theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Brunhilda and the Dark Crystal

[Post New]by theoldbag on Jul 25, 11 5:58 PM
Somehow I missed this one last year when it came out but searching for a game to get with some credits and this looked interesting and after checking reviews from some of the pros here I decided to try it. So glad I did! I am halfway through the game and having a ball with it. Just wish I could tell the developers that. I am 74 yrs old and some of items are small even on my 22 " monitor but I am squinting through it anyhow and just need a little help once in a while from that little creature in the corner. It's a bright and fun game instead of all the dark ones both in theme and picture we have too often. Thanks BF and developers!

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Jul 27, 11 9:31 PM
Just finished! What fun!

[Post New]by gameplayer300 on Oct 6, 11 11:19 AM
Starts out as a good game but does the same thing over and over quite boring

Bobbie53
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Bobbie53 on Oct 6, 11 4:26 PM
This game is great. There is a lot going on, no time to get bored, very entertaining. I have nine minutes to go and will be buying this game.

I made a promise for this month to buy all DDs I don't own that are decent since BF is pitching in on a good cause. Thank you BF.

candycreme
Clownfish
Clownfish
548 Posts

[Post New]by candycreme on Oct 6, 11 5:53 PM
I really wanted to play this game ,tried it ,but couldn't items very very small. I am sooo dissapointed!

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Oct 7, 11 9:54 PM
I am having so very much fun with this game!

The little "demon" is so funny...sometimes sarcastic...and very very helpful! Nothing occult in this game at all so far. For once, I have left the speakers on to hear the voices of the different characters although I turned the music way down so I didn't hear it.

(Possible spoiler)
The navigation is a bit different (I didn't even notice that some items couldn't be found in a particular scene for quite some time of playing...once I did, I had much less trouble!)

Yes, some of the items are small, but the demon is so very helpful and the hint recharges quite quickly. I used it mostly on the last item I needed to find so I could go on with the game. I think I found only 2 different mini-games (repeated quite often) and really didn't care for either one but they are very easy.

I've just made it to "Arabia" and played a bit of that level. This seems to be quite a long game...and I'm very much pleased with it!

Give it a chance...you may just like it, too!!!

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Oct 8, 11 10:49 AM
I found this game to be a very whimsical type of HOS. Great graphics & a refreshing story line. It is a very long game but I am glad I purchased it because some of the proceeds go towards finding a cure for cancer.

I do agree with some of the items being somewhat small to find. Thanks goodness for the magnifier.

Edited on 10/08/2011 at 10:50:40 AM PST

menora
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by menora on Oct 9, 11 2:23 AM
I bought this game because I liked it at first but am beginning to get annoyed at the number of tiny things you need to find in the later chapters and am skipping through using hints quite a lot. It is a good game but if you don't like using the magnifier a lot it might not be for you

unknitter
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by unknitter on Oct 9, 11 2:15 PM
I like this game because it's amusing, lighthearted and different. After hours of play I thought I must be nearing the end, but when I checked the walkthrough I found that I'm barely half way! I agree that a lot of the items are very tiny and hard to see. At first I thought it was because Brunhilda was in a miniature world, but that's not true throughout the game.

I did have some technical problems. When the trial ended it didn't save my progress and I had to start over. Got through to the same spot and the game crashed. I closed and reopened the game manager but then the game wouldn't load. At that point I was about to give up but I tried again. It loaded and I started from the beginning for the third time (3 strikes and you're out!). This time I did a save/exit before getting as far and haven't had any more problems. I hope I didn't discourage anyone from trying this game. It's really a good one and I'm enjoying it.

Kathyju77
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Kathyju77 on Oct 9, 11 3:18 PM
I am totally enjoying this game. Very simple for a nice change from all the drama. LOL! I do have to use the magnifier as some items are Very samll But that's why it's there.

Kathyju77
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Kathyju77 on Oct 9, 11 3:18 PM
I am totally enjoying this game. Very simple for a nice change from all the drama. LOL! I do have to use the magnifier as some items are Very small But that's why it's there.

Kathyju77
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Kathyju77 on Oct 9, 11 3:20 PM
I am totally enjoying this simple game. Nice change from all the drama! LOL! I have used the magnifier as some items are very small but that's why it's there.

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Oct 29, 11 2:48 PM
Disliked this game, the characters were annoying, didn't have any endearing qualities, didn't care what her goal was. Most stories would let you leap into the other world, but you had to go to shrink yourself and meet rats, well so off putting, I closed it there and then.

The Graphics were not good for me, its that everything is being viewed from a distance, even when she is speaking to the Man before she enters the apartment, she is in the distance, when she is in the apartment, she is standing at a distance. Perhaps the developers thought of trying to get a lot in one picture, but that was annoying, and it doesn't help me to be engaged in the game, no wonder we had to use the magnifying glass to find the things that we needed.

It wasn't a hard game, it was an annoying one.

Edited on 10/29/2011 at 2:50:14 PM PST

318Pisces
Clownfish
Clownfish
642 Posts

[Post New]by 318Pisces on Feb 9, 12 10:12 PM
Objects were too little to find!
Too repititious!

Edited on 02/09/2012 at 10:12:30 PM PST

[Post New]by GoGoBlue on Apr 11, 12 5:23 AM
I love this game!!! The characters were cute and the demon was really funny. I stayed up all night playing this game start to finish! It's pretty long, but so enjoyable. I love collecting things to complete a task, which is what this game is all about. I didn't have to use the magnifying glass like other post's mentioned. But I'm in my ealy 30's, maybe that's why.

Possible Spoiler -
They hinted at a sequal. I really hope they make one. I will buy it for sure!

[Post New]by teenytinytina on Apr 14, 12 10:10 PM
I thought this game was really fun and charming. I liked the little devil guy's snarkiness and help along the way. I'm hoping there will be more Brunhilda games in the future!

[Post New]by BlueHolocaust on Aug 30, 12 9:56 AM
Both thumbs up! I loved this one. The graphics reminded me a little of the early Discworld games (and Josh Kirby's covers!), but they're up to date and clear - they have to be, as some of the hidden objects are pretty hard. For me, that's a plus! Beautiful use of colour, decent music, nice (if a little simple) plot, AWESOME sense of humour. I started looking for the sequel as soon as I'd finished.

One minor niggle - Brunhilda's voice acting. She's a little flat and she can't pronounce "Filemon".

Other than that, pretty much flawless! I'm waiting in anticipation for Brunhilda II.

notdeadyet
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by notdeadyet on Dec 11, 12 5:23 PM
This is an excellent game,as all Codeminion games are. The characters and
and graphics are neat. The story is interesting. This is a sort of modern Alice in Wonderland.It has two modes,casual and challenging so I can play it even with my arthritis. in my hands.

Swtmb
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
426 Posts

[Post New]by Swtmb on Jul 3, 13 5:10 PM
I am really enjoying this game. My favorite are hidden object games without adventure. It is also a long game with lots of fun hidden objects to find in many scenes. I wish there was a Brunhilda 2.

PMcOuntryGirl
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by PMcOuntryGirl on Sep 28, 13 10:23 PM
I finally got around to playing this game, which I bought ages ago when it came out. This game is really fun, but can also be very frustrating.

Pros:
1. Great graphics! Hand drawn sketches in cartoon style.
2. Story line is fun and has lots of twists and turns.
3. Includes a lot of humor, although some a bit dark.

Examples: Like when you have to send cute little bunnies to their death with evil fairies in order to progress... I'm still sad over those poor rabbits! There is also a unicorn carcass. At least one comment contained "innuendos" when it came to the sultan and his many, many wives...

4. Your side-kick, a demon, is funny and very helpful.
5. Quick fill on hints.
6. Skip on mini-games.
7. Long game! There are 10 chapters, each of which took me about 30 minutes using hints. I probably spent nearly 5 hours on the game itself. Had I not used hints, I would have spent longer, but would also have gotten a headache from squinting at the screen and I was wearing glasses!
8. Voice overs were spot on! I loved hearing all the different voices from all the different characters and there were tons! I accidentally left this out of my main review on the game, so I'm adding it to this one.

Cons:
1. The game tells you objects to find, but not like a regular HOS, instead it is your goal - usually to create a magical spell - and it lists what the item is, how many you need, and shows a sketch. Yes, a sketch. A very small sketch. Not a true picture so it becomes a sort of guessing game.
Note: The hidden items are scattered in various scenes. This is not a con, just a note.
2. The hidden items can be very, very small. Frustratingly small, and because they are hand drawn, nearly impossible to find w/o a hint.
3. The mini-games, of which there are three, are easy and boring. Incredibly boring. They do not add to the game play, they take away from the game play!
4. Possible Con: There is quite a bit of swearing in the game, nothing major, but I don't think I'd want a small child to play it. As an adult, it didn't bother me.

At the end of the game, if you did well on the mini-games, you can replay them! Fun! Not! The game hints at a possible sequel, to which I've discovered there will not be one. Shame, even though the game is frustrating on several levels, I had hoped to see Brunhilda continue her adventures.

Go to: