scarletgunn
Herring
Herring
390 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden Collector's Edition

[Post New]by scarletgunn on May 12, 11 6:32 PM
I made the mistake of buying this as a CE. I finished regular gameplay and haven't started the bonus gameplay, but i feel that this game was very short and fairly easy.

I did read the reviews before buying, and this was the only time i was let down. the reason why i think is because most people reviewing only played the demo- as did i- and the first part of the game was pretty good. after the demo hours was up i purchased and that's when i realized the game was actually pretty short and a bit boring- sometimes i like the easier games when i want to be lazy- but this was a yawn.

granted, i am coming off of Dark Parables so maybe that's why i find Amber Maiden simplistic. my advice- skip the chatting and play it on casual and you can probably finish it in the demo hour if you power through. otherwise, wait for the SE and play it in advanced mode.

mk1949
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Spirits of Mystery: Amber Maiden Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mk1949 on May 13, 11 5:33 PM
Just finished this game and loved it! I really got stuck a couple times, but it was worth it. Wonderful graphics, fun game play and mini puzzles, nice music. Nothing bad to say about this game. Loved it!

GraciesDD
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by GraciesDD on May 14, 11 9:38 PM
mk1949 wrote:Just finished this game and loved it! I really got stuck a couple times, but it was worth it. Wonderful graphics, fun game play and mini puzzles, nice music. Nothing bad to say about this game. Loved it!

This game was right up my alley. Loved it and the extra was good also. Don't really care too much about the length as long as I enjoy the game!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 15, 11 2:11 PM
At last I played the game. I had several others I wanted to play first and keep the best (ERS) for last.

I was not disappointed. Like the previous games, I loved this one.

What I was a little disappointed with was the fact that the little girl I had come to expect in the games, didn`t appear in this one. I really missed her. LOL

What I have noticed with this game is that the HINT button took rather a long time to recharge. I would prefer it to recharge more quickly. No reason why we should keep hanging around waiting for the recharge if we need to use a hint.

The bonus game was short, but very nicely done, and I was happy with it.

Am sooooo looking forward to the next game(s) that are all supposed to "coming soon" !

Eponia
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Eponia on May 15, 11 3:02 PM
I enjoyed this beautiful game.

[Post New]by tankzgma on May 16, 11 8:30 AM
What a great game. This one tests your ability to really look for the items in your quest. Once you finish the initial game, you get an extra game to play for the final ending. I sure hope there are more like this.

[Post New]by tafette67 on May 16, 11 9:11 AM
I am stuck ! have got to the stage where I need to find the chest to place the seahorse in - but if I go through the door on the left in the hallway - it doesnt take me to where I need to be - any help would be great - thanks

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on May 18, 11 8:40 AM
This was a beautiful, relaxing and extremely enjoyable game. Yes, it was the same old formula from these developers, but I have to say I enjoyed this one more than the last few - it really did have a magical quality. It was definitely on the easy side (on difficult mode) and not very long, but I was not disappointed in the game play at all - it was pretty much what I expected and I have to say I did love it.

I will continue to buy games from these developers in spite of their sameness, because their games really are well made and lovely, just not particularly challenging - which is sometimes fine with me. I'll just play other games when I want that element. Although - I really do wish they would make the wallpapers available at the beginning of the game and would offer widescreen adjustments - an ongoing complaint of mine...

All in all, however, an excellent game!

[Post New]by Donyale1677 on May 18, 11 11:57 AM
I was very disappointed in the bonus content. It was very easy and short. For the extra money the bonus content should at least be worth the money. I am always leary of buying the Collector's Edition for this reason. If you are considering buying this game wait for the SE. The graphics are beautiful and the game is worth a credit or the 6.99 price but not the CE price.

rtrooney
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by rtrooney on May 18, 11 3:25 PM
Loved the demo, although I thought it was a bit short. ERS seems to be taking this route. That is, allowing you play up to a certain scene rather than allowing 60 minutes of gameplay. Finished the demo in about 40 minutes. Comments, while very positive, haven't persuaded me to buy the CE version. Will wait for the SE, which, if history prevails, ought to be available on or about June 3rd. My only reservation is that on another thread, discussing another ERS game, criticism of the SE version was almost universal. In other words, the game didn't transition well from CE to SE.

skb52
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
7 Posts

[Post New]by skb52 on May 18, 11 5:08 PM
I had come to the forum prior to purchasing the full version of this game and found many negative opinions with regards to technical issues. I had decided not to buy the game at that time. But I recently purchased the game and had no problems running it, I really enjoyed the game play, it was a comfortable fit for me. My only disappointment is that I did expect a longer game for $13.99. I am not a competitive type person, I do not replay games once I've played them through, I don't really care if I can do it with less help or in less time. I'm playing the bonus game, but I'm doing it slowly so that I can feel that I've gotten my money's worth. Another thing I don't much care about is the wall paper and extras.... I have no use for them, I would rather have longer game play.

Overall, this game was a lot of fun.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on May 19, 11 9:11 AM

Wonderful game!

ERS Games Studio never fails to delight, as this game did. Castles, dragons, a royal family, an evil threat, a princess whose task it is to save the kingdom - what more can one ask for a delightful fairy tale that takes one back to the days of our childhood and flights of fancy!

I loved everything about this. ERS is like picking up a favorite old book, settling back in your favorite armchair and re-reading it again, only to find that the story has changed. I am comfortable with the beautiful graphical style of artwork from ERS. It's satisfying to be familiar with their style of art which makes it easier to spot hidden objects, and the interactive bits are always nice.

The design was just lovely - the dragon claws holding the journal, the dragon's eye for a hint button, and the elaborate dragon frame around the pop-ups. Nice touch. There were some creative ways to present the puzzles we've all seen before. Kudos to ERS for the very creative way they presented the puzzle where you have to switch all the black objects to the right and all the white objects to the left. I smiled all the way through that puzzle - very cute!

The game froze up on me only once. After I rebooted, I made sure I didn't click across the scene or down to the previous room too awfully quickly, to give the game a few seconds "to set" before moving to the next scene. It seemed in this game the delay of a few seconds for the next scene to load was a tad longer in previous games. I just made sure I didn't get into too big of a hurry after that and experienced no more problems.

While not the longest CE I've ever played, I was very satisfied with the length of the game. The story itself ended nicely enough, which should please everyone who wishes to wait to buy the SE version later. The bonus section culminates the story line very nicely. Thanks once again, ERS and BFG for several hours of splendid fun!

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on May 25, 11 5:44 PM
The graphics are lovely. The gameplay is IHOG with some HOG and minigames. The story is similar as others have mentioned. I finished the dev demo and think this is a very nice game. Not scary nor creepy which is a total buy for me. Even the witch's voice is cool sounding. Enjoyed myself!

This game is an A.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

Not worth the collector's edition price-tag!!!

[Post New]by mycatluna on May 29, 11 11:20 AM
Many posts ago, I predicted that with the release of weekly CE'S, that the quality of ERS games was beginning to go downhill and would continue to do so. There have been several released since I first said that, and they seem to be cutting corners more frequently and producing lower quality games. This is another example of that.

I am REALLY glad I did not buy this as a CE. The game took me less than three hours to complete and that's with taking breaks. And I take my time with games so I am a slower player by choice and yet I still managed to finish in a very short amount of time. Acceptable for the SE release, but not for a CE.

Also, no use for a strategy guide at all so saved money there as well.

As for the actual game-play, I played in expert mode yet felt like I was playing in Casual. I never needed to utilize the hint button, the puzzles were incredibly easy and required next to no thought, and the game was fairly linear for an Adventure Hidden Object game.

The voice acting, overall, is terrible and sounds horribly scripted. The only good voice acting came from the nanny at the very beginning.

Towards the middle to end of the game, they slacked off on recording things in the journal that should have been recorded based on previous journal entries. I, for one, like to read the journals to get my bearings and help spark memory of where I saw what. The journal worked well for the first part of the game and then it was only added to infrequently.

The storyline also had that "been there, done that" feel to it. Just discovered your the princess, must save the kingdom, yada yada. Nothing original there.

The good aspects of the game are fairly crisp graphics (there is no wide-screen correction mode but the screen did not appear stretched), the hidden object scenes are not overly cluttered nor overused, the objects are to scale and the scenes are somewhat interactive. It's also nice not to have to wander around all over the place but rather in sections, without alot of backtracking.

Overall, I'm not that impressed with this latest ERS release and hope they get back to the unique talent I know they possess rather than pumping out games as fast as possible and focusing on quantity as opposed to QUALITY. I used to be a HUGE ERS fan, but as of late, am very disappointed.

Overall, I'm glad I bought this game at this weekend's sale price, and it would not be bad for standard price, but had I bought the CE, I would be asking for a refund. 2.5 out of 5.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on May 29, 11 11:35 AM
Itsupikachu wrote:
puppycake wrote:Another great uplifting game NOT! Why can't there be just one HOG CE game every couple of months that is not dark, evil and occult! Thats not asking for much? Nice theme for Easter too, NOT. It has been months since you have produced one HOG CE game that was not full of witchcraft, demons, ghosts, potions, vampires, re-incarnations, evil spirits, ect, ect, ect! Enough is enough! You say religion cannot be discussed, and yet you produce NEW AGE games on a daily basis, which happens to be a religion. I guess it's ok to talk about religion only if it sells. This site had become 99.9% New Age, and that is allowed, but mention Christianity and your out! Something wrong with this picture."]

mycatluna:Ummm...I've studied all religions extensively in college (even the smaller, less known ones), and I can assure you, NEW AGE is not a religion. I think, perhaps, it would more correctly be called a TREND. It's not just the gaming world, but movies and TV are producing more vampire and ghost stories because people find them interesting.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and views; however, I would use care on what you label a "religion." That's heavily insinuating that those of us that enjoy playing them are part of this NEW AGE "religion" thing.

So me= ????

Edited on 05/30/2011 at 10:47:57 AM PST

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on May 30, 11 12:41 PM
super deluxe awesome...all of it!!!!!

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on May 31, 11 10:38 AM
Just so you all know...I am a happy gamer right now!! I downloaded the trial version a couple of weeks ago and began playing. First off when I saw it was ERS,that was a plus,graphics great,another plus,hidden objects..VIEWABLE!! OK so nothing but pluses so far..I finish the trial version and was feening to buy it..but I wait. Finally I decide to buy it yesterday..HOLIDAY..no work for me..great time for a good game. When I click the Install Now button man this game is HUGE!! I am that also. Thanks BFG for another good one..thanks to ERS also!!!

valerie68
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by valerie68 on Jun 5, 11 9:12 AM
Wonderful game! Beautiful graphics, absorbing puzzles, back and forth travel between scenes to place objects and not too difficult.Only criticism; a bit slow to change locations.Loved it!

[Post New]by MEBREEZE on Jun 7, 11 10:04 PM
Just finished this game. Great!! I'd give it 5 stars.

[Post New]by mysterylady123 on Jun 8, 11 9:48 AM
I am playing the EXTRAS section of Amber Maiden and in the first scene with the old woman by the fireplace I missed some items to take. Now I can't get back into that room. Can anyone HELP

Go to: