d0080b
Stingray
Stingray
5,334 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi Collector's

[Post New]by d0080b on Jul 6, 11 4:07 PM
Too dull for me.... way too much dialog, shoddy effects not very challenging at all. Felt more like a history conspiriacy theory dissertation rather than a game. No fun.

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi Collector's

[Post New]by TnTexas on Aug 6, 11 5:35 PM
Overall Impression: a fun, well-constructed game

Media Description: The graphics are a bit dark at times, but overall they're pretty crisp and clear. It's been a few days since I played the game, but I don't remember the music standing out so it must have fit the atmosphere pretty well. I don't remember there being any voiceovers.

Storyline: The storyline was developed through a journal, interaction with various ghosts, and narrator comments on the screen. I believe all could be skipped simply by clicking on the screen if you didn't want to read them. The ending felt a bit muddled to me, but it wasn't too bad.

Gameplay: This was an iHOG/Adventure blend which, of course, meant there was a bit of going back and forth. Thankfully the amount of to-ing and fro-ing was minimized by keeping each section to just a handful of screens.

HOG Scenes: The HOG scenes were your typical junkpiles. The scenes were pretty crisp though, and most of the objects weren't extremely difficult to find.

Minigames/puzzles: The minigames made an effort to fit into the storyline. I found a couple of them to be very difficult, but that wasn't a problem since you could skip any of the games you wanted.

Hints: The hint system was not unlimited since you had to find ravens in the different scenes in order to fill it. Luckily, I didn't have to use all the ravens so that didn't pose a problem for me.

Will Probably Appeal to: those who like iHOG/Adventures and dark-and-eerie games

Will Probably Not Appeal to: those who prefer straight HOG's or like to avoid occult themes in their games

Edited on 08/06/2011 at 5:37:51 PM PST

[Post New]by violinist1981 on Oct 16, 11 10:17 PM
I really liked this game and thought that the storyline was very creative. I did not even know the identity of Shakespere was so disputed- I had heard it mentioned a few times previously and now they even have a movie about it. I had a hard time trying to collect all the ravens and the clovers (scenes that once left you could not go back to), but I really did enjoy playing this game. I have played all 3 games in the midnight mysteries series, and I have liked each of them- and they seem to keep getting better.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Mar 14, 12 12:12 AM
This game was great! It had an intriguing storyline, lovely clear graphics with spooky-jump-out-of-your-chair-scenes, music that was not irritating, and additional objects to find throughout. As I was so engrossed in the story I often forgot to look for them and would have to retrace my steps. I also liked the bonus game and the chance to review the scary moments throughout the game.

5 out of 5 stars.

[Post New]by CelticClover on Mar 28, 12 7:43 PM
Hmmm .. . .I wouldn't know. i CAN'T play it! I hope everyone else liked the game because it sure does sound fun . . .

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Jul 15, 12 5:36 PM
I've been anticipating this game and I wasn't disapponted! It had quite an intensive, comprehensive story line with the added benefit of great graphics, mystery, suspense, music, many unique characters, and lots of surprises! I was glad I bought the CE as I had to refer to it quite often. I was rushed to finish the game. Otherwise, I'd have put more "brain power" into it and not depended so much on the SG. Thanks to **** and BFG

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Apr 13, 13 3:50 PM
Review based upon completion of Game and Bonus Content with almost all achievements.

Another of those games that I finally managed to get to cooperate with me after about 2 years. Words of Warning: If you are not familiar with the life of Mark Twain, do read at least the Wikipedia article about his life first - the story will make much more sense to you. And you won't make much sense of the finer things - like the importance of the Halley Comet on Twain's life.

The Good:

+ setting - you can't get much cooler than Mark Twain and the Mississippi
+ graphics (mostly) and videos well done
+ integration of the ghosts
+ diverse mini puzzles
+ collectibles: clovers and ravens (hints)
+ tough achievements
+ find all items mode (after finding 70 clovers)

The Neutral:

o mini puzzles are usually very easy
o story a little bit all over the place
o some riddles solved faster by trial and error than doing it the intended way (especially during the bonus chapter)

The Bad:

- graphics in most scenes very dark (making finding most of the clovers REALLY hard)
- one no-go riddle: while cracking a code using your keyboard is quite ingenious, it can only be solved on an English layout - for a German one the "@" is on the Q-Key, the "^" is to the left of the 1, but you are supposed to turn a steering wheel the number of times to the left and right based upon the corresponding number to the sign

Bonus Content:

The additional chapter is rather short and features Huckleberry Finn. It's a quasi-continuation of the main story, but you do not need it to understand the main game. You will carry over one item from the regular to the bonus story.

The tough main attraction is the "Dem Bones" minigame, centered around the Twain estate in Hartford. You will have to find 80 bones strewn across several screens, and some of them are tiny and really well hidden. Hint. Do not forget that a skull is made from bone too!

The rest is the usual artwork and some wallpapers.

The Bottom Line: If you like the works of Samuel Clemens this game is a must. But the game is not easy, so if you are easily frustrated I can understand passing on it.

Go to: