AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

The Six Big Questions

[Post New]by AvgSpock on May 14, 11 12:47 AM
Hi Fishies

If you would be so kind, fishies interested in purchasing this game would like to know the answers to these questions. These are questions to people who have finished either the CE or SE of the game.

This thread topic is for these questions only, however please feel free to mention that you have made a full review in the C & R thread. Many of us are still interested in other things that you have to say. If your review contains only answers to these questions then by all means do copy it here. We wouldn't want to miss it!

We are hoping this will be quick and easy to scan as well as remain a Spoiler Free zone since we have not bought or played the game yet.

You may answer any or all of the questions that you would be willing to share. Thanks for your participation.
Thanks to Bpup for coming up with the questionnaire.

You can copy and paste them into your reply if you like or you can simply hit quote and delete everything but the questions before posting.

1) How far into the game did you get with the demo portion?

2) How long did it take you to complete the game?

3) What is the length of the bonus play in the CE edition and does it add to the story?

4) Is the story coherent and does it resolve itself satisfactorily?

5) How would you classify this game?
Here's where you would mention HOGs, FROGs, type of puzzles, inventory usage, junkpile scenes, re-used scenes, excessive wandering, etc.

6) Would you recommend this game to others?
Here's where you would mention if there was anything in this game to which people should be alerted? eg giant flashes of light, spiders, snakes etc.

Edited on 05/14/2011 at 10:04:17 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:The Six Big Questions

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on May 14, 11 1:28 AM
Hi,
There is one BIG omission to your questionnaire.
7. Was there anything in this game to which people should be alerted? eg giant flashes of light.
Answer for this game - cherbtoo's fluffy!!
Cheers.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on May 14, 11 2:34 AM
Question 1
I had about 10 min of Chpt 2 left at the end of my demo time. I don't speed through games to see how fast I can do them, but rather enjoy as I go along. I did not skip any puzzles and rather enjoyed the ones that I did. They were not difficult but fun to solve. The creepies of this game were appropriate for the atmosphere of the game. Liked it.

Edited to add:

1-3/4 Chapters

4-1/2 to 5 hours

3) What is the length of the bonus play in the CE edition and does it add to the story?
N/A

Yes

iHOG, inventory used, good game flow, good design without excessive wandering, good Hint system, clear H0 scenes.

Yes

I have included a complete review in the C&R thread.

Since there is a 2nd C&R today, it seems that the Official one may remain true to its purpose of Reviews -- mostly anyway. (At least the comments are about the game today in the Official C&R thread.)

There is NO large Fluffy spider in the game.
(But there is a large bunny.)
There are Bright FLASHING Lights.

Edited on 05/14/2011 at 8:13:00 AM PST

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on May 14, 11 6:29 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Hi,
There is one BIG omission to your questionnaire.
7. Was there anything in this game to which people should be alerted? eg giant flashes of light.
Answer for this game - cherbtoo's fluffy!!
Cheers.

That sort of information - about flashes of light, too many spiders, etc., could be included in Question 6 regarding recommending the game. That's sort of the catch-all question where people can be as free-form as they like and add whatever bits of information they want. Otherwise it would be too easy for the list to become the "15 Big Questions" or more - lol.

The point of the questions was to let people get a quick overview of the game and quick answers to the most-asked-for information, since there's been so much friction of late as to what constitutes a "comment" or a "review" and what should be included in threads labeled with those terms. Folks can post whatever they want in those threads; these questions were just meant to cherry-pick the key information.

Thanks to AvgSpock for creating this thread.

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on May 14, 11 8:21 AM
Thank you for your reply DragonLadyOz and also for the tip! Many fishies are interested in that information too so, I have edited the question 5 to include that under it as Bpup suggested.

Thanks for your reply mcurty and as long as your review contains answers to these questions only than I think it is ok to copy it here. A partial copy and tip off to check your review for further information helps too. We are still interested in other things written in reviews and knowing which poster to scan for helps. I'll trust your judgement on what you think is more appropriate.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on May 14, 11 8:48 AM
Thanks Avg,
I did it this way today, because the main C&R thread is pretty much on topic. The early one, fishie created, seemed to take care of the OT Comments.

If the regular C&R get congested, I'll keep reviews etc to this thread hoping it will be easier to read. Though I'd just put the minimum here for anyone who cares.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on May 14, 11 9:33 AM

I've not looked at this particular game as yet but I have to say that this is a TERRIFIC thread and makes it really nice and EASY to research a game.

Thanks for starting this thread.

MEnr56

AvgSpock
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,044 Posts

[Post New]by AvgSpock on May 14, 11 10:12 AM
Hi MEnr56 ,

Thanks so much for your reply. It seems to have gotten some hits so I think even more people may be interested.

Hopefully as time goes on more folks will finish the game and post their answers.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 14, 11 10:17 AM
How long did it take you to complete the game?
this was pretty much a 3-1/2 to 4 hour game for me, good length

What is the length of the bonus play in the CE edition and does it add to the story? SUPER spoiler - the bonus gameplay is an offshoot from the main game and deals with resolving the conflict at its base - turns out that [Richard] didn't do this because he wanted to, but because he was tricked, too! so the bonus involves going to the source and cutting her down

Is the story coherent and does it resolve itself satisfactorily?
i think the story ends just fine in the main game and it leaves you looking at the story in pretty much the same way that you have throughout the entire game... he's a creep and you get to save your sister from him and put all the other women's souls to rest... what's not to like about that?
the bonus changes the way you look at things and more or less turns everything on its ear... even creeps can be manipulated by bigger creeps

How would you classify this game?
some folks like the new HOPA [hidden object puzzle adventure] designation for games like this... if you haven't graduated to the full onslaught of double sneaker duty - there are short cuts that open up to you throughout the game, allowing you to simply go forward... but in the beginning, there is quite a bit of the traipsing about

Would you recommend this game to others?
yes, it was a good game with good graphics and music, clear hidden object scenes and do-able puzzles... i would say, however, that if you get a little confused about which path is which... it definitely comes in handy to make yourself a little map and make notes about where you saw what and what you need to do there...

fairjuno
Clownfish
Clownfish
936 Posts

[Post New]by fairjuno on May 14, 11 10:55 AM
Since it's been 5 weeks since the release of the CE and I've played many games since then, I don't remember. But I do know that I had lots of time left.

5 hours for the main part of the game, 2 hours for the bonus level. I'm not slow, but I like to take my time when I can...not rush through and try to figure things out for myself. Although I did have to use the SG for some parts of this game.

Approximately 2 hours. Ember did a good job of explaining the bonus chapter.

Yes

Adventure, iHOG, clear scenes though some items may be tricky for some, inventory items picked up along the way and used fairly quickly, good puzzles, no excessive wandering as mcurty pointed out. I was a bit thrown off because the game does change near the middle. It's not quite as dark as I would've expected considering the beginning. But it is still interesting and any uncertainty I might've had quickly dissipated. (Just to clarify...I'm one of those that loves dark and eerie games.)

Yes.

Great thread. I look forward to more threads like this when I'm looking into some good games.

bhoney1
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by bhoney1 on May 14, 11 10:24 PM
Thank you for starting this thread, and to those who replied. It was SUPER helpful. I hope to see a similar thread show up in some of the other game forums.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pgillenw on May 30, 11 12:54 PM
Six big questions are useful. Since I enjoy games that are lengthy and can be played without timers and a puzzle skip if I need it the analysis is useful.

It would be helpful if BF had the ability to let us know if a game although not certified to run on Win 7, some gamers however was successful.

It would also be useful to know, or sign-up, for alerters on pre-release of games or including alerts of games that were not certified to run on a specific platform but now is ready for prime time.

Thanks for your attempts to provide gamers with more information and thus a better experience with your Forum information.

[Post New]by robindrake29 on May 12, 12 9:53 AM
Thanks to avgSpock for posting this thread! As you can see by the date, I read your original message almost exactly a year after it was originally posted. Those of you who post questions and comments to the forum early in the life of a game can see that your efforts are noted and appreciated for far longer than you probably intended - or even imagined.

This particular idea really deserves applause. It's the first time I can recall someone in a forum asking the questions for which I wanted answers before buying and playing a game. It would really help to allay the uncertainty many of us feel when trying to choose between the SE and the CE.

I've purchased and played hundreds of games from Big Fish. I don't always read the forums before purchasing a game, but I certainly would if I could expect to find this kind of useful information, especially if I really enjoyed playing the demo. (I learned quickly never to purchase a game without playing the demo first.)

Without having such a condensed question-and-answer format to read for most games, I tend to buy the SE rather than the CE, unless I know from previous games in the same series that I'll want to experience all the available action the game offers. (Mystery Case Files and Midnight Mysteries are good examples.) After finishing the SE, if I really enjoyed the game I check comments on the forum to see whether the additions in the CE would make it worth my time and effort to upgrade. I don't care about wallpapers or soundtracks; I'm looking for additional gameplay and possibly twists to the storyline. In most cases, the comments show me that the upgrade probably wouldn't be worthwhile.

Both positive and negative comments are appreciated and helpful. I just wanted to say thanks to all posters - particularly to thoughtful people like avgSpock - from the doubtless very many people who read and learn from your posts, even if we simply lurk and never respond.

robindrake29

P.S. I will be upgrading to the CE for this game, despite uneasiness about the giant spider!

P.P.S. For those who don't know, BFG will credit you for the SE after you purchase the CE, and the tech folks can usually help you to upgrade without restarting the game from scratch, so you can jump right into the bonus stuff.

Go to: