bing Bar Alert

[Post New]by mcurty on May 9, 11 12:13 AM
Be aware that this game will check your DirectX to make sure it is current. There is a Bing Bar box checked with that. Just make sure to uncheck it unless you want a Bing Bar.

I do accept the installation of DirectX because it is just checking to make sure what you have is compatible with the game. If you keep yours current, it will not install anything.

Edited on 05/09/2011 at 12:18:13 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Bing Bar Alert

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on May 9, 11 12:28 AM
Hi there mcurty,
Good call as usual - especially about the Bing Bar that comes with any installation of DirectX.
For those of you who needed the upgrade, the Bing Bar option is NOT a option/problem, but comes from Microsoft (I believe).
Cheers

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on May 9, 11 12:42 AM
Whenever we download some of these games we try to install the newest DirectX but get a message that says 'internal installation problem" and then doesn't install it. Sometimes the games work and sometimes they don't.

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on May 9, 11 12:45 AM
Its funny, I have never had the Bing toolbar thing ever come up when they check to see if my Direct X is up to date. I have wondered if it could be due to me deleting Bing completely from the search provider section in IE and from my computer. I know this is a pet peeve of some of you, not sure if this is the reason though but it may be worth a shot. Good Luck
Have fun gaming fishies and Have a Great Monday!

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on May 9, 11 12:50 AM
Well, this is one of the times when the game does not work. Darn. Does anyone know if there is anyway around this? Is it because I have a triple firewall ? A lot of the games work when we download them but when that DirectX comes up, even though I consent to the download, they do not work.,

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on May 9, 11 12:56 AM
BlackWaterRules wrote:Well, this is one of the times when the game does not work. Darn. Does anyone know if there is anyway around this? Is it because I have a triple firewall ? A lot of the games work when we download them but when that DirectX comes up, even though I consent to the download, they do not work.,

Hi there BlackWaterRules,
I am no techno-head regarding this, so I hope someone more savvy than I can give you some advice.
Have you tried also posting this in the Technical Forum on the top of the Forums Home page??
Hope you find a solution soon.
Cheers.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on May 9, 11 12:57 AM
I'll try posting in techno thread. We should have done that the first time it happened.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on May 9, 11 1:05 AM
BlackWaterRules wrote:I'll try posting in techno thread. We should have done that the first time it happened.

Hi there,
...and if you have a solution maybe this could help others if you pop back in here.
Hope you get your answer soon.
Cheers.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on May 9, 11 1:15 AM
BlackWaterRules wrote:I'll try posting in techno thread. We should have done that the first time it happened.

If this is also happening with other games, you may want to contact Customer Support on the right, to see if they may be able to help you with the problems with DirectX and your computer.

Edited on 05/09/2011 at 1:16:01 AM PST

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on May 9, 11 1:16 AM
I will. thanks.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 9, 11 1:45 AM
Bing is a Microsoft "rape" of it's customers! A day before I installed an update from Microsoft - didn't notice that I am offered Internet Explorer 9.

Besides the mess this update has done to my home page ( - error scripts all over my links - I noticed that Bing also was installed in my comp, with "search" priority above Google and Yahoo.

I had to call a technician, in order to restore the previous format of my home page, and to uninstall IE 9 + Bing.

After that I phoned my Local Microsoft branch, blamed them of cheating the customers, and threat to sue them, if they try to "rape" my computer without asking me for permission (especially about installing Bing).

I suggest you all to contact your Local Microsoft branch and do the same. May be the company will retreat from such a brutal behavior!

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on May 9, 11 2:26 AM
BlackWaterRules wrote:Well, this is one of the times when the game does not work. Darn. Does anyone know if there is anyway around this? Is it because I have a triple firewall ? A lot of the games work when we download them but when that DirectX comes up, even though I consent to the download, they do not work.,

You could try turning your firewalls off while you install the games from BFG - we all know that they are safe downloads!!

Just curious, why the heck do you have three firewalls?
I can see two - your PC and your router... what is the other one for?

unclewally
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by unclewally on May 9, 11 2:57 AM
Poof11 wrote:Its funny, I have never had the Bing toolbar thing ever come up when they check to see if my Direct X is up to date. I have wondered if it could be due to me deleting Bing completely from the search provider section in IE and from my computer. I know this is a pet peeve of some of you, not sure if this is the reason though but it may be worth a shot. Good Luck
Have fun gaming fishies and Have a Great Monday!

I wish I knew enough about "puters to completely eradicate bing from my "world." It just keeps popping up everywhere! I am so sick of it!

While I'm whinging I may as well bring up IE9 and Firefox 4.0. Both of those have more bugs than the kitchen at a $3.99 buffet!!! Silly me, I got tricked into D/L'ing both and spent the next few hours in purgatory trying to rid my PC of them.
unclewally

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on May 9, 11 3:56 AM
UNCLEWALLY!! Where have ya been buddy??

Nice to see you in the forums. I took your advice and avoided Firefox 4.0, so I still have 3.6.16 (or some version like that) I just kept the same version I had on my old PC when I got this one last month. Um... did you forget to heed your own advice? Just askin...

Do you have the AdBlock Plus add on for Firefox? I don't ever get pop-ups, bing annoyances or ads of any kind. It is the best add-on I have for Firefox I think and it is the best thing since sliced bread. (Who the heck ever made up that phrase?? What is so great about sliced bread??? What was before that? You ripped chunks off a loaf? LOLOL)

Drop in once in a while Unc... come chat with us in the Chit chat and Rants thread. One or another of us starts that thread up pretty much as soon as the game forum goes up. It is fun in there - you don't have to limit your chatter to the game du jour - anything goes...

Toodles...

unclewally
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by unclewally on May 9, 11 7:12 AM
Great to hear from you shadow! When I advised you to stay away from Firefox 4.0 I had already been in the trenches and was barely able to escape unscathed! Same with IE9. What a joke they are. I do have Adblock plus but I don't know how to set it up to block bing. It does a great job on everything else though. I guess I only get the bing pop-up when I use IE8, which is very seldom. I need to see if adblock can be added to IE.

I'll come huntin' you down tomorrow.
unclewally

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on May 9, 11 1:09 PM
Hi everyone. After reading UncleWally's reply I figured I'd post how I got rid of Bing from my IE.
1. On the right side of IE go to the pull down arrow at the search box.
2. Click on manage search providers.
3. Now click on Bing to remove (if it is still listed).
4. Make sure whatever search engine you want is your default.
Also, notice at the bottom of this page it has a box to prevent programs from suggesting changes to my default search provider...Make sure this is checked. Save and close.
I hope this will help for future Bing attacks. You can also go into your uninstall/install programs files and remove any further files of Bing.
Good Luck

BP532
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by BP532 on May 9, 11 1:56 PM
When these come up it is so annoying, it makes me not want to ever use the application. One game site hijacks your homepage and search preference and changes it to their site. Ugh! You really have to be vigilant.

[Post New]by midnightmoose on May 9, 11 3:15 PM
Poof11 wrote:Hi everyone. After reading UncleWally's reply I figured I'd post how I got rid of Bing from my IE.
1. On the right side of IE go to the pull down arrow at the search box.
2. Click on manage search providers.
3. Now click on Bing to remove (if it is still listed).
4. Make sure whatever search engine you want is your default.
Also, notice at the bottom of this page it has a box to prevent programs from suggesting changes to my default search provider...Make sure this is checked. Save and close.
I hope this will help for future Bing attacks. You can also go into your uninstall/install programs files and remove any further files of Bing.
Good Luck

Poof11, I've tried this, but the box to remove Bing is greyed out, and I can not click on it! I've disabled it, and my preferred search engine comes up when I need it, but I can't get rid of that blasted Bing bar on the top of my screen! I've gone into my uninstall programs files, and Bing does not even show up. Any further ideas for me?

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on May 9, 11 4:24 PM
Midnightmoose,
When you are in the add-ons box (manage search provider) try going to toolbars and extensions and see if any of the Bing stuff is there (make sure to check all add-ons, not just currently running one). Disable it or see if you can delete it completely.
When you are in the search provider list try right clicking on the Bing thingy and see if it will let you delete it from there.
You may also want to check to see if Bing is listed in your internet options on the home page, if so delete it.
Make sure you close and restart IE after making changes.
I also just found out from PC World Mag site that Yahoo made a deal with Bing, so if Yahoo is your search provider, you will be getting search results via Bing and that can also be part of the problem.
I really hope this helps some of you since I remember how frustrated I was when I first got my new computer and loathed Bing.
Now, if I could only figure out how to not have my picture show up on a page I am browsing and Facebook asking me to comment, I'd be happy.

[Post New]by midnightmoose on May 9, 11 4:49 PM
Poof11,

Thanks for getting back to me so soon! I've tried everything you listed except checking to see if Bing is listed in my internet options on the home page. I'm embarrassed to say I'm not sure which home page you mean. I've played around with my settings, and if I choose to add Google (my search provider) onto my toolbar, it removes Bing. But since I don't like a lot of stuff cluttering up the top of my computer (silly me, wanting space to actually SEE the important things going on below) If I disable Google on the toolbar, guess what pops right back up there? Arghh!!! When I get back from picking my DD up I'll try again.

Go to: