Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Empress of the Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale Collector's Editio

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 9, 11 9:05 AM
I haven´t read all the comments but I may be one of the very few fishies who found this game incredible boring.

I bought the game when it came out, and just had to force myself to keep going, and at last finished it today. Seeing what the bonus game is about, I will give that one a miss. I already hated that puzzle game where you have to add little bits to a picture, and now it continues. No thank you.

The graphics were on the whole OK, but the H0 scenes were crude. I had no fun searching for object, because in most scenes everything was mostly grey on grey.
There was a dumbbell I was supposed to have found. And all you saw was a bit of light grey - no particular shape - among a lot of other shades of grey.

Although there was a lot to be done in this game, I found it terribly boring. For most of the game I didn´t enjoy myself and wished it had been much shorter.

Also, that neverending laugh you keep hearing was really getting on my nerves, and so were the incredibly slow voices of Jacob and others.

This is one game I will never play again, and since there was a "to be continued", I doubt very much I will be playing the next instalment, not unless the graphics are clean and clear in the H0 scenes, and there is no annoying continuing background sound, and speech is faster and can be skipped. I read the text several times before the voice finished the sentence, for goodness sake.

I forgot to mention that I also didn´t care for the many flickers and glaring flashes throughout the game. Like many others, I am light-sensitive, and the continuing flashes in scenes really didn´t do it for me.

Edited on 04/09/2011 at 11:43:50 AM PST

brewcan1
Guppy
Guppy
189 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Empress of the Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale Collector's Editio

[Post New]by brewcan1 on Apr 10, 11 3:35 PM
gillydi53 wrote:Now I'm stuck be cause I wanted a game today to fill my second punchcard .Won't buy this one as i'm not keen on water themed games the DD is not to my taste at all but don't want to leave my punchcard with 5 games .As someone commented earlier I wish BF would let us carry cards over .Will have to decide whether to buy puppetshow CE !
I TOTALLY agree

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Empress of the Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale Collector's Edition

[Post New]by annacee on Apr 11, 11 6:10 AM
I loved this game and hope there will be more along this line. It is beautiful!! The artwork is first rate. There is a real feeling of immersion in a world of fantasy. The voice acting has expression and is not intrusive. Outcomes are celebrated with wonderful graphic responses.

I hope game designers will lean more towards this sort of game - not always ugly, dingy scenes, vampire stories, ghosts and destruction, murders and crimes. I am very much avoiding this type of genre now. A good adult fantasy has great appeal.

Please more like this one!! I congratulate the makers on their imaginative approach and execution.

Others like this are - Dream Chronicles series, Awakening series, Echoes of the Past series. I hope Big Fish staff pass on my comments to all the game makers above, and I hope they are encouraged to make more of these games.

FeyKina
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Empress of the Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale Collector's Edition

[Post New]by FeyKina on Apr 12, 11 1:28 AM
One of the , if not The, most beautiful casual game we have ever played. The artists should get huge props for so much creative vision and motion. Being an artist myself I know what each of those scenes took to design and they are amazing. The game play was simple and straight forward, mini games pretty easy, so what, more time to devote to gazing at the wonders of the Sky Towers!

The guardian animals were so dear and doe eyed you had to go awww...And the Zem Game you get as your bonus play looks pretty different and I look forward to getting into it.

Well done, you creators must be proud of such work...thank you!

From 2 old gamers who love a good fantasy....[u]

[Post New]by Rish_Sevtori on Apr 14, 11 7:25 AM
Game is great, played it through, one urgent important question remains: ZEM, this addicting game, can we please have it for the iphone?????????????

[Post New]by MissTickle on Apr 15, 11 3:10 AM
The game is gorgeous. Too bad about the "Empress'" voice acting. She sounds like a smug teenage girl and I keep on expecting her to go "ew", "like" or "boooring" any second now.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Apr 16, 11 4:58 PM
Man, The creators of this game & the first one is very imaginitive...wow...this game is a very unique game.. It isnt hard by any means but the graphics & detail is superb!!! I enjoyed the game very well...i like the voices they used too.

togood2be
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by togood2be on Apr 25, 11 3:26 AM
Rather disappointing that I finished the trial in 20 minutes. No buy for me, seems to be four sections. Probably a rather quick game.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on May 6, 11 6:29 AM
I liked the game very much. While it is not my favorite type of story line (I prefer the spooky mysteries) it was very enjoyable. The graphics were very colorful and surreal, and the sound effects gave an other worldly feel to the game, as was the case with the first in this series. It was a pretty easy game, but there was a lot to explore, which was sometimes a little confusing and made it somewhat more difficult. There were several times I was sure I had missed something, but it turned out I had not. The length was good also. In terms of the CE bonus content, I played some of it as I went along, which did add to the story of the game. The very end bonus section (where you unlock the Match 3 mode) was short and not particularly good - very hard on the eyes in terms of brightness.

It would have been nice to have wallpapers in the CE, since the artwork was so colorful and interesting.

All in all, a very good game and I look forward to the sequel. I am not sure it was worth a CE price, however - especially since they did not provide the traditional artwork, wallpapers, etc., which definitely would have been appropriate for a visually beautiful game like this one.

yve501
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by yve501 on May 6, 11 9:09 AM
I bought this when it first came out because I enjoyed the first game and beautiful demo. I have never finished it beacause it was so BOOOORING. Lots of running around in pretty scenes with nothing to do. A waste of money.

lentenrose
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by lentenrose on May 6, 11 4:41 PM
I prefer this to the creepy games. Enjoyed the first game so much I have to try this one but the demo that I have played looks simpler than the original.

AnnieO_2424mad
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by AnnieO_2424mad on May 8, 11 12:19 PM
Beautiful graphics, interesting puzzles, and good length. But having problems figuring out the Zem! Never thought I'd be outdone by a M3 game, but the timer keeps defeating me, LOL.

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on May 10, 11 12:05 PM
Wow! I didn't play the first one, but I will now that I've played this one.

The graphics are outstanding and you really get caught up in the fantasy realm that the creators made. It's absolutely beautiful.

Some of the puzzles were a bit too easy, but the hidden objects more than made up for that and it was fun!

I'm glad I bought this game. It's one of those that I will play again.

maggieevans
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by maggieevans on May 11, 11 1:18 PM
This is the first CE I ever bought and I have enjoyed every minute of it -- and Zem is just different enough from the usual match 3 to make it interesting. The whole game is so immersive and the artwork exquisitely rendered. I've read complaints about the voices but I thought they were just fine -- not irritating at all. I realize that's a personal preference but since others had mentioned it, I thought I'd just add my two cents since I actually liked them. It does have a lot of flashy effects and I enjoyed those, too - although I can understand if some people are sensitive to those things.

Bottom line is, while it may not be a game for everyone (and what game is, really?) for me, this game was absolutely wonderful. I do think that in general all puzzles recently have gotten easier so I wouldn't have minded a little more of a challenge there - but all in all a superior, unique experience.

juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Empress of the Deep 2: Song of the Blue Whale Collector's Editi

[Post New]by juliamadeane on May 11, 11 5:50 PM
[quote=beckins
Hardly your bad. Obviously it is mine for trying to make the point that I am cut out of reviewing the game unless I want to play an hour now and then wait who knows how long (BFG's discretion) until I get to pick up where I left off. Maybe a month. six weeks? I have been just as eager for this sequel to come out as others have been, and I don't appreciate having to wait even longer still to purchase. Perhaps this fits under "comments", more than "reviews" but no worries, I won't bother posting again.

I wanted you to know that you have been heard. I have, at times, enough discretionary $$ that I could purchase a CE version of a game if I so choose. However, for the exact reasons you raised in your ORIGINAL post -- I will NEVER purchase a CE version of any game on this site. I know it feels like those who cannot afford a CE version are relegated to a lesser-position than those who can afford them. I want to assure you that that would never have been the intent of Paul Thelan, the founder of Big Fish Games. I am certain he would be very concerned that this is the image that this company may have been garnering with the CE Program. Here's hoping that he is still out there somewhere watching over his pond.

_Les
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by _Les on May 12, 11 8:49 PM
The game was interesting, but it went too fast. I played the demo, then bought the game. I played through in less than five hours. Way too short. I haven't yet tried Zem.

Edited on 05/12/2011 at 8:51:01 PM PST

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on May 19, 11 11:49 AM
Love most of the Gogii games. The graphics were awesome. I thought the storyline was ok but we knew roughly where we were going, some of the scenes could have been a little more exciting.

I am a super slow player, getting lost constantly and finished in 4 hours. I could have done without that M3 game and more story or a cliffhanger would have been great.

Think I got my monies worth and had fun for several hours. Wish the SG would not restart from the beginning ( I had to use it alot).

Happy game day to all fishies.

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on May 28, 11 12:36 PM
I just finished playing the game and I was disappointed. Although the graphics are lovely, the game play is easy. And there is no option for selecting a level of difficulty. I have nothing against easy game; I personally do not like everything handed to me without any thought or deduction on my part. I like easy games; I'm just disappointed in this one -- after all it's a CE. It should provide the option of difficulty level.

Also, the game play dumbs down noticeably and dramatically in the second half. Episodes 5-8 take at most half the time required for episodes 1-4.

Game play is repetitive: every episode is structured the same way. The mini-games are all ones you've played before. There is a limited quantity of mini-games, and the same 2-3 are repeated over and over.

Again, another CE not worth the price. When will I learn?

Edited on 05/28/2011 at 12:37:13 PM PST

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Jun 2, 11 8:52 AM
I enjoyed this game, much like the first- bonus content was unusual, but interesting, not your average match 3 game, but I still enjoyed it.

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Aug 28, 11 5:12 PM
I enjoyed this game. Very challenging without being hopeless, even if the plot made no sense. But who looks for sense in one of these games? Also, I'm really enjoying ZEM. It made the CE worth buying.

One thing I'd appreciate, though, is if there were a way to skip through the dialogue. I turn the sound all the way off for the voices, and as fast as I read, every time a dialogue section would come up, it would bring the game to a screeching halt. Annoying, that.

Other than that, though, it's a really enjoyable game, and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Go to: