Giant Spider Removed!

[Post New]by Love_my_Husky on May 14, 11 5:44 AM
I demo'ed the CE, but decided to wait for the SE. Played through the trial of the SE this am and noticed that the giant spider in the little shed has been removed from it's web by the developers (the one where you have to use a flashlight in the H0 scene).

I'm not a big fan of spiders and took a lot of pride in being able to get through that H0 scene in the CE. I'm disapponted to see that the spider has been removed from the SE. Plus, the cursor moves like molasses in the SE, but not the case for me with the CE. I'm thinking about buying the CE now, but wondering if the giant spider has been removed from it, as well, in the updated version that they released. Does anyone with the updated version of the CE know the answer?

Edited for clarity.

Edited on 05/14/2011 at 9:24:34 AM PST

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

Re:Giant Spider Removed!

[Post New]by mcurty on May 14, 11 7:17 AM
I played the entire SE and had no cursor lag problems.
If there was a giant spider, I didn't see it anywhere.
The largest spider I saw was the one you caught and put on the door.

fairjuno
Clownfish
Clownfish
936 Posts

[Post New]by fairjuno on May 14, 11 10:05 AM
I just downloaded the CE to check and the giant spider is still there.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on May 14, 11 10:27 AM
Maybe the Giant Spider is a CE only enhancement?

[Post New]by Love_my_Husky on May 14, 11 11:07 AM
Thanks Fairjuno! Since my trial time for the CE had expired I would have had no way of knowing without your time and trouble! Happy gaming!

NormanFan
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by NormanFan on May 14, 11 11:28 AM
I'm totally with you, Love_my_Husky ! I don't know if you saw my post in the CE forum about the Spider Alert, but it took me 3 weeks to get up the nerve to play past that scene. It was a MAJOR accomplishment for me to work past my biggest fear and I was really proud of myself!

It seems really weird, but I'm disappointed that the SE has been (for want of a better word) "dumbed down". Not sure what else is missing (since I only got into the house when my time ran out), but now I won't know what else I may be missing out on by not being able to afford the CE.

I realize that those of us who can (or choose to) only buy the SE lose out on the extras and Bonus gameplay, but I didn't know that they would also take out parts of the regular game, too !

I'm still going to DL, since the actual story got me interested enough to get past Fluffy in the first place, but it's going to be with mixed feelings.

Enjoy, all!

fairjuno
Clownfish
Clownfish
936 Posts

[Post New]by fairjuno on May 14, 11 2:41 PM
Love_my_Husky wrote:Thanks Fairjuno! Since my trial time for the CE had expired I would have had no way of knowing without your time and trouble! Happy gaming!

No problem at all. I can't believe they would go and take things out of the regular game. But there were a lot of people complaining about spiders. Maybe they thought they'd get more sales.

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on May 14, 11 11:19 PM
I understand why developers use lots of spiders and (shudder) snakes, but people did complain a lot about the spiders in the CE forum for this game. The developers probably don't have these phobias, but I think it's nice that the recognize that some people do and toned the spiders down. I'm sure the developers do want to sell games, but they probably also want us to enjoy them.

ravensgone
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by ravensgone on May 15, 11 12:42 AM
My cat happened to choose the worst time to choke on a hairball when I was playing the demo for the ce. Missed at least half of it and never saw the giant spider. I, personally, have an aversion to spiders, meaning they seriously creep me out when I see them in the flesh, which makes a game displaying something I pretty much hate, that can't actually hurt me, very entertaining, shock factor I suppose. Haven't played the demo yet for the se, but have been waiting impatiently for it. I hope so badly that everyone is mistaken about the giant spider being removed. I mean like wtf, just because some ppl don't want to see it, and experience it within the game, doesn't mean we all don't. I'm so tired of some ppl trying to make a strict guideline of what's ok and what isn't and speaking for the rest of us, no one wanted human experimentation for anomalies, now no one wants spiders. Come on guys, if you don't like the content, go on to the next choice, don't sit on a soap box for the rest of us. Let us decide for ourselves, and stop trying to dictate what's acceptable and what isn't, and trying to make everyone else jump on the band wagon, we're all adults here, we all have the ability to just turn it off. Sigh, sorry to go off on a tangent, but everyone has their own tastes, let the developers make it and let us have at it, anyone who doesn't like it, move on to something you can handle

fairjuno
Clownfish
Clownfish
936 Posts

[Post New]by fairjuno on May 15, 11 12:47 AM
Lucy1997 wrote:I understand why developers use lots of spiders and (shudder) snakes, but people did complain a lot about the spiders in the CE forum for this game. The developers probably don't have these phobias, but I think it's nice that the recognize that some people do and toned the spiders down. I'm sure the developers do want to sell games, but they probably also want us to enjoy them.

I agree. They do go to a lot of trouble to make us happy. I was just saying that since so many people seemed to hate the spiders in the CE, they probably didn't get half the sales that they usually might have. That could just be a part of the reason they changed the SE.

Like I said in another thread, these devs are damned if they do and damned if they don't. Can't please everyone.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 16, 11 4:35 AM
mcurty wrote:Maybe the Giant Spider is a CE only enhancement?

No, I don`t belived that. I think they took off the spider from the SE because a LOT of people complaint about it - I was one of them.

I want to thank the developers for removing that really repulsive-looking MOVING spider from that room. I had a lot of trouble getting through the H0 scene with it in there when I demoed the CE and did not want to buy the game because of it.

But now that the spider has been removed, I am going to buy the SE. Thanks very much for listening to all of us who were repulsed by that spider.

fairjuno
Clownfish
Clownfish
936 Posts

[Post New]by fairjuno on May 16, 11 10:22 AM
Well, I'm glad the removal of that spider did at least someone good.

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on May 20, 11 6:48 PM
I think it was "dumbed down" because the sheer volume of people who are afraid of spiders. They don't bother me, but one game had to click on a very realistic moving millipede and I hesitated a moment before I clicked on it. I doubt I could play a game with a lot of them in it. I listen to my neighbors teaching their kids to be afraid of spiders and wish they would stop and think for a moment and not pass down their fears. We have very few toxic spiders here but tons of harmless large garden spiders. Being creeped out by them must be awful. One place we had wolf spiders, I have to admit that kind creeps me out even though they are harmless.

[Post New]by Suckafish on May 25, 11 4:59 PM
Look, I'm not crazy about spiders either, and I might freak out.....if I looked down and saw one on my hand! These are GAMES for Pete's sake and it seems to me that we should all be mature enough to get a grip and play a game with a fake spider in it! I think the developers should put what they want in these games and post a warning for all you who are squeamish. WARNING: "This game contains fake spiders" (or snakes, or bugs, or worms, or blood, etc.)

[Post New]by amiodarkness on Jun 10, 11 7:45 AM
I personally bought the SE because of how "creepy" it was. The story is entertaining although they have revamped the same one over and over. This one was fun for me because of it's shock factor. I also cannot stand spiders and the big spider in the room was hard to deal with, but I would have never asked the developers to take it out. That's ridiculous! I'm so irritated about it that I don't want the game anymore and I'd rather have my money back.

[Post New]by Leila_Mills on Jun 20, 11 2:02 AM
amiodarkness wrote: but I would have never asked the developers to take it out. That's ridiculous! I'm so irritated about it that I don't want the game anymore and I'd rather have my money back.

I believe this very situation is rather interesting - there is something in the game and there are comments about it, and the someone doens't like it and then pheow and the thing is removed.
I'd not like to have my money back anyways.

Go to: