mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

Re:Your Comments And Reviews For Hidden Mysteries: Salem Secrets

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Sep 21, 11 4:17 PM
I just finished this game and LOVED it. This was an excellent, well done mystery with lots of adventure, but with just enough H0s and puzzles mixed in. The H0s and puzzles were related to the story which made them all the more interesting. It's a non-linear game (thank you very much), so I could wander around all I wanted and it added some challenge to the game. The map was very helpful, but didn't give away too much. The task list was also good and if you needed more help, you could click on the ? marks, if you chose. The graphics added to the atmosphere. The sparkles were most discreet. There was lots to do and lots of places to go. The Hint refilled quickly and I didn't note a penalty for over-clicking. I also appreciated the way the game was thought out...meaning I had some chooses as to how much hand-holding I wanted. Very good game and I'd LOVE more like them.

Starchild6
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by Starchild6 on Nov 8, 11 9:41 AM
Great game! Played well even on my ancient computer, no problems at all. Used my regular cursor, it changes to a hand and everything just like the special one (in some games, it doesn't). Hint system is perfect for me. I like spooky! Certainly not as dark as some I've played. Of course, if an area is too dark for me, I just click on it a few times in case there is something there. I guess maybe I should try to figure out how to brighten my monitor, it is a fancy one my kids got me. But clicking works just as well.

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Jan 7, 12 11:47 AM
This sounds like a good game, maybe I will try it, I have been looking for a good **** game

xmaseve24
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by xmaseve24 on Jan 7, 12 1:37 PM
enigma5619 wrote:[b] Long game...not easy....somewhat interesting...doable puzzles...not my fav graphics....the game was a liitle too boring in that it didnot spark constant interest in what would come next....i.e., just not that interesting

I think this says it all. I couldn't define exactly what I didn't like, and here it is."It's just not that interesting!" Far too many HOG's, the graphics seemed flat and colorless. I thought it might be worth the DD price, but no...sorry, just couldn't get into it.

unknitter
Clownfish
Clownfish
535 Posts

[Post New]by unknitter on Jan 11, 12 9:15 PM
The topic seemed interesting and I started out liking this game. I didn't mind the dark scenes as the graphics are good even though the coloring is dismal due to the nature of the story. Some puzzles were interesting, others not so much because the instructions weren't clear to me. The hint system is useful.

What I did mind was the needless moving back and forth from one site to another throughout the game with no rhyme or reason to it, The map wasn't much help and I found myself lost multiple times. I'd check the walkthrough only to find that even though I had just found the items I needed to accomplish a task, I was instead directed to go to some faraway site just to "observe" something. All this does is make the game nice and long for those who judge a game by that standard. It did nothing but aggravate me to the point that I was ready to ditch it long before I finished. I eventually did but I don't plan on playing it again.

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Jan 13, 12 1:00 PM
I have been looking for a new game, so I am going to give this a try after reading the reviews
Thanks everyone

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jan 17, 12 11:04 AM
I reviewed this a while ago after trying the demo; I didn't like it then. But I tried it again and bought during DD. Just finished after many days of playing in installments.

Very long game! I don't know how many hours I logged. It would have been tedious to play all at once but I enjoyed playing here and there. The story was actually rather interesting and kept me wanting to find the next girl, etc.

Although at first the 2-D graphics seemed rather flat, I actually started to like them. This one doesn't have all the bells & whistles of many new games these days. There's no moving animation in H0 scenes, for example. But as others have stated, the graphics do evoke the proper feel for the subject.

In some ways this reminded me of Green Moon, one of my favorites. I never used the walkthrough and rarely used the hint system so I spent a lot of time wandering back and forth looking for H0 scenes, etc. That was much of the fun for me as I like nonlinear games w/ very little hand holding.

For the most part I liked the puzzles. I liked the lack of instructions unless you wanted them. Sometimes I figured out the object myself, other times I'd look at the question mark in the corner. I think I only skipped 1 (maybe 2) puzzles. Overall they were a good mix, interesting, fit in w/ the feel of the game (i.e., made of wood), and not too hard.

The voiceovers were so-so. You can fast-forward through the speech which is good.

There are MANY H0 scenes and you do revisit them. I love games where you have to search around and find which H0 scene has 'reopened' when it's time to find another inventory item. This game does that a lot. I did get lost often as there's quite a large area to cover but the scenes load seamlessly and quickly so it wasn't a big deal.

The H0 scenes themselves could use some work. Items are quite small, and sort of thrown onto the scene in an odd fashion. Some H0 scenes were quite dark. Also there was a LOT of repeating in finding items (pinecones, irons, bells, for example, had to be found in almost every H0 scene). I had to use hints a few times in the H0 scenes but considering how small (and sometimes dark) the scenes were, I did pretty good. So overall I think the odd "flat" style was still mostly effective.

The ending of the SE was rather abrupt but that's all right.

Overall I'd give it a B+. I'll def. play it again some day. Worth a second look if you didn't like it the first time.

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Jan 22, 12 5:07 PM
I was surprised that the game was good. Graphics, voices (not voice overs) & story line good.

Edited on 01/22/2012 at 5:08:12 PM PST

Kassy9
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by Kassy9 on Jan 30, 12 11:23 AM
I found this to be an extremely boring game. I had forgotten that I had tried it in the past and uninstalled it after less than 30 minutes. There are so many other HOG and adventure games that have more spark than this one.

winkadink
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by winkadink on Feb 1, 12 2:19 PM
I found this game just plain old frustrating. The items are so small I find I just do a lot of clicking to find them. The scenes are too hazy and they all have grey tones so each scene really looks like the rest. The graphics are simple and not animated; not special at all. I found I did a lot of moving back and forth that was senseless. I was not impressed. Try it for yourself before you buy it. (I really don't know how I lasted the whole demo; except I probably was hoping it was going to get better but it didn't).

janey3315
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by janey3315 on Feb 1, 12 7:40 PM
omg...i loved this game and what a treat to be a $299 . It was more challenging than most HOG games on the mini puzzle part. I'm feelin good that i didn't skip any puzzles...i almost skipped the colored disc puzzle but at the last minute i tried a new stategy and it worked....

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Feb 1, 12 7:57 PM
This game is too frustrating. I'm sorry I bought it, but at least I only paid the $2.99 for it. The HOG scenes aren't the problem. They are fairly easy, even with the grayness of the scenes and some very small items. But if it weren't for the walk-through, I would not have made it as far as I did, and I'm not finding the story interesting enough to try to finish it.

Some of the items you need in the inventory have two or more parts to find and no clue where or how to obtain them without going to the walk-through.

foghatdw
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by foghatdw on Feb 12, 12 2:21 PM
I thought this game was fairly straight forward. Good graphics, game play, sound.
Not too hard, not too easy. Had to use a little side ways thinking but it made me a better player for other games that I considered to be much more difficult. A CE at an SE price, it's a deal. I wish they would make more in the same manner.
5 stars.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 28, 13 5:51 AM
It's A Long, Brown HOG

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME
This is a strictly HO only game. NO PUZZLES, NO MINI-GAMES and NO HINT!

And I’m not exaggerating when I call it LONG & BROWN. To get from one end of the main street to the other, you pass 5 HO SCENES, despite almost every door being locked and no other people around. As you venture into the surrounding area, there are more... and more... and more. Each scene is visited twice, and their numbers are legion.

The GRAPHICS on this one are old style, – so lacking in detail everything looks plastic. Though the DEFINITION is VERY GOOD for a 2010 game. But there’s NO EXCUSE for the UNREMITTING BROWNNESS of the game.

ALL the HOS, ALL the town, all the surrounding area, all the interiors are BROWN BROWN BROWN. For added cheer, there is an occasional GREY. Even when an object is coloured, for instance, red and green maraca, they STILL don’t jump out at you, because the entire scene is drenched in mist. Boring and ugly.

GAMEPLAY consists of moving through the town doing HO SCENES, (strictly STATIC - NO ANIMATION and NO INTERACTIVITY), collecting info and items to help in your case.

There is an awful lot of back and forth. With almost NO INTERACTION with other characters, NO HINT, and a MAP that tells you nothing more than a REAL MAP would, it’s often impossible to figure out what to do next, without backtracking to the beginning and trying to find what you’ve missed.

There IS a JOURNAL, and a TASK LIST, which are your only sources of information as to what is going on.

The STORY is one that’s been done by others much better (see Midnight Mysteries – Salem Witch Trials). You are Constable Hawthorne, despatched to Salem to INVESTIGATE DEATHS & DISAPPEARANCES the locals are claiming are being done by WITCHES. It is up to you to separate FACT from SUPERSTITION.

It’s a CLASSIC TALE I happen to love, and I was very DISAPPOINTED to see it dragged down to this MONOTONY.

If you can ignore the ART in this one, and you’re a DIE HARD fan of HOs, this game may still be worth a look. It does make you think.

Personally, I found this HOG was a BOAR.

Go to: