Rapunzl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files®: Dire Grove™ Collector's Edition comments and reviews

[Post New]by Rapunzl on Nov 27, 09 10:27 AM
OLDBAY wrote:Still have not finished the game....I'm trying to take my time....I was thinking since ,has been around ,,What game has brought the biggest forums ? I no DG is all the buzz right now...It seems pretty big ....VIP.....in our pond..But was there a bigger forum then this one..I do read most of everyones opinion..as do most of us...But would like to no ,,,,what game would take the record ?....cheers

I think Return to Ravenhearst has the highest record. It's still listed in the top 10 hidden object and large file games and the forum is huge...and it was introduced in 2008! Pretty good record, I'd say.

lindawithag
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by lindawithag on Nov 27, 09 10:51 AM
I am enjoying this game - very much .....I am about half way through...perfect for a long weekend and playing between Thanksgiving cleanup duties...It does seem less challenging that RTR, but still fun. I have no regrets that I purchased the CE - But I must say...I kinda laughed when I saw that the garage (and the garage door) has power while the house does not! This is waaay before you can get the generator working - whoops - not complaining just an observation...now back to Dire Grove for me - But first I need an extra pair of socks and another blanket!

Aravis
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Aravis on Nov 27, 09 11:00 AM
I am not very far, chapter 2, but I also waivered about the higher price. But when I considered the strategy guide was included, it was really a matter of did I want to pay $6 to play it early. I spent that on a magazine at checkout that I throw away - this $6 give me a lot of fun and game play so knowing I was already spending the $14 made it an easy choice. I haven't been disappointed yet!

[Post New]by roxann55 on Nov 27, 09 11:41 AM
Loved it! I felt it was well worth the price. I figured it this way...I can go to a movie, buy drinks, popcorn, gas to get there and back, etc. and spend alot more than 20 bucks for 2 or 3 hours worth of entertainment and have nothing to show for it at the end. I played this for 8+ hours and am ready to start over again. Videos creeped me out, especially since I was playing it at night and alone as hubby was working. Great graphics and sound. Just plain scary fun. Once again, the MCF designers have outdone themselves. Take a bow, folks! You deserve it!!

sissylu419
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by sissylu419 on Nov 27, 09 11:50 AM
Am enjoying this game very much if I can ever finish it! Got all the way to the end and it crashed and my profile was corrupt. So, unfortunately, I had to begin again. Let's hope I can get through this time to the end. Wonderful graphics, sounds, music and places to discover. BFG outdid themselves on this one. I personally think the puzzles are not as easy as many others here have said. Several of them have been most challenging for me...but I like that! Could definitely have done without the video clips, since I think they are the cause of my game crashing. All and all, a wonderful game experience. There is nothing else out there like MCF! Kudos BFG!!!!

samwise50
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by samwise50 on Nov 27, 09 11:57 AM
One word: BRILLIANT !!!

Thank you so much again
Congratulations to all involved in this fantastic production!

linniebean
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by linniebean on Nov 27, 09 12:43 PM
Thank you Mr._Russ for the info. I went ahead and started a new game under a new name before I got your post. Oh well, I want to try to beat my first go around time anyway! So far I'm finding alot more morphs than 1st time. Still loving the game! Good gaming all

Mibbles
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Mibbles on Nov 27, 09 12:54 PM
Awesome game! Kept me at my computer longer than normal. I finished under 6 hours, even going back using the guide to get all of the morphing things. lol I loved how smoothly it all went, and the sound was flawless. The actors did great! as well as the animators.

I did not get to use the phone though under the 2 fishes lock. Nor the snowshoes. I guess I'll need to go through this all again? oh darn. -laughs-

Actually I look forward to trying it all again. Maybe this time I'll get a few more awards!

Again, very, very well done guys.

lynnie11
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by lynnie11 on Nov 27, 09 1:02 PM
This is a great game and I didn't mind paying the high price this one time. When I get to the extras I'll know better if it was worth it.

My only complaint so far are the numerous misspellings (did I spell that right??) This really shouldn't happen in a high quality game - actually it shouldn't happen in any game.

I'm looking for a walkthrough, is it out yet or do we wait for the December issue of the game?

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Nov 27, 09 2:09 PM
A printable walkthrough should be available at Gamezebo. However, you do know that there is a walkthrough included from the main menu, don't you?

donnasm
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by donnasm on Nov 27, 09 2:27 PM
I am loving the game so far - I must be a bit slow, but I see this as giving me hours of entertainment. As for the $19.99 price, so far I think it is worth it. It is my birthday gift to myself. I believe in supporting those who have the talent to create these wonderful games, so every now and then I have no problem paying a bit more and getting more.

[Post New]by Neverlosehope on Nov 27, 09 2:45 PM
calsmom2001 wrote:
Coronagold wrote:And the guy up there who said he was disappointed by finishing it in 3 hours must've been the same guy who finished Riven in one hour. Go back to your home planet, Ego. They miss you.

ROFLMAO

[Post New]by Neverlosehope on Nov 27, 09 2:48 PM
Neverlosehope wrote:
calsmom2001 wrote:
Coronagold wrote:And the guy up there who said he was disappointed by finishing it in 3 hours must've been the same guy who finished Riven in one hour. Go back to your home planet, Ego. They miss you.

ROFLMAO

That comment got me too!

[Post New]by whoomsa on Nov 27, 09 2:50 PM
I am absolutely LOVING this game, but was wondering if anyone else was having trouble with it "freezing" all the time?

QuietLurker
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,497 Posts

[Post New]by QuietLurker on Nov 27, 09 3:40 PM
I think the game is great - and that people can play it various ways is also very good.

I find the puzzles too hard and am glad I can skip them. I love the morphing objects and am glad I can check the strategy guide often, so I don't miss any.

I am not good at adventure games, and I doubt I will play this a second time, so I am both taking my own sweet time now, and following the strategy guide carefully so I see all there is to see.

I am sure I won't get many achievements, but won't feel cheated if I don't find all the bonuses because I don't.

I also like that BFG keeps being innovative and trying new things. With this game, however, I just don't like the videos. I haven't read nearly all this thread, so this may have already been mentioned. I didn't see Blair Witch, and maybe it was this same way - but I don't see how the videos are being shot by someone other than the students. Supposedly the students are shooting videos - but it is obvious that they can't be shooting them all. Maybe later in the game, it will become apparent just who is shooting them.

High quality graphics, good HOGs, excellent overall. Thank you, BFG!

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Nov 27, 09 5:43 PM
MCF Dire Grove is a good game but for me it is not as good as MCF RTR.

Good – I love the hidden object game play. It is the same as MCF RTR. The graphics are clear and the objects for the most part are not too difficult to find.

I like searching for the morphing items. That was a unique and interesting twist to the game.

Good and Bad - I like the live actors and the videos but I would have preferred that the clips not be shaky and full of static. I didn’t like the Blair Witch effect.

Bad – The puzzles were not interesting, varied or challenging. The puzzles seemed to be sort of stale and not up to the normal MCF standard. There also weren’t as many puzzles as we have seen in the MCF series.

For me this game is not worth three times the price of MCF RTR or Madame Fate. It is a good game but the extra game content of one hidden object game and one puzzle doesn’t seem to be worth it. There was a lot of hype about secrets to the MCF series being in the extra content and there is just not anything of substance there, or it’s hidden so well that no one has found it yet.

Ugly - At the end of the game you cannot exit out of the extremely, extremely, extremely long credits.

The reward for achieving all of the badges is a nauseating video. After working so hard to achieve all the goals I feel like the office tour video is a punishment rather than a reward. It would be ok to see it once but I don’t want to have to watch that or listen to that music every time I enter the game. It is so out of character with the game. It makes me dread stopping and re-entering the game or playing the game subsequent times.

Rating - I would give the game itself 4 of 5 stars. Overall I would give it 3 of 5 stars due to the hype about the extra content that turns out to be disappointing and the over pricing of the game.

I really want to like this game and I do like the game but I don’t love it. I think the way it was marketed has put me off and as a result I don’t feel the same joy that I felt when I played MCF RTR.

Edited on 11/27/2009 at 8:23:38 PM PST

n2u2nyte
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by n2u2nyte on Nov 27, 09 6:34 PM
Great HOG and Adventure game. A must get game at that. I love this game,can't wait for the next one to come out.

Imansaray
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by Imansaray on Nov 27, 09 6:47 PM
This is the best MCF game that the company has ever made. I like the live action elements and it was nice that there wasn't a timer to worry about. I had played the game straight through and loved every minute of it. Return to Ravenhearst was my favorite, but this one trumped that one. I hope they make more MCF games like this. The one thing that they could fix is to make a way that you don't have to sit through the long credits.

Edited on 11/27/2009 at 6:50:43 PM PST

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Nov 27, 09 8:01 PM
Fabulous game...haven't finished it but i wanted to give the love it deserves.

[Post New]by wendylosangeles on Nov 27, 09 8:06 PM
so I finished the game in 5 hrs 19 minutes. Will play again over the weekend.

One word: AWESOME !!

One Question: Why, when I finished did I still have my snow shoes and the soap sudz left? was I supposed to wash the shoes in the washing machine in the basement? LOL!

seriously, am I supposed to have those left ???

LOOOVED this game !! Well worth the extra $$ !

Go to: