genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Seawise Chronicles: Untamed Legacy

[Post New]by genkicoll on Sep 28, 10 12:38 PM
The Seawise Chronicles: Untamed Legacy (FROG/IHOG)

The game starts out with a narrator describing something from his past. Any text you see during flashbacks will not have voice overs, but the narrator text is spoken.

The story is Skippable, but you cannot click through it to make it faster.

Music and sound effects are separately adjustable, and there is a full-screen option. There is no option to turn off the custom cursor.

The music is creepy and dramatic without being disturbing - nice and environmental.

You start out on a fragmented object scene where you can see what the pieces you're supposed to find look like... and yet, you don't have to see them if you don't want to. Like your Windows taskbar, the list (along with options, journal, tool bag, etc) automatically minimize. This is a great option, in my opinion, for it makes for a bit more of a challenge. Not only that, but you can see the whole scene, which I really enjoy.

Something that's not immediately apparent is that the scenes scroll, much like The Clockwork Man games (though not as brilliantly executed, of course). Sometimes you have to scroll the scene a bit to find items that are hidden behind something close to you.

The HINT button is refillable, and loads up FAST! Mini-games are skippable.

There's a bit of story to read, but you can get more in-depth information by reading the journal - things that aren't really covered during the cut scenes. I do like that, making the story as immersive as you want it to be. Skip it or enjoy it, it's your choice. I think that's a great option to have.

Changing between the "clues" bar (which shows what you're to find) and the "inventory" bar (your tool bag) was a bit clumsy, but that's a personal observation. Playing a bit further, your bag actually gets an upgrade to have three different collection areas, so it makes more sense later on.

I found the artwork to be rich and delightful somehow - a nice change from what we usually see. Objects, while well-hidden, are not impossible to find, with just enough of a challenge to make it enjoyable. Looking at the screenshots, it looks like we have some classic hidden object (list) scenes, which changes my assessment from this being a FROG to an IHOG/FROG.

I like it, definitely worth a demo

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Sep 29, 10 12:47 AM
Very nice review genkicoll! Not much more to say after you

My 2 extra cents: I did find the game challenging (some things are very hidden ). The hint system is not extremely helpful at some points but it does load very quickly.
I liked the story as far as I got to despite it reminds of others.
The music was a bit exhausting as it is a very short loop, but I didn't turn it off (so it was better than some other music I've heard lately).
Something disliked was the item bag and inventory/clue bar. It can be locked so that it doesn't move automatically with the mouse approach but the locking system was IMHO not too practical either.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 16, 10 8:24 PM
I realize that I am adding to an old post but want to put my two cents in anyway. I think this would be a likable enough game, and I am a fan of FROGS, except that the game play is just too clunky and unpleasant to contend with. I am referring to the really odd and annoying way that you have to deal with the object lists/inventory bag. (Trying to shut that inventory grab bag to get back to the object list... aaah!) It is just so irritating and ungainly that I can't imagine ever finishing the game. It's a shame too - it would have been quite fun to play if it weren't for the poor mechanics, and I would have even overlooked the terrible translation to English, but because of the overall package presented here, this game is a total no buy - no finish - no thank you for me.

chillygirl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by chillygirl on Mar 27, 11 7:54 PM
I didn't get thru 15 min. of this. The inventory bag playing peek-a-boo was too much! And the sensitivity of the lower screen was pretty ridiculous. I couldn't make sense of what the game wanted half the time because I was busy trying to get control!!
Movement from one locale to the next was jerky to say the least. I think I was so frustrated by the time I got the stone puzzle uncovered that I didn't even CARE what you were supposed to do! Done and a no buy for me!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Apr 5, 11 12:08 AM
I'm torn on this one. I love the story... it's fantastic. Unique, fun, interesting and just a little creepy. lol. I love the graphics... hand done and really nice. I'm not a fan of frogs so that's an instant strike but I do like that everything you find, you use. No junky boring hog scenes to search for useless things. And the variety of things to do are awesome too.

Now the problems... it's just... well... rough I guess would be the word for it. I read this was the dev's first attempt and it's been out a while so maybe they should take it back in and rework some things now they have more experience. The zoom in areas are odd because the magnifying glass appears and you click but nothing happens... you have to find the exact right pixel to click on before it zooms. I had to use a hint on just about every one. So much of it is just not intuitive to play... I hate having to go to a walkthru every few minutes when the game isn't really that hard it's just the pickyness of the clickable spots and the tiny frog pieces. The pop up inventory was rather annoying as well.

But the game and story is really the type I love... hopefully this dev will continue with more and better...

Meritre
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by Meritre on Jun 28, 11 11:58 PM
It would be a super fun game if it weren't so choppy. Haven't had a problem with any other game, but this one freezes up for about a second at a time every time I click. Also agreed about it being difficult to click the exact right spot to get a zoom in. If you don't have the choppy graphics problems, I'd say this would be a sure-thing buy. Unfortunately for me, not the case.

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Jul 11, 11 5:07 AM
It's entertaining to read all the negative remarks for this game, because they are exactly the opposite of most of the usual HOG complaints.
Here, most are complaining:
1. they can't see the hidden objects "because of old eyes". In all seriousness, please have your eyes examined on a regular basis by an optometrist or ophthamologist for a new RX and to make sure it's nothing more serious. Consider other games to play if all HOGs are a difficulty or buy a magnifying glass if one isn't included in the game.
2. "You have to scroll over the entire screen to make sure you haven't missed anything; there is no direction; and the scene scrolls from side to side"
Usually with every other HOG SE/CE, the majority of comments have to do with the dislike of sparkles and too much handholding. Which one is it that you want? This game has neither and is mentioned alot in the above comments.
3. "this game must be for the younger set because of graphics, story, whatever"
I'm 58 and childish according to some of the previous reviews, because I enjoy fairytale themed games and sometimes easy is just fine.
I have a teenage daughter who views this game as laughable because it's too easy, story is boring and graphics are mundane. All of you that mention that this game and some of the other games "are for the younger set" usually make me chuckle because it's obvious you do not have regular contact with a school age child;
They are much more sophisticated game players, playing more advanced games than what is usually offered by BFG.
This game appears to be directed to women who just want to relax for a bit.
Childish games are marked as 'Childrens/Kids game by .
I agree that the tool bar/sack is annoying and the grammar is sub par. I finished the game, no tech problems and is good for when you don't want to pull your hair out over frustration.

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 23, 11 3:43 PM
Graphics – 3 stars
Story – 2.5 stars
Music/Sounds – 3 stars
Gameplay – 3 stars
Overall – 2.875 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

I won’t be purchasing this game at all. For those who did – Happy Gaming!

[Post New]by cousingail on Aug 29, 11 11:25 PM
I am at the place where I am under water.After the submarine. The Boy statue and Girl Statue,is where I am now. .I set the Boy Statue clock and the girl one then I realized ,The Girl one was the wrong time. Now I can't reset the clock of hers.It won't let me reset. So I can't get to the castle to open the Clam or treasure chest. So I am Totally STUCK . Great ! Does anyone know what I should do?
Start all over again ? A New game ?? Please Help...

Cousingail

[Post New]by cousingail on Aug 29, 11 11:27 PM
Meritre wrote:It would be a super fun game if it weren't so choppy. Haven't had a problem with any other game, but this one freezes up for about a second at a time every time I click. Also agreed about it being difficult to click the exact right spot to get a zoom in. If you don't have the choppy graphics problems, I'd say this would be a sure-thing buy. Unfortunately for me, not the case.

Mine isn't choppy at all. maybe it's your computer

C.G.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Sep 25, 11 11:28 AM
ponderous and slow but love cartoon-y graphics and characters....letting it go..

[Post New]by wildfire3 on Sep 25, 11 2:18 PM
Downloaded this game (60 trial) when I came to play it I couldn't see the bottom of the page so I could not access any pieces which I collected. So, I won't be buying this. Not impressed this time.

[Post New]by weddingmama on Oct 3, 11 6:57 PM
Game has too many moving parts -- the bag for one! Also, the puzzles needs to have somne information on what we are supposed to be doing. Something to start with so we know what our goal is!

kittcar
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by kittcar on Oct 23, 11 10:01 PM
One of the hardest games I've played. I liked the characters, liked most of the scenery. Liked the frog format puzzles but ...they're often difficult to see, in a dark background and very well hidden...plus you can't get all the pieces sometimes unless you go somewhere else to get the necessary item...however when you press the hint button because you have no idea what to do next. it points to the obvious for instance points at the chest that needs to be opened which is right there, rather than showing you what you need to do or where you need to go in order to find the key...some puzzles weren't skippable and since I had never encountered the one where you have to keep moving the sea monster back and forth and didn't know what to do..I was stuck there a long time. Thank heavens for online walktroughs. I didn't like the bag...up and down up and down and so many pockets..annoying. It even got in my way a few times so that I couldn't find items I needed when I was seaching. In some scenes the bag wasn't there and that was also confusing. There also weren't very many clues in the Journal as to what to do next.
YET... something has kept me coming back to this game every few days. There are some very fun and unusual puzzles, with cleverly hidden clues. I want to like The Seawise Chronicles even as it annoys me. So I'll probably finish it. However it is making me much more picky when I buy games and I am certainly using the full demo time now before buying games just to make sure that it will be something I can truly enjoy....
My recommendation for this game is only buy if you are a really really good player, if you really really like FROG type and puzzle solving games or you don't mind frequently having to check out this game's walkthrough. Otherwise save your money, I wish I had.

auds7466
Clownfish
Clownfish
652 Posts

[Post New]by auds7466 on May 27, 12 10:30 AM
thankfully i am now finished the game. graphics were dark, sound effects eerie, music irritating, mini games very challenging. the mouse was very difficult to control. come on big fish u can do better.

Edited on 05/27/2012 at 10:31:32 AM PST

Go to: