Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Chronicles: Betrayals of Love

[Post New]by Jurinne on May 21, 12 1:09 PM
This game is so irritating! I got a hint telling me to pick up the crowbar in the kitchen. Where is the kitchen? I can't find it! I've found a large dining room, a smaller dining room, some stairs with one missing (don't these people ever think that maybe they could climb up somewhere that is too high to jump?), and a bedroom.

Is the smaller dining room supposed to be the kitchen? Nobody would think that, would they? No. Nobody could think that! Everyone knows that a kitchen is where food is prepared. Don't they?

I couldn't solve the puzzle with the disc inside the arcs. So ten seconds later I get the same puzzle except that this one is more complicated. I couldn't solve the first one; how am I going to be able to solve the second one?

I've realized that so far I loathe this game. You need the key in the water. But, oh no, you just can't get your hands wet so you have to find a net to oh so delicately scoop up the key. Just wade out there and get it! You've got a missing person and a man who is shackled and facing charges of murder and you're concerned about getting wet?

And what is it with how dark a room is? Why is it that there always seems to be one room that is too dark? Oh, but you can build a fire in this room in which you can't see your hand in front of your face. And you've also picked up two torches in Hidden Object Scenes. Why not just use a torch? Because they don't get put into your inventory!

I'm just waiting for another one of those puzzles, except this one will be even more complicated.

And why is it that in every one of these games the protagonist (me) has to fix everything in sight? Oh, that doesn't work! Well, I'm going to fix it. Why?!?! That thing over there is missing a gear - I'd better put off trying to find whoever is missing and perhaps dying and find that missing part because I....well, just because.

Sorry, but I am very frustrated with this game and the general idiocy of the protagonist in most of these games. I wish I could find one in which I could actually do what I really would do.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Jun 2, 12 4:36 PM
I quit right after the third HOS where all three had objects hidden in roots and vines. And I am so tired of the "can't stick my hand in the fountain to get something" ploy. Besides, when I went to the river and picked up a net, I thought it would be for the fountain. But it didn't go into inventory, it went into the journal! I have never had objects picked up from a scene go into a journal/diary rather than inventory. And "the hat smells like fish." Well, you found it by the river; what was it supposed to smell like, roses?

Never got into a single building. Everything needed keys, and I didn't find a single key. Couldn't get enough enthusiasm built up to care. No buy, not even as the Catch of the Week that it currently is.

[Post New]by TexDad on Jun 15, 12 12:27 PM
This is a terrible game! You can tell by my “status” that I don’t ordinarily post to forums, but I was so disappointed by this game that I decided to take the time to warn others. Often in the game, particularly toward the end, in order to proceed you must go back and examine every area to see if there is a hidden object scene available. There is no map to show you where to look. You have to waste your time mindlessly retracing your steps to find a scene.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jun 29, 12 9:27 PM
well i finally finished this game after what seemed like about 3 years of playing it!
i want to say that it was boring to the extreme, but that is probably in large part because i found the h.o. scenes to be the hardest i have ever played

laurakay76
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by laurakay76 on Jul 16, 12 9:36 PM
This game drove me insane. (At last, something on which to blame it...)

No, in all seriousness, I found this game utterly ridiculous. I can't remember ever playing a game where I had to do so much running back and forth. Very little of where to find anything was remotely intuitive; I felt like I was constantly clicking on the hint button for a clue as to where I was going and what I needed to find when I got there. The worst offender has to be the final confrontation with the murderer. First I needed to collect three boards to fix the broken ladder. Then I had to get the ladder from one location. Then I needed to get nails from another location, and a hammer from yet another location. Then once I climbed the ladder, I needed to go someplace else to get a rope to lower myself. THEN I needed a weapon, which was in yet another location! Finally I got inside the building where the final confrontation was to take place...and was told that "I need something long to hang from that hook." The constant backing up to find more and more components gave me an absolute headache. I actually have not finished the game as of writing this review, because I became so thoroughly annoyed that I don't even care anymore.

The H0 puzzles were okay, but they got on my nerves too. So many of the objects were hidden behind one another or at the edges of the scene. The non-H0 puzzles were at least interesting, and challenging.

The story wasn't bad, but compared to the irritation of the running around, it felt simplistic and contrived. The graphics were a mix; the environments were beautiful and felt real, but the people, not so much. As another reviewer put it, I couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters either.

I think I bought this as a DD or COTW in order to fill up a punch card, and the reviews were positive enough to encourage the purchase. If I had it to do over, though, I wouldn't buy this one again.

hidden007
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

SLIGHT ENDING SPOILER- Review/Comments for game

[Post New]by hidden007 on Nov 9, 12 11:54 PM
This game is excellent!!! From beginning to end, this game was well worth the money!!! I enjoyed how we were required to go to different areas to solve h.o. scenes, and thus find the next "clue". No staying in one area with this game! The only thing that was just a little irritating was the drawn out ending. As soon as you think you are about to see the end, there is more to do. It got just a bit tiresome- but that could also be due to the fact that I was getting quite tired and was ready for bed- but I wanted to see the ending first. I would highly recommend this game. I hope to find more like it (even the drawn out ending)!

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Feb 3, 13 6:03 PM
I was very pleased with this game. A lot of areas to explore, the story was good and the HO scenes weren't too easy and not overly difficult, but just right. Actually the whole game felt balanced to me. Not too easy and not too hard. A good buy.

GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 25, 13 10:25 PM
GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

A Great Game for HO Lovers With A Touch Of Adventure Lite

Story: The Countess has been murdered, and the Count has disappeared. The French Commissionaire calls you in to solve the baffling mystery...

Developer: Lazy Turtle Games
Release Date: May 2011
Extras: None

I enjoyed playing this game today, though I haven’t in the past. It’s a bit dated in its style and the graphics are odd. Sometimes they seem almost photo realistic, at others more like cartoons. But they do this thing with the water that looks excellent – enough to make you thirsty.

It’s gameplay is quite good. There is a story that carries itself and gives motivation to the considerable running around needed to find clues and talk to suspects. This process involves a lot of HOs and very little else, yet maintains that feeling of being in the story that similar HO games can’t manage.

There were only a couple of puzzles, and very few ‘found’ items for inventory (everything came from HOs), except 16 torn pieces of paper which act much like collectibles and are needed to solve the final mystery.

A good afternoon's entertainment.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Apr 7, 13 11:25 PM
If you like HOS, without having to think for yourself, then this is the game for you! I however, did not care going from one location, to play a HOS, then another location, to play a HOS, and finally another location, to play a HOS....Seriously? Who could not put together that the poison came from the botanist? And sorry to say, when everyone else is present, after the murder, but there is a big ole poster saying the Count is missing, um...who could not figure that one out? Agatha Christie you are NOT! I played it through to the end, which was really irritating, because you go all over to get nails, then some more to get a hammer, but wait!! That's not good enough because it's too high, so you get to do some more running around to get the rope...finally...wait for it, you have to arm yourself before you can go down the rope! So there are two more trips all over the place. This game made me feel, as though, I've aged overnight. Not to mention the cartoonish artwork and I'm sorry to say that at the very end, this little quote they put up is foolish and ignorant. I can't even rate this game because there aren't any negative stars.

Go to: