Bhilithinn
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Bhilithinn on Mar 20, 10 12:52 PM
I loved this game! I haven't completed the bonus game yet, but completed the main game. I bought the CE mainly because I didn't want to have to wait for the regular version, but also because the quality of the game was such that I felt it was worth paying the money for some extras.

The graphics were gorgeous. The music was good. The gameplay was engaging and the storyline exciting and intriguing. The hidden objects were well done, and although there was some back and forth, the "adventure" aspect of it was very well done too.

I appreciated having the strategy guide. The gameplay was straight forward enough that I didn't have to be constantly using it. But I was happy to have it for a few times where I got stuck, got disoriented, or couldn't find where my next hidden object spot was.

Would love to see more games like this.

Chaorite
Clownfish
Clownfish
940 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Dark Parables: Curse of Briar Rose Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Chaorite on Mar 20, 10 1:33 PM
I have to say, I adored this game!

The graphics were excellent, not too dark, and the variety of scenes to explore made it a challenge to recall where each one was. I especially liked the teleportaion device because backtracking between the godmother's statue and the castle could have been a real pain otherwise.

Having cursed objects to find makes it especially challenging because one has to scan the scene and remember what one has seen rathr than just having the cursed item flicker in front of one's eyes and wham, you have only to spot the change as it happens. That would be too easy.

What I found especially wonderful was that the things we were looking for were components to objects we actually needed rather than being silly unrelated things like a coffee grinder which had no bearing on the story at all. Those kind of games have always annoyed me.

For me it was a cross between Royal House of Stone (the exploration of a castle and glittering areas to indicate where you have to solve the next piece) and Magic Encyclopedia (finding pieces of relevant objects to use). It was in fact, the PERFECT combination of both!

Many, many more like this please! To hell with the done-to-death looking for irrelevant objects piled into a room. This kind of game is so much more of a challenge for all it's myriad of environments, puzzles and problem solving.

Please don't cut corners on the next one and make it shorter to satisfy the demand I know will be out here. That happened with Dream Chronicles 3 and oh dear, what a disappointment. Yes the demand will be (and I suspect already is) absolutely out there but I'm sure I speak for all when I say that we would like a quality game such as this first installment rather than a quick fix. Well done is well worth waiting for!

Brilliant job guys! Pass the word around to other game developers that you've found the winning combination and they could all take a page from your book!

Cheers

Charoite

Capthowdy64
Minnow
Minnow
268 Posts

[Post New]by Capthowdy64 on Mar 21, 10 12:33 AM
Just finished the base game.I don't wanna be mean but when it's over sit still.The version here is worth the 20$ price.I didn't use the guide much but it did come in handy.I had a great time and it really sucks you in.Kind of like Pandora's Box did.But this one was harder.The puzzles can be a pain but that's alright.The best part isd finding the object.Loved that.If there's anything else out there like this,please let me know.

kelseyo5
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by kelseyo5 on Mar 21, 10 12:54 PM
Where can can i buy it in stores

bobobear
Flounder
Flounder
2,315 Posts

[Post New]by bobobear on Mar 21, 10 3:05 PM
Love it, love it, love it. I am only on chapter 7 right now. This game reminds me a lot of RTR and Dire Grove. Thanks .

suzyc
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by suzyc on Mar 21, 10 9:21 PM
I LOVED this game. I didn't think any game would ever compare with Princess Issabella for me. But I was definitely in for a happy surprise. I had no problems loading or playing this game. It was so much fun though, that I couldn't stop. So the daily housework just had to wait. But I highly recommend it!

Suzy

kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

[Post New]by kelnjor on Mar 21, 10 10:46 PM
kelseyo5 wrote:Where can can i buy it in stores

hi, i am not sure that you can buy in a store, but when you purchase here, you have the option of buying the disk as well, (sent in mail).

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Mar 22, 10 2:12 AM
I'm a rogue too. I disliked two things about this game. First, the fragmented objects. I didn't even need to look at what I was supposed to be finding for most of them. I just clicked on the items that stood out and then searched for the last couple using the images -- which weren't actually the same color so looked pretty different anyway.

I thought I'd never say this, but after playing several F-O scenes I would have given ANYTHING to see a junkpile H-O scene right down to the hourglass and hotdog.

And second, I HATE that you pay 20.00 for the CE and then don't necessariily get the extra, bonus items. You have to work for them by playing extra hard games, or earning achievements -- I know I'll never get to see the bonus office tour in Dire Grove (not that I care about THAT one). It doesn't seem fair. Goldurnit, if I pay 20.00 I want the whole darn thing! I've ALREADY earned it by PAYING for it.

I did like the morphing objects and it was beautiful. Big whoop. I'd rather play Milenniium Secrets with the clunky graphics.

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Mar 22, 10 7:37 PM
kelseyo5 wrote:Where can can i buy it in stores

I have seen every game like this sold at Walmart, I am sure it is there too. All the Ravenhearst and even some of the not as popular are there. They are always 19.95 there.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Mar 25, 10 8:29 AM
wrath6 wrote:i agree with previous comments regarding graphics and story line - love the Grimm Fairy tales but i dont agree with those that say its similar to RTR or Dire Grove. To me this is more a HOG than IHOG, you are just locating items in each section - and place them back in the story. I will purchase because its enjoyable but will wait for regular release, i am still waiting for something closer to RTR or Dire Grove.

Agree, too, on all points. And another post remarked about bonus puzzles being that involving marbles?? Another reason for me not to have purchased the CE.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Mar 25, 10 10:17 PM
I purchased this game the day it came out and probably should have posted a review then, but I haven't had a chance to do so and I haven't had a chance to get back to the game since I finished it that night. I have never purchased a CE game before because I just didn't feel they were worth the price and I am a patient person. However, I took the plunge with this one. I wasn't disappointed. I haven't seen the regular version yet, obviously, but I felt the additional content was worth it this time. The game itself is so wonderful, I just couldn't stop after the hour demo and I had to buy it. I did take my time and found that it took me around 4-5 hours to complete everything, including the additional material. My only complaint was that it ended sort of abruptly with the prince. I wanted more. I wanted to find out what happened to the prince and to rescue him as I had rescued Briar Rose.

The graphics were good, items weren't impossible to find and I, too, like the component aspect in hidden objects. I found I was too caught up in the story to look for the morphing objects, although I did find a few, so it will be nice to go back and search for them as well. The music was great, everything was just great about this game. Thanks BF!

Edited on 03/25/2010 at 10:17:47 PM PST

Can't find the **** key!!!!

[Post New]by mamaspook on Mar 29, 10 9:15 PM
Hi .....and help!!!

LOVING the game ....but I must be REALLY think because I can't find the key for the box in the graveyard !! Got the dolls..which I think are something to do with ...but stuck now!! Any suggestions?

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Apr 1, 10 10:46 AM
I just completed the game in hard mode-WOW--it takes alot of patience and I couldn't do it in one sitting. The objects were easier to find, knowing what to expect, but the marble puzzles to take their toll after awhile. Please Blue Tea--love your games, your graphics, but next time--only one marble puzzle, maybe.

lushknight
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by lushknight on Apr 6, 10 6:38 PM
I really liked this,I took my time,but even so I was at chapter 5 at the end of the demo,I bought it. I enjoyed the game,even if a couple bits were quite small. When I finished I tackled hard mode which has no hints or skip features. I gave it my best but I admit I did have to check the walk through for one of the marble games. Overall, not a hard game but a very enjoyable and satisfying one. I look forward to the next episode.

[Post New]by lookformorekl on Apr 23, 10 10:38 AM
In the final scene Briar Rose handed me a crown and indicated that I was to collect a message of the next location from the dove. Even when I completed the bonus adventure I still had no location message from the dove for continuing the story. Is there to be a sequel? or, did I miss something?

[Post New]by Brn2ply on May 7, 10 11:19 AM
Okay---you got me sold !!!! My Mother's Day present to me. I hope this is not a one time play though. I don't mind if the game takes skill and brains but when (like Shutters Island) you get done you wonder what the plot was or you can only replay the same old "stuff" then I am not happy. LOVE BIG FISH, Brn2ply

oh_mags
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by oh_mags on May 10, 10 1:10 PM
I can give this game the greatest compliment I can give a game: I didn't want it to end.

I was hoping I could keep unlocking things and finding new parts to the story so it didn't ever end.

The graphics are amazing, they look like realistic storybook.

The music was nice, I actually listened to it from time to time while playing. One little thing, Briar Rose is a Scottish princess... but she has an American accent? I guess that is better than someone trying to fake an accent and it sounding terrible.

The searching and challenges were difficult, while not being migraine inducing.

The story was in-depth and interesting. It was the same story we all have grown up with while having little new bits that keep you wondering what is going to happen next.

Spoilers... sort of:

The extra adventure was great, you got new info and more challenge. I was so excited to see something about the prince. After waking up Briar I was hoping they would bring him back so she would have someone, her one-true love. And then you find out about her sister and I got more excited, maybe Briar doesn't have to be alone!

So, I played through the hard mode, to get to the locked area.

The hard mode, by-the-way, was fantastic! It was actually harder without being annoying and while you did somethings over again, the difficultly was turned up enough to keep you interested!

The locked area... I was so excited about this area! I thought it may be the prince or Ivy and Briar would get her love or sister, so she wouldn't have to be alone.

But, it was just a statue of a frog with concept art. Blah.

That was the biggest let down ever.

With all the great things in this game, it almost seemed like the locked room was an afterthought, as if they just needed to throw in some sort of prize for finishing the extra adventure and for trying out the hard mode.

They could have gone so many ways with the locked room, especially after introducing Ivy and the Prince in the extra adventure.

End of possible spoilers!

This game was great overall... except for the few things mentioned above. I can't wait for the next one, which was so nicely hinted at the end of this game.

They could have gone a little further with the extra story, but except for that little blemish... this is one of the best hidden object games I have ever played... I have played far too many of them.

10/10

[Post New]by SmallMitsukurina on May 21, 10 12:05 AM
Hi there!
I'm just finished this game and I love it! Cute storyline, manifold mini-games, easy hidden object and many locations!

[Post New]by Vampira668 on Aug 1, 10 12:18 PM
Downloaded fine. But alot of gitching. Had to uninstall. Just bought the computer too. Wasted my money.

[Post New]by Moonlight33 on Aug 9, 10 9:39 AM
I did not know that there was another game, when I had just purchased this one and this one is very very hard for us old ladies... hahha... i am stuck on the glass gobblet can not go beyond that one to do the entire game forward.

will someone tell me how to find the right glass goblet for the cubby hole ?

thanks Moonlight

Go to: