spandjw
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition

[Post New]by spandjw on Sep 27, 10 6:00 PM
Brill game a lot of running around I must have lost a lot of weight hehe but stuck at the end have all the bits but can't remember where to go to place them

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Tomsde on Sep 29, 10 6:32 PM
Great game! Many hours of happy playing. Lush graphics, gripping storyline, and excellent creepiness value without being graphically violent. I love the anachronistic Victorian look of this game and others like Redemption Cemetary, Ravenhurst II, and the Puppet Show Games. Lovely score. Please keep more like this coming, the collectors edition is worth every penny.

REQUEST: More wall paper choices. With so many lovely scenes and graphics I'd like more selections to decorate my desktop with.

Oh and thanks for making it wide scren, I'm not liking letter boxed 4:3 games much these days.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Editio

[Post New]by textrekkie on Oct 1, 10 10:52 AM
I finished playing Dark Tales - Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Edition.
There is an option to use standard or custom cursor, but alas, there is no wide-screen adjustment. One can choose to play in casual or expert mode - however the only difference is the amount of time it takes the hint button to recharge and whether or not you can skip puzzles. I played in expert mode, which means it still highlighted the hidden object scenes and unfortunately, any objects it thought I should pay attention to (which I REALLY, REALLY , REALLY resent). The graphics are as we have come to expect from this development team--extraordinary, with the sound effects enhancing the overall mystery/spooky atmosphere. The game plays very smoothly, going from scene to scene fluidly as the story develops. I did not encounter a single glitch of any sort while playing. There were a few minor typos in the script, but found them to be insignificant.
The hidden object scenes were well done, (junk pile style) with some of the objects being hidden within the scene. I found almost all objects to be of substantial enough size to be discernible without any problem. I'm more of an adventure gamer and puzzle lover than an hidden object player, but there is plenty of point and click adventuring here. The game also offers many puzzles, but most of them are easily solvable just by finding the mising piece. Of the others, many are the standard fare of Tri-Wheels, sliders, gears, milk jug, with a few innovative ones.
The strategy guide is fully integrated and can be used anytime during game play.
Playing in expert mode, using no hints and no strategy guide, skipping no puzzles, I completed the game in 8 hours over the course of 3 days. This included the bonus level. I went through the strategy guide afterwards and found it to be a very detailed step by step walkthrough, with zoomable pictures,including ones of each puzzle. Extremely well done.

Overall, I give this game four out of five stars--only because I don't like the highlights of objects while playing in expert mode. It's becoming a real thing with me.

Edited on 10/02/2010 at 8:50:54 AM PST

cjpandie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Editio

[Post New]by cjpandie on Oct 3, 10 6:23 PM
Merryweather wrote:I am absolutely STUCK. I have played through to starting the boiler to open the door 3 times and I cannot go further. The hint and help keep telling me that I must connect the wheel, which I thought I did. In the strategy guide it says to use the bolt. I don't have one, cannot locate one and feel like I must be blind.

Other than the above problem, this has been another hit for BFGames.

cjpandie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by cjpandie on Oct 3, 10 6:25 PM
[b]I am having the same problem and haven't seen where anyone told you what to do to solve that, so I suppose I have wasted my money buying this. So does anyone know what we can do? Please, I am tired of wasting money on BF games that come out on another web site later. I should have waited.

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Oct 4, 10 4:48 AM
tinkz2007 wrote:loved this game, cant wait for the regular version to come out - very rarely buy collectors edition.
Bit sad that the trial finished before the hour was up tho, still had 30 mins game time left!!

Same here & still waiting anyone any idea when this will appear? It's top of my list & don't want to use my credits & then have to wait another month to get it.

cjpandie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Editi

[Post New]by cjpandie on Oct 4, 10 7:36 PM
cjpandie wrote:
Merryweather wrote:I am absolutely STUCK. I have played through to starting the boiler to open the door 3 times and I cannot go further. The hint and help keep telling me that I must connect the wheel, which I thought I did. In the strategy guide it says to use the bolt. I don't have one, cannot locate one and feel like I must be blind.

Other than the above problem, this has been another hit for BFGames.

cjpandie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by cjpandie on Oct 4, 10 7:38 PM
[b]For the poster that had trouble with the wheel: I figured it out. The gray button to the right of the wheel has to be moved to the center of the wheel. That is a nut for the wheel. Then it will work. Hope that helps.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Oct 5, 10 12:09 PM
I will be buying the Standard Edition. It is right up my alley. Love this type of game.

littykat04941
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by littykat04941 on Oct 5, 10 12:21 PM
I love this game. I really do. The graphics are great and the HOG are fun. {not to mention i have a black cat of my own.}

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat Collector's Editi

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 7, 10 1:15 AM
pvsquare wrote:I will be buying the Standard Edition. It is right up my alley. Love this type of game.

Same here. Will buy the Standard Edition. Just wondered how long it takes for it to come out. It's now been 4 weeks!! since the CE came out.
But even the 'Drawn: Dark Flight' Standard version took 4 weeks and 4 days to come out after the CE was sold. So I suppose we will have to wait another 4 days for 'The Black Cat' SE to come out.

I really would like to know why, all of a sudden, it takes longer for the Standard version to appear, when before they always came out after 2 or (more likely) 3 weeks. But it never took over 4 weeks. My guess is that the CEs don't sell as well as expected, and therefore it takes now longer for the SE to come out so that those who are desperate to play the full game and don't want to wait so long will buy the CE version.

Edited on 10/07/2010 at 1:23:57 AM PST

SandraSwede
Shark
Shark
14,103 Posts

[Post New]by SandraSwede on Oct 14, 10 1:44 AM
Loved this game!!!
Bought the CE version.

[Post New]by shortbusdee on Nov 1, 10 10:05 AM
AmandaMarie25 wrote:I have downloaded free trial of poes black cat - halfway through - 25 mins to go and cannot get past the bit with the bench and dog at gate. also cannot find hint button to help me so guess there isnt one, even tho i am playing the game with hint button. can anyone help me? cos this is just annoying

[Post New]by shortbusdee on Nov 1, 10 10:06 AM
Pour thye water in the hole to make the ball float and give the dog the ball, cut the rope and you can get through. Diane

[Post New]by grandma_3times on Nov 7, 10 1:40 AM
I have already had trouble with this game, after playing for several hours and still in chapter one, the game started to freeze, i had to restart each time, then it stopped abruptly with a message "game file is corrupted, and to restart with a different profile. The game has froze severl times again. Does anyone know why the games are freezing? I followed the "game crashing and freezing from Big Fish and updated everything they suggested. Any other suggestions from anyone before I contact Big Fish again!

[Post New]by gabrielstands on Nov 9, 10 5:24 AM
Merryweather, did you find a way past the boiler, I am having the same problem!!!!
Bolt? WHAT bolt!
Great game tho, not too hard not a push over,

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 9, 10 5:44 AM
It's a blue nut. It's sitting all alone on the ledge part of the boiler. It goes diagonally up and left. (I can't remember if you pick it up or drag it).

Edited on 11/09/2010 at 5:44:19 AM PST

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Nov 9, 10 6:43 PM
Mr_Russ wrote:It's a blue nut. It's sitting all alone on the ledge part of the boiler. It goes diagonally up and left. (I can't remember if you pick it up or drag it).

Click. Drag. Release on center of wheel.

[Post New]by gabrielstands on Nov 10, 10 12:15 AM
Loving the game! Thanks to the fishies who helped out with the boiler agro! Am stuck again, how do you afix the pistol to the metal rod? ?! I cant work this one out!!! HELP!

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Nov 10, 10 10:39 PM
gabrielstands wrote:Loving the game! Thanks to the fishies who helped out with the boiler agro! Am stuck again, how do you afix the pistol to the metal rod? ?! I cant work this one out!!! HELP!

Hi gabrielstands! Do you mean when trying to light off the fireworks? If so, you click the rapier to the box of fireworks and then the pistol to the rapier.

Go to: